• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah I've been bummed about below zero since I finished the first game and read about this one on reddit. Just doesn't seem to be what I liked about subnautica.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Subnautica and picked up this one at the start of the year before the price increase. I've held off on playing it until it leaves early access so it's nice to finally have a release date.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
I've been playing through the Early Access a few times now, and absolutely love this. It doesn't quite have the magic that the original had, but the new area is a lot of fun and I've enjoyed the heavier emphasis on the story. If you really enjoyed the original, you'll probably like this one too.

And the new music is great. I'm enjoying Prunty's soundtrack for this even more than the original's. Really looking forward to the full release of it closer to launch.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's basically underwater No Man's Sky on a single planet with a ginormous ocean. Below Zero has a lot of surface/land stuff too.

My kid has been in the the Early Access for over a year. It's a solid game. Base building as well.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Calling me a liar? Think that's a bit extreme.
Just read any forum for yourself, they all list the same multitude of complaints and it's been that way for the past year.

Sorry but the game is awful. I've played the latest four EA releases hoping it would improve but its only gotten worse

here is a post that shows the current thoughts of the community. 93 positive reviews from people that probably didn't even play the latest versions is meaningless https://steamcommunity.com/app/848450/discussions/0/3113645835786272112/
I'm not going to butt into a fight with people personally attacking each other but in general it's pretty bad form to try to use anecdotes from a forum to counter objective data.

There are few Steam Communities that are anything but toxic. I also don't really care about the thread you linked to from "Longdick Johnson" posting toxic and unproductive feedback. If that's your compelling argument that I don't think you're making as strong an argument as you think you're making.

The objective fact is that Subnautica Below Zero has a "Very Positive" rating both recently and across all time. That's across tens of thousands of reviews, and that's not an easy thing to achieve especially for an early access product.

Furthermore, this positive reception has held up throughout time, so I'm not really sure why you're focusing on "93" people:

C5qpoSZ.png

I'm sorry if you're not enjoying the game as much as the vast majority of other people, but in general it looks like this game is getting immensely positive feedback and I absolutely can't wait to check it out.

Deleted member 90386

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 21, 2021
I'm not going to butt into a fight with people personally attacking each other but in general it's pretty bad form to try to use anecdotes from a forum to counter objective data.

There are few Steam Communities that are anything but toxic. I also don't really care about the thread you linked to from "Longdick Johnson" posting toxic and unproductive feedback. If that's your compelling argument that I don't think you're making as strong an argument as you think you're making.

The objective fact is that Subnautica Below Zero has a "Very Positive" rating both recently and across all time. That's across tens of thousands of reviews, and that's not an easy thing to achieve especially for an early access product.

Furthermore, this positive reception has held up throughout time, so I'm not really sure why you're focusing on "93" people:

C5qpoSZ.png

I'm sorry if you're not enjoying the game as much as the vast majority of other people, but in general it looks like this game is getting immensely positive feedback and I absolutely can't wait to check it out.

Great enjoy you simplified SN1 targeted to kids for that sweet switch deal.

again, just look at the forums and you will see the current mentality is not favorable, to say the least. Can't believe you wasted so much time with your reply defending a game you haven't even played, great job.

and calling something toxic is like the most basic defense in this commmunity, see above where someone called the dev a neonazi for no reason. Sorry the username offended you, guess it's not very PR but that doesn't invalidate their opinion

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Still in the middle of Subnautica, I got the Cyclop a few hours ago and man, that ship is really something. It feels like a home away from home, I'm loving it.

I'm working my way thru some upgrades that will allow me to go deeper safely. You feel incredibly vulnerable in this game, it's really oppressing :p

Below Zero seem to be the kind of spin-off that will feel good after I finished the original game. Can't wait.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I know it is against what some of you consider as the fun in Subnautica, but I think that I will opt for the "no pressure" mode that I heard existed (I think it's called Freedom Mode?)

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I know it is against what some of you consider as the fun in Subnautica, but I think that I will opt for the "no pressure" mode that I heard existed (I think it's called Freedom Mode?)
Played the game that way as well and enjoyed it way more than having to drink or eat every couple of seconds, which added absolutely nothing to the experience for me. No shame in playing the way you want to play.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
Considering the sad state Subnautica is on base PS4 is (the game crashed 22 times while I beat the game) and also at the end part, where it was hard to catch the bugs it was so buggy it was really hard to play and enjoy the game, and the game is out for a while now. I would suggest people be cautious at launch on consoles, at least on base PS4.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
the first game is an amazing survival game, and I don't like survival games. great exploration, freedom, and terror lol

however this sequel (doesn't feel like one) is way too story-driven and very on the rails relative to the first. the first just put you crashed into the water, and you played the game and discovered the breadcrumbs while playing naturally. there's also way too much forced land activity in a game that's supposed to be about underwater exploration. really don't like that.

really haven't enjoyed the few hours I put into the EA version, will see how it is with full release. but generally haven't enjoyed it near as much as the first game.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017

again, just look at the forums and you will see the current mentality is not favorable, to say the least. Can't believe you wasted so much time with your reply defending a game you haven't even played, great job.

and calling something toxic is like the most basic defense in this commmunity, see above where someone called the dev a neonazi for no reason. Sorry the username offended you, guess it's not very PR but that doesn't invalidate their opinion

You may have some legitimate points about the game (I don't know I haven't played it yet) but your condescension here actively makes me not want to take you seriously.

And the sound designer being a neo-nazi is not out of bounds - dude would fit right in with them, with his attack helicopter shit and 3rd world crime dreck and countless other examples - what's more surprising is you're trying to deflect and say he isn't one. You seem pretty clued in on the dev situation with the Lead Programmer and everything, so you most likely knew about Chylinski's comments and either thought they were acceptable or just trolling, and neither stance here is the right one.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering if I should play the early access version, but if the full release is this close, I'll wait.

docannon

Oct 28, 2017
Considering the sad state Subnautica is on base PS4 is (the game crashed 22 times while I beat the game) and also at the end part, where it was hard to catch the bugs it was so buggy it was really hard to play and enjoy the game, and the game is out for a while now. I would suggest people be cautious at launch on consoles, at least on base PS4.
I can confirm that the experience on an Xbox One S can be ROUGH at times. And I'm not someone that is usually bothered by that stuff.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but what does that even mean?

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Noice! Any word on if there will be a price increase on launch or am I could to wait for that eventual sale?

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up the day before the price increased back in January but couldn't wait to try it. Like it a lot so far - normally I'm against removing offensive options from the player but I like the approach in this one. Sure you can't stasis lock and stab a leviathan to death but you're also not being attacked nearly as much. My biggest problem with Subnautica was how annoying it was to be constantly dealing with aggressive enemies (like those teleporting things). Was never hard...just irritating. Have not had the same issue with Below Zero.

Despite enjoying the game I put it down because I started to approach what seemed like the end of the story stuff, and wanted to save that for the full release. But wasn't expecting it to take so long, honestly. Was hoping it would be my March game while waiting for Guilty Gear.

I haven't paid much attention to the fan response because the one time I looked at their official forums the first post I saw was someone asking for a refund because they fired a racist and put a black person in the game.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Sure you can't stasis lock and stab a leviathan to death but you're also not being attacked nearly as much.
I always thought that went against the spirit of the game anyway. Not that the Stasis Rifle made things "too easy", but it's such a one-dimensional way of dealing with leviathans, which seems at odds with the themes of the game.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

🤡

Seriously though thanks for making it even easier than it already was to spot your opinion on it is meaningless

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
Do we know if Below Zero has a more interesting endgame? My one gripe with Subnautica was near the end it was pretty much was just a straight shot to the end with not much else to do, unless you wanted to make prettier bases.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

lmao you're gonna last a long time here, i can tell

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
TBH in the original I got annoyed by the food and water meters as I felt they were too demanding too quickly, and I had to spend a ton of time making food/drinks when I wanted to explore.

If they had meters that maybe didn't deplete as fast, it might still be fun, but I just turned them off.

Deleted member 90386

Banned
Jan 21, 2021
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing Other Members
lmao you're gonna last a long time here, i can tell

yeah my thoughts exactly
I always thought that went against the spirit of the game anyway. Not that the Stasis Rifle made things "too easy", but it's such a one-dimensional way of dealing with leviathans, which seems at odds with the themes of the game.
That was my thought entirely until I played the game. MOD EDIT: DON'T POST UNMARKED SPOILERS

violence bad, but terrorism cool according to the devs

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 90386

Banned
Jan 21, 2021
Well this is the last place I expected to see the classic "nintendo games are for kids!! D:<" thrown into an argument lol

but It is for kids?The original was targeted for older gamers, and the change in demographic directly translates to simplified gameplay, making it feel like a dumbed down version of the original

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Did you just fucking spoil a part of the game?
Glad I put him on the ignore list yesterday, wow randomly spoiling stuff out of spite isn't cool.

Anyway, Subnautica was really special to me. I remember playing countless hours of it right after my kid was born and my wife and I were taking shifts looking after him. Up at 3AM, exploring the deep oceans, so amazing. I've been following Below Zero closely but wanted to wait for the final release + availability on consoles.

I'm excited that it has a really positive reception on Steam in Early Access, and can't wait to see how the final game shapes up!