• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently replaying Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac age and growing up it was one of my favourite Final Fantasy titles. I don't remember beating the super bosses the first time around in the vanilla version so I decided I would give it a try this time. This means fulfilling certain criteria to obtain the ultimate weapons. Some of the ridiculous requirements really sucked a lot of the fun out of the game for me. To obtain some of the better weapons you have to go to a shop and sell loot in a particular combination to make certain other loot appear and then buy that loot and sell it in another certain combination until you make the weapon you want appear. As far as I'm aware the game gives you zero indication on how to achieve said combinations and you are forced to use a guide. A lot of the starting loot can only be obtained by fulfilling obnoxious criteria such as wandering around killing 10 types of one enemy and causing a rare enemy type to appear and stealing off rare enemy and then having to leave the area to do the same thing multiple times to get enough of the item. There are also certain enemies you have to farm off that have a 20% chance of appearing in one room in the entire game which you have to spend time farming/stealing off to obtain enough loot to sell off. There was another enemy that appears in one spawn point in the entire game and I had to wait until the area weather changed from wet to dry until it appeared at the one spawn point so I could farm TWELVE items I needed to sell off to make the loot I wanted to appear in the bazaar. I won't even go into stuff like entering and re-entering a room that has a 1% chance of a weapon chest appearing so you can open it to obtain a weapon. Obnoxious RNG mechanics aside my main issue with the mechanics required to achieve the requirements is how the game doesn't help you along in how to achieve your said goal. How is it fair to expect people to know that an enemy appears at a single spawn point in the entire game during a certain time and you have to sell the items it drops in a certain combination to obtain loot you have to sell in another combination to obtain the weapon you're after? You can't even experiment because if you sell off loot through trial and error you can set yourself back by hours to try and get it again (that's if you even knew how to get it again). The process is time consuming and tedious and I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment. I just felt drained and that I had used a guide.
FFXII is one of my favourite Final fantasy titles but man I was so disappointed in how they designed the process to obtain some of the ultimate weapons.

My current playthrough of FFXII prompted me to make this topic but I couldn't leave without mentioning the incredibly obnoxious BP subquest in Trails in the Sky: FC I attempted years ago. From what I recall you have to perform certain tasks throughout the game to obtain points known as BP and if you obtain a perfect set of BP you can transfer your save into the sequel to obtain items you can't get otherwise. This is sounds fine and dandy but a lot of the BP quests are time locked to the point where if you progress the story by a minute you lose the opportunity to achieve a perfect BP file and your save is ruined forever if you're going for a perfect run. There are multiple instances of this which makes it virtually impossible to achieve a perfect BP file without following a guide. I managed to do it in the end but it was so draining I never bothered starting SC because I was so burnt out by having to constantly refer to a guide. That really did ruin the game for me.

Anyone else had their enjoyment of a game severely hampered by obnoxious sidequests requirements?

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Spiderman ps4 no doubt. That game would have been way better with 1/4 of the sidequests. Was awful having to do them to get some cool customes.
One of the reason i like my games on PC. I could unlock all the customes with cheat engine and just play the main campaign. I would have enjoyed the game way more.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tetra Master FFIX.

Coming off the amazing Triple Triad made it unfair to TM only for it to be complete shite on top of being horribly disappointing.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Crash 4, the optional collectables are really souring the game for me. It's a great game from start to finish, but the shit you need to do to get 106% is ridiculous.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
The spear in FF12. Inspect any barrel/box in the game and your only chance is a dismally low % chance chest in a dungeon. Ignore them all and its waiting for you just sitting on a beach.

On another note - the RC plane missions San Andreas. I had to actually go over to multiple friends houses to help them with that mission. Such a dumb hurdle. Main path but like...side mission quality.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I think FF12 is an amazing game but I completely agree OP. Never bothered getting the best weapons because WTF why is that how you get them? Beyond dumb.

Not a sub quest but playing Ace Combat 7 and starting around 75% through you have two or three missions where instead of the game telling you who the enemies are you have get close to them to "identify" them. Then kill them if bad. Really shitty design choice here that doesn't suck the fun out of the game but makes these levels pretty lackluster in a game that only has 20 levels.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Ghost of Tsushima side activities,, except for cutting the bamboos

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
The side content in Ghost of Tsushima isn't bad per se, but the sheer amount of run-of-the-mill missions littering the map just made me burn out on the game before the end.

Still, I would say that the game as a whole was an awesome time. I just wish it was less bloated.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I burnt out on Xenoblade doing all the sidequests in one place as they were marked as time-limited, more kept popping up. Did them all and I haven't played the game since.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Arkham Knight's Riddler racing quests. I don't mind Batmobile/Bat-Tank gameplay, but why the heck you put a racing element in a Batman Arkham game?!

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Spiderman ps4 no doubt. That game would have been way better with 1/4 of the sidequests. Was awful having to do them to get some cool customes.
One of the reason i like my games on PC. I could unlock all the customes with cheat engine and just play the main campaign. I would have enjoyed the game way more.
I thought the side quests were great. It was the copy and pasted street crimes, challenges and Oscorp stations that brought the game down for me.

MrTutty

Jul 7, 2020
Super Mario Odyssey. Having to get basically every moon that wasn't attached to a big main objective. It ended up being my least favorite Mario game because of it

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
In Yakuza 0 there's a real estate minigame where you can buy properties and then collect rent to buy more properties, and occasionally have some story encounters/minigame battles/actual battles with minor characters whom you're edging out of the area. Kinda cool. But the shear scale of the money involved just dwarfs all other sources of money in the game. Like, before you get money through combat, and you can get multipliers from doing combos and stuff, and it was kinda nice to be rewarded for doing it well, but now all of a sudden it doesn't mean anything because one round of Real Estate Royale will give you a thousand times more cash than the bonus for winning that battle in five seconds without taking damage.

Plus the other protagonist has a different but corresponding minigame that's just way more fun, has more gameplay mechanics, better characters, but the rewards are reasonable... which means they feel pitiful in comparison. Like, it kinda makes sense because you need to spend a lot of cash to progress in the real estate game, so of course it needs to provide a lot of cash, but... you can also spend that money on anything else. Like, it also counts as XP for buying skills.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
well, yeah, but they made up for it with chocobo hot & cold...
I know IX's hot and cold has a bad rap but honestly I can't remember it to much?

Like VIII is my favorite game in the series, but even then I have to say VIII's Choco Hot N Cold was pretty trash tier, so IX's didn't stick out nearly as bad to me as TM.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
When I saw your title, I immediately thought of Final Fantasy XII, which I am also playing through at the moment.

Trying to get all the hunt club marks to show up is obnoxious.
Trying to hunt down all the rare root required to get super weapons in the bazaar is super obnoxious.
Plus, I hit some glitch, so I can't get Zeromus, which basically locks me out of at least 4 trophies.

I'm super overpowered at the moment anyway, so I'll probably just beat the game, and put it down.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima side activities,, except for cutting the bamboos

And the duels.

Haikus were tedious, and the Fox Shrines were exceptionally annyoing - like sure, the first few times it's cute following that little fox. But going to a marker on the map and then having to follow a critter to a semi-well hidden shrine was just needless padding.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
FF7 Remakes sidequests were shockingly bad. If I replay the game I'm not touching any of them ever again.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Not all the fun but I loathed The Last Wish quest in The Witcher 3 because of book story reasons.

It gave the option to imply that something profound was nothing more than a charm and that it's always been nagging yennefer if their feelings for each other were real.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Not all the fun but I loathed The Last Wish quest in The Witcher 3 because of book story reasons.

It gave the option to imply that something profound was nothing more than a charm and that it's always been nagging yennefer if their feelings for each other were real.
Did it change something for the books or was it just giving the option to turn down Yennefer (And why would you??) ?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Gravity Rush 2 stealth missions.

Came here to say this.

The side content in Ghost of Tsushima isn't bad per se, but the sheer amount of run-of-the-mill missions littering the map just made me burn out on the game before the end.

Still, I would say that the game as a whole was an awesome time. I just wish it was less bloated.

EDIT: Beaten by seconds.

I don't consider those subquests though. The actual side quests in the game are pretty good and well written.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Did it change something for the books or was it just giving the option to turn down Yennefer (And why would you??) ?
The book is intentionally ambiguous about the wording of the wish, and Yennefer having heard it only alludes to their fate being tied together. I don't recall a time where Yennefer doubts her feelings for Geralt or vice versa aren't genuine in the book even when they break up repeatedly.

I felt like the quest was only there to give people an out to date Triss and does away with the ambiguity for no gain.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 stealth missions are a good shout. Those sucked. Yakuza 0's JCC side content is literally the worst thing the entire series has ever done in my eyes... a joyless exercise in frustration with 0 skill...

In Yakuza 0 there's a real estate minigame where you can buy properties and then collect rent to buy more properties, and occasionally have some story encounters/minigame battles/actual battles with minor characters whom you're edging out of the area. Kinda cool. But the shear scale of the money involved just dwarfs all other sources of money in the game. Like, before you get money through combat, and you can get multipliers from doing combos and stuff, and it was kinda nice to be rewarded for doing it well, but now all of a sudden it doesn't mean anything because one round of Real Estate Royale will give you a thousand times more cash than the bonus for winning that battle in five seconds without taking damage.

Plus the other protagonist has a different but corresponding minigame that's just way more fun, has more gameplay mechanics, better characters, but the rewards are reasonable... which means they feel pitiful in comparison. Like, it kinda makes sense because you need to spend a lot of cash to progress in the real estate game, so of course it needs to provide a lot of cash, but... you can also spend that money on anything else. Like, it also counts as XP for buying skills.

In the grand scheme of things I found Majima's cabaret more annoying in the long run when it came to that period where I needed money for Majima, but hadn't unlocked the full money transfer feature yet. Real Estate isn't amazing (7 sorta toys with the idea again, but makes it 1000x better) but in 0 it acts as a background activity for me, since I could easily spend one minute upgrading my buildings, then go off and do other stuff as I wait for the next lot of money to come in. Trick with Kiryu is to use those shrine upgrades to make you obscene amounts of money, stuff like:
decrease all cooldowns
increase amount of money paid out from enemy heat actions

and then go have a word with Mr Shakedown. And lose. And then get more money from Real Estate. And lose. Repeat a few more times. Mr Shakedown will now be a walking bank (you'll never lose that money, he just holds onto it for you). Now go beat him up, use (weapon) heat moves and watch money pour out of him like blood. Upon winning you get all your money back plus a big fat multiplier. You'll probably have enough money to buy all of Japan at this point, and any upgrade you so wish for both characters! This only works for Kiryu though since Majima lacks the required shrine upgrades so you'll have to rely on the much lower payouts from his mini game which takes far more grinding over a long period of time.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
All the listening and tailing missions in Assassin Creed games, I hate them so much.

Just let me sneak and stab.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
The book is intentionally ambiguous about the wording of the wish, and Yennefer having heard it only alludes to their fate being tied together. I don't recall a time where Yennefer doubts her feelings for Geralt or vice versa aren't genuine in the book even when they break up repeatedly.

I felt like the quest was only there to give people an out to date Triss and does away with the ambiguity for no gain.
Ah ok, thanks. I really n need to read the books.

Oh and somewhat related. While not a requirement but in The Witcher 3 when you get to Skellige and see the amount of ? on the map.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The bland, poorly placed, non-stop, boring sidequests in the already underwhelming XC2.

Stealth missions in literally any action game. If I want to play a stealth game, I'll play a stealth game. I don't understand what is compelling people to put stealth in games like Marvel's Avengers, Spider-Man, and even Genshin Impact. Stealth is its own genre and I don't want to play it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I got suckered into doing a few of those repetitive quests to get some of that premium currency in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it ended up burning me out in the last act. It's a shame, Ubisoft probably would have gotten more money out of me if they weren't in there because I would have bought the season pass.

Jun 23, 2019
And the duels.

Haikus were tedious, and the Fox Shrines were exceptionally annyoing - like sure, the first few times it's cute following that little fox. But going to a marker on the map and then having to follow a critter to a semi-well hidden shrine was just needless padding.

I thought they were a nice little break from exploring and killing and doing the side quests

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gravity Rush 2 stealth missions.

lol SO MUCH!!!! The game was meant for you to be WILD, and FREE, and the SKY'S PLAYTHING ...not crappy sneaking around.

Also, lump in just about anything from FFX. From having to wear sunglasses to dodge freaking lightning to this bullshit:
maxresdefault.jpg

FF7 Remakes sidequests were shockingly bad. If I replay the game I'm not touching any of them ever again.

FF15 had this issue too.
For game's with so much lore, they're an incredibly wasted endeavor.... "Go slay dragon yonder for killing my chickens" kinda garbo.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think FFX had a single good side content. Even the only mandatory blitzball game is unnecessarily painful.

I agree superweapon crafting is bad in FFXII. It would have been much better if we could know where to get materials from which enemies

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were a nice little break from exploring and killing and doing the side quests

They are! But there's just too many of them, and almost none of them are in any way interesting. Following the fox isn't challenging or fun 90% of the time. The Haikus are nonsensical and the way you compose them is super tedious.

The Bamboo cutting offers at least somewhat enticing gameplay for a moment. So do the duels. So do the towers mountaintop shrines. And of course the farmsteads / villages you free.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
When I saw your title, I immediately thought of Final Fantasy XII, which I am also playing through at the moment.

Trying to get all the hunt club marks to show up is obnoxious.
Trying to hunt down all the rare root required to get super weapons in the bazaar is super obnoxious.
Plus, I hit some glitch, so I can't get Zeromus, which basically locks me out of at least 4 trophies.

I'm super overpowered at the moment anyway, so I'll probably just beat the game, and put it down.

The Zeromus part is probably not bugged. I remember it being a pain to setup the requirements to get the key item that gets you inside the boss arena. Unless the bug is related to something else, then my condolensces.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
That colony rebuilding quest in the original Xenoblade literally made me stop playing. I was at the point of no return where I had to finish the side quests before I could go fight the last boss, or not be able to do them, and I really wanted to finish rebuilding the colony since seeing it slowly come back to life was really satisfying

But the grinding and luck involved in getting all of the rare random drops you need for the last few bits was just out of control. After trying for hours I just gave up, and had such a bad taste in my mouth I never even ended up finishing the game. Kept thinking eventually I'd go back to it, but having that big chunk of the colony still rubble would really bother me.

It's more my OCD about needing to finish it that really ruined things for me, but what that quest asks of you toward the end is just ridiculously tedious.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
This bit in Banjo Tooie drove me nuts back in the day when I first played it, I zoned in so much trying to finish it that I got motion sickness and was physically sick. Talk about taking the fun out of a game 🤮

Jan 10, 2018
Metal Gear Solid V. Intro with dev names on screen, fly in with a helicopter for the 100th time, run to a mine field, crawl around and disable them all, call for chopper and watch end credits. It's all so incredibly stupid.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing Nino Kuni 2 when I realized I should've been grinding the kingdom building.
Not sure if it counts, but I really liked the game up to that point but completely stopped cold turkey because of this.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
ALL the celestial weapon related quests in FFX.

The worst side content in any mainline FF is all in FFX.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I expected to see Ys VIII mentioned by now. As much as I enjoyed it, the raids were extremely boring and repetitive.

Spider-Man's side content really soured me on it, and that's saying a lot, given that I completed Just Cause 2 and 3.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
On my first playthrough of Alan Wake I tried to get all the Thermos flasks. Really ruined the atmosphere, but my fault for not just going through normally first.