• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sad we didn't get this; looked very much like the grey/brown era of games we use to get during PS3/360 days.

As everyone else has said it does feel like an AI generated this game using a mix of Assassins Creed with Uncharted and the Order.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Could have been fun but I undertstand why they went with GoT instead, this vertical slice lacks a strong hook.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I love the setting and played almost every single game with Steampunk/Victorian design in the last few years, like Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Dishonored, Dishonored 2, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, The Order: 1886, Thief (2014), GreedFall, Vampyr. But Got was the better choice. Imo, there was nothing special about this vertical slice.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Like the middle eastern setting and main character design, but I wish it went further with it. I don't really see what it does different, especially among Sonys first party titles, so I can see why Sony wouldn't greenlight it.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Generic game but my favorite type of game.

Sad to know this was cancelled. GOT is the first Sony AAA that disappointed me. Good atmosphere and setting but so boring... I'm tired of those kind of OW.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe they killed it after that much work. Looked interesting. Too bad :(
Its def just a vertical slice. there wont be much more beyond what you see in this demo, maybe some exploration of mechanics that wont go further than white box in a separate demo. It also seems this demo was slowly transformed into ghost, so in the end its a natural step where you try something, you think you might have it, but then realize something is missing or doesn't work and you will have to readjust until it does. It can end up being small things or like here, a whole redesign of the setting, theme and story just to have a more solid vision to rally behind.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Its def just a vertical slice. there wont be much more beyond what you see in this demo, maybe some exploration of mechanics that wont go further than white box in a separate demo. It also seems this demo was slowly transformed into ghost, so in the end its a natural step where you try something, you think you might have it, but then realize something is missing or doesn't work and you will have to readjust until it does. It can end up being small things or like here, a whole redesign of the setting, theme and story just to have a more solid vision to rally behind.
Yeah I didn't expect the actual playable area to match even 1% of the visible city but all of this still feels like 8 months of work.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Incredibly derivative. You can see why it wasn't given the go ahead, it offers nothing new or unique.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
It looks fairly by the numbers, with a few cool things.

Glad they went with Ghost though. Again, fairly by the numbers as far as gameplay goes, but a fairly refreshing setting that just oozes atmosphere and beauty.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
It was pretty, but yeah looks boring. Also, those voices were terrible. I'm so tired of video game bad guy voices. Why do they have to be so overblown and cartoony?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly true, the dev that had this stuff up on his website also had character models of creatures/monsters that don't appear in the video. How far along was it I can't say, but it seems to be more than just some target render.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Looks far too ambitious for what the slice is aiming for. Like it can't tell if it wants to be medieval Uncharted, or something open world with heavily scripted missions. There's environmental destruction, building scaling, contextual attacks and destruction, dynamic damage, and a lot of convoluted unscripted stuff that the player would never do, like the bridge being destroyed.

I'm going to assume after the Order 1886 Sony wasn't eager to chance more linear games, and it would have been very costly to put these systems into an open world game. It probably didn't help that you would also get "It looks like Assassins Creed, Shadow of Mordor/War".

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Not sad we didn't get this; looked very much like the grey/brown era of games we use to get during PS3/360 days.

As everyone else has said it does feel like an AI generated this game using a mix of Assassins Creed with Uncharted and the Order.

LOL. You're exactly right, would feel right at home last gen with its aesthetic.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly true, the dev that had this stuff up on his website also had character models of creatures/monsters that don't appear in the video. How far along was it I can't say, but it seems to be more than just some target render.
A vertical slice is not a target render. A vertical slice is a section of a game that provides insight how the rest of the game might look, play and feel like before you expand it to multiple areas. I am not saying they only did what you see in the video, but don't expect that they had a ton more executed beyond this.

But projects often get cancelled at this stage or fully transformed into another project.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks far too ambitious for what the slice is aiming for. Like it can't tell if it wants to be medieval Uncharted, or something open world with heavily scripted missions. There's environmental destruction, building scaling, contextual attacks and destruction, dynamic damage, and a lot of convoluted unscripted stuff that the player would never do, like the bridge being destroyed.
Why would you assume all of that wasn't scripted?

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I liked it. But then again I'm a sucker for swashbuckling flavoured adventures, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Why would you assume all of that wasn't scripted?

It was, but a vertical slice is a demonstration of what you plan to develop for the real game. It doesn't matter if it's scripted if you actually make those systems for the real game, the problem comes in when what you vertical slice is unfeasible for the budget, tools, talent, and time that you have within the project itself.

Did the LOU2, Horizon, and GoW reveal demos have lots of scripted elements? Probably. Did it matter? No, because final games lined up enough to match what the scripted elements showed. That's also ignoring the fact that most studios don't just *poof* a scripted demo out of thin air. It's a mix of finished elements, and fake elements, or real gameplay that's recorded in a cinematic fashion. The problem is that most games aren't made 1 element at a time. A lot of things are progressing together, and some things may be further or behind others. The hair might be fantastic, but the body animations might be lagging, or the combat might be perfect but the ai itself but be dumb as bricks.

I remember a video demo for Deus Ex Human Revolution that didn't have any detection. A stealth game with no ai detection. The dev playing it played the stealth perfectly so he never got caught, but if he had, nothing would have happened. As a watcher you would never had known, and no one did, until a dev talked about it in post.

The point I was making was that this demo doesn't seem feasible to accomplish. It doesn't know what it wants to be.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Some cool details in there, watching closer. A tear comes out of the main dude's eye after he says "It won't be me." and the guy leaves to rat him out. The way the main dude acted and the name of the game makes me think he already knows the outcome of events he's going through and is trying to fight against fate. Could have been an interesting story.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I like sort of Alchemy vibe but everything else is uninteresting. Also, I can see a lot of animations that were reused for Ghost of Tsushima haha.