• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
If lifepods are the only story interaction you've had, then you're pretty far from the end

Time capsules are things left by other players. When you reach a certain point you can design your own time capsule, and they get voted on by the community to determine which ones make it into people's games

Oh damn. It's pretty much what I've done, plus investigating some wreckage I've found.

Can you hint about something I should look into to progress more into the story?

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Oh right that. I'm such an idiot. Went there but the Leviathan made it harder to look into, but I think I can do it better with the Seamoth. You can get inside the Aurora?
Yes, if you don't mind getting spoiled you can find how-to videos on YouTube on how to reach it. You can't get inside of it without the right equipment.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of progression, I'm desperately trying to find that exterior growbed but no luck so far (even with the wiki). is this something you'll eventually find through following the story or should I keep looking for it?

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
deactivate beacons or hud elements? if it's the former, you can toggle them on or off individually. i never had more than a few beacons up at a time, so i never had a need to mass toggle them on or off. i believe the beacons for the lifepods/various story elements should turn off automatically, so if they're staying on i can see how that might get overwhelming/cluttered, but it's been a while so i'm not completely sure.
I had like 20 of them, so it was really detrimental to the experience after a while, it was just polluting the whole hud and killing the immersion while I was exploring.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm going to check it out. Would you recommend me going before or after trying to get to the Officer's Pod 300m deep?
It doesn't really matter; I went as soon as I could (on my first playthrough I actually went too soon and stumbled across something that convinced me I had made a colossal error). The most important thing is that without the propulsion cannon (which I think you can scan in wrecks around the red grassy plateau area), there's not a huge amount you can do in the Aurora. Also bring a repair tool. Actually, I would definitely do the Aurora before doing that lifepod.

I had like 20 of them, so it was really detrimental to the experience after a while, it was just polluting the whole hud and killing the immersion while I was exploring.
You can disable them individually from appearing in your HUD, so there's really no incentive to not have them. If you don't want to see them, switch them off.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
It doesn't really matter; I went as soon as I could (on my first playthrough I actually went too soon and stumbled across something that convinced me I had made a colossal error). The most important thing is that without the propulsion cannon (which I think you can scan in wrecks around the red grassy plateau area), there's not a huge amount you can do in the Aurora. Also bring a repair tool. Actually, I would definitely do the Aurora before doing that lifepod.

I have them. Thanks, I'll do it today, I'll report tomorrow

Over and out

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll find it through normal progression but it's easy to overlook. How far are you in the story?
uh, last transmission was from lifepod 2, I think?

I fixed the aurora radiation leak, got the plans to build the rocket ship hangar, found the alien research facility (while looking for that growbed) found that squidfish egg and grew it in my aquarium, should I free him? - and most importantly found markiplier...

I'm trying to find some of the special ore types to upgrade my stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
uh, last transmission was from lifepod 2, I think?

I fixed the aurora radiation leak, got the plans to build the rocket ship hangar, found the alien research facility (while looking for that growbed) found that squidfish egg and grew it in my aquarium, should I free him? - and most importantly found markiplier...

I'm trying to find some of the special ore types to upgrade my stuff.
Probably should go back and check the radio again. At some point after exploring the Aurora you'll get a message that helps drive the story forward.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
All right, went into the Aurora. Was killed by those leechers, for some reason my knife didn't do anything after taking out the first that bited me. Second time wasn't a problem. Fixed the radiation leak, found a couple of codes for the lab and a cargo that I don't know where it is, but couldn't find more codes.

Read a bit the entries and it's quite interesting. But today I'll look closer at them. I obviously have the feeling I left a lot of stuff unchecked in there but I'm also unsure about what to do next, so I think I'll move around seeing what pop up

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Built a new base where all the red grass was. When I was in safe shallows, at night my power would go down. However, it seems like if I put in a power cell charger into the base, then overnight when the solar is offline, the base keeps going. Will it draw power from the batteries instead?

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yoooo, went into the Officer Keen stuff after going into the Aurora. Followed the tip to the land and what an experience going there investigating, specially:

Those Floating balls that grew giant, generating a whole island. That's incredible, specially since it's one of the first lifeform you encounter and it's like "oh cool", but then you see the floating Island.

And the story of the survivors, it's great. I got chills with the "we shouldn't have gone so deep. They don't want us there"

Now I gotta go 500m deep, however I still can't find Lifepod 7.

Also got a frigtning message after building a Multi use room and the observatory. And is it normal to start hearing whale like screams in the distance?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Built a new base where all the red grass was. When I was in safe shallows, at night my power would go down. However, it seems like if I put in a power cell charger into the base, then overnight when the solar is offline, the base keeps going. Will it draw power from the batteries instead?
The power level of the base is given as the total you currently have in reserve and the total possible. So, for example, your base might have 75 / 125 displayed, which means that you have 75 units of charge stored up and a possible max of 125. When the sun is out (assuming solar power here; there are other options), that first number will continue to rise, though if you're powering a lot of things, it might not rise as quick as you run through it. During the night, that first number will drop based on your power usage. The second number is static and reflects the total number of power sources connected; adding more solar cells will increase your potential reserves. At no point will your base ever start drawing a charge from power cells that you have connected to a charger in the base. It might be going down more slowly because fewer things are drawing a charge (the power cell charger won't draw power if all the cells in it are fully charged, for example). But there's no reversal option. The only way to get more base power reserves is installing additional power generating units. I ended up with like 15 solar panels and never had to worry about power draw again.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
You probably have your base built near Reefbacks. In time you'll learn to recognize their song as a sign of (relatively) safe waters :)

Weird, there aren't anyone near that base. I have like 10 bases, but the bigger one is near the aurora, close to the back engines (far enough from the Reaper Leviathan). The sound I hear is like a Whale singing rather than screaming or roaring

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Weird, there aren't anyone near that base. I have like 10 bases, but the bigger one is near the aurora, close to the back engines (far enough from the Reaper Leviathan). The sound I hear is like a Whale singing rather than screaming or roaring
Definitely reefbacks. I'm assuming you didn't build in the murky water of the crash site, since that's where the reapers spawn, which puts you on the eastern edge of either the safe shallows or grassy plateau, and the song of the reefback will be audible from both locations.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Definitely reefbacks. I'm assuming you didn't build in the murky water of the crash site, since that's where the reapers spawn, which puts you on the eastern edge of either the safe shallows or grassy plateau, and the song of the reefback will be audible from both locations.

Yeah, it's on the very limit between the kelp forest, safe shallow and behind the engine where the Reaper is. I mean you move a bit and can hear inmediatly the Reaper Roar.

Last night I went into the cave below the Grassy Plateau, that with the glowing mushrooms. The story is so good.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Can I stack the engine efficiency modules for the Cyclops? Or is any more than 1 of them not effective?

I put a battery charger in the Cyclops as well thinking to recharge my gear, but it seems to suck the power cells dry. Seems better / safer just to stuff some extra batteries in the storage lockers :)

Does leaving the lights on in the Cyclops also drain the batteries if I am not inside it?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Can I stack the engine efficiency modules for the Cyclops? Or is any more than 1 of them not effective?

I put a battery charger in the Cyclops as well thinking to recharge my gear, but it seems to suck the power cells dry. Seems better / safer just to stuff some extra batteries in the storage lockers :)

Does leaving the lights on in the Cyclops also drain the batteries if I am not inside it?
I don't believe engine modules stack but I could be wrong. The battery rechargers are horribly inefficient on the Cyclops, so just bring a stack of charged batteries with you. Leaving the lights on doesn't continue to drain power, no.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've lost the breadcrumb trail a bit, not quite sure what to do next...

I have what I think are:
  • All of the lifepods found
  • All of the Degasi survivor logs and bases found
  • Been to the QEP and the Disease Research bases
  • Fixed the Aurora
But, there are no more radio messages or beacons from logs. So I'm sure I've missed something. I've found a few pieces of Nickel in the underground / green area (quite deep). I've used it to make a MK2 depth for my Cyclops, as there is some kind of weird giant tree down there. I can't go beyond with my Seamoth because it goes past 900 ft. So my next journey is to try and drive the Cyclops down there. That seems like it will be a challenge as there are numerous hostile things and it is a tight space. And I'm only guessing I should go there next since "I can go there", but there are no more clues leading me places. Maybe that is how it is supposed to be.

In the Degasi survivor logs at the third base (deepest one), they mention that they found something "below, something that shouldn't be there". I assume they were referring to the Disease Research place? Or was it something else and there is more to search for below base #3?

I don't believe engine modules stack but I could be wrong. The battery rechargers are horribly inefficient on the Cyclops, so just bring a stack of charged batteries with you. Leaving the lights on doesn't continue to drain power, no.

Great, thanks! To be honest I almost prefer that. I enjoy the feeling of being out in the Cyclops and do a bunch of "missions", and when I'm low on supplies and energy I head back to home base to recharge everything and restock the Cyclops.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I feel like I've lost the breadcrumb trail a bit, not quite sure what to do next...

I have what I think are:
  • All of the lifepods found
  • All of the Degasi survivor logs and bases found
  • Been to the QEP and the Disease Research bases
  • Fixed the Aurora
But, there are no more radio messages or beacons from logs. So I'm sure I've missed something. I've found a few pieces of Nickel in the underground / green area (quite deep). I've used it to make a MK2 depth for my Cyclops, as there is some kind of weird giant tree down there. I can't go beyond with my Seamoth because it goes past 900 ft. So my next journey is to try and drive the Cyclops down there. That seems like it will be a challenge as there are numerous hostile things and it is a tight space. And I'm only guessing I should go there next since "I can go there", but there are no more clues leading me places. Maybe that is how it is supposed to be.

In the Degasi survivor logs at the third base (deepest one), they mention that they found something "below, something that shouldn't be there". I assume they were referring to the Disease Research place? Or was it something else and there is more to search for below base #3?

Great, thanks! To be honest I almost prefer that. I enjoy the feeling of being out in the Cyclops and do a bunch of "missions", and when I'm low on supplies and energy I head back to home base to recharge everything and restock the Cyclops.
Have you built the Prawn Suit yet?

-EDIT- To expand on the above:
Did you thoroughly explore the Disease Research Facility? Because there's a data log in there that references additional alien buildings for you to find. There's also a pretty significant prompt about the player that gives you an impetus to continue finding more facilities. If you haven't had that story beat happen, you need to explore that facility further.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
All right! Got the Prawn Suit built, bummer that the Cyclops can't have more than one vehicle with it at the same time though

So I went into the Alien Facility that shot down the rescue ship. Used the Purple Tablet that I foung on the floating Island. I also got the message for the Neptune with the plans for the base. As I understand, If I want to build the rocket and leave the planet I have to deactivate the gun. To deactivate the gun I need to cure my infection. For that I should go into the facilities deep down the sea, where "they do not want us there".

What could go wrong?

Loving this game, despite the bugs and perfomance issues

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Have you built the Prawn Suit yet?

-EDIT- To expand on the above:
Did you thoroughly explore the Disease Research Facility? Because there's a data log in there that references additional alien buildings for you to find. There's also a pretty significant prompt about the player that gives you an impetus to continue finding more facilities. If you haven't had that story beat happen, you need to explore that facility further.

Ok, well I got much further... the below isn't really a reply or a question, but I just felt the need to gush a bit about the game and needed to write something ;)

I followed my hunch and got the Cyclops down to the Ghost Tree. That was quite an adventure in itself, navigating around the perils of the Lost River!

Sure enough, past the Ghost Tree, there is lava everywhere. It was deeper than I could go with my gear, but fortunatly as I had my Prawn docked in the Cyclops bay and a mod station on the sub, I went back to lost river and could farm the Nickel I needed to upgrade the depth mods, right there on the spot. Boy, I love that Cyclops.

So down we go into the lava zone. I prefer going with the lights off becasue it seems, or maybe I just like to believe, that it drawns less attention from the creatures. So the atmosphere for the lava zone is dark, oppressive, things lit by a hot red glow if they are lit at all. Managed to find some Kyanite down there, and once again with the mod station on board I could get the depth mods right away. The Prawn of course made sense, because it was in the vehicle bay. I guess it is more of a bug than a feature, but I saved the game just to see if I could swap the Cyclops one fast enough to not get crushed. As soon as I removed the MK2, alarms were going off saying surface immediatly. But since I didn't move, I didn't seem to take any damage. I upgraded to the MK3 and re-installed, now good for the deepest parts of the game. Which was great but a *tiny* part of me was dissapointed I didn't have to wait to install it until I could get higher.

At any rate, now I began exploring the lava zone in earnest. I found there were some kind of parasites that would attach to the sub and start sucking the energy out. I had to keep getting off and inspecting the sub to knock them off with the knife.

With some more wandering, the computer chimed in and said that it detected something below the "natural structure in the center of this cave". That was a bit vague for me, so at first I missed it... instead I found these triple lava falls going even deeper, so with some care I navigated the Cyclops down there.

Underneath there was a giant lava lake, and a large alien facility in the middle of it. There was also an *enourmous* sea leviathan patrolling the area who was more than happy to give my Cyclops a whack and send the alarms blaring. With water pouring in, I quickly had to get out of the way and tuck the sub in behind the facility so I could get out and do some repairs.

Once I get that fixed up, I start concentrating on trying to get into the facility. The front door seems obvious enough, but it is locked with a blue tablet, which I have not seen before. So I started exploring the rest of the area with the Prawn trying to see if there was another way in. After some time I figured there was simply no alternative, so I dropped a beacon determined to come back later.

At this point, now I had a bit of a problem with my Cyclops... the doors wouldn't open to let my Prawn back in. I couldn't figure out why, so I tried getting out and swimming in the hatch, which worked. To my surprise, the lights were off and the computer informed me that we were running on emergency power only. Unfortunatly while I had been parked for 30+ minutes, I had failed to see some of those parasites attached to the hull, and they had drained the power cells totally dry. Fortunatly, I had created some spares because I didn't know how long the trip would be, so I knocked those pests off, put in a couple of new cells, and headed back out of the cave... but now I would have to be pretty careful with my power. I debated going back to base, but I resolved to explore a bit more first with the power I had left.

After a few more close calls with that giant monster, I made it back up the lava falls and into the first area. I kept exploring and then was lucky enough to see a faint greenish glow, the colour usually associated with the alien tech. I headed over, and there was an entrance into a large cavern, this must have been the "natural structure" the computer had mentioned earlier that I had missed.

I didn't have any more backup power cells, so after my first experience I decided that to be safe, I would pull all of the power cells out of the engine before leaving the Cyclops. I would need to power back up before getting the Prawn back in the sub, but the doors do open without power to let you out at least. Suck on that dry tank, you buggers!

I headed on inside with the Prawn, and sure enough, there was the alien facility I had been looking for originally.

Exploring inside, I was excited to find not only the mysterious blue tablet, but blueprints for ion batteries and ion power cells! Since I was traveling with a stock of materials on the Cyclops, I was able to make an ion power cell. I decided that using one of my few ion cubes was worth it to get me out of this situation. Combined with what charge was left in the remaining cells, I had more power than ever, even with those leeches on the hull. With this new development, I decided I no longer needed to head back to base, and I was determined to head back to the facility with the blue tablet and unlock that front door.

After navigating back to the lava lake, I lowered the forcefield and stepped inside. The large room in the middle was a veritable trasure trove of artifacts to scan, but the best part was in the middle... a machine that generated seemingly unlimited ion cubes out of nothing! Using this I would be able to change all of my power cells for ion power cells.

At this point this was in danger of approaching 2 AM on a worknight, so I had to save the game and get to bed. It has been a long time since a game sucked me in like that.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Ok, well I got much further... the below isn't really a reply or a question, but I just felt the need to gush a bit about the game and needed to write something ;)

I followed my hunch and got the Cyclops down to the Ghost Tree. That was quite an adventure in itself, navigating around the perils of the Lost River!

Sure enough, past the Ghost Tree, there is lava everywhere. It was deeper than I could go with my gear, but fortunatly as I had my Prawn docked in the Cyclops bay and a mod station on the sub, I went back to lost river and could farm the Nickel I needed to upgrade the depth mods, right there on the spot. Boy, I love that Cyclops.

So down we go into the lava zone. I prefer going with the lights off becasue it seems, or maybe I just like to believe, that it drawns less attention from the creatures. So the atmosphere for the lava zone is dark, oppressive, things lit by a hot red glow if they are lit at all. Managed to find some Kyanite down there, and once again with the mod station on board I could get the depth mods right away. The Prawn of course made sense, because it was in the vehicle bay. I guess it is more of a bug than a feature, but I saved the game just to see if I could swap the Cyclops one fast enough to not get crushed. As soon as I removed the MK2, alarms were going off saying surface immediatly. But since I didn't move, I didn't seem to take any damage. I upgraded to the MK3 and re-installed, now good for the deepest parts of the game. Which was great but a *tiny* part of me was dissapointed I didn't have to wait to install it until I could get higher.

At any rate, now I began exploring the lava zone in earnest. I found there were some kind of parasites that would attach to the sub and start sucking the energy out. I had to keep getting off and inspecting the sub to knock them off with the knife.

With some more wandering, the computer chimed in and said that it detected something below the "natural structure in the center of this cave". That was a bit vague for me, so at first I missed it... instead I found these triple lava falls going even deeper, so with some care I navigated the Cyclops down there.

Underneath there was a giant lava lake, and a large alien facility in the middle of it. There was also an *enourmous* sea leviathan patrolling the area who was more than happy to give my Cyclops a whack and send the alarms blaring. With water pouring in, I quickly had to get out of the way and tuck the sub in behind the facility so I could get out and do some repairs.

Once I get that fixed up, I start concentrating on trying to get into the facility. The front door seems obvious enough, but it is locked with a blue tablet, which I have not seen before. So I started exploring the rest of the area with the Prawn trying to see if there was another way in. After some time I figured there was simply no alternative, so I dropped a beacon determined to come back later.

At this point, now I had a bit of a problem with my Cyclops... the doors wouldn't open to let my Prawn back in. I couldn't figure out why, so I tried getting out and swimming in the hatch, which worked. To my surprise, the lights were off and the computer informed me that we were running on emergency power only. Unfortunatly while I had been parked for 30+ minutes, I had failed to see some of those parasites attached to the hull, and they had drained the power cells totally dry. Fortunatly, I had created some spares because I didn't know how long the trip would be, so I knocked those pests off, put in a couple of new cells, and headed back out of the cave... but now I would have to be pretty careful with my power. I debated going back to base, but I resolved to explore a bit more first with the power I had left.

After a few more close calls with that giant monster, I made it back up the lava falls and into the first area. I kept exploring and then was lucky enough to see a faint greenish glow, the colour usually associated with the alien tech. I headed over, and there was an entrance into a large cavern, this must have been the "natural structure" the computer had mentioned earlier that I had missed.

I didn't have any more backup power cells, so after my first experience I decided that to be safe, I would pull all of the power cells out of the engine before leaving the Cyclops. I would need to power back up before getting the Prawn back in the sub, but the doors do open without power to let you out at least. Suck on that dry tank, you buggers!

I headed on inside with the Prawn, and sure enough, there was the alien facility I had been looking for originally.

Exploring inside, I was excited to find not only the mysterious blue tablet, but blueprints for ion batteries and ion power cells! Since I was traveling with a stock of materials on the Cyclops, I was able to make an ion power cell. I decided that using one of my few ion cubes was worth it to get me out of this situation. Combined with what charge was left in the remaining cells, I had more power than ever, even with those leeches on the hull. With this new development, I decided I no longer needed to head back to base, and I was determined to head back to the facility with the blue tablet and unlock that front door.

After navigating back to the lava lake, I lowered the forcefield and stepped inside. The large room in the middle was a veritable trasure trove of artifacts to scan, but the best part was in the middle... a machine that generated seemingly unlimited ion cubes out of nothing! Using this I would be able to change all of my power cells for ion power cells.

At this point this was in danger of approaching 2 AM on a worknight, so I had to save the game and get to bed. It has been a long time since a game sucked me in like that.
Sounds like you're making good progress. I knew about the Sea Dragon Leviathan before entering the lava zone, so I figured I would skirt around the outside wall to avoid it thinking that it only patrolled in the middle of that wide open area. I came around a corner, and came face to face with it so close that I was basically in its jaws. And it swatted me aside like a toy as I started shrieking. Then it began spitting fireballs as I made a beeline for the center rock formation using my grapple arm to basically swing like Spider-man. Absolutely terrifying.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Aaaaandddd we're done! Farewell 4546B, what a fantastic experience... 2 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes. I normally only have a few hours of gaming a week, but I found myself making time for this game... sometimes to my detriment on a work day ;). I don't know how many people played this game, but it wasn't enough.Below Zero just jumped to the top of my list, although I'm hesitant to go the early access route since this one was so great as a complete experience.

My only minor "gripes" against the game is that once you get to the primary containment facility, the end game wraps up fast. Maybe it was just because I spent so much of the time exploring and stockpiling resources, but at the end I pretty much had everything to make the hatching enzyme and build the Neptune in my storage lockers. Although I suppose in a survival game being flush with supplies is akin to hitting max level at the end of your RPG.

Also, there didn't seem to be enough to do with the endgame materials... so much effort and planning went into getting them (which was a joy in and of itself), but after they were used only in a few (key) components.

How do you find time capsules, if that is even possible? I never even had a hint that they existed. Or maybe they are only for subsequent playthroughs? Really neat mechanic though.

I hear No Mans Sky has an Aquatic add on now, maybe I will have to try that out in the meantime ;)

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Aaaaandddd we're done! Farewell 4546B, what a fantastic experience... 2 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes. I normally only have a few hours of gaming a week, but I found myself making time for this game... sometimes to my detriment on a work day ;). I don't know how many people played this game, but it wasn't enough.Below Zero just jumped to the top of my list, although I'm hesitant to go the early access route since this one was so great as a complete experience.

My only minor "gripes" against the game is that once you get to the primary containment facility, the end game wraps up fast. Maybe it was just because I spent so much of the time exploring and stockpiling resources, but at the end I pretty much had everything to make the hatching enzyme and build the Neptune in my storage lockers. Although I suppose in a survival game being flush with supplies is akin to hitting max level at the end of your RPG.

Also, there didn't seem to be enough to do with the endgame materials... so much effort and planning went into getting them (which was a joy in and of itself), but after they were used only in a few (key) components.

How do you find time capsules, if that is even possible? I never even had a hint that they existed. Or maybe they are only for subsequent playthroughs? Really neat mechanic though.

I hear No Mans Sky has an Aquatic add on now, maybe I will have to try that out in the meantime ;)

Didn't read the spoiler since I still haven't finished but yeah, the game it's quite the adventure. The same happens to me, I just eat the game like I'm always hungry

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
uhm... I'm not quite sure where to go

I was farming/drilling like crazy to get all the upgrades for all the vehicles. thought I'd take my prawn down the rabbit hole, really just out of curiosity. I got to the alien facility deep in the volcano, got in and.. it needs a blue key card? is that something you have to find somewhere else? so far I've only seen 3 alien buildings: the one on the island with the cannon, the containment research and this one now. I still got the orange key card, that I never had to use. I guess it's too early to go down there right now?

either way, I got so much material, I could build my own little town!

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
uhm... I'm not quite sure where to go

I was farming/drilling like crazy to get all the upgrades for all the vehicles. thought I'd take my prawn down the rabbit hole, really just out of curiosity. I got to the alien facility deep in the volcano, got in and.. it needs a blue key card? is that something you have to find somewhere else? so far I've only seen 3 alien buildings: the one on the island with the cannon, the containment research and this one now. I still got the orange key card, that I never had to use. I guess it's too early to go down there right now?

either way, I got so much material, I could build my own little town!

You are on the right track...

You went a bit too far. You need to find the thermal power facility which is almost in the same region. Go back up the lava falls you came down into the lava region above you and explore some more. Your PDA will give you a hint for navigating the area. The same thing happened to me., I found it easy to miss ;)

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are on the right track...

You went a bit too far. You need to find the thermal power facility which is almost in the same region. Go back up the lava falls you came down into the lava region above you and explore some more. Your PDA will give you a hint for navigating the area. The same thing happened to me., I found it easy to miss ;)
thanks! couldn't find anything, because you can't see shit while driving the cyclops. probably gonna investigate with my prawn suit first to know, where I'm supposed to go. those energy leeches are a huge pain in the butt, though!

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
thanks! couldn't find anything, because you can't see shit while driving the cyclops. probably gonna investigate with my prawn suit first to know, where I'm supposed to go. those energy leeches are a huge pain in the butt, though!
I'm impressed you brought the Cyclops that far. I did basically that whole region in the Prawn Suit, which is excellent for mobility when compared to the Cyclops, but it does make you feel quite vulnerable. But if you have the grapple arm, it's excellent; it would be the best swinging mechanics in a game all year had Spider-Man not come out.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 10 hours into this game and really enjoying myself. Just started building a few simple bases and found a heat vent for the first time. Going below 200M unveils all sorts of weird stuff, and things get a lot more scary once you only have your headlights to go on.

I wish I knew that you could build a tube for a base earlier. I thought I needed the multipurpose room module, and had been using this horrible storage setup that consisted of like ten floating storage lockers. Now everything's in a base, and I have no idea what to do with those water lockers.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm about 10 hours into this game and really enjoying myself. Just started building a few simple bases and found a heat vent for the first time. Going below 200M unveils all sorts of weird stuff, and things get a lot more scary once you only have your headlights to go on.

I wish I knew that you could build a tube for a base earlier. I thought I needed the multipurpose room module, and had been using this horrible storage setup that consisted of like ten floating storage lockers. Now everything's in a base, and I have no idea what to do with those water lockers.
Are those the ones that don't return resources for breaking them down? I ended up leaving a whole bunch of them up near my starting lifepod. They're really not much use as you progress.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can tell, I can't break them down. There's no prompt when I point the habitat builder at it.

Yeah they just get junked unfortunately. They are cheap to make but I try and stick to 1 to 2 of them tops. I pack em back up and put then in the lifepod storage when it is time to move on to a proper base.

You can also just dump them in a trash can to remove them totally.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wish I found out about tiny bases and lockers sooner. I knew making lots of them was a bad solution from the start, but thought I couldn't build a base yet.

I guess I'll toss them later once i have a trash can.

Edit: do bases broadcast their location on the HUD? Or do I need to put down a beacon at each one?

Last edited:

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Yeah, I wish I found out about tiny bases and lockers sooner. I knew making lots of them was a bad solution from the start, but thought I couldn't build a base yet.

I guess I'll toss them later once i have a trash can.

Edit: do bases broadcast their location on the HUD? Or do I need to put down a beacon at each one?

You need to put Beacons on them. I also use the Scan Room Cameras as beacons lol

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
You need to put Beacons on them. I also use the Scan Room Cameras as beacons lol
Ah, okay. I don't have Scan Rooms yet (or any rooms, really - all my bases are tubes lol), but I'm glad to know my putting down beacons everywhere isn't useless.

I explored a few other places yesterday and made some good progress. I'm swimming in rare minerals like diamonds and gold now, thanks to a certain area, and strangely enough I'm now super starved for copper because I keep making new batteries/power cells. I can't recharge them because I can't make charging stations.

I checked out the island with the huge alien gun turret on it again, which is where all the rare minerals came from. Found a big gate at the top, went all the way back to my lifepod to fetch a green cube for it, then it turns out it's some sort of fast travel portal? It sent me to the other side of the map, to that island held up by giant floaters. Which is nice, because I don't think I explored that island fully. I see a rusted wreck at the top of a mountain there, so I'm going to go explore there soon.

The next things on my list are to explore this big wreck near my lifepod that I somehow missed for 10+ hours, and then it's off to that floater island to check out whatever that rusted thing is. I think I'll build a small base there because it's so far away from anything else I have.

Oh, and I juked a reaper for the first time. I heard its roar behind me, turned my seamoth hard, and the reaper went straight through where I used to be. I got away unscathed.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Ah, okay. I don't have Scan Rooms yet (or any rooms, really - all my bases are tubes lol), but I'm glad to know my putting down beacons everywhere isn't useless.

I explored a few other places yesterday and made some good progress. I'm swimming in rare minerals like diamonds and gold now, thanks to a certain area, and strangely enough I'm now super starved for copper because I keep making new batteries/power cells. I can't recharge them because I can't make charging stations.

I checked out the island with the huge alien gun turret on it again, which is where all the rare minerals came from. Found a big gate at the top, went all the way back to my lifepod to fetch a green cube for it, then it turns out it's some sort of fast travel portal? It sent me to the other side of the map, to that island held up by giant floaters. Which is nice, because I don't think I explored that island fully. I see a rusted wreck at the top of a mountain there, so I'm going to go explore there soon.

The next things on my list are to explore this big wreck near my lifepod that I somehow missed for 10+ hours, and then it's off to that floater island to check out whatever that rusted thing is. I think I'll build a small base there because it's so far away from anything else I have.

Oh, and I juked a reaper for the first time. I heard its roar behind me, turned my seamoth hard, and the reaper went straight through where I used to be. I got away unscathed.

You are making good progress, it took me way longer to know what you know lol

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017

One tip that's relevent for the place you're planning to explore, which might be obvious, but I didn't figure it out for a long time.. you can get seeds from many (though not all) plants by knifing them. Make sure to not eat all of the food you find until you've made sure to save whatever you need to grow more yourself. There are some things that you only find a few of, and if you eat them all you'll never be able to grow more

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thanks for the heads up. I thought stuff like that respawned, so that's good to know.

I do need to start growing things, but I can't make a base big enough to hold a grow bed yet.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, thanks for the heads up. I thought stuff like that respawned, so that's good to know.

I do need to start growing things, but I can't make a base big enough to hold a grow bed yet.

Something I didn't find obvious when I was first playing... scan everything you find including buildings. I didn't find that well described and went through a good chunk of the game not even knowing you could do that.

You don't need to grow food, although obviously it is very convenient. I went through most of the game eating fish, and curing fish for longer treks. I will say that at ~ 23 "food points" for each fish, those 75 point nutrient bars are precious. Really fantastic to bring one when you are unsure how long a mission will take. When I did have a more defined plan, I'd usually stock up 3-6 cured fish instead, and then head back to base when I was out of supplies.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Explored those places I mentioned in my last post. I can now make bigger rooms, and started my first growbeds with some seeds/cuttings I found. It's nice to have growable foods handy, since I'm getting extremely tired of hunting fish, and I'm not really keen on using salt to cure more fish than I need. I'm also starting to make more water - I'm generally getting tired of keeping up with food and water lol.

I desperately need a charger because I'm still starved for copper and I'm building a locker full of dead batteries at this point. I didn't even know the scanner had a battery in it until it suddenly went dead. I found 1/2 of the blueprints for a charger, so I guess my next job is to scour the sea floor for more wrecks to explore, and hope I find a charger in one of them.

I'm enjoying the game so far, but there are some lulls in the action sometimes.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Explored those places I mentioned in my last post. I can now make bigger rooms, and started my first growbeds with some seeds/cuttings I found. It's nice to have growable foods handy, since I'm getting extremely tired of hunting fish, and I'm not really keen on using salt to cure more fish than I need. I'm also starting to make more water - I'm generally getting tired of keeping up with food and water lol.

I desperately need a charger because I'm still starved for copper and I'm building a locker full of dead batteries at this point. I didn't even know the scanner had a battery in it until it suddenly went dead. I found 1/2 of the blueprints for a charger, so I guess my next job is to scour the sea floor for more wrecks to explore, and hope I find a charger in one of them.

I'm enjoying the game so far, but there are some lulls in the action sometimes.

Definitely battery charger is an ASAP requirement. It is probably (IMO) the second-most important building/base thing that you can create. You are fortunately able to find it fairly early. Once you have it, you basically just recycle the same sets of batteries each time you return back to base to unload. It's also one of the few things in the base that are a significant power draw, so if you are still running with a single solar panel it might not cut it, and you'll need to get some more serious power.

Did you repair the radio in your lifepod by the way? That is what provides a lot of the direction / objectives for the first 2/3 of the game. Without the radio working, it might feel like you are just swimming around base building and fish eating with no larger goal.

• Kelp Forest
  • Grassy Plateaus

• The next level of power up is the Bioreactor. It isn't passive, you have to keep fueling it.
  • You can stock it with anything organic, but fish are the best.
  • Peepers are perfectly acceptable, but their bigger cousin the Oculus (found only in the Jellyshroom Caves) is the best.
  • If it just seems too cruel to turn them into fuel, try gel sacks from caves, or in a pinch acid mushrooms.

• If you have not done it yet, it is worth going to the Aurora ASAP to fix the reactor leak
  • You only need a repair tool to get this done. If you have other gear by now, you can get some more loot as well, but to get into the wreck and fix the leak you need only the repair tool
  • The reason to do this is because quite a lot of interesting things are below 100m, but this will make your O2 get used up much faster unless you have a rebreather.
  • If you have the rebreather equipped instead of the rad suit, you will take damage from radiation in some of these zones if you have not fixed the leak
  • It is a net time save to go and fix the reactor leak even if you have to make more trips back to the Aurora in the future, as compared to having to go back and get more air at a higher frequency when diving deep.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely battery charger is an ASAP requirement. It is probably (IMO) the second-most important building/base thing that you can create. You are fortunately able to find it fairly early. Once you have it, you basically just recycle the same sets of batteries each time you return back to base to unload. It's also one of the few things in the base that are a significant power draw, so if you are still running with a single solar panel it might not cut it, and you'll need to get some more serious power.

Did you repair the radio in your lifepod by the way? That is what provides a lot of the direction / objectives for the first 2/3 of the game. Without the radio working, it might feel like you are just swimming around base building and fish eating with no larger goal.

• Kelp Forest
  • Grassy Plateaus

• The next level of power up is the Bioreactor. It isn't passive, you have to keep fueling it.
  • Peepers are perfectly acceptable, but their bigger cousin the Oculus (found only in the Jellyshroom Caves) is the best.
  • If it just seems too cruel to turn them into fuel, try gel sacks from caves, or in a pinch acid mushrooms.

• If you have not done it yet, it is worth going to the Aurora ASAP to fix the reactor leak
  • You only need a repair tool to get this done. If you have other gear by now, you can get some more loot as well, but to get into the wreck and fix the leak you need only the repair tool
  • The reason to do this is because quite a lot of interesting things are below 100m, but this will make your O2 get used up much faster unless you have a rebreather.
  • If you have the rebreather equipped instead of the rad suit, you will take damage from radiation in some of these zones if you have not fixed the leak
  • It is a net time save to go and fix the reactor leak even if you have to make more trips back to the Aurora in the future, as compared to having to go back and get more air at a higher frequency when diving deep.
Thanks. I've done all of that except getting the battery charger, so I'll go look for that next.

Funnily enough, I do have the better power option you mentioned, but because I haven't decided where I want to place my "home" base, I haven't built it yet.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Once you have the external growbeds to be able to grow more of them, I think acid mushrooms are the best for it