• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Stealth in games that are not stealth, get that bs out of here basically.

Any cutscenes over 5 minutes, I'm not here for a cinematic experience. I want to play it not watch it.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Are you me?

But yeah, all these. I'll still play (and enjoy) games that have these elements, but I sure as hell don't like their inclusion. Silent protagonists in particular can get fucked.
I'm the same I can tolerate them but they really bug me.

User created characters are the worst as it just gives me the feeling that they had no great ideas character wise and usually the story is abysmal that just backs it up for me.

Even worse when they just stand there like a mannequin while people talk at them.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Shooting. Don't get the popularity, it ain't fun to kill people. I'm still puzzled why some studios can live creating only killing simulations.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Boring, drab, uninspired environments/landscapes

Minimal/weak character creation (one beard type, 3 face types, etc)

Niche games that have no objectives and/or offline/dead sandbox

Games with Japanese VA that sounds overly anime-esque (high-pitched girls)

Boring, simple soundtrack

Matador

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 12, 2019
Can't stand hand holding and long unskippable tutorials. Probably why I always roll my eyes when playing a Nintendo game or using their hardware.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
POI compasses and waypoint markers. For the love of god, let me find my own way. It's one of the reasons I have a hard time playing Skyrim. It's basically a connect the dots game with combat.

Sep 12, 2018
Lol. Yes, Resident Evil 4 is definitely super realistic and gritty! I especially like the bit when he fights a giant ogre and a wolf comes to help.
Yeah I can see why people get that idea from the opening village section but the anime bullshit just ramps up and up over the course of the game lol. By the end you're having Matrix-like knife fights with Guile from Street Fighter.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Daily and weekly stuff that you have to do. I don't mind it being in there if I don't really notice it but as soon as a game becomes too aggressive and forces me to engage with it every day, it turns me off.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
A fairly recent trend, and only in the AAA budget space, but it takes me out of it when we use 3D models of real actors to play roles. In other mediums, we use prosthetics and make-up and CG to make actors look like different. Makes perfect sense, since the entire point is that they sell you the illusion that they are someone else. Not video games though. For some reason we need to make sure everyone knows they were able to get that actor. It's the most important to us that their likeness is captured and advertised. It's not as important to think of that character as an original character, as it is to evoke that celebrity. The limitless potential of having to create a model anyway is reduced to the least creative, and most cynical option we have. In the case of Death Stranding, they don't even necessarily have those celebrities use their voice and performance, just the likeness suffices. I know Quantic Dream weren't the first to do this, but they are the studio I associate the most with this stuff. It feels like a practice for devs that are insecure about the medium, and wish to mooch perceived prestige from other ones.

Semi-related but I also I don't like it when I recognise voice actors immediately. I assume the problem wouldn't be so bad if the pool of actors was greater, but I feel like I keep bumping into the same 5 people over and over again who do roughly the same voice each time. Making the issue even worse is that I know for a fact that these people have a recent range, but for some reason they're asked to limit themselves. Last generation Nolan North's prevalence became such a meme that a game (Saint's Row?) added "Nolan North" as an option during the character creator. Troy Baker, Laura Bailey and Ashly Burch are just as over-played imo. None of this is on the actors themselves of course. They do a good job, and that's why they're getting re-hired. I do wish the folks doing the casting and direction expand their horizons though. Then we won't have to cast Laura Bailey to play a black woman any more.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Anything that tries to look as realistic as possible. Real life is such boring art direction to me.

Chaostar

Oct 27, 2017
  • Weapon degradation
  • Time limits
  • Microtransactions
  • Necessary multiplayer trophies for platinum
  • Long loading times
  • DRM
  • Difficulty Spikes
  • Excessive grind
  • Shoddy/no matchmaking
Feel like I'm shitting on some of my favourite games :P

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Annoying weapon breaking mechanics, apparently. And clunky menus. I played BoTW for dozens of hours and it just never clicked.

Input lag and long animations for repeated actions. RDR2 lost its appeal after 10 hours and I haven't gone back.

I didn't know that these things would be deal breakers for me going in, but they were.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Quest reminders that are baked into the HUD

Permanent "press this button to skip" during cut-scenes

High-pitch voice acting where adults try to sound like children

Being forced to help randos in quests I don't gaf about

Consumables rotting while in your inventory

Overly long or frequently recurring tutorialization

Games having you slug through their first hours constantly taking control away in favor of being cinematic (GOW and the like)

"Daily" quests in single-player games

Level-gating that feels insufferable because the game doesn't hide it well enough/ doesn't make it bearable

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I find exploring every inch of a map, looking for collectables that are necessary to upgrade your character, to be an annoying practice. Most games don't control well enough or have an intriguing enough world to make a fun experience for me. The modern Tomb Raider games and Gears 5 are some recent examples of games that had boring exploration that I couldn't stop myself from doing because I wanted the upgrades.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Forced stealth in a non-stealth game. I always want to give Wind Waker a second playthrough, and I always stop dead at the stealth section. OoT had a mini-stealth section too but it was only 30 seconds long.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Any sense of "this game is a roughie toughie challenge for hardcore gamers!", which my brain instantly associates with inevitable frustration and a waste of money. Banging your head against a wall, repeating the same section over and over again, is one of my least favorite aspects of games. The opposite of entertaining or engaging to me. Makes it feel like a chore, not a challenge. "You have to repeatedly do this frustrating thing in order to enjoy yourself!"

It's not really the part where it's a challenge, it's the part where you lose all progress and have to start over. Because I understand overcoming a challenge or taking pride in your work, but here you're doing the work, and then it gets erased and none of it matters. Do it again! It's closer to torture than enjoyment. I just don't get it. Not what I'm looking for from games. Git gud! No I'll just play some other game that I might actually enjoy instead.

I think the only game like that which I've not avoided is Trials. Because it's so quick. Eventually I reach that skill ceiling though, where it starts requiring such finesse, and I just don't want to put the time into finding out if I can git that gud.

Artificial prolonging is also repelling to me, but I'll put up with it if the rest of the game acts as a sufficient counter-balance. Basically all games have it in some capacity, but sometimes you can really feel it. Whether it's just overwhelming, or if it's keeping you from progressing or getting access to items that accommodate your playstyle. But it's difficult to know if it's gonna be a bother before you've played the game for yourself. And a lot of people like player retention designs. And so it keeps being a thing in Battlefield. Much like the maps inspired by the heinous shitstain that is Metro, the worst map on television.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
- Scattered random documents/journal entries and tapes in most non-logical places in games where narrative has quite a bit focus on to explain "main story". Dragon Quest XI does this well, though
- No items to reduce random encounters in RPGs
- I love banter between characters but if it has constant cursing for no real good reason, bleh
- EXP or other RPG-mechanics and skill trees in games that don't really need them. Recent Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider games are especially guilty of this
- Daily sidequests in a non-MMORPG games
- Tips constantly appearing on loading screen or in-game when you are about to do something
- Pushing graphics and narrative resulting average (or less) gameplay. Games are not interactive movies; visual novels and such obviously excluded

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
  • First-person view (with exceptions)
  • Silent protagonists
  • Stealth
  • Soulslike combat (RIP Code Vein)
  • Needless open-world
  • Low-detail, low-effort cartoonish art
  • Character customization with a narrative that fails to account for decisions regarding major distinguishing traits, unacknowledged party member recruitment, or any other time a game lazily uses a one-size-fits-all world while advertising choice.
  • Walking simulators
  • Overworld encounters (they just look goofy and out of proportion)
  • Messy map design with weak player guidance

Last edited:

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
For me lately it's definitely "Tropes only" character. By which I mean there is one sole aspect to their personality: clumsy, short tempered, loves animals, etc. They are defined only by that one trait. They do not grow or change. Most likely, too, they think the main character is the best thing in the world despite his one note personality.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
The game is amazing, but the fact you can't select which season to drive around in and explore the map in Forza Horizon 4 really annoys me. Instead you are locked into the weekly rotation.

Oct 25, 2017
In Horizon: Zero Dawn when playing, the camera keeps on moving back over to Aloy's left shoulder unless you constantly aim. It's absolutely infuriating.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
Lootboxes. I can't believe this is what the gaming industry has evolved into, even though it's been proven that it provides a huge benefit.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Was playing Darksiders 2, liked the first, was excited to see it through. An hour in met a character that was like why don't you buy some lootboxes, delete game. Soon as I get the feeling that they made the game suck just a tiny bit more to encourage spending extra cash I'm out.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Focus on online components
Going overboard with realism at the cost of making a game feel awful to play (looking at you RDR2)
Random encounters
Levels designed around characters not being able to do basic shit any able bodied human could do.

That last one is bugging me the most in Code Vein right now, and in all of the Souls games and Bloodborne before Sekiro. So many times I'll be wandering in a level and I'll stumble across a spot where the biggest thing blocking my progress is a ledge that should be easily climbable or in the case of Code Vein, a small gap that's like 3 ft wide.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Games that have "optional" MTX, but they keep shoving that shit in your face throughout regular play. Fuck off with the ads, I know where MTX menu is if I ever need to use it you con artists.
LOTRO going F2P. We were kicked off the servers and when we went we were allowed back on there was a big gold button next to the skillbar for the shop. Not to mention every quest reward page mentioned the shop, even tool tips for some items had shop mentions.
It (and the XP boosts and skips) murdered the game in a heartbeat for a lot of people.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People have said a lot of really general and common ones already so Imma go ahead and be pretty as fuck and say games with a character creator with bad or very limited hair styles. Been giving Outer Worlds the stink eye over this.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick item degradation. BoTW's biggest sin. I hate that shit. Let me use the cool stuff I find. Drove me nuts in fire emblem too.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
An instant deluge of random materials that you just know are going to be used for a tacked-on crafting system when the game actually gets going.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
- Animu.
- Crafting.
- Stealth.
- Getting new items that's arent superior to what I already had.
- Too much dialogue/cutscenes.
- Randomly-generated.
- Roguelike.
- Excessive grinding.
- Microtransactions.
- Input lag.
- Juvenile sexualization.