• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was listening to the Easy Allies podcast where Kyle reminisces about how cool he thought Bubsy 3D was when he was younger because it was the first game he got with his Playstation and I got to thinking about similar times I got excited about dumb video game things.

When I was 8 years old, I remember being a huge Pokemon fan and checking and refreshing the Pokemon Colosseum page on Nintendo's website. The Pokemon fever was out of control. However, it was still early 2003 so I needed something else Pokemon to tide me over until then. In comes Pokemon CHANNEL.

I remember begging my dad to buy it when it came out, explaining to him how cool it was that the game was like Hey You Pikachu, a game I rented when I was younger, but that you had a TV now and you could flick through all of these channels. For all the other video games he understood at some level why I would want them, whether it was Super Mario Sunshine or Melee, but this didn't make any sense at all. However, I remember the night he bought it. I was helping him bring stuff he bought from Wal-Mart inside, and when he opened the trunk in his hand he had a copy of Pokemon Channel.

I was so happy and immediately started playing it and...I loved it. Or at least, I forced myself to. I think I played all the way until the end of the Pichu Bros anime that I stopped playing. It was so tedious to do everything whether it was doing requests from different Pokemon, watching the shows all the way through, the mindless quizzes. I kept acting excited to play it, but I realized a while after when I was older I always knew in my heart it was a terrible game.

What's a video game thing that you guys loved as kids that you realize now was awful?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I remember how excited I was to get a Dex Drive for my Playstation so I could back up my save files and make more room on my memory card. That thing was rad and I still have it today.

Feb 4, 2018
I loved every second of Pokemon Battle Revolution when I was ten. I was so excited to see the team I had raised in Diamond on the big screen in 3D.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't exactly a kid when I saw 'realistic Link fighting Ganondorf' but damn if I wasn't excited for it. Now while I didn't owna GameCube until like 2005 and ended up getting WW until around then, it was in anticipation of TP. I wasn't overly enamoured with the cel shading but I enjoyed the game too so it was win-win. For a while though, that clip of them fighting, that was that so promising.

Probably Duke Nukem 3D. It was the "version without the nudity and violence" but we were all sharing ways how to get around this.

Oct 28, 2017
Rise of the Robots on the SNES is one of the key games of my youth. Everyone hates it, but for me, that game looked like real life and I actually got insanely good at it for a while.

tumblr_ms79tdJ2ow1qd4q8ao1_400.gifv

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friends and I thought the peeing guy in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was super edgy and hysterically funny (we were in 5th grade). My mom was fairly strict about the media we consumed and once sprinted over and ripped the Gamecube power cord out of the wall when she happened to see this on screen. I see my childhood friends every once in a while and that's still a story that still gets brought up every now and again. Good times...

Last edited:

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
MĂ©xico - United States
I adored Shadow the Hedgehog -- both the game and the character.

Actually, when I was about ten, I looked everywhere for Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. Everywhere. Finding a copy of that game on 2008 in Mexico proved more difficult than it should have been. I wasn't even aware of online shopping at that time. So I finally found it in some Blockbuster that had a Game Rush inside. Surprisingly I actually loved the game, but even then I found the romance super awkward.

I also loved games that let me build my own levels. When I bought Halo 3 for Christmas I didn't know what Forge even was, so when I found out I was super happy and then super disappointed at the fact that I could not spawn enemy AI. So I started making my own maps and pretending I was playing online (I didn't have Xbox Live), lol.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
When I was about 8, I dreamed of owning video game magazines. I grew up in a poor family and couldn't afford them. Many years later, I had enough money to buy me some GamePro mags and loved it. We had mandatory reading time in high school and you can bet I had a lot of fun perusing the latest editions for new info about the hottest releases. Now that the Internet pretty much killed mags, it seems stupid but I was always ecstatic to enter a store and beeline for the video game magazines shelves. Today you're lucky to have one, but there used to be so many!

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I tried so hard to convince myself that Sonic Adventure 2 was fun and my time spent with it was worth it. At least the soundtrack is banging but the rest of it... Nah. I lied to myself. For too long.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Shout out to Easy Allies again who's content I watched ALL day today.

I was really excited to play madden online in 2005-6

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I remember wanting Spy Hunter for the GameCube really fucking bad for some reason.
61w%2BGOHOQ0L._SX342_.jpg

The game looks so stupid to me but apparently it was good?

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I was amazed at how the character in Bug for Sega Saturn could walk into the background then come back to the foreground.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Die Hard Game Fan!!!! I used to get SO excited every month when a new issue would drop in my mailbox! The art on the cover (for the time) was awesome!!! (There also wasn't much of a "gaming fan art" scene back in those days, so seeing high quality art from some of my favorite games was really fun for me at the time. Not to mention gaming magazines were the main source for gaming coverage, rumors, and screenshots of newly announced games.

29890551de7c03ebbedbb9c2b6d853b9.jpg

The mag also had spreads on games that always seemed more in tune with my tastes and they usually didn't just give cover space to something cause it was being pushed by publishers or paying advertisers. Some of my favorite issues....

OMG!!!!! Sonic 2!!!! I didn't have a genesis at the time, but my neighbor did, and we would swap systems on the weekends sometimes.
small.gallery_18528_10_179387.jpg.72b19726aabdaf5a1c906423ef4158d0.jpg

Ah ya!!!!A new PUNCHOUT!!!! OMG!!!
4374272214_dd97420ddc_b.jpg

Still love this cover all these years later!!! As well as the game!
CWUcgyCWoAEG8GB.jpg

And back in my day (yes I know...I'm old) this SHIT was the true NEXT GEN!!!!
585ed8c133d0200014ee4185.jpg

Ahh, yes how far we've come. Yet I still miss this magazine. Was a great memory of my childhood as a few issues would always follow me around for trips to grandmas house, or camping. What a little gamer geek I was; and still am. Like being paid for it now though.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I badgered my parents for months to buy me Dynasty Warriors on PS1 because the lone female fighter and her long-ass sleeves intrigued me.

I played the game long enough to get the ending where the dude gouged his own eye out and then ate it.

nope

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Die Hard Game Fan!!!! I used to get SO excited every month when a new issue would drop in my mailbox! The art on the cover (for the time) was awesome!!! (There also wasn't much of a "gaming fan art" scene back in those days, so seeing high quality art from some of my favorite games was really fun for me at the time. Not to mention gaming magazines were the main source for gaming coverage, rumors, and screenshots of newly announced games.

The mag also had spreads on games that always seemed more in tune with my tastes and they usually didn't just give cover space to something cause it was being pushed by publishers or paying advertisers. Some of my favorite issues....

OMG!!!!! Sonic 2!!!! I didn't have a genesis at the time, but my neighbor did, and we would swap systems on the weekends sometimes.

CWUcgyCWoAEG8GB.jpg

Ahh, yes how far we've come. Yet I still miss this magazine. Was a great memory of my childhood as a few issues would always follow me around for trips to grandmas house, or camping. What a little gamer geek I was; and still am. Like being paid for it now though.
Yup, this was my favorite mag back then. Gamepro and EGM were rags almost literally. The paper that Game Fan was printed on was so high quality that getting a new issue in the mail was a tactile joy. It was strategy guide quality. Their coverage of games, writing and pictures were next level. Unlike other magazines back then, I'd get exposed to import games and systems I'd never be able to have as a kid but it was COOL to see. I really liked the magazine when it hit the 32 bit era as well.

I wish I hadn't thrown my issues out but they probably wouldn't have survived one of my moves anyway. :/

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The water graphics in FF CC on gamecube
The amount of CDs for a PSX game. There more CDs a game had, the better it certainly would be.

Apr 24, 2018

CWUcgyCWoAEG8GB.jpg

I loved Gamefan and EGM (Sushi-X!). My older brother would bring them home every month.

I remember the Earthworm Jim and Sonic 2 issues...

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. Diehard Gamefan had the best layouts and image quality. The better quality paper stock was worth it.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Yup, this was my favorite mag back then. Gamepro and EGM were rags almost literally. The paper that Game Fan was printed on was so high quality that getting a new issue in the mail was a tactile joy. It was strategy guide quality. Their coverage of games, writing and pictures were next level. Unlike other magazines back then, I'd get exposed to import games and systems I'd never be able to have as a kid but it was COOL to see. I really liked the magazine when it hit the 32 bit era as well.

I wish I hadn't thrown my issues out but they probably wouldn't have survived one of my moves anyway. :/

I used to have the USPS priority mail subscription when they offered it. I had every issue from the very first one they ever put out. That one wasn't even on news stands or stores. I lost them all in a flood a few years ago. I might have a couple left somewhere though.
Kleegamefan You guys were the best.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I was obsesed with polygons. I knew everything about them.
Was an early adopted of 3D accelerators and I viewed N64 games through a completely different lens than most people.

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
When I was 9, the HyperScan was making its rounds. Me, being the naive child I was in 2006, wanted a HyperScan. OOH! You can scan in characters and they'll be in the game! Cool, right? Welp, I dodged a bullet, as that HyperScan barely worked. Then, the games on there had loading times that put the NeoGeo CD to shame. I don't know what I was thinking.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Sometimes in the "Extra" option in game menu's back in the PS2/NGC/Xbox days games had trailers for other games or music videos. EA did this a lot. I remember NBA Street had trailers for SSX and NFL Street. NFS Underground Rivals on PSP had a music video of a punk band. I think Red Alert 2 had a trailer for Emperor of Dune somewhere? It got me super excited for these games and watched it over and over again.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Any game with a full motion video.
Me as a kid back in the mid 90s : " Whoaah... the graphic is sooo real!!!!"

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Batman Vengeance was my dream game when I was a kid. I grew up watching TAS and when I saw that game, it looked like you were playing an episode of the show. I only ever got to play it at my cousin's house on his gamecube, I never got around to ever owning a copy.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I remember watching footage of Sonic 1 on TV before I got my Mega Drive for Christmas. they were showing footage of that tall half pipe in Spring Yard Zone. I remember thinking it was so cool that Sonic could not only spin in a ball like a maniac, but he could even RUN BACKWARDS! At the time it seemed crazy and super cool, like the fact that he could run backwards added to his cool attitude or something.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Any games with FMVs were God-tier, especially if they approached Square or Capcom quality.

Also the Super Game Boy, because some games actually got color and it was actually possible to get good visuals unlike the OG Game Boy. Same wi th h the GBC.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was listening to the Easy Allies podcast where Kyle reminisces about how cool he thought Bubsy 3D was when he was younger because it was the first game he got with his Playstation and I got to thinking about similar times I got excited about dumb video game things.

When I was 8 years old, I remember being a huge Pokemon fan and checking and refreshing the Pokemon Colosseum page on Nintendo's website. The Pokemon fever was out of control. However, it was still early 2003 so I needed something else Pokemon to tide me over until then. In comes Pokemon CHANNEL.

I remember begging my dad to buy it when it came out, explaining to him how cool it was that the game was like Hey You Pikachu, a game I rented when I was younger, but that you had a TV now and you could flick through all of these channels. For all the other video games he understood at some level why I would want them, whether it was Super Mario Sunshine or Melee, but this didn't make any sense at all. However, I remember the night he bought it. I was helping him bring stuff he bought from Wal-Mart inside, and when he opened the trunk in his hand he had a copy of Pokemon Channel.

I was so happy and immediately started playing it and...I loved it. Or at least, I forced myself to. I think I played all the way until the end of the Pichu Bros anime that I stopped playing. It was so tedious to do everything whether it was doing requests from different Pokemon, watching the shows all the way through, the mindless quizzes. I kept acting excited to play it, but I realized a while after when I was older I always knew in my heart it was a terrible game.

What's a video game thing that you guys loved as kids that you realize now was awful?
I was excited about Colosseum too. Mainly because I saw it came from former DQ developers.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
When I was a teenager I was super impressed by the reflections on the trash in Red Steel (Can't make that up).

I didn't have an HD system back then and my technical expectations were low.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Simpsons Wrestling. I loved the show so much and spent my lil pocket money on videos and merch from the show. Was so hyped for this game and I remember my brother telling me the game was cack when I bought it. I soldiered through and dumped like 8 hours into it, before quietly trading it in