• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I've been reading some of these threads for the past hour, and many of them are really rough (a few, thankfully are hopeful). My dad's side of the family are big Trumpers (though not Q) so I relate to some of the mourning of posters who have lost loved ones to a fact-averse social media cult. But I was still not prepared for a number of the more heartbreaking stories.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thank the universe every day I haven't lost someone in my life to bullshit, but it probably helps that I live in the Northeast.

It's just insane how weak-willed people are, exacerbated to the nth degree by information age technology.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pain all too familiar to me with how I lost my mother to born again christianity......
They have my empathy and my hopes that they handle it better than I have.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone in one of the threads said it best... Now that I know they sell merch, it all pieces together

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Social media platforms which are dragging ass on deplatforming this bullshit and its biggest players are partly responsible.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Depressing that a bunch of assholes can divide people in such a way. Some of these are just heartbreaking to read, the guy that says he feels nothing when he hugs his mother, that is some deep psychological loss there. I couldn't imagine a world where I did not love my mother. Good thing she said "Trump is an absolute fuckhead" to ease my mind.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I was reading this subreddit the other day, I really gotta wonder where this all goes once Biden is sworn in.

My family are all Democrat voters and never really spend their time in social media echo chambers so I can't imagine what it's like to be susceptible to stuff like this.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how many families have been torn apart by this, and QAnoners will be left alone but won't care because they're too proud for admit theyre wrong.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is currently happening to my mother. She was already down the Fox News rabbit hole and now she's falling into this.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this.

Forgive me, I actually know very very little about Qanon.

Why are they talking about people who believe in this shit as if they're brain dead or on some drug? Does this really take such a hold of people's lives that it dominates every aspect of it?

Isn't it just some "government are lizards" horse shit?

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I cut out my cousin once I learned he was a Sandy Hook "truther" and while it predates Q anon it still hurts. When we were younger we were inseparable but he got into drugs and then when he got off them he went to a batshit crazy church which changed him from a Democrat that voted for Obama in 2008 to a gun loving, bible thumping Republican by 2012. The Sandy Hook stuff is where I cut him out of my life. That church changed him and even made him cut his long hair because "real men have short hair".

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand this.

Why are they talking about people who believe in this shit as if they're brain dead or on some drug? Does this really take such a hold of people's lives that it dominates every aspect of it?

More like Democrats eat babies type shit. They can't be reasoned with facts or anything. In another thread someone was talking about their friend who got sucked in. He tries to talk to her about Disney and Marvel, the stuff they used to share interest in, to avoid the conspiracy stuff but she would change the subject back to the conspiracy shit every time.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't understand this.

Yes, it's a cult. It takes in people who feel lonely and disaffected and tells them they actually know the secrets to the universe. A lot of people start off already believing other conspiracy theories, like Flat Earth, Sandy Hook, 9/11, etc. and then they get roped into Q because it's, as Dan Olsen put it, a big tent conspiracy theory that can fit just about anything into it.

Conspiracy theories are all about giving simple answers to complex questions, and people understand the world around them is getting worse, but Facebook tells them it's all pedophilic satanic liberals, so no worries, Trump will save us.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I don't understand this.

The internet is really good at creating echo-chambers without anyone to question some line of thought. Something to always be mindful of regardless of who you are I reckon.

Plus I guess given the pandemic some people have more time to spend online.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff breaks my heart man. How the hell are we supposed to combat against this shit?

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
I was in a similar situation with my Dad and Fox News. My Dad passed away a few months ago, and he spent his remaining days watching Fox News. I still remember on one of the times he was discharged from hospital, the moment he came back, he turned on Hannity.

One of my biggest regrets is not canceling his Fox sub 2 years ago.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
My niece fell into it and it was absolutely devastating. That is what made me finally fully nuke my Facebook account. It wasn't worth that. Not remotely. I may never get to talk to her again.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
The only family I have left are completely lost to this - they're each alone and in pain, but bring up any of the lies and its met with a rage I've never seen or heard in them before. Violent and seething. We literally can't hold a conversation without falling on the third rails that separate our realities - COVID, the election, protests, any of it. Its been months since there has been any word between us.

None of this shit is funny, and nobody has the right to do this in the name of holding on to their fucking jobs

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this.

Q Anon followers have murdered people, kidnapped children, and all manner of other crimes and misdemeanors. It's very dangerous and essentially a cult.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I find it hard to read this subreddit because in the back of my mind I'm telling myself that some of these stories have to be fake.

But even if they are, it's probably a much lower number than I'd like to think.

This shit is real. Can't imagine losing a loved one to something so absurd.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to read this subreddit because in the back of my mind I'm telling myself that some of these stories have to be fake.

But even if they are, it's probably a much lower number than I'd like to think.

This shit is real. Can't imagine losing a loved one to something so absurd.
Some are fake, it's Reddit, but even if only half the stories are real then that's insane in itself. And I'm willing to bet it's more than half that are real, the motivations to lie about something so awful and humiliating are pretty low, even anonymously on the Internet.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand this.

The people pushing the horseshit have a financial interest in keeping people hooked so they end up using cult-like tactics in a kind of decentralized way. That, plus it's intertwined with American Christianity in some weird ways and the selling point of "pedophiles!" makes it easy to suck people in.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
xtafs8udttg51.jpg

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
My moms not into Q but she believes that the government shoots chem trails in the sky to hide the existence of a second Sun..... I don't talk to my mother anymore. :/

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Had to unfriend someone i had on my facebook since I was an intern over 10 years ago. He too proudly announced he was joining parlor at the end of the month.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
one of my loonier cousins has been posting "TRUST THE PLAN" shit on facebook ever since the election but I'm not sure whether it's a q thing or just her usual religious fanatic thing

the line is blurry

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
My fucking father and both my uncle are teetering on the edge of this Q BULL SHIT.

For the love of god someone please teach me how to pull them out. I try multiple ways, the biggest problem is that I can't even fucking link to most good Youtube videos that argue this bullshit because my family is Vietnamese, he does speak English but he really hate watching US Youtuber. And fuck me if there not a bunch of BS old ass Vietnamese Youtuber spouting this BS.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Dude. I know. She lives in the mountains of hawaii in poverty. I support her and got her a laptop so she could get her GED but she..as an old woman experienced the internet the same way we did as kids. She almost fell for a nigerian prince scam. I'm not fucking kidding. I had to beg her to never give money to a person she doesn't know without consulting me. She does think Trump is the devil and is awful but she DID fall for the Plandemic video. She sent me and my girlfriend a novels worth of word vomit begging us to never be vaccinated because Bill Gates and Fauci want to mind control us or something. I only responded with "No". That's literally the last thing i said to her. I Dont know what to do at this point. I guess use it as an excuse to cut her out of my life. But yeah. She thinks the government is hiding the existence of a second sun. Oh. She thinks 50 foot giants skeletons were found in the caves of hawaii. Lol

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
The internet is really good at creating echo-chambers without anyone to question some line of thought. Something to always be mindful of regardless of who you are I reckon.

Plus I guess given the pandemic some people have more time to spend online.
It's sad, because the internet used to be a place where that sort of stuff was refuted. But then, social media became the largest message board in the world and relied on algorithms to put people into like minded groups instead of people choosing where they got information.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I've had three people tell me not to take the covid vaccine and two of them also told me not to let anyone have my DNA because the government would frame me for a crime and told me I was naive to believe they wouldn't. Shit destroys people's brains.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
I think we should seriously be talking about this as a sort of disinformation epidemic. It's really insane how damaging these types of beliefs can be.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Lies spread faster than the truth.

The truth is boring and uninteresting. And that is scarier than believing Obama is a lizard pedophile for some people.

This is the far extreme of information poison but it's still everywhere. The 5G garbage, all the stuff surrounding COVID. Bill Gates and Elon Musk implanting the mark of the beast in us with vaccines and brain chips. I really do think this is just another dopamine hit for people. Believing all this stuff gives them a reason to band together in these communities and freefall from one rabbit hole to another. It's sad to see. The internet for all the amazing shit it provides (in moderation) has literally allowed for people to live in their own fairytale reality.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
one of my loonier cousins has been posting "TRUST THE PLAN" shit on facebook ever since the election but I'm not sure whether it's a q thing or just her usual religious fanatic thing

the line is blurry

"Trust the plan" is definitely QAnon but I suppose it's possible they are reposting QAnon stuff without realizing it.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone explain to me why a lot of this should fall apart once Biden is sworn in? I live in the uk but it's here in a big way

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me why a lot of this should fall apart once Biden is sworn in? I live in the uk but it's here in a big way

Oh I don't think it will fall apart at all.

I think the best case scenario is that it becomes a bit more niche, the less dedicated people get out and the more dedicated people get even more hardcore.

Oct 7, 2018
USA
The only family I have left are completely lost to this - they're each alone and in pain, but bring up any of the lies and its met with a rage I've never seen or heard in them before. Violent and seething. We literally can't hold a conversation without falling on the third rails that separate our realities - COVID, the election, protests, any of it. Its been months since there has been any word between us.

None of this shit is funny, and nobody has the right to do this in the name of holding on to their fucking jobs

My situation pretty much exactly including my mom.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of them believed that Trump was in control of everything and would defeat Biden-there was a whole script etc.

Then Trump lost and suddenly the facade fell. Doesn't seem like this person is a government insider if they got this all wrong. The "drops" stopped happening and all of a sudden people were freaking out and wondering what went wrong. They had been told for years something different.

Look. These people are all fucking Looney Tunes. There's no getting through to them. They are lost to us and are a danger to society.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude. I know. She lives in the mountains of hawaii in poverty. I support her and got her a laptop so she could get her GED but she..as an old woman experienced the internet the same way we did as kids. She almost fell for a nigerian prince scam. I'm not fucking kidding. I had to beg her to never give money to a person she doesn't know without consulting me. She does think Trump is the devil and is awful but she DID fall for the Plandemic video. She sent me and my girlfriend a novels worth of word vomit begging us to never be vaccinated because Bill Gates and Fauci want to mind control us or something. I only responded with "No". That's literally the last thing i said to her. I Dont know what to do at this point. I guess use it as an excuse to cut her out of my life. But yeah. She thinks the government is hiding the existence of a second sun. Oh. She thinks 50 foot giants skeletons were found in the caves of hawaii. Lol
Older folks don't have the requisite digital and internet literacy to be able to discern fact from fiction effectively online. A lot of people cannot distinguish between a reputable website and an unreputable one full of bullshit. These are skills you pick up early on in internet usage and through the modern education system, but older folks largely finished their education by the time the internet was even in its infancy and thus it was just thrust upon them with no guidance pretty much.

A lot of it is also confirmation bias, loneliness, declining mental faculties and a bunch of other factors, but the literacy issue is prevalent with pretty much every case of an older person falling for this stuff.