• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Subtitles, yay or nah?

• Yes

Votes: 865 81.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 86 8.1%
  • Sometimes?

Votes: 108 10.2%

• Total voters

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. If the voices have a heavy accent or otherwise just hard for me to understand or there's always a lot of noise going on when people or talking then I'll turn them on, but generally no.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
Always on. I hate mishearing something in a cutscene and wondering if I missed something important. Yeah, I can rewatch it on YouTube or something, but I'd rather avoid doing that.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Always for me.

Sometimes I can't always hear what's being said clearly.

And generally I'm gaming at a fairly low volume level so as to not wake up my kids or wife.
Just in case if you havent known the solution, you can always wear headset

I myself still use subtitles because english is not my first language, and due to some circumstances in the game i may mishear some words

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I always turn them on. Some games it isn't really needed but then others end up being like The Last of Us where characters talking end up too far away to actually hear, so the subtitles fill in the gaps.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the mixing in game audio is always so bad I have to have subtitles on for fear of missing some dialogue.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
tumblr_mlgiapWHmT1qdjdv3o1_500.gif

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Always off.

I feel like I miss a lot of what's happening onscreen by trying to keep up and read sentences.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Always on for games and tv. I like knowing what's being said and can pay attention to subtitles and what's happening on screen.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Subtitles everytime for TV and games.

I like to know everything that is said and if there are any noise distractions they help massively

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sometimes. subs are super useful if the sound mix (or accents, fast talking, outside noise, etc.) is bad but then i find myself reading text instead of watching the scene then i feel like i'm missing out on the visuals. its a tough balance. or should i say, i only turn subs on out of absolute necessity.

Falcon16

Oct 25, 2017
ALWAYS! The nature of games means that sounds that drown out dialog can happen at any time. There is also weird, new vocabulary in games.

BornRZA

Oct 25, 2017
Usually off for me. I don't like HUDS and would prefer to turn off the ones I feel add to screen clutter that I don't particularly need. If there is a separate slider for dialogue volume I usually turn that up and disable subtitles. If it's a great game and I'm enjoying it any dialogue I miss just validates a later playthrough anyway.
Non English native games are the only exception, I'll need subtitles on to understand anything. Sekiro for example just has better Japanese VA I'd rather use so in cases like that I leave subtitles on

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I turn them on. Like someone said, the sound mixing is terrible/not intended for the average TV experience it seems. I get it sounds great and accurate in a surround sound setup but unless I use direct audio on my headphones ect. the whole Realistic/3D audio stuff is just bad for me. Even worse are games that have 0 options for this stuff. Sometimes I just wanna turn the dialog up - stares at Mass Effect! -

Having audio come from the side and not hearing it all almost frustrated the hell out of me so I just instantly turn it on. As well as when I stream, its for the viewers too.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Never because I end up looking at them instead of what's on screen. I like to minimise clutter.

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
I always turn it on.

I retain information better with visual and audio. Also, it's sometimes hard to hear what's being said.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I have ADHD and bad hearing—I cannot play a video game without subtitles; I will understand literally nothing.

The first section of Nier Automata was almost unplayable and I never had any idea what was happening because they didn't let me turn on subtitles first :( my friend had to explain what happened after I beat the section

If I could get IRL subtitles I would in a heartbeat. Hate having to ask people to repeat themselves 5 times, it's especially embarrassing when people have accents—your English is great and your accent isn't making it difficult to understand I'm just bad at hearing :/

Last edited:

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Varies on how hard it is to hear the dialogue against the music. I may have it up as just in case something gets drowned out, but otherwise I prefer when they are off.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Tinnitus plus how poorly speech mixing tends to be in games means I always turn them on.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a native English speaker. I can manage without it for sure. However, subtitle makes life easier if it's available :p

Orfax

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Up until a couple of years ago I always switched sub-titles on, but then I noticed something. When people were talking I wasn't focusing on the action/events/people, I was focusing on reading the sub-titles and I felt I was missing out on stuff that was happening in the scene. Now days I switch them off whenever I can, but occasionally switch them on whenever I have to turn the sound down. This lead me to buy a nice set of headphones recently because I was frustrated having to switch sub-titles on.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
The first thing I do before I start the game is go into options and make sure subtitles are on. Couldn't hear shit during the ps2 era.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Always on. Partially because games tend to have bad sound mixing during conversations when other stuff is going on.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Once movies started getting audio mixed where the dialog is hardly distinguishable and then suddenly very loud action scenes I decided that subtitles needed to be standard and the volume lowered at all times.

edit: oh christ, I'm in gaming. Yes subtitles are still always enabled.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. But I wish every game has an option to resize the font because boy those subtitles can get a little bit tiny.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Always, nothing pisses me off more than a game that starts into cutscenes without configuring subtitles first. Days Gone being the latest offender.

As many have said yes in general games have terrible audio mixes. 99% of the time I have to turn down sound effects and increase dialogue. The definitive edition of Sleeping Dogs is just terrible, with its intense echo filter for no fucking reason.

And yes many of us are dads and only game while kids are asleep so we have to keep volume low anyway. Subs forever.