• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Guess the Early Access period is ending, as the game got a full trailer with platform announcements:

Melmer

Sep 18, 2020
UK
Fantastic! I'll be getting this on PS5. Those graphics look a lot nicer than the original which is a nice surprise

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Was bummed about the recent price increase as I'd been meaning to purchase this in preparation for the 1.0 release. Still, this is a Day 1 purchase for me.

I'd love to see what folks on Era who've managed to play it so far think of it.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
nice.
- is this an expension or a full game ?
- do you know if playing the first is a requirement ? i didnt finish it
- does it feature any type of multiplayer or 100% single player ?

PolishQ

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, NY
Interesting that the Switch release is both games bundled together, but the other platforms appear to be Below Zero only. Do we know if the original game is getting an official PS5 version?

Albin

Jun 29, 2018
A bit dissapointed that they didn't do proper VR for this one, as the first one was amazing in VR, despite all flaws and being kinda half-assed.

Hopefully modders will pick up the torch, because playing this flat feels like a step down.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
LOVED the first one and constantly debate buying this on Steam. I'm just waiting for it to go on sale (will it ever go on sale?).

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nice.
- is this an expension or a full game ?
- do you know if playing the first is a requirement ? i didnt finish it
- does it feature any type of multiplayer or 100% single player ?

It's basically a sequel, but since it is exploring different types of stuff (more narrative, more land) they didn't want to put the 2 in the title in case they decide to do a more traditional subnautica 2.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to GamePass I played Subnautica late last year. What I thought was a simple survival game at first turned into something that was completly more awesome than expected. It had a great story, atmosphere and the music is outstanding. It was my GOTY last year. I cannot wait for the sequel to hit Xbox. I'll be purchasing BZ immediately!

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Looks fun, but I'm not seeing any upgrades in visuals you guys seem to be seeing. And I've played the first one on PS4 recently too. It already looked pretty great to me personally, so this isn't a big deal.

I'm more interested in whether or not they've revamped some of the core systems to be a little less tedious, and to be more intuitive- especially when you haven't played in a while and need to know what you're "supposed to" do next.

AstoundingFox

Oct 26, 2017
Oh heck yea! I can't wait to play this baby. I beat Subnautica twice. One of my favorite survival games of all time.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Has there been any word on a PS5/Series-upgrade for the original console game? I loved my time with it but stopped playing because the pop-in became too distracting

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Really curious to see how this will run on the Switch. Panic Button rarely disappoints though so hoping for the best. Portable Subnautica sounds awesome.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
Has there been any word on a PS5/Series-upgrade for the original console game? I loved my time with it but stopped playing because the pop-in became too distracting

I recently replayed the game start to finish on Series X and the performance was sooo much better. Pop in was pretty bad previously, it's still not great but it's better.

can't wait for this! Day 1 for me

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Finally!!! :D

I've been holding off playing the early access because I wanted to wait for the full release so it's great to finally have a date.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be amazing. I really like how they seem to have leaned into the narrative driven nature of it, it's an interesting pairing with the survival framework. Having an actual "ending" was pretty much the whole reason I played the original Subnautica. I have zero motivation for self-driven / "endless" survival games like Rust or whatever, where you just play until you die.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty hype might day one it, was surprised I liked the first one so much.

I heared there is a PS5 version of the original in the works has there been any news on that?

May 22, 2018
I just got the platinum for the original on Sunday. Is this worth a purchase? Like is there enough new content to warrant paying to dive back in so soon?

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
In for the Switch version, just wonder if in the eshop it is is both games together as well.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they make any last minute changes to the sea truck - I remember that being a source of some contention in earlier builds with how long the train of trailers could get (and thus how awkward manuevering in caves could be), and how slow it made the truck feel unless you spent busy work time un- and re-attaching it.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great! I loved og Subnautica (one of my favs last gen) but I have been avoiding the EA of Below Zero like the plague simply to experience the finished game with a fresh eye, which is something I bitterly regretted not being able to do with og Subnautica, having spent literal years with the game at that point.
May cannot come fast enough!

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
A bit dissapointed that they didn't do proper VR for this one, as the first one was amazing in VR, despite all flaws and being kinda half-assed.

Hopefully modders will pick up the torch, because playing this flat feels like a step down.
Yup. But I understand it, the VR playerbase is still small potatoes and not much of a priority.

OP
OP
Akai

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised as to why they don't have a blog post ready. Seems like something that you'd do for an announcement.

Maybe it will go up soon?

Great! I loved og Subnautica (one of my favs last gen) but I have been avoiding the EA of Below Zero like the plague simply to experience the finished game with a fresh eye, which is something I bitterly regretted not being able to do with og Subnautica, having spent literal years with the game at that point.
May cannot come fast enough!

Same here. Been avoiding all of the Early Access stuff and I also haven't watched the trailer, because I want to go in with as little information as possible.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks to GamePass I played Subnautica late last year. What I thought was a simple survival game at first turned into something that was completly more awesome than expected. It had a great story, atmosphere and the music is outstanding. It was my GOTY last year. I cannot wait for the sequel to hit Xbox. I'll be purchasing BZ immediately!

Subnautica is an amazing game. I bet a lot of people missed out thinking it was just another survival game.

I just got the platinum for the original on Sunday. Is this worth a purchase? Like is there enough new content to warrant paying to dive back in so soon?

This is a completely new game, not just a DLC for the original.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I finished a full playthrough of Subnautica this month, it was an absolutely wonderful game.

I'll be buying Subnautica Below Zero on Steam as soon as it's out of early access. I'm expecting it to be great.

Deleted member 90386

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 21, 2021
I wanted to like this game, the first one was one of my favorite titles ever.

Not sure why they changed their motto from "go deeper" to "go explore this empty wasteland where you can't see anything 95% of the time due to the weather mechanics". They copy and pasted the entire tech tree except deleted the cyclops and sea moth because the map is too small and shallow for them. They also blocked some tech like the depth modules for the prawn and the status rifle because reasons.

The game is no longer scary or challenging.

The story, after three rewrites, seems like something they came up because they were tired of trying. It's seriously terrible, but that's what happens when you fire the majority of the staff from the original.

Seriously the top discussion on the steam forums is "this game is ass" and basically 90% of people agreed.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas

Not sure why they changed their motto from "go deeper" to "go explore this empty wasteland where you can't see anything 95% of the time due to the weather mechanics". They copy and pasted the entire tech tree except deleted the cyclops and sea moth because the map is too small and shallow for them. They also blocked some tech like the depth modules for the prawn and the status rifle because reasons.

The story, after three rewrites, seems like something they came up because they were tired of trying. It's seriously terrible, but that's what happens when you fire the majority of the staff from the original.

Seriously the top discussion on the steam forums is "this game is ass" and basically 90% of people agreed.

Oof, that's unfortunate. I thought this would be a day 1 purchase since I loved the first game, but maybe not.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Ok, wow. That's a very sobering review. Guess I'll wait to see what the reviews of the final release look like before buying.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
The original is one of my favourites, approaching even Metroid Prime at points. I can't wait for th-

EaaHUWF.jpg

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Fuuuuck yes! The first game was amazing. Can't wait to play this on PS5. Day one for sure. I have been avoiding anything related to early access content this entire time so I can go in fresh. Very excited, looks amazing.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Liar

93 positive reviews

44cab509_o.png
\
But keep believing your review matters more then 30, 000 peoples.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It should also be noted the person who was fired that poster is likely talking about was the Neo Nazi sound designer who was a known gamer gator. So again, awful post.

Deleted member 90386

Banned
Jan 21, 2021
Liar

93 positive reviews

44cab509_o.png
\
But keep believing your review matters more then 30, 000 peoples.

Calling me a liar? Think that's a bit extreme.
Just read any forum for yourself, they all list the same multitude of complaints and it's been that way for the past year.

Sorry but the game is awful. I've played the latest four EA releases hoping it would improve but its only gotten worse

here is a post that shows the current thoughts of the community. 93 positive reviews from people that probably didn't even play the latest versions is meaningless https://steamcommunity.com/app/848450/discussions/0/3113645835786272112/

Deleted member 90386

Banned
Jan 21, 2021
It should also be noted the person who was fired that poster is likely talking about was the Neo Nazi sound designer who was a known gamer gator. So again, awful post.
No. they lost the lead programmer from the first game which is why they are struggling so badly with this game. I mean they couldn't even figure out how to implement reverse camera on the sea truck so they scrapped that mechanic entirely. The cyclops had like three cameras, but the new staff just couldn't figure it out. This applies to many other scrapped mechanics too besides the reverse cams

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
The first one was something that I will always remember. It was scary af but it was so special. I've played early access builds of this one, didn't dislike but it was a lot lighter in tone and lost a bit of the atmosphere that made the first one so good.