• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
If you mean performance and graphics wise, to me about the same. It's more a standalone expansion not a sequel. If you mean story wise, it is hard to say... it was ok, but they just recently posted an update saying they were going to re do the story, so it could go anywhere.

Thanks! I meant both. Well hopefully by the time it comes to Xbox it turns out well, story wise. Performance I'm expecting to be about the same then.

Oct 27, 2017
Just went back to this over the weekend for the first time in a few months. About ~15 hours in but I only just realised that I can from the menu highlight crashed pod locations so they always show on my HUD (maybe this is due to my sonar room in my base, or something I never realised was there?) but anyway, I found all of the blueprints to the Seamoth and now I'm making much better progress as I'm travelling around much faster and a bit more confident going to deeper areas as I can hide inside my submersible if I see anything scary!

Got the blueprints for the stasis rifle but I don't have the ingredients to make it yet.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Just went back to this over the weekend for the first time in a few months. About ~15 hours in but I only just realised that I can from the menu highlight crashed pod locations so they always show on my HUD (maybe this is due to my sonar room in my base, or something I never realised was there?) but anyway, I found all of the blueprints to the Seamoth and now I'm making much better progress as I'm travelling around much faster and a bit more confident going to deeper areas as I can hide inside my submersible if I see anything scary!

Got the blueprints for the stasis rifle but I don't have the ingredients to make it yet.
As you get more radio transmissions, it will mark the other pod locations. You don't even need the radar room to tell you where those are (but it's good to have anyway).

I will say don't rely on the Seamoth to protect you from some of the bigger shit that's out there. Some of the bigger creatures do not give a fuck about your Seamoth, but it's pretty fast and you can outrun some of them with it.

Have you been to the Aurora yet? If I remember correctly it's probably going to be time to start going there soon, you just need the radiation suit mainly. In addition to stopping the radiation, there's a lot of goodies in there to get.

Oct 27, 2017
As you get more radio transmissions, it will mark the other pod locations. You don't even need the radar room to tell you where those are (but it's good to have anyway).

I will say don't rely on the Seamoth to protect you from some of the bigger shit that's out there. Some of the bigger creatures do not give a fuck about your Seamoth, but it's pretty fast and you can outrun some of them with it.

Have you been to the Aurora yet? If I remember correctly it's probably going to be time to start going there soon, you just need the radiation suit mainly. In addition to stopping the radiation, there's a lot of goodies in there to get.

Thanks for the tips! I realise the Seamoth is fairly flimsy and would not offer much protection from bigger creatures, but it still feels better going exploring with a vehicle to travel in as opposed to swimming outside by myself. Plus it has really bright lights which is helpful, and as you said, it is thankfully fast!

I have been inside the Aurora, but only one time to the Prawn suit bay and I haven't been back. I didn't have any weapons and those headcrab-type little bastards kept bothering me. I cut my way into a couple of rooms but I don't recall seeing any more areas I could not access. Is it worth going back? And also, is there a way to enlarge my inventory?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips! I realise the Seamoth is fairly flimsy and would not offer much protection from bigger creatures, but it still feels better going exploring with a vehicle to travel in as opposed to swimming outside by myself. Plus it has really bright lights which is helpful, and as you said, it is thankfully fast!

I have been inside the Aurora, but only one time to the Prawn suit bay and I haven't been back. I didn't have any weapons and those headcrab-type little bastards kept bothering me. I cut my way into a couple of rooms but I don't recall seeing any more areas I could not access. Is it worth going back? And also, is there a way to enlarge my inventory?
You can take the crawlers with your knife no problem. You should still take care of the radiation in the Aurora as you won't need the rad suit anymore once it dissipates and can use a better suit.

Oct 27, 2017
You can take the crawlers with your knife no problem. You should still take care of the radiation in the Aurora as you won't need the rad suit anymore once it dissipates and can use a better suit.

Sorry, I was wrong before. I must have been in the Aurora more than once because I stopped the radiation leaks and then I later went back with the laser cutter to get to the prawn suit bay! Maybe I'll go back to check it out and see if there's anything else that I missed. Do I need the gravity gun thing to access any areas there? I didn't take it first time - there was one corridor which was blocked but I was able to run and jump over the large boxes which were blocking my way. But I don't know if there are other things I need to clear out of the way.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Downloaded this game earlier today and i'm pretty excited to jump in.
Alien planet+subaquatic world is intruiging and some Metroid references in here are the cherry on the top of a delicious cake.

Hopefully Subnautica delivers after all this high praise from pretty much everyone who played it!

Jan 10, 2018
Wow, just discovered the hard way that this game does not have any autosave at all. I lost about 20 hours of progress because of a complete game crash. I always suspend my games so that I can continue them at another point and Subnautica was no exception.

Man, this really sucks because this was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had in a very long time and I put so much effort into building a perfect base and upgrading everything... but now it's lost forever. There's no chance that I will repeat 20 hours of gameplay so I'll just move on to something else. Maybe I'll try to finish this game in the far future or I'll just look up the ending on Youtube. Doesn't feel right but I want to know how it all ends!

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'm completely blown away by this game after 12 hours of playtime.
The feeling of being submerged is real, atmosphere of the charts, visuals and sound are excellent, gameplay fun and responsive, the alien planet shockingly convincing.
If it wasn't for the aggressive pop in issues Subnautica would be a perfect gaming experience. In fact only these issues remind you that you are still playing a videogame..

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, just discovered the hard way that this game does not have any autosave at all. I lost about 20 hours of progress because of a complete game crash. I always suspend my games so that I can continue them at another point and Subnautica was no exception.

Man, this really sucks because this was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had in a very long time and I put so much effort into building a perfect base and upgrading everything... but now it's lost forever. There's no chance that I will repeat 20 hours of gameplay so I'll just move on to something else. Maybe I'll try to finish this game in the far future or I'll just look up the ending on Youtube. Doesn't feel right but I want to know how it all ends!
That sucks.

I know it's not the same, but would you be okay with using console commands to give yourself something like what you had before the crash? That might be a middle ground between starting over yourself and watching the rest on YouTube.

Jan 10, 2018
That sucks.

I know it's not the same, but would you be okay with using console commands to give yourself something like what you had before the crash? That might be a middle ground between starting over yourself and watching the rest on YouTube.

Yeah I wouldn't mind doing something like that. But you can't use console commands on PS4 right? Sadly I'm not on PC.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I saw that this was on PC Gamepass and have been wanting to try it out for a while. Downloaded it at like 3ish? It's now 2am and I think I've developed thalassophobia.

Goddamn, what an experience this game is.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I've been interested in this game for awhile now. How is the PS4 version?
Here are a couple of issues I experienced on base PS4:

- Stutter/frame drop occasionally when you transition through the water surface (diving down or surfacing)
- Object/terrain pop-in when moving at speed underwater
- Long initial map/save load time, but once you're in the map it's all seamless (barring some rare specific instances)

But don't let this put you off if the core concept interests you. I still played about 80 hrs on my first save, and had a blast from start to finish. I don't typically play survival games, plus I was dealing with a lot of phobia and anxiety, yet the game still engrossed enough for me to see it through. Fantastic experience.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I've been interested in this game for awhile now. How is the PS4 version?

- Stutter/frame drop occasionally when you transition through the water surface (diving down or surfacing)
- Long initial map/save load time, but once you're in the map it's all seamless (barring some rare specific instances)

But don't let this put you off if the core concept interests you. I still played about 80 hrs on my first save, and had a blast from start to finish. I don't typically play survival games, plus I was dealing with a lot of phobia and anxiety, yet the game still engrossed enough for me to see it through. Fantastic experience.
I can't speak to the PS4 version specifically, but I will echo what Love Machine said about the game. I generally don't like survival games, and I have a deep fear of the deep ocean (and I don't like scary games either, for that matter), so this game is the sort of thing I would normally hate. But I loved every minute of Subnautica. It's a simply sublime experience, and if you have any interest at all, I would urge you to pick this up. It looks like it's on sale on PSN right now for $17.99 which is an absolute steal. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Oct 26, 2017

It sounds awesome! I don't mind that it's not perfect visually.

I can't speak to the PS4 version specifically, but I will echo what Love Machine said about the game. I generally don't like survival games, and I have a deep fear of the deep ocean (and I don't like scary games either, for that matter), so this game is the sort of thing I would normally hate. But I loved every minute of Subnautica. It's a simply sublime experience, and if you have any interest at all, I would urge you to pick this up. It looks like it's on sale on PSN right now for $17.99 which is an absolute steal. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I should absolutely adore it then. I love SCUBA diving in real life but I can't right now due to current events. At least I get to explore a virtual alien ocean.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So I'm about 40 hours into this amazing game...and then this happened. Playing the PS4 version on PS5. Edit: A patch fixed this issue!

EpQskGOU0AE7KyL

The game wasn't letting me save at all. I found a thread on reddit that suggested trying to save in the original Lifepod, and that DID work! But that's the only place I can save.

If that was all, it'd be a manageable annoyance. But ever since that save error popped up (about half an hour ago) the game has been...weird. The legs of my base foundations no longer appear. The trees I planted are completely black like they're missing the texture. And I'm pretty sure the pop-in is worse now, too.

It doesn't seem like there's much I can do. The game is playable I guess but I'm scared it's going to get worse. :(

Edit: Apparently there's a patch coming soon that may address the issue. (Although I'd take that with a grain of salt since it's apparently been a recurring issue since launch).
And it doesn't seem like it will help already affected save files anyway, so that sucks.

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That sucks @Phendrana Hope you get it sorted.
How did it play on PS5 before the issues started? Performance/pop-in on PS4 was not good, but a smoother experience on PS5 would be very welcome.
I didn't notice any frame drops at all. Solid 30.

Pop-in is pretty noticeable, but based on what I've heard it's nowhere near as severe as on PS4. Apparently even on the Pro things used to appear right in front of you? That wasn't happening for me at all. It was more at the edge of your visibility range things would start showing up.

Last edited:

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I'm about 40 hours into this amazing game...and then this happened. Playing the PS4 version on PS5.

EpQskGOU0AE7KyL

The game wasn't letting me save at all. I found a thread on reddit that suggested trying to save in the original Lifepod, and that DID work! But that's the only place I can save.

If that was all, it'd be a manageable annoyance. But ever since that save error popped up (about half an hour ago) the game has been...weird. The legs of my base foundations no longer appear. The trees I planted are completely black like they're missing the texture. And I'm pretty sure the pop-in is worse now, too.

It doesn't seem like there's much I can do. The game is playable I guess but I'm scared it's going to get worse. :(

Edit: Apparently there's a patch coming soon that may address the issue. (Although I'd take that with a grain of salt since it's apparently been a recurring issue since launch).
And it doesn't seem like it will help already affected save files anyway, so that sucks.
Yeah this is a known issue. It's basically not worth playing on consoles until this is fixed imo. So annoyed as I really really loved the game.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Same issue as Phendrana just happened to me too. I've got an uncorrupated save file on the cloud which hasn't been touched and have turned updates off so I can return to that if nothing else.

Hoping the incoming patch fixes things and I won't have to lose the day of content from getting the cloud save though, I stopped playing as soon as the save glitch happened so hopefully any damage done is minimal and can be ignored... hopefully.

This game is too good and I can forgive a lot of technical things like pop-in but... game breaking bugs are devastating.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I finished this the other day. What an absolutely incredible game. It had been on my radar for years, but I kept putting it off because I heard it was better on PC and didn't have mine set up. And then my housemate randomly started playing it on PS5 and after a few hours of watching I HAD to follow suit.

This game has such a fantastic blend of moments that inspire awe, and moments that are absolutely fucking terrifying. The basic gameplay loop is super solid, and I felt that I was always making good progress whether I was just gathering materials or following the story cues. Speaking of the story...it's perfectly married to the open structure of the game. I was hooked on the mystery from very early into my first play session, and felt satisfied at the end.

I hope Subnautica becomes very influential in the future, as it's easily one of the best designed open world games I've played. I can see now why it's so often recommended to fans of Outer Wilds and vice versa. I feel that both games have roughly the same ingredients, but wildly different amounts of each one? Subnautica's mystery is nowhere near as central to the experience as in Outer Wilds for example (and you won't be solving environmental puzzles), but the regular sense of awe and freedom of exploration is definitely there.

9.5/10, easy Top ~20 game for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I finished this the other day. What an absolutely incredible game. It had been on my radar for years, but I kept putting it off because I heard it was better on PC and didn't have mine set up. And then my housemate randomly started playing it on PS5 and after a few hours of watching I HAD to follow suit.

This game has such a fantastic blend of moments that inspire awe, and moments that are absolutely fucking terrifying. The basic gameplay loop is super solid, and I felt that I was always making good progress whether I was just gathering materials or following the story cues. Speaking of the story...it's perfectly married to the open structure of the game. I was hooked on the mystery from very early into my first play session, and felt satisfied at the end.

I hope Subnautica becomes very influential in the future, as it's easily one of the best designed open world games I've played. I can see now why it's so often recommended to fans of Outer Wilds and vice versa. I feel that both games have roughly the same ingredients, but wildly different amounts of each one? Subnautica's mystery is nowhere near as central to the experience as in Outer Wilds for example (and you won't be solving environmental puzzles), but the regular sense of awe and freedom of exploration is definitely there.

9.5/10, easy Top ~20 game for me.
Very much agree with your thoughts on Subnautica. I had no expectations going in as I had gotten it in some humble bundle ages ago and only checked it out after the 1.0 release. It's such a wonderful experience (and I don't typically like scary things). Is Outer Worlds in the same vein? I'll have to check it out, I've been looking for something Subnautica-esque. Although I just started Breath of the Wild for the first time a couple weeks back, so I may not have time for a while.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Is Outer Worlds in the same vein? I'll have to check it out, I've been looking for something Subnautica-esque.
They're similar in some ways, and very different in others. But generally, I'd imagine that most people who like one would like the other.

Outer Wilds isn't really a survival game at all. There's no collection or management of resources. No crafting of any kind. Progression is only limited by the knowledge you have. The basic premise is that you quickly become stuck in a time loop where you have 22 minutes before you have to start again. During that time you can hop into your space ship and travel anywhere you want within a little miniature solar system. Each planet has environmental puzzles to solve, and written logs from an alien species that drive at the reasons for what is happening. The more you start to understand things, the more you can accomplish on each loop.

It's the focus on exploration, discovery and lack of handholding that makes them feel comparable imo.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Very much agree with your thoughts on Subnautica. I had no expectations going in as I had gotten it in some humble bundle ages ago and only checked it out after the 1.0 release. It's such a wonderful experience (and I don't typically like scary things). Is Outer Worlds in the same vein? I'll have to check it out, I've been looking for something Subnautica-esque. Although I just started Breath of the Wild for the first time a couple weeks back, so I may not have time for a while.
Phendrana gave a great reply, but just wanted to reiterate Outer Wilds is fantastic. If you enjoy the exploration, discovery and mystery of Subnautica (and your agoraphobia isn't too beastly), then you'll probably love it.

Indicentally, The Outer Worlds is the RPG from Obsidian, and is totally different besides a similar name ;)

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
a couple of users commenting on my video are saying they're stuck at 80% (when loading into the game).

Is this a common issue?

Anyone know how they can fix this?

For ps4/ps5

Edit : nevermind they figured it out. It's a language bug. They changed it to English and it fixed it.

Last edited:

Ganryu

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, need some help...

I already found 3 degasi base. Already have Prawn and Cyclops and found a big Alien structure deep on water (where they do some kind of animal experiment to find a cure. I went to that alien island as well..

But now I dont know where to go or what to go... No radio anymore and already read my PDA to try to findo some clues...

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, need some help...

I already found 3 degasi base. Already have Prawn and Cyclops and found a big Alien structure deep on water (where they do some kind of animal experiment to find a cure. I went to that alien island as well..

But now I dont know where to go or what to go... No radio anymore and already read my PDA to try to findo some clues...
Look for depth module so you can go deeper... :}

Jan 29, 2018
Hello, need some help...

I'm in a similar boat (ha). Have you found the volcanic cavern? I found an alien facility basically in a volcano and a log there that said the 'Primary' facility is south-southeast of there, but I can't find a path in that direction.

I also got my Cyclops destroyed in that volcanic cavern and that kinda killed my momentum a bit.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
There are 2 facilities in the lava zone. One inside the mountain/volcano and one in the trench.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
I don't play Subnautica but this came up on my YouTube recently and was an interesting take into a feature I didn't know this game had 🙂

Jan 29, 2018
Ugh a bunch of cool shit happened and I thought I was at the end of the game but
now I have to go find five plants.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is there likely to be a next gen enhanced version of this? I'm wondering whether to just play it on gamepass or wait. My ps4 save got borked with the glitch so I'm kinda bummed to have to restart. If there was a performance patch or something though that would tempt me

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just downloaded the ps5 version (free upgrade) which was less than 4gb. Deleted the ps4 version which was over 12gb...WTF... I even launched the ps5 version to make sure it played and not dependent on ps4 version. How could the sizes be so different

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing the Switch version of the original (despite having it on PC). It's a damn impressive port. There's pop-in of details on things, but you can see the shapes of structures from a pretty good distance, further than I expected on Switch. Textures are reduced but it's really not an incredibly huge hit. Framerate is pretty solid and does dip sometimes, but really isn't that bad. It usually drops from 30 to 25 at worst. Perfectly playable and quite impressive. I've gotten the seaglide and am building a base. I went down to the grassy fields and it's still pretty good looking.

Honestly Subnautica was a game I really wanted on a handheld, so that was why I picked it up.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Major props to the devs for the patch, performance on XSX is drastically improved, I'd been playing extensively pre patch and after an hour this morning it's clear there's a huge improvement.
Draw distance is better, framerate is better (particularly indoors which makes crafting much smoother and faster I have found)
There are some QOL improvements such as the fabricator grouping items differently and I have also noticed some graphical differences such as the sand shark things digging up sand and making clouds, which they never did before.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
How is Below Zero looking?
Realise I'm replying to an older post here, but BZ is playing and looking incredible, even on base PS4 for what it's worth.
The original had a bunch of problems (slow-down/stutter, pop-in, etc.) on PS4, and while I was still able to enjoy it I expected a similar UX with BZ.
Surprised and happy to say the difference is huge. I'm not sure what Unknown Worlds did, but seems like it's much better optimised on console!

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through it all again on Switch I'm having so much fun with it. I'm currently decking out my Cyclops I just built with coffee machines and Chinese Potato plants to have consistent food and water sources.