• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Realise I'm replying to an older post here, but BZ is playing and looking incredible, even on base PS4 for what it's worth.
The original had a bunch of problems (slow-down/stutter, pop-in, etc.) on PS4, and while I was still able to enjoy it I expected a similar UX with BZ.
Surprised and happy to say the difference is huge. I'm not sure what Unknown Worlds did, but seems like it's much better optimised on console!

Yeah, I bought on PS5 today and it is butter smooth so far....really nice framerate and it looks great. I've had it dip maybe once? But that seemed to be a fluke. It's nice to have a new area to explore too, I really like the new zone.

Hopefully, UW keeps doing expansions. Maybe they'd like to do something else but I think they've really got something cool that they could keep going with.

I do hope they've added significant new tech to the tech tree. So far, I'm building the same stuff from the OG. Even a Nutrient Block machine would be really nice. I'm not even gonna look about it though, just gonna keep going and hope for some cool surprises

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of my thalassophobia, I've hit a wall in progressing cause I can't seem to find the upgrade parts to get my submarine to go deeper than 200m. Where do I find those?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say you need the modification station? Do you have that?

It would be either there or the Moon pool upgrade station
The Seamoth MK1 Depth module is in the moon pool vehicle upgrade station. After you make that, you have to use it at the modification station to make MK2 and MK3. The first one makes the depth limit 300m.

Also don't sleep on the Prawn Suit before you have the Cyclops. You can get to a lot of places and back just using the default jump boosters, but be careful not to lose it down holes you definitely can't recover it from without the Cyclops. The Jellyshroom Cave, I don't know of a way to get the Prawn suit out of there.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Seamoth MK1 Depth module is in the moon pool vehicle upgrade station. After you make that, you have to use it at the modification station to make MK2 and MK3. The first one makes the depth limit 300m.

Also don't sleep on the Prawn Suit before you have the Cyclops. You can get to a lot of places and back just using the default jump boosters, but be careful not to lose it down holes you definitely can't recover it from without the Cyclops. The Jellyshroom Cave, I don't know of a way to get the Prawn suit out of there.
In all honesty you don't really even need the Cyclops aside from one single component.
When I finished my playthrough my Cyclops was sitting in the lost river unused. The Prawn was running between there and the lava cave and my seamoth was at the shallows base unused as I could make the run between both bases on a seaglider. The only necessity for it is building a module for the rocket iirc

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty you don't really even need the Cyclops aside from one single component.
When I finished my playthrough my Cyclops was sitting in the lost river unused. The Prawn was running between there and the lava cave and my seamoth was at the shallows base unused as I could make the run between both bases on a seaglider. The only necessity for it is building a module for the rocket iirc
I saw some definite holes I don't think I can get the Prawn suit out of without either the jump jet upgrade or the grapple arm. On that Reef before you hit Sea Treaders, there's one of those that I don't think I could get it out of.

I'm just going to use the Cyclops as a mobile base anyway, I'm unsure if I'm going to build extra bases outside of my shallows one yet. Yesterday I was collecting scans from the Underwater Islands and was using my Seamoth, and dealing with the Bonesharks was a pain in the ass. I didn't have any decoys with me other than a couple of flares, which I threw and did almost nothing lol. They would either be on the shit I was trying to scan or would come ram my Seamoth hitting it for 15 per hit, meaning I had to back out after a few hits, repair, and then come back. Being able to just punch them or drill arm them would be nice which is why I'm making the trip back over there in my Cyclops with Prawn Suit.

Outfitting the Cyclops with Coffee Machines and Chinese Potato plants for consistent food and water is really nice.

Oct 26, 2017
I want to say you need the modification station? Do you have that?

It would be either there or the Moon pool upgrade station

Thank you! I'll look into this some more next time I play. But also damn you cause now I have no excuse to not face those leviathans... I do not get scared by games but my god this one's a nightmare for me.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw some definite holes I don't think I can get the Prawn suit out of without either the jump jet upgrade or the grapple arm. On that Reef before you hit Sea Treaders, there's one of those that I don't think I could get it out of.

I'm just going to use the Cyclops as a mobile base anyway, I'm unsure if I'm going to build extra bases outside of my shallows one yet. Yesterday I was collecting scans from the Underwater Islands and was using my Seamoth, and dealing with the Bonesharks was a pain in the ass. I didn't have any decoys with me other than a couple of flares, which I threw and did almost nothing lol. They would either be on the shit I was trying to scan or would come ram my Seamoth hitting it for 15 per hit, meaning I had to back out after a few hits, repair, and then come back. Being able to just punch them or drill arm them would be nice which is why I'm making the trip back over there in my Cyclops with Prawn Suit.

Outfitting the Cyclops with Coffee Machines and Chinese Potato plants for consistent food and water is really nice.
Yeah thats not a bad idea either tbh. I just found the movement in it really slow and unwieldy in a number of places so I barely got any use out of it. I'm planning a replay of it after BZ so I may try a run with just the Cyclops and Prawn, or even risk a run using no vehicles at all, I kinda get the feeling that should be possible.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up on the Switch version of the original game, there's a bug where your save won't load after a while. I have a 14 hour save I can't use right now. Unknown Worlds said on Reddit they're working on a patch and will send it to Nintendo for certification soon, and then your save should work. Do NOT delete your save, it should not be corrupt even though it won't load right now.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Cyclops, because based on what I read on reddit lots of people either saved on or near their Cyclops.

Yeah thats not a bad idea either tbh. I just found the movement in it really slow and unwieldy in a number of places so I barely got any use out of it. I'm planning a replay of it after BZ so I may try a run with just the Cyclops and Prawn, or even risk a run using no vehicles at all, I kinda get the feeling that should be possible.
No-vehicle run can't be fun I'd imagine, with your inventory space, unless you just have bases everywhere, you're going to be going back to base constantly. I don't know if you count the Seaglide as a vehicle or not.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No-vehicle run can't be fun I'd imagine, with your inventory space, unless you just have bases everywhere, you're going to be going back to base constantly. I don't know if you count the Seaglide as a vehicle or not.
Oh I'd definitely still be using the seaglide. Tbh without it, it may be a bit too hard. I dunno if I could make some of those dives without it. I should be able to make do with two to three bases though from what I figure. One by the mushrooms, one in lost river and one at the lava caves, though the mushroom one would start in the shallows and be relocated and the others only need to supply oxygen.

I can't remember if you ever find one of those Cyclops modules though. Otherwise I may have to build it just to make that at the end. The main part will be getting the rebreather, oxygen tank upgrades and mod station. From there it's just a matter of reaching the places to build. Once that's done I can use the gates to get about a lot faster anyway.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I just started a new game a couple of days ago and enjoying it so far but I was wondering. Are there any good/must have mods available?

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Played God knows how many hours of this on switch and experienced my first crash only to realize this game does not have autosave! What the absolute fuck. How does a game in this day and age, one as buggy as it is apparently not have autosave? This is one of those rare times I jumped into a new game blind without reading anything about it and now I regret it. Apparently even the new game doesn't have autosave either.
I'm not sure whether I want to basically restart at this point.

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Played God knows how many hours of this on switch and experienced my first crash only to realize this game does not have autosave! What the absolute fuck. How does a game in this day and age, one as buggy as it is apparently not have autosave? This is one of those rare times I jumped into a new game blind without reading anything about it and now I regret it. Apparently even the new game doesn't have autosave either.
I'm not sure whether I want to basically restart at this point.

Doesn't it autosave every time you go into your life boat/capsule?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who absolutely loved Outer Wilds and was looking for similar games, I was recommended Subnautica a few times. Yesterday, I finally started playing it.

I'm kinda torn. It's way more focused on gathering resources and crafting than I expected. I kinda like this, though. It's actually fun to go through my checklist of resources, find them, and craft one tool/upgrade after another.
However, at times it can also be boring and tedious. Like, right now I need at least two wiring kits and I have only one piece of silver. I'm getting really sick of searching for rocks in caves while being constantly harassed by those exploding fishes only to get more titanium and copper I don't need. That's really not fun.

Also, I hate inventory management in general. It's so frustrating when I run out of space and have to drop stuff I might still need or alternatively abort my exploration and return to the pod to process/store some stuff.

I feel like this is gonna get worse the more blueprints I unlock. Speaking of which, my blueprint list is huge already, and I haven't even built half of the things yet. Apparently, I'll be able to build bases and vehicles? Sounds like at some point I'm gonna need to take notes to keep track of the resources I need to find (and what I need them for). I don't like this idea.

Finally: Am I gonna get a map? I've crafted the compass and the beacons already, but how am I supposed to keep track of which locations I already have explored and which of them I still need to check out? Am I supposed to plant a few dozen beacons all over the world?

edit: I've realized that there's actually two different kind of rocks and I figured out where I have to look for silver. Also, I started building my first base and I'm about to solve my inventory problem by building a bunch of lockers in it. Base building is way more fun than I thought it would be!

edit 2: I've built the scanner room and the Seamoth. I'm not quite sure how to proceed now. I feel like it's time to explore the rest of the map as I've been staying close to the base all the time, but constantly going back and forth between wherever I explore and the base sounds tiresome. There's two destinations on the HUD (some lifepod and the Sunbeam landing site), so at least I have some pointers about where I could go.

Last edited:

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Playing through it all again on Switch I'm having so much fun with it. I'm currently decking out my Cyclops I just built with coffee machines and Chinese Potato plants to have consistent food and water sources.
You can replace both with a single lantern tree, because of the sheer volume of fruits it produces and how quickly it produces them. No having to eventually replant or wait for coffee to be ready either.

But.... I do always have a coffee machine in the control room with me, by my radio. It just... feels right lol.

You don't need clearance for locker doors either and can access them from any angle, so I have a metric butt ton of lockers organized so I access them from the side and a mod table in the room between the controls and the engine.

The cyclops is so freaking cool.

They seriously need an extra large moon pool for the cyclops for the habitat builder. Just because.

Lol, out of necessity I have become an expert at getting the prawn suit out of the jellyshroom caves. Even without the jump booster upgrade or grappling hook. But the booster upgrade and grappling hook help immensely. If you have those, you can get it out all on its own.

Since I am a greedy hoarder, I jumped down with my prawn suit the second I got a drill arm.

My first time out I used the seamoth as a platform to land on and get out after jumping off nearby outcroppings just big enough to recharge jump jets. It was..... Difficult.

The second time I had enough of that and just found spots I could build foundations to make a path to just hop up and out.

Once I got the jump booster upgrade and grappling arms I didn't need to use them anymore.

Last edited:

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who absolutely loved Outer Wilds and was looking for similar games, I was recommended Subnautica a few times. Yesterday, I finally started playing it.

I'm kinda torn. It's way more focused on gathering resources and crafting than I expected. I kinda like this, though. It's actually fun to go through my checklist of resources, find them, and craft one tool/upgrade after another.
However, at times it can also be boring and tedious. Like, right now I need at least two wiring kits and I have only one piece of silver. I'm getting really sick of searching for rocks in caves while being constantly harassed by those exploding fishes only to get more titanium and copper I don't need. That's really not fun.

Also, I hate inventory management in general. It's so frustrating when I run out of space and have to drop stuff I might still need or alternatively abort my exploration and return to the pod to process/store some stuff.

I feel like this is gonna get worse the more blueprints I unlock. Speaking of which, my blueprint list is huge already, and I haven't even built half of the things yet. Apparently, I'll be able to build bases and vehicles? Sounds like at some point I'm gonna need to take notes to keep track of the resources I need to find (and what I need them for). I don't like this idea.

Finally: Am I gonna get a map? I've crafted the compass and the beacons already, but how am I supposed to keep track of which locations I already have explored and which of them I still need to check out? Am I supposed to plant a few dozen beacons all over the world?

edit: I've realized that there's actually two different kind of rocks and I figured out where I have to look for silver. Also, I started building my first base and I'm about to solve my inventory problem by building a bunch of lockers in it. Base building is way more fun than I thought it would be!

edit 2: I've built the scanner room and the Seamoth. I'm not quite sure how to proceed now. I feel like it's time to explore the rest of the map as I've been staying close to the base all the time, but constantly going back and forth between wherever I explore and the base sounds tiresome. There's two destinations on the HUD (some lifepod and the Sunbeam landing site), so at least I have some pointers about where I could go.

Most people build multiple bases.

I would load up my seamoth (storage upgrades) with the materials to get a new base started (multipurpose room, hatch, power source) and set out for a good spot where I'd have something to immediately do, which I found was always nestled between a bunch of other things to do.

Since I've had to restart so many times, I've settled on my first base always being at the biggest mouth of the jellyshroom caves.

Grow gardens are important, a LOT of important organic crafting materials can actually be planted and grown right next to your base, so you only need to gather one of them, or it's seed (knife it) and the can simply plant them and use the one you planted to get more seeds to plant more.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Most people build multiple bases.

I would load up my seamoth (storage upgrades) with the materials to get a new base started (multipurpose room, hatch, power source) and set out for a good spot where I'd have something to immediately do, which I found was always nestled between a bunch of other things to do.

Since I've had to restart so many times, I've settled on my first base always being at the biggest mouth of the jellyshroom caves.

Grow gardens are important, a LOT of important organic crafting materials can actually be planted and grown right next to your base, so you only need to gather one of them, or it's seed (knife it) and the can simply plant them and use the one you planted to get more seeds to plant more.

According to the wiki, I need a Moonpool to be able to upgrade the Seamoth. I don't have it yet. I can't yet build the multipurpose room either.

I'm playing in Freedom mode, by the way, because having hunger and thirst as two additional factors to manage and keep in mind would stress me out too much.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to the wiki, I need a Moonpool to be able to upgrade the Seamoth. I don't have it yet. I can't yet build the multipurpose room either.

I'm playing in Freedom mode, by the way, because having hunger and thirst as two additional factors to manage and keep in mind would stress me out too much.

Oh yeah that's Right. And a moon pool upgrade station. In the beginning of the game I just loaded myself up with the materials to head out to find a spot to build my first base.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah that's Right. And a moon pool upgrade station. In the beginning of the game I just loaded myself up with the materials to head out to find a spot to build my first base.

Oof. It's getting pretty tedious. I'll keep playing for a while, but if I get tired of it, I might switch to Creative mode so I can focus on exploring (and base building).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So I did most of the quests like Aurora, Sunbeam, Dengasi Basis. Built a lot of stuff and upgraded things. But now I have to dive with the Cyclops and wow, this certainly is some cumbersome shit. I think that's it for me. The game was great fun so far, but this seems more work than fun and I think the gameplay loop has run its course for me anyway.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely anyone will read this, being a LTTP post for a 3 year old (or functionally 7 year old game), but I just beat the game and I am exhausted and in awe and about to unload stream of consciousness style….

About 25 hours of play. That was the most stressful, terrifying, and yet bizarrely tedious game I have ever played and yet the tedious aspects somehow fit perfectly with the ethos of the game.

The most important recommendation I would make is don't read ANYTHING about the game beforehand. Go in as blind as possible. And I realize what I am asking when I say this but try to complete the whole game without looking anything up. It will be a challenge but, akin to The Witness, the joy of self-discovery in Subnautica is the most rewarding aspect of the game. If done truly blind, exploring the terrifying and awe-inspiring world around you was a powerful enough experience that I found myself approaching the game as if I were personally trapped on a ocean world. It truly was that engrossing. I felt like Tom Hanks in Castaway and my Wilson was always at risk of being destroyed, me along with it. Reaching the end of Subnautica is one of the most satisfying accomplishments in my 35 plus years of gaming.

Random thoughts (including Spoilers) below:

The desire to stay where the world is known and safe is palpable. I would find reasons to do everything I could in an area I felt I understood because it was so damn scary to venture into the unknown. We are talking sweaty shaky hands, racing heartbeats bounding through the chest, and the need for pre-arranged breaks to get me out of that mindspace. And that was before I knew about the Reaper.

The first time that Reaper grasped my Seamoth in his mouth, took us deeper beyond the Aurora, and left the ship with 5% health… stranding me…. my heart is beating in my throat as I fumble through inventory to try and repair the ship… damn, why do my fingers feel so clumsy!?… the Reaper's roars echo through the crushing darkness… he is toying with me before the deathblow… even recalling induces chills.

Because of that Reaper encounter — and I didn't even die!! — I refused to take the Cyclops anywhere fearing its destruction. Same goes for the Prawn. I literally reached a point where the Seamoth could go no further and I knew exactly what I needed to do to proceed and the steps to do so were, in retrospect, not actually frightening and yet I refused and loitered my way through a few hours of inventory management and storage clean-up and literally throwing salt into trashcans. Anything to avoid the unknown.

And I was right to be afraid because while the vast majority of the game you are actually unharmed or even unharassed, there is this foreboding and pervasive risk that something is hiding out there just beyond where you can't see but goddamn you can hear it. Like clockwork the roars and the groans thrill through your ears, through some of the best audio mixing I have heard in a long time. You owe it to yourself to play with headphones as sound in the game is absolutely superb and by superb I mean "oops I crapped my pants that felt so close right behind my right shoulder" superb.

[Placeholder for more thoughts as the game was such a moving experience for me that I just want to think about it some more….]

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yep it's brilliant! My seamoth got destroyed miles from my base and I had to swim back lmao

teh_J0kerer

Jan 3, 2018
Sorry to bump this thread for something stupid, but I just got the game on steam and have a dumb problem: While playing there are random messages that appear on the screen, for example "Be sure to vary your routine for uniform muscle development". I can't find any way to clear these messages. So I'm just stuck playing with something written in my field of view all the time. What gives?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Sorry to bump this thread for something stupid, but I just got the game on steam and have a dumb problem: While playing there are random messages that appear on the screen, for example "Be sure to vary your routine for uniform muscle development". I can't find any way to clear these messages. So I'm just stuck playing with something written in my field of view all the time. What gives?
Do they persist if you restart the game?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The pinned recipes from Below Zero is very welcome in the original game. I've been playing through the game again on the Steam Deck and I'm curious to see how those performance enhancements affect it. Hopefully the frames drop less in several areas where the frame rate tends to tank.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The pinned recipes from Below Zero is very welcome in the original game. I've been playing through the game again on the Steam Deck and I'm curious to see how those performance enhancements affect it. Hopefully the frames drop less in several areas where the frame rate tends to tank.
They made quite a few optimizations and performance enhancements while developing this update. Some highlights:

View: https://twitter.com/SubnauticaSCM/status/1569733114758594561

View: https://twitter.com/SubnauticaSCM/status/1570470250969464836

I've noticed the Switch version loads and performs significantly better now; I imagine it should be way smoother on Steam Deck.