• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
So apologize if I shouldn't spin this into it's own topic, but I kind of want to talk about this game and the early signs this might be a legitimate masterpiece genre-defining game down the line, and I think it's a game who's ripples are going to be felt in the years to come and will grow from where it is right this very moment pretty soon.

SubnauticaImage-650x375.jpg

For those who don't know, Subnautica is an underwater survival game that was in Early Access on Steam for the last 2.5 years, and just fully released a week and a half ago to the full version. It is hitting Xbox One later this year confirmed, and they also have announced there will be a PS4 version but no exact date announced.

So I had seen this game briefly here and there over the years, but I finally got around to playing it and seeing what 'splashes' (pun intended) it's been making around the internet, and all I can say is... Goddamn.

Legitimately, no joke, going off my own feelings after just playing it for 12 hours and looking at the reception both from users, critics, and digging deeper into it, I think Subnautica may end up being a revolutionary game. On Steam it's currently over 2 million sales, but I can see this number growing a lot in the months to come, and especially once it hits consoles.

The initial turn-off for a lot of people on the surface is the game is a single-player only survival game, there is no multiplayer component and they have confirmed there never will be. That may disappoint some at first, but delving into the game I completely see why. I'm not typically a fan of survival games, they have a lot of flaws I could sit here writing a game design thesis on, but Subnautica has successfully avoided nearly every pitfall of the genre, all the while having super creative solutions to problems of the genre and engineering an experience I (and apparently many others) have never had with a survival game. No joke, I think this is the most innovative and well done survival game since Minecraft (though for very different reasons).

So Subnautica is different than most survival games in the fact that it's set in an almost entirely underwater world. It's set on an alien planet so all the life is foreign with only resemblances to real world aquatic life, but it captures the element of being underwater perfectly and better than any game I've ever played. This is going to be hard to explain, but this game is one of the only games I've played that successfully makes you feel like you're "under the water"... There's a lot of games with water in them, but Subnautica goes a huge extra mile here and stimulates a lot of real world feelings associated with the ocean. Everything from the visuals to the sounds when going from above and below water, to how things change the deeper in the water you go with the visuals and sounds add a lot. And of course the underwater aspect adds some to a survival game, there is a native and immediately understandable goal and objective provided. You start off with a lower oxygen tank, and you can only go so deep before you need to surface again to get air. This adds to some early risk and reward and makes a unsaid but immediately understandable goal that there's things the deeper into the sea you go. This unsaid objective is portrayed completely through the scenario you're in, being stranded in an alien ocean and needing to scavenge and survive. You start off in some shallow waters, but venture out a bit and you see the ocean floor gets deeper and deeper. It's scary, but also fascinating, which leads to one of the next things why this game works.

ss_b28404f3d108cc15aebbb2c3d7cb17e587225662-1920x1080.jpg

The world is lush and interesting. One of the biggest flaws of so many survival games is they have barren large worlds with repetitive going ons that draw thin after a few hours. Subnautica's ocean is big, but not TOO big (it's about 2.5k by 2.5km width), but it also ends up being a lot bigger due to depth and the verticality of the world. But the ocean is not barren, it's absolutely full of things to see and do. There's several different biomes, and each one has a legitimately completely different feel to them with different things to come to discover and expect from each. This may not sound as impressive in writing, but having the biomes change so much and having some really unexpected biomes I don't want to spoil come into play makes it so if you can slip into a completely different experience when you're willing and ready, the sort of things you do and tackle in each biome is quite different. It's a game full of discovery, you can literally spend hours and hours playing this and still be discovering new stuff.

I also will throw out there the world has the 'right' level of randomization; The game is not randomly generated per say, but there are randomly generated parts of it. It makes it so different runs have surprises but the world is structured and detailed enough to be lush and personalized. I think they found the right balance of what to make random and what to make designed by hand.

Which leads into the next thing; more than ANY other survival game I've played, it is a game about discovery and learning your way. I HIGHLY suggest not looking up a wiki or spoiling the game for yourself and going in as blind as possible. The game avoids doing entirely cryptic shit for progression while also giving you little to no instruction. How you do things in the world are intuitive and make some level of real world sense, or have intuitive designs to make them easy enough to learn and perform if you think of them. It's a game where the discovery is vast, but the crypticness of how to do things isn't a huge barrier to entry. When you first start playing you'll probably die from thirst or hunger, but you quickly begin to learn the lay of the land and from experiences you learn more and more and begin to utilize that knowledge which opens up new possibilities. It has a perfect balance of leaving you to your own devices while making progression more open and intuitive with some good applied real world and in-game logic that's easy to understand and perform when you figure stuff out.

ee7f9dae51.jpg

A lot of people loved Breath of the Wild recently due to it having a 'living breathing' world, and Subnautica has this in spades but with an even greater sense of mystery. Underwater life is strange, and how they all interact with the world is fascinating to learn and observe. Everything in the sea acts upon it's own behaviors, and even things like rock, seaweed, and coral formations act into the world. There's a lot of freedom to experiment and play around with things in the world which are pretty fun to toy with and learn.

And then there's base building. You start off in an escape pod that's crash landed that you work to repair to get some extra functionalities from it, but you begin to build things. The building in this game is surprisingly easy and intuitive with great results, it can become absolutely addicting to build your own underwater facilities, or to build something like a submarine and personalize it to your own taste to go seafaring. You can create multiple bases, or sprawling underwater labyrinths if you desire, it's done in such an easy and fun way to mess around with that you can lose hours just building bases.

Helped is the underwater machines you create also are quite fun and different. You can begin to build crazier and crazier things that change how to approach and play the game as well. As some people here may echo, the Cyclops is literally one of the most fun vehicles in any game I've ever played. It takes a bit to build it, but it's absolutely worth it. If you want a powersuit with a grappling hook, then make one and try to be a slow but powerful tank that can sink to the depths. Or make something agile and aerodynamic. The vehicles are a lot of fun to play in as well and provide different gameplay experiences.

2f5e78437bd8878a71c35837b345f99f.jpg

And if all of this wasn't enough, the game actually has a pretty good story. This is maybe the first survival game I've played that legitimately has an engrossing narrative to partake in. It has voice acting and writing way better than it should have, and the slowly unveils more and more of a bigger mystery as you go along the game. I won't spoil it, but it's surprisingly engaging and is great to splitting up between oceanic fairs.

Add to this unlike most survival games following the story is ALSO intuitively designed. There's a radio in your starting escape pod/bases you build which gives you distress calls that give you points to travel to that edge you to the next story objective when you're ready. The radio stuff comes in frequently enough to give you stuff to do, and move you along a surprisingly interesting narrative.

And to all of this, this is a game that both does beauty extremely well, as well as terror. The alien ocean is beautiful and full of lush details and countless sights to see, and there's is some serene relaxing elements to the game. However, this is also quite possibly the scariest survival game made yet. And not just in startle scares, it can be legitimately unnerving and terrifying. The game is not combat focused, it has no guns and for a long stretch at the start you'll either have no weapons or a dingy knife, but even the more powerful weapons though good against smaller pests can't reasonably tackle some of the leviathans and nightmares of the deep. Some oceanic forces are nearly unkillable unless you're really talented, and much in the ocean wants to kill you. There is a surprising variety of life in the sea, from peaceful types of types that defend territory, to predators and things much stranger than that. But staring down into a deep sea chasm and seeing something shuffling in the darkness, or lowering yourself into a deep sea cavern and see some shape coming closer to you from the darkness, can be absolutely scary as all hell. It's not a horror game, but some of its scariest moments can rival the best of the horror genre, and it makes sure you're never feeling too safe in the deep.

D6F4D21976532C008736DCAA9E3802DAE0BDE502

The game is chock full of surprises, and it legitimately is a game I think is best to go in blind and discover things on your own. There's a lot I'm not saying, but I think more than any other survival game this game is all at once more mechanically interesting, well-designed, with an actually good story, that can actually be both beautiful and scary, full of a sense of wonder and discovery, with a populated and lush world with much to do for literally hours and hours of game time, and an incredibly easy world to get lost and immersed in with quite possibly the best realized underwater game environment of all time.

This is maybe forward saying, but I legitimately think this game is a game changer of the like how Ocarina of Time changed games, how Halo changed FPS, how RE4 changed third-person games. I think this game will have massive ripples on the survival genre. It is not only incredibly well made for what it is, it also solves so many issues of the genre it stems from with intuitive design and ingenuity, and is quite possibly the best survival game ever made, and hell even one of the best 'open world exploration discovery' games ever made.

I am curious what ResetEra thinks?

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
It's a very good game, but I still prefer Empyrion: Galactic Survival due to the better building options and how vehicles and even capital ships are implemented at the expense of some visual fidelity.

Granted, it's still rougher in some aspects, but it's gripping me more in the long run.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very good game, but I still prefer Empyrion: Galactic Survival due to the better building options and how vehicles and even capital ships are implemented at the expense of some visual fidelity.

It's definitely a point to be made, building is simplified partially as it's not the focal point of the game and they focused on making it intuitive rather than expansive. For full on building I do think there's some more in-depth options, but I do think Subnautica benefits from making its other elements far more engaging than we typically see in survival games, from the world to the story to discovery and how it mechanically tackles some things just just from an underwater gameplay perspective, but also just tackling issues the survival genre in general has had with some fun design and mechanic decisions. I do honestly feel it'll end up becoming a template game for the genre.

But there some focal points that may differ from person is definitely one thing to mention.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the best survival/creative game I've played. It's interesting, captivating, fresh, immersive, and relaxing.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
I'm 20 hours in and legit think it'll end up as my GOTY (if this was still 2017, it'd be at #2 behind BotW and tied with Hollow Knight). It's amazing and brilliant in so many ways. The problem with selling the game, though, is that the less you know the better. There are so many cool things in the game that you should be surprised by.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did the game change a lot from how it was in early access a year ago? Nice to read the great impressions.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 20 hours in and legit think it'll end up as my GOTY (if this was still 2017, it'd be at #2 behind BotW and tied with Hollow Knight). It's amazing and brilliant in so many ways. The problem with selling the game, though, is that the less you know the better. There are so many cool things in the game that you should be surprised by.

That's the issue I had writing this OP as well. I tried to express why I think it will be, but I had to exclude so much. It is a game where discovery and surprises is a huge, HUGE part of the experience, so it's basically amounted to, "Hey, this game does this and this well, play it you may be very surprised by it, and uh try not to spoil some things for yourself. Trust me, it's best experienced going in blind."

Did the game change a lot from how it was in early access a year ago? Nice to read the great impressions.

Yes, if you look at early gameplay and now full release gameplay there's some big night and day differences.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Leviathans and Nightmares of the deep you say? Yeah that's a hard pass for me. I don't understand why I find underwater stuff so scary. It could be the exact same game but in space and I would be totally fine.

Everything about it sounds amazing though.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was interested in it for awhile but after the racist/batshit rants one of the devs did/are doing im not really feeling it anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the game is great; it's genre defining, but I would say it defines more the exploration genre, the survival angle of the game is pretty soft.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying it a lot but like with all survival games the endless collecting of resources gets tiring for me. I might just do freedom mode and quit the current survival run im on.

asun

Nov 10, 2017
this game looks pretty intriguing, but first-person is a big turn-off for me. they almost always give me motion sickness. is first-person the only way of playing it?

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
I'm enjoying it a lot but like with all survival games the endless collecting of resources gets tiring for me. I might just do freedom mode and quit the current survival run im on.

I'm playing freedom mode as I didn't want to deal with hunger and thirst and I'm loving it. It's the same experience, just without having to worry about eating and drinking. That said, I hear hunger and thirst are not a problem at all in the game.

rocketpunch

Dec 19, 2017
this game looks pretty intriguing, but first-person is a big turn-off for me. they almost always give me motion sickness. is first-person the only way of playing it?

Yes, first person only. The game lets you increase field of view which always helps me with mitigating motion sickness. You're also not doing as much turning as you would in something like Prey or Dishonored.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I've really been enjoying it - I had bought it during that big Humble bundle last year but decided to wait to really dig in until final release.

I then wanted to wait until my 21:9 monitor was delivered as I can imagine the game really benefiting from a huge view, but then I went and spent ~12 hours the past few days anyway. I love the feel of it, it nails the isolation and the drip-feed of the story elements (I strongly recommend anyone avoid spoilers or walkthroughs or tips of any kind) and the world feels dangerous no matter what manner of creature or element you might encounter.

About my only complaint is what seems to be the RNG element of scrap parts, as I'm still missing a number of blueprints for items that seem like I should already have. And I have had the game bug out on me and lost a fully upgraded Seamoth as a result, but I don't mind too much.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've really been enjoying it - I had bought it during that big Humble bundle last year but decided to wait to really dig in until final release.

I then wanted to wait until my 21:9 monitor was delivered as I can imagine the game really benefiting from a huge view, but then I went and spent ~12 hours the past few days anyway. I love the feel of it, it nails the isolation and the drip-feed of the story elements (I strongly recommend anyone avoid spoilers or walkthroughs or tips of any kind) and the world feels dangerous no matter what manner of creature or element you might encounter.

About my only complaint is what seems to be the RNG element of scrap parts, as I'm still missing a number of blueprints for items that seem like I should already have. And I have had the game bug out on me and lost a fully upgraded Seamoth as a result, but I don't mind too much.

I feel like the same thing is happening to me. Can't find blueprints to save my life.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
shame the sound designers racist

Mod edit: While this is certainly worthy of attention, it does not appear to be a case where a developer's politics are central to and inseparable from the content of the game (as with The Last Night). As such, a separate thread should be created to discuss the controversy and bring appropriate attention to it. Please reserve this thread for discussion about the game itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like the same thing is happening to me. Can't find blueprints to save my life.

I've done two runs so far (decided to restart at one point after I figured out more about the game). My first run I didn't even know the Scanner's use so I didn't use it, but figured it out the second run. There are some structured locations the blueprint stuff will always be at, but some is randomized. They give you more than you need, but I have had some good luck with some scan stuff, not as much with some others. You can get quite a few scan things near the Aurora as it both has structured 'always there' elements and high chance of some random, but there's some risk/reward stuff going on there...

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
3 hours in...still only got the Craft and build no home or anything yet...but I love exploring and hopefully someday I'll build a home!

It's a very relaxing game as someone who loves water.

I didn't even know where those 3 hours went! I literally felt like I only started the game...maybe I suck at it haha.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
First time going over 500m deep. Palms sweating.

It's an incredible accomplishment.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

That is unfortunate. Though I do think as games are handed off between a lot of different people many probably have been worked on with people with bigoted views. I guess less bothered because they had no hand with the content of the actual game design, concept, and seem like they were one of the outside hires not even part of the main team looking a bit more into this.

Not fun of course and I can understand if people feel one way or another, it's good this stuff comes to light. I also think how many other games people play which had one member of staff with biggoted views they don't know about, and it'd be fun to have that exposed. At the same time I guess for me personally as it's literally not reflected in any way within the game itself (and why would it be, it's not like this person was behind the design of the game), it is what it is and hope they get their comings.

I guess for me I just figure the game is not an extension of this person, and this person should be punished rather than the game. This isn't even a case of separating art from the artist, as this person wasn't any sort of lead or designer on the project or made any decisions for it, so hold the person responsible, not the game. Its also noted this all came out around release, so the team very well may not have known especially since the person isn't part of the core team's office and sent work over online digging a bit more into it.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I suck at these type of games. I feel like i'm just wasting time gathering shit i don't need, inventory gets full, i did not pick or find what i should have.... now it says the ship will blow up even more and devastate the area with radioactivity, did i already fuck it up? I tried going to the ship, soon as i stepped on the floor, freaking crabs/spiders killed me in seconds..

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is unfortunate. Though I do think as games are handed off between a lot of different people many probably have been worked on with people with bigoted views. I guess less bothered because they had no hand with the content of the actual game design, concept, and seem like they were one of the outside hires not even part of the main team looking a bit more into this.

Not fun of course and I can understand if people feel one way or another, it's good this stuff comes to light. I also think how many other games people play which had one member of staff with biggoted views they don't know about, and it'd be fun to have that exposed. At the same time I guess for me personally as it's literally not reflected in any way within the game itself (and why would it be, it's not like this person was behind the design of the game), it is what it is and hope they get their comings.

I guess for me I just figure the game is not an extension of this person, and this person should be punished rather than the game, which is quite good. This isn't even a case of separating art from the artist, as this person wasn't any sort of lead or designer on the project, so hold the person responsible, not the game.
I'd normally be able to ignore it if its a small part, but the rest of the dev team not saying anything to decry them over it is a big red flag I don't like.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played it since full release but I got deep into it when it was in early access and it really is something special. One of the few times I've truly felt fully immersed in a game and also one of the few that succeeds at being scary as hell.

I probably have to restart my game though cause I know they removed the terrain deformation and all my structures were built into the terrain.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just found out what the Grav Trap does!

Makes fishing for food so much easier!

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I suck at these type of games. I feel like i'm just wasting time gathering shit i don't need, inventory gets full, i did not pick or find what i should have.... now it says the ship will blow up even more and devastate the area with radioactivity, did i already fuck it up? I tried going to the ship, soon as i stepped on the floor, freaking crabs/spiders killed me in seconds..

You can drop things easily by right clicking on them in your inventory. The game also saves where you drop things, so you can make a temporary solution like stuffing the items in a cave or something and coming back for them when you need them.

Though be weary, some fishies like shiny things and will pick them up and drag them about.

And don't worry about the ship blowing up.

It's a story event that happens after a period of time, though it does unnerve the first time and make you uncertain.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Bringing up rightfully disgusting things a creator says and endorses is not "that crap". It's best to actually tell people this is happening than blindly ignore it.

That was definitely a drive by shit post, sorry. It adds nothing to the topic of the thread.

If he wants to talk about racist devs, he should start his own thread about it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, made a thread a few days ago about how Subnautica cracks the hardest barrier of the genre
The dreaded "survival game" gets a bad rap, IMO. No doubt it's a sub genre with a lot of poorly done games within, but at its core, the concept is a compelling one. Minecraft set the template, but it's a game that has grown far beyond the typical entry to the genre. At its core, the genre is one of scavenging and management, man vs nature abstracted.

Except the wide open possibilities and the Minecraft foundation means it's also a genre where things can go very wrong, where ambitions and features can bloat and never coalesce in a satisfying manner. We've seen it happen myriad times; it's no surprise that the survival game is practically the synonymous with "endless early access".

There are exceptions though, the main ones being Subnautica and The Long Dark

One of the main reasons Subnautica works so well is that it's not just Survival™. It's a survival scenario, a very specific scenario that allows the game to focus around and realize. This allows the mechanics and regions and crafting and everything else to be designed to suit that one particular concept. Whereas other survival games feel loose and aimless, Subnautica presents you with cyclic progression, where you want to go deeper and explore more, and exploring more and going deeper let you improve and reward doing so. The handcrafted world allows a carefully scaled and designed environment and adds something most survival games don't have: verticality. Or rather reverse verticality aka depth, in that the downward layered world really elevates the sense of exploration. The downward design also provides you with an instantly understandable and ever-present goal. To go down, to go deeper. Even if you don't know where to go next, what to craft next, you always have that guiding principle to focus on.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a legit great game. No contest.

But man.. it's really old news too. I have been playing it on and off for more than 2 years at this point, and playing the final release now, it still is great, but as amazing as it is it lacks a "something" to make it a real modern classic.
Multiplayer?
More (much) subs/ base types?
Procedural maps / Content?
Advanced Deformation tool back?

Not sure.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's a legit great game. No contest.

But man.. it's really old news too. I have been playing it on and off for more than 2 years at this point, and playing the final release now, it still is great, but as amazing as it is it lacks a "something" to make it a real modern classic.
Multiplayer?
More (much) subs/ base types?
Procedural maps / Content?
Advanced Deformation tool back?

Not sure.
Besides more sub/base types, what would those add to the game? How would they make the game better?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was definitely a drive by shit post, sorry. It adds nothing to the topic of the thread.

If he wants to talk about racist devs, he should start his own thread about it.
No, he shouldn't. He was stating why he wasn't playing it. You trying to make people think otherwise is more of a shit post lol

Nobody came in here yelling "Don't play that game!!!", we said we didn't want to despite being interested because a dev said something really gross.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The game is also mind-blowing in VR.

Yep. I played this in VR since a couple of days and its really really great. Then today I tried it out in Non-VR and sadly its a step back. The scale is lost totally.

The huge wreck that looks like 30-40m in VR? Looks like 5m in Non-VR.
The Leviathan that looks like it could swallow a neighborhood in VR? Tiny in Non-VR.
Also the atmosphere in VR is so great. Just diving to 900m, hearing some roar, see that shape coming closer and closer.

I somehow think it really is better in VR.

One thing about the game I dont like is the base building though. There is not enough to build. I mean if you want to be creative, its okay, but there you dont actually need to. I have almost everything now and only used 3 bigger rooms (besides the Moondock and the scanner room).

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
First time hearing about that game, I might check this out.
EDIT : nevermind, looks like there is something shady.

Last edited:

Rowlf

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

While this is certainly worthy of discussion, it does not appear to be a case where a developer's politics are central to and inseparable from the content of the game (as with The Last Night). As such, a separate thread should be created to discuss the controversy and bring appropriate attention to it. Please reserve this thread for discussion about the game itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Besides more sub/base types, what would those add to the game? How would they make the game better?

While I obviously am loving the game, I know a few mechanics were cut/put off to focus on other key factors, like a DNA system and terraforming/destructible cliffsides/rocks and such. To see if this stuff comes forth since the devs have said while for now they'll be focused on fixing issues found and prepping the console versions, down the line they may do DLC for biomes, 80-90% chance they will, and know they want to do an arctic biome expansion that'll bring some new tools and stuff, but it's just concept right now.

Yep. I played this in VR since a couple of days and its really really great. Then today I tried it out in Non-VR and sadly its a step back. The scale is lost totally.

The huge wreck that looks like 30-40m in VR? Looks like 5m in Non-VR.
The Leviathan that looks like it could swallow a neighborhood in VR? Tiny in Non-VR.
Also the atmosphere in VR is so great. Just diving to 900m, hearing some roar, see that shape coming closer and closer.

I somehow think it really is better in VR.

One thing about the game I dont like is the base building though. There is not enough to build. I mean if you want to be creative, its okay, but there you dont actually need to. I have almost everything now and only used 3 bigger rooms (besides the Moondock and the scanner room).

Weird question, bot would FOV help at all with the scaling thing? I do understand the rest despite not having played this game in VR, but it reminds me a bit of RE7 in that regard.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
The only thing that has been putting me off from buying the game is the thoght of crafting and grinding materials. I'd like to hear you opinion about that matter OP.