• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But RE5 is dope tho? :(
I'm sure it is, and I've been thinking about playing it again. It was just so far removed from what I wanted RE to be at the time so I couldn't finish it. And when I heard about RE6 from word of mouth I figured it was time to move on.
You didn't even come back for RE7 and RE2make, two of the best games in the series???
Nope, I moved on to The Evil Within instead. :T
Was going to come back for RE2make, but the year has been too packed and now they are remaking RE3 and I want that ASAP.

Mar 29, 2018
I'm sure it is, and I've been thinking about playing it again. It was just so far removed from what I wanted RE to be at the time so I couldn't finish it.

Was going to come back for RE2make, but the year has been too packed and now they are remaking RE3 and I want that ASAP.
RE7 and RE2m are two of the best survival horror games ever. You gotta. TEW great too but not as good as those IMO, as survival horror (too wonky and combat focused).

OP
OP
EatChildren

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

As someone who thought Resident Evil 5 was ass, and also largely tapped out of the series but nevertheless tried them all, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 7 are really, really fucking incredible an absolute return to form for the franchise. If you're a Resident Evil fan you need to get around to them sometime.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

To be fair though, these commercials were some of the best Nintendo has ever put out. It's no wonder they sold a bazillion Wiis.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
one thing, which i immediately realized was when the first RE2 trailer was dropped.
the dialogue was so recognizable and i thought, wow no way, there is going to be a spin-off... and then boom.

same goes for the first ff7 trailer. after seeing midgard within the first few seconds i knew, without getting a glimpse on the characters, that this will be ff7.

other than that...

dmc1 trailer
mgs2 presentation/demo/trailer
mgs4 war haz changed

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Images? I can for some reason the Game Boy TV ad that had lines like:
GAME BOY
Don't forget your Tetris
And Dr. Mario
In your faaaace

Fake edit: This ad!

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018

I've never owned a PS3 or Killzone game and will always remember this.

Watched this so many times only to be underwhelmed by how the final game did not live up to this trailer's awesomeness:

Relevant article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/better-than-halo-the-making-of-halo-2-article?page=3

Also, a particular Shenmue II trailer which I can't find on YouTube but there is this fanmade recreation:

Thankfully in this case I did love the final game and it is still my favourite of all time.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My brain remembers Pokemon typings better than almost anything else. This never seemed odd but my wife and daughter are playing through Sword and Shield and constantly ask, "What type is so-and-so?" Even for ones they've asked previously. So now I think I may have wasted a big chunk of my memory.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
There was a UK magazine ad for Tomb Raider III which had a guy lying in bed waiting for his girlfriend who was dressed as Lara Croft. Saw that when I was 10 and have never forgotten it, but have never seen it online.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
What other dumb, extremely specific images pertaining to Video Gameshave burned themselves permanently in your subconscious?

Every time either the N64, and then later on the modern Killer Instinct have been mentioned, I recall the Killer Instinct arcade intro "Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64" with the logo.

xSxsqyP.png

This is the image I think of when I think about RE5, and how much I did not end up liking the game. This was the first image I actually saw of it after it was announced, and will forever be a symbol of potential and inevitable disappointment.

You didn't even come back for RE7 and RE2make, two of the best games in the series???

They already experienced the peak of the series anyway, and aside from the obvious visual differences, the original RE2 was better in a lot of ways.

Last edited:

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this image of San Andreas in an old gaming magazine, I couldn't stop looking at it and imagining what they were adding after Vice City.

screen_23.jpg

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still think about what Marcus, the Vita kid, is up to

Edit: Fuck he was advertising the PSP!?

Marcus-Rivers-2.png

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Not an image or video (and me trying to google this now is making me think I imagined all this), but I remember there being a call-in contest between Sega, some gaming magazine of which I can't remember, and, weirdly of all people, actress Countess Vaughn (Moesha, The Parkers, 227). You had to call a 800 number and recite a (admittedly very cheesy) rhyme given by Vaughn to possibly win a Sega Saturn and a copy of Sonic R with it. I never got through when the contest went live, so I never won. But of course, being a lover of all things rhythm, the rhyme she gave has stuck to my brain for many years.

"Super Speedy, all in 3D, race without a car
It's Sonic's latest, Sega's greatest, check out Sonic R"

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I have every Pokemon's types, weakness, resistance, neutral, no effect memorized. So when someone says they forgot a Pokemon exists or their type I'm like how?

I'll also throw in another vote for RE6's logo being a woman giving a giraffe a blowjob even when I see the non photoshopped one, but I blame that on you guys.

Fedele

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know why, but the True Fantasy Live Online announcement never left my mind. Wanted it so bad, got cancelled. Womp womp.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I can trace when my perspective on video games shifted forever.

It was sometime in 2005 and I had only ever owned Nintendo consoles and played Nintendo games. With the exception of James Bond titles, if Nintendo didn't make it, I didn't play it. I was a tried and true Nintendo brand loyalist a GameFAQs console warrior. I could not be shaken.

But during the Wii Era, my enthusiasm for gaming really diminished because I didn't really like those games. I was hardly playing any games at all, and when I did play them, it was because they were Wii exclusive. Red Steel, Excite Truck, Raving Rabbids, etc. I didn't like any of these games so I felt like I was just growing out of the hobby.

One day I was on IGN looking for new releases on other systems whose GameFAQs forums I could troll when I saw a review for Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition.

I'd never heard of Resident Evil 4. I didn't know what kind of game it was. I didn't know it already had a legacy at that point. But I decided to watch the video review on the tiny little QuickTime player or whatever. In the footage, a villager through a scythe at Leon and Leon shot it out of the air with his pistol.

This blew my fucking mind.

I did not play video games where this sort of thing was possible. It never would have occurred to me to try that. But the reviewer just shot it out of the air effortlessly. I remember the clang, I remember watching the trajectory halt, and I remember the thrill of realizing there was an entire world of what could be done in video games that I didn't know anything about.

I bought RE4 and played it nonstop, exclusively, for like two straight years. Changed my life, man.

If I hadn't seen Leon shoot that scythe out of the air, I probably wouldn't have kept playing video games. The sight and sound of that scene was is part of me now. I will never forget it. If I was in a coma, and you put a pencil in my hand, I would draw it in an attempt to communicate. I can't remember so many things, but I so vividly remember that clang. Whew. Never forget.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Back in 1997, on the ANT network, which I found by using AOL keyword N64, they had a slideshow preview of screenshots from the upcoming Zelda 64

I didn't know it at the time, but the music they used for that montage was the dungeon theme from Link to the Past. The screenshots were from back before things like the UI and character models were finalized, and Link's design in some places still looked like he did back in the NES games

There were a lot of images in that slideshow. An early Iron Knuckle, some early Stalfos, fires in hallways, an enormous disembodied hand... but every time I think back to the day when I first discovered Zelda games, every time I hear that music, I recall this image with startling clarity:

X9SduKH.jpg

It's odd, the things we remember

x.f

Nov 1, 2017
Not sure if it counts but all of the Half-Life 2 teasers are burned into my brain. I remember downloading all of the trailer .exes that were just mp4's wrapped in a BIK video player. I had those sitting on my desktop for a long, long time. I still remember the first Strider reveal video and the Barney combine fight music perfectly.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I have always remembered the "Have ye the stones?" Zelda 64 commercial from 1998. I thought it was so clever as a teenager.

I think NoA pulled it fairly quickly for the "Will thou suck?" ad and I could never find it online, to the point I was convinced I had made it up.

It's not easy to find but someone did upload it to YouTube eventually. Here is it:

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Mass Effect 2's launch trailer is burned in my mind till this day. i can even talk the lines with the characters.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Pretty much the entire ps3 e3 conference. 05 I want to say?
Actually, pretty much all the pre-release ps3 marketing.

"this...is a pixel..."

I still think about what Marcus, the Vita kid, is up to

Edit: Fuck he was advertising the PSP!?

You know that you couldn't have remembered a vita ad, because the vita had no marketing

Last edited:

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
xSxsqyP.png

3EaQVzO.png

Was a massive fan of RE4 and RE3 at the time. Some of my favourite games. This trailer dropped and I remember seeing images of it in magazines. I really liked the protagonists design. Magazine writer described the it as "you'll be able to feel the warmth of sun". Every Resident Evil game to now had been taking place at night, so it piqued my interest. Oppressive heat sounded like a perfect match for the tense atmosphere of Resident Evil.

And then the game dropped and ruined my interest in the series to this day. But these two screenshots stuck with me.

Lol I remember this. Magazines were all like "Chris will get skin cancer if exposed in the sun for too long". Now i'm not sure if that was something someone from Capcom said or just internet random rumor and everyone just took the bait.

JTSilver

Games Actor
Verified
Sep 1, 2019
Gamecube's "Rebirth" tech demo

which was really mostly a demonstration of its ability play FMV.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
project-offset-20050809045147277.jpg

Pretty sure I saw this in a game informer magazine and thought that Project Offset and its tech would be the future.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Vixen, ZX Spectrum. An awakening for people of a certain age from the UK. One particular issue of Your Sinclair was very popular among my peers, that's for sure.
396387-vixen-zx-spectrum-front-cover.jpg

Dec 2, 2017
skuljaggersyk2h.jpg

How no marketing firm in the internet age has ever set up a customer service chat where a game's villain insults you is beyond me.

Also, if anyone has scans of the 16-bit Culture Brain EGM print ads - in particular Ultimate Fighter- I would be eternally grateful. They were literary masterpieces.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
It's not marketing (at least, it's not supposed to be), but I could probably tell you the review ratings of a very large quantity of games reviewed by Gamepro and EGM magazines from the late 80s/early 90s.

miniprat.jpg

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It's not marketing (at least, it's not supposed to be), but I could probably tell you the review ratings of a very large quantity of games reviewed by Gamepro and EGM magazines from the late 80s/early 90s.

miniprat.jpg
Wow, that's like watching a bunch of 90s commercials I've forgotten about on Youtube and it all comes flooding back to me like it was yesterday.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
This one screenshot of TESIV: Oblivion is seared into my brain.

the+elder+scrolls+iv+oblivion+screenshot+outside.jpg

I remember being in the computer lab in middle school and everyone was crowded around the one computer that had a chance to load this up from Gamespot or IGN or wherever and it just blew my damn mind. Now I think Oblivion looks like dogshit with the ludicrous amounts of bloom and terrible character models, but at the time I genuinely thought that games would never look better than this.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Moby Dick Studio and THAT interview. I remember a faire share of people thinking it was in engine.