• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
Hj6siEb.jpg

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
"garbage" is hyperbolic. Actually this and Boat on the river is only ones I like from Styx

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
*insert obligatory Styx Sucks reference*

Though seriously, I never liked them at all. Mr .Roboto annoys me, not rage inducing but definitely turn off radio/device for awhile type of song.

Cargo Shorts

Oct 25, 2017
Don't blame Styx for Mr Roboto (or Babe, for that matter) blame Dennis DeYoung, who wanted to take the band in a more 'artistic theatrical' direction. The rest of the band liked the harder rock syuff. Styx eventually kicked him out of the band in the late 90's.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Don't blame Styx for Mr Roboto (or Babe, for that matter) blame Dennis DeYoung, who wanted to take the band in a more 'artistic theatrical' direction. The rest of the band liked the harder rock syuff. Styx eventually kicked him out of the band in the late 90's.

Tommy Shaw still plays Mr. Roboto on tour though. His bitch ass was also in Damn Yankees who put out lame music as well.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in the '80s. My Jr. High prom theme was Paradise Theater. I reflexively find myself singing along when a song plays on the radio. Tommy Shaw was a good guitarist. But, I cannot deny that Styx sucks. So does Kiss. They have a few good songs, but their albums are some of the worst-produced in rock.

I used to hate Steely Dan, but I recently took a dive into their catalog and I really like them now. Brilliant musicians, funky grooves and arcane lyrics. Still, they do have one of the dumbest lines ever. "Is there gas in the car?/Yes, there's gas in the car."

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I swore most of the band hated that bullshit too based on a behind the music I saw. Big reason why that one main guy left to do his own thing.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So many hot takes in this thread.

Mr. Roboto is a great song, catchy and memoraoble as hell with a trippy video.

It's like all those people that say these are terrible songs:

Yet all of them were huge hits that still get played on the radio to this day.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Despite being random, it's kinda cool and I've never hated it. Styx has a pretty good sound, even if they're not a band I'd listen to often.

OP
OP
Veliladon

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
So many hot takes in this thread.

Mr. Roboto is a great song, catchy and memoraoble as hell with a trippy video.

It's like all those people that say these are terrible songs:

Yet all of them were huge hits that still get played on the radio to this day.

But those are both terrible songs. Kokomo was Mike Love's trash fire with no writing involvement whatsoever from a Wilson and We Built This City was so desperate to appeal to everyone it couldn't decide whether it was Cincinnati, San Francisco or New York.

Kokomo especially because Brian Wilson was far, far, far, far, far, more talented than Mike Love and Mike Love knew it.

This is a god damn art form.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The song is amazing and rock snobbery will never not be funny

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
I like the album Kilroy Was Here, but Paradise Theater is better. Both are story albums, though, and the songs sometimes make more sense in that context than standalone.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
But those are both terrible songs. Kokomo was Mike Love's trash fire with no writing involvement whatsoever from a Wilson and We Built This City was so desperate to appeal to everyone it couldn't decide whether it was Cincinnati, San Francisco or New York.

Kokomo especially because Brian Wilson was far, far, far, far, far, more talented than Mike Love and Mike Love knew it.

This is a god damn art form.

I love the Beach Boys, legit like my favorite band growing up, but I never got the hate for Kokomo, especially when the retort is "but it's Mike Love not Brian."

What Mike did to Brian and the rest of them was terrible, but that doesn't automatically mean his songs are trash. Kokomo is a great song, it's catchy and it puts you right into the atmosphere of being on a tropical getaway. Is it as nuanced and deep as some of Brian's hits? No, but that doesn't discredit it from being a good song.

I mean Mike did write the lyrics for Good Vibrations, which was one of their best songs.

As far as We Built this City, the entire point was that it wasn't any specific city or town, it was just a simple catchy as hell tune that anyone could get into, and that led to it being a gigantic hit.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever even heard another Boston album, even though I love the first.
That said, "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" can safely be skipped, IMO.

Sure, it's the weakest tune on there, being penned by the lead singer. Still a rollicking slice of melodic country rock though. Their second album was a hastily made followup which sticks very close to the S/T's template but falls slightly short of it, while their third album didn't release until 1986 as a result of legal issues and consequently sounds 80s as fuck.

Scroll up the thread, Dishwalla posted probably the best track from their second album "Don't Look Back".

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
There are people out there who dislike this song. I don't want to live in this reality.