• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I drink a lot of coffee, but I'm a little confused. A latte is just a espresso with steamed milk. Are all the other drinks with the syrups and whipped cream, also lattes?
Yeah I'm guessing they mean something like a Vanilla Latte or a Caramel Macchiato, which are loaded with sugar. If you just order a Macchiato or a Latte, you get exactly what you're thinking of.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But MUH FREEDOM literally got in the way of feeding children healthy choices at school lunches and it benefits big corporations exponentially to keep thing this way, so I'm not hopeful until we get some other fundamental changes in the country (and I'm certainly not perfect when it comes to dietary choices and have supported far too many corporations via fast food over the years, but I'm lucky enough to be able to make a lot of healthier decisions in regards to my diet in the past couple years).
Ever considered to make food healthy and to maintain food costs for children's lunches to such a low cost. Meant the food they are eating might be disgusting, tasteless, or lack of a better point not being consumed and just thrown/toss away.

Not to mention schools go by a calorie count system that's flawed. Many kids still go hungry because they aren't eating enough calories. Especially more athletic kids who need the extra energy.

When I was in High School and the Michele Obama food changed what we could eat. The lack of salt, or even any sort of fat in the milk we had to consume was disgusting. A lot of people just threw everything away. Not to mention there was hardly any options like a salad and if there were, I wasn't eating enough from the course meals or alternatives.

You weren't allowed to buy a second lunch, there weren't any snack machines to try and eat more. The only thing you could do was pack a lunch that would fill you. But most families (or at least mine) didn't have food to even pack a lunch.

And sometimes schools just outright refuse people to pack a lunch. Or if there is someone with a allergy there were so many restrictions for other students on what they even can bring. Because of one student.

The American School Lunch system is a disgusting joke. It's another point of how capitalism is literally starving kids because we as a society is too cheap and ignorant of children. And we never give a platform to fucking students to even talk about these issues.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Everything in massive amount is unhealthy, everything in small amounts are healthy. This is the scientific rule I live by daily!

You can't take my polish sernik away from me science!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think some dumbfuck European "researchers" watched Honey Boo Boo and assumed that's what everyone in the US eats.

pasketti western diet.

fC9PYBv.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Ever considered to make food healthy and to maintain food costs for children's lunches to such a low cost. Meant the food they are eating might be disgusting, tasteless, or lack of a better point not being consumed and just thrown/toss away.

Not to mention schools go by a calorie count system that's flawed. Many kids still go hungry because they aren't eating enough calories. Especially more athletic kids who need the extra energy.

When I was in High School and the Michele Obama food changed what we could eat. The lack of salt, or even any sort of fat in the milk we had to consume was disgusting. A lot of people just threw everything away. Not to mention there was hardly any options like a salad and if there were, I wasn't eating enough from the course meals or alternatives.

You weren't allowed to buy a second lunch, there weren't any snack machines to try and eat more. The only thing you could do was pack a lunch that would fill you. But most families (or at least mine) didn't have food to even pack a lunch.

And sometimes schools just outright refuse people to pack a lunch. Or if there is someone with a allergy there were so many restrictions for other students on what they even can bring. Because of one student.

The American School Lunch system is a disgusting joke. It's another point of how capitalism is literally starving kids because we as a society is too cheap and ignorant of children. And we never give a platform to fucking students to even talk about these issues.
Nonsense, everyone knows that an 90 pounds 5'0'' librarian has the same caloric needs of a 250 pounds, 6'8'' pro basketball player. 2000kcal is an universal constant.

questionable

Banned
Jan 24, 2020
Modern Asian diet consists of the same shit. Not everyone here walks five miles up a hilltop to eat rice wrapped in seaweed for lunch...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Cool that the food reward hypothesis of obesity is making major media headlines.

It's highly researched since the 1960s. Basically the hypothesis is that a combination of highly palatable qualities of food when combined break down the body fat homeostatis system in our bodies (more body fat, more leptin hormone, less hunger, and the inverse of all 3). There are limited controlled human studies but it's fact with other mammals studied like rats. In the 1970s they observed that rats will ignore healthy food next to them, traverse a maze of electric shock during the day (their sleeping time) and overeat human junk food and become obese whereas in absence of junk food they eat and maintain a healthy weight. No calorie counting, no higher thinking, just biology.

A lot of people may be "well, duh" but the implication is that obese people overeat because they're hungry all of the time because the food is fucking up their hunger. Most dieting is based on willpower and planning, when really the focus should be on eliminating hyperpalatable food, at least for kids, and educate adults.

Jun 18, 2018
if the effects are reversible then how do I sign up to a waffle & milkshake based 'Western Diet' research gig for a few weeks? I'll do it so you don't have to!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who could have known that eating carb and sugar heavy food makes you drowsy

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man... if this study is true, I am going to be so dumb by the end of Mardi Gras with all the Popeye's fried chicken I'm planning to ingest on various parade routes...

Does alcohol counter the effects? Because I'll be consuming lots of that at the same time...

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking what they actually ate isn't indicative of the actual diet, it was just used as a simple way to administer a consistent meal for the study that matches nutritionally what a typical Western diet is.

There is no typical Western diet, the West doesn't only consist of America, the Scandinavian have their own diets, the Greeks have theirs, the Spanish have theirs and so on.

I'm Dutch and I don't know anyone who eats like this.

I even doubt this diet is typical for America alone.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Related studies go into more nuance.

For example, a lot of frozen healthy meals that are ~300 calories and decent in macros have a lot of flavor enhancers and like 1g of salt which also results in increased hunger. It's why a lot of obese people struggling to lose weight end up eating 2-3 of these meals.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
OMG it's so sad how many "news" organization are totally built around shallow clickbait.

Because they know "high fat, high sugar" wouldn't have got the clicks. And as others have said, what even is a Western diet?

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Not super surprising.

And yeah maybe they should have said American instead of Western.

But yeah American chains and American foods in general are awful. Loaded with sugar, processed to hell...

Also lol @ everyone in this thread being all indignant. Don't kid yourselves. We have fast food threads all the time. Last time we had a tofu thread... lolol. Half the people here eat sushi with fucking CREAM CHEESE.

The current American diet is total shit. Be it a class issue, socioeconomical issue, whatever.