• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I might as well start a new game on PS4, I recently reinstalled windows and didn't realise that Subnautica and Dark Souls 3 don't have Steam Cloud support so I lost 33 hours of saves.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Is this a good game? Isn't it annoying having a whole game underwater considering underwater levels in other games are usually the worst ones?
It's not good, it's excellent. As opposed to the other games, Subnautica is designed with underwater movement and exploration in mind, so it doesn't feel clumsy, tedious or look empty at all (plus you can craft different vehicles that make traversal much easier/more comfortable). It's a fully realized world that just happens to be underwater, different biomes, wildlife, resources, structures, secrets to uncover and so on.
Also, without telling too much, you're not underwater throughout the whole game.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Easily one of my all time favorite survival games. The game is so stupidly nice looking too. Though I will admit that by the end I got a bit impatient and used command console to spawn myself the materials needed to make the last few bits of the end game stuff. Like, I know where to get it all, just kinda got tired of running (swimming) back and forth to get the items.
For those who liked Subnautica, Breathedge is shaping up quite well, grabbed that on early access and beat the first chapter, there isn't a ton of meat to it yet, but it's surprisingly polished for an early access game.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 what subnautica is? Im kinda interested.

You crash with a giant spaceship on an ocean planet, that is a hand made map (its a fixed level design, not a procedural shit thing) with only random spawn of resources according to different biomes.

You are trying to make it, find other survivors, gear, and resources to push your chances of survival. There is a story as you explore and unravel the mysteries of the ocean and the secret laying deep, in the dark and unfriendly abyss...

You have manage your oxygen as you swim, build a base and vehicules to travel further, faster, deeper...

But be careful at what lurks below... Subnautica is a beautiful world but don't get lost in caves and run out of oxygen. Also, be wary, not everything is friendly down there... Some monster lurks these waters. You dive, look for resources, craft new gear, find the next point of interest, get a new blueprint, craft new things, try them out... There are different way to play the game, one having to manage hunger, thirst and life, just life, or exploration mode. It's up to your preferred experience.

It's a game rewarding your sens of balance of risk reward in exploration. It's also, very much like a souls game, an experience rewarding the player that tried to remember level design. I highly suggest mapping a lot of biome with hand written beacon to make travel and point of interest easier as there is no in game map. It's probably the game that made me feel the most rewarded as a player for the investment I made into it. The sens of discovery and you dive deeper and deeper is unmatched.

There is a story, and a real end to it. A very satisfying one I might add. It's my favorite thing about this game, it's not just an endless aimless sandbox of gathering crafting.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
It's not good, it's excellent. As opposed to the other games, Subnautica is designed with underwater movement and exploration in mind, so it doesn't feel clumsy, tedious or look empty at all (plus you can craft different vehicles that make traversal much easier/more comfortable). It's a fully realized world that just happens to be underwater, different biomes, wildlife, resources, structures, secrets to uncover and so on.
Also, without telling too much, you're not underwater throughout the whole game.
So it's like minecraft but in water? Sounds good though.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
You crash with a giant spaceship on an ocean planet, that is a hand made map (its a fixed level design, not a procedural shit thing) with only random spawn of resources according to different biomes.

You are trying to make it, find other survivors, gear, and resources to push your chances of survival. There is a story as you explore and unravel the mysteries of the ocean and the secret laying deep, in the dark and unfriendly abyss...

You have manage your oxygen as you swim, build a base and vehicules to travel further, faster, deeper...

But be careful at what lurks below... Subnautica is a beautiful world but don't get lost in caves and run out of oxygen. Also, be wary, not everything is friendly down there... Some monster lurks these waters. You dive, look for resources, craft new gear, find the next point of interest, get a new blueprint, craft new things, try them out... There are different way to play the game, one having to manage hunger, thirst and life, just life, or exploration mode. It's up to your preferred experience.

It's a game rewarding your sens of balance of risk reward in exploration. It's also, very much like a souls game, an experience rewarding the player that tried to remember level design. I highly suggest mapping a lot of biome with hand written beacon to make travel and point of interest easier as there is no in game map. It's probably the game that made me feel the most rewarded as a player for the investment I made into it. The sens of discovery and you dive deeper and deeper is unmatched.

There is a story, and a real end to it. A very satisfying one I might add. It's my favorite thing about this game, it's not just an endless aimless sandbox of gathering crafting.
Okay what this sounds amazing

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
This game is probably in my top 5 for games that I wish I could wipe from memory to play for the first time again. The arctic expansion/sequel is one of my most anticipated games right now, just to get a new map to explore

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This game is probably in my top 5 for games that I wish I could wipe from memory to play for the first time again. The arctic expansion/sequel is one of my most anticipated games right now, just to get a new map to explore
Couldn't agree more. Such a unique, and special experience. One of my favorites of the generation.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i'm nervous about how well this will run - i hope they reduce the pop-in and the frame rate isn't ass.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Subnautica is the best survival game of its kind and I'm real glad I'm not the only one here who feels that way.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Great game. Also you can play it in VR on PC. The sense of diving deeper and deeper is pretty spooky.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
Panic Button did the port right? If so I trust this game will run well.

Sad that it is not up for pre-order on PSN yet though...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Because NMS is not good.

NMS ist amazing since the NEXT update (relaunch) and got even better with the 2 DLC big updates after that.

So yeah, these postings about NMS in a time after NEXT are pretty dumb.

_____

Topic, do we know if there will be a price change from early access to release on Xbox? Should I buy it before it goes out of EA?

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
Welp for some reason this is not comming out in my country today. No new date given so that sucks...

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know this game was well received. Saw it had VR (no motion controls tho) and it looked cool, but it gave me ARK vibes and I'm not to up on that game. Seems it's not like that though and actually has a goal. Hm.... now on my radar for the Winter sale! Now I have like 5 or so VR games I want.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is there going to be a patch for people who already own it? Bought the game on Xbox and it looked like hot garbage.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know this game was well received. Saw it had VR (no motion controls tho) and it looked cool, but it gave me ARK vibes and I'm not to up on that game. Seems it's not like that though and actually has a goal. Hm.... now on my radar for the Winter sale! Now I have like 5 or so VR games I want.

You are in for a treat. It's an incredible game. I have never felt so immersed in a world. (No pun intended) and the gameplay loop is incredibly rewarding.

I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend it in VR though. It's gorgeous in VR, but several UI elements are handled in really annoying/painful ways. The crafting menu is placed about 5 inches in front of your face, making it actually painful to use, which kind of breaks the game. There's also one tool that obscures your vision nearly entirely in VR for some reason.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For those curious, here's a video of the Safe Shallows dynamic theme we created with UW. One of the nicer 'aquarium' style themes we've ever made, with a cool twist...

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
Yes? I wanted to know if it was like NMS, but good. Because NMS is not good. The quote wasn't to dig NMS, I really don't care either way, it was to question if this was a similar experience, but not bad. Because if so, I want to play it. And luckily, that appears to be the case, so I'm going to play it.
No Man's Sky is amazing now.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
People are discussing the game here instead of the OT? Strange.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Not played much, but it's pretty, controls really well, and it's fun so far.

Fucking lead, where the fuck is the lead at? FUCK

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
People are discussing the game here instead of the OT? Strange.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Not played much, but it's pretty, controls really well, and it's fun so far.

Fucking lead, where the fuck is the lead at? FUCK
Look for those rocks that are usually sand colored, and circular or ovular shaped that you have to hit a few times, and drop some resources. Lead can potentially be at those. I remember being able to find those in the red meadow area, and if you go down from there to where all the coral is and you start seeing Ghostrays, there's some there too.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
So anyone bought it yet for PS4 pro? Will buy it later tonight. Hopefully the performance is alright.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 what subnautica is? Im kinda interested.

You are stranded in an ocean, need to find food, drinkable water, and ultimately collect useable items to craft personal vehicles and subs so you can get deeper and deeper into the ocean to find the key to getting off the planet.

The atmosphere and smooth and natural form of gameplay are what set this so far above any other crafting game to me. And making underwater bases is somehow far cooler than making above water bases. Game is amazing, get it so they have enough money to fully implement VR for me pls.

Yes? I wanted to know if it was like NMS, but good. Because NMS is not good. The quote wasn't to dig NMS, I really don't care either way, it was to question if this was a similar experience, but not bad. Because if so, I want to play it. And luckily, that appears to be the case, so I'm going to play it.

It's similar in that you craft things, but similarities end there. The whole world is hand crafted, so it doesn't feel like a copy paste of similar environments with subtle changes. The crafting is more engaging and there is no grind like in NMS. You simply need to explore to find what you need, not collect a thousand of something to upgrade a piece so you can continue down that same path again and again. It's just far more captivating. Smaller world but bigger everything else.

Is this a good game? Isn't it annoying having a whole game underwater considering underwater levels in other games are usually the worst ones?

The game controls more like you are floating/flying around in space than a typical underwater slow swimming game. Obviously you can build ships, subs and other similar things to make that even faster/smoother.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
So I played it now on the PS4 pro for several hours. Took me a while but now I am fully into it.

The beginning is rough because there is basically no tutorial or any hand holding. I was hoping to at lead be told what to focus on first similar to no mans sky but nada. Also do they really expect players not to swim immediately to the crashed ship?

But after I figured out the initial steps by dying a lot, I just built now most of the initial equipment including the radiation suit. Looking forward to see where it takes me tomorrow.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
So I played it now on the PS4 pro for several hours. Took me a while but now I am fully into it.

The beginning is rough because there is basically no tutorial or any hand holding. I was hoping to at lead be told what to focus on first similar to no mans sky but nada. Also do they really expect players not to swim immediately to the crashed ship?

But after I figured out the initial steps by dying a lot, I just built now most of the initial equipment including the radiation suit. Looking forward to see where it takes me tomorrow.

The game hold your hands very well the first hours by giving you short and clear objectives : craft this, do this, go there, find this...

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
The game hold your hands very well the first hours by giving you short and clear objectives : craft this, do this, go there, find this...
I am happy for you that everything was immediately clear to you. But it wasn't for me. Unlike No Mans Sky they don't tell you which thing to build first, so I was super aimless in the beginning. Also I took me forever to understand where I can get eg copper.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
SollefteĂĄ, Sweden
Swede here, I see Subnautica on the PS Store on the console, and there is a trailer there, but when I press Buy it just says "error: no content" :/ Anyone else getting this error?

Dec 10, 2018
I'm hearing a lot of bad things about the PS4 and Xbox ports (Saves being deleted, the game crashing, poor performance issues)

Wanted to pick it up but I'm wary now. Anyone having these issues?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Would buy day 1 if it had PS VR support
Yeah that kinda is my deal-breaker right now. But as far as I read the PC version is very demanding or not well optimized. So bad chances to see this in PSVR. But maybe on PS5. I will wait until I know more (like with several other games that have VR support on PC, but not on PS4).

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
We seriously need an Console OP for this amazing game. Man once you go past the slightly rough beginning where you don't know what to do, the game reaaaallly becomes fascinating.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I am still not able to find this game on the European/Swedish PSN store. Has it been pulled or is it blocked in certain EU countries?

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I'm interested but I wonder - is it... painful to play like No Man's Sky? Where I often find myself lacking some resources so I can't build something and I have to look for a long time etc. because some resources aren't even on every planet?

people

Oct 27, 2017
I am still not able to find this game on the European/Swedish PSN store. Has it been pulled or is it blocked in certain EU countries?

Unfortunately, the PlayStation Store is not presenting Subnautica in the following countries:

• Norway
  • Belgium
  • Netherlands
  • Denmark
  • Portugal
  • Turkey
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • UAE
  • Saudi Arabia
We were caught off-guard by this. We are traditionally a PC developer, and used to our games being released worldwide, without exception. We want Subnautica to be available on every country on Earth.

Unfortunately, we have run into a Sony restriction. If Subnautica's PlayStation Store page is not fully localised for a particular country's active language, they will not sell the game in that country.

Subnautica localised in many languages, but our PlayStation Store page is not fully localised in the countries above. We are racing to solve this problem, but our options for a short term fix are limited. Releasing updates to the PlayStation Store is a very involved process, and we may not be able to solve the problem until next year.

We apologise profusely and unreservedly to all of you affected by this problem. Many of you have waited patiently for Subautica on PlayStation and we are devastated that we have let you down.

We will update you as soon as we sort this out.

Source: (dec 7th/8th)

This is nothing new, although it seems to happen more frequently lately, involving more countries to be excluded from releasing on the 'European' PlayStation Store.