• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Consuming a western diet for as little as one week can subtly impair brain function and encourage slim and otherwise healthy young people to overeat, scientists claim.

Researchers found that after seven days on a high fat, high added sugar diet, volunteers in their 20s scored worse on memory tests and found junk food more desirable immediately after they had finished a meal.

"After a week on a western-style diet, palatable food such as snacks and chocolate becomes more desirable when you are full," said Richard Stevenson, a professor of psychology at Macquarie University in Sydney. "This will make it harder to resist, leading you to eat more, which in turn generates more damage to the hippocampus and a vicious cycle of overeating."

Previous work in animals has shown that junk food impairs the hippocampus, a brain region involved in memory and appetite control.

www.theguardian.com

Researchers find a western-style diet can impair brain function

After seven days on a high saturated fat, high added sugar diet, volunteers scored worse on memory tests

Is this by design or an accident, Era?

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
What is a Western diet? (French one? Greek one? Polish diet? American? Spanish diet?)

Articles like this are so reductive lol

Thread title should be 'high fat, high added sugar diet' can impair bran function

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On Days 1 and 8, these participants received a laboratory breakfast of a toasted sandwich and a milk shake, high in saturated fat and added sugar (total KJ = 4023; 33% fat [19% saturated], 51% carbohydrate [29% sugar] and 16% protein). On Days 2–7, participants were instructed to eat two Belgian waffles for breakfast or dessert on 4 days (total KJ for two waffles = 3376; 28% fat [15% saturated], 65% carbohydrate [31% sugar] and 7% protein), and to obtain a main meal and drink/dessert from a set of options from a popular fast-food chain on the other 2 days (total KJ per average meal/drink/dessert = 4127; 27% fat [15% saturated], 46% carbohydrate [25% sugar] and 27% protein). The waffles were provided to participants along with cash to obtain the fast-food meals. Setting aside these changes, participants were instructed to otherwise try and maintain their normal diet.

That's not anything close to a regular diet... maybe in the US but to call it western.. Nah chief

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Sheetz has a hotdog deal

two dogs in two buns

a couple toppings, and as much as you like

two dogs in two buns

1 dollar

smartest deal of the century

Aug 12, 2019
America needs to have a real discussion about how terrible our dietary choices are and that we need to stop providing incentives for food that is terrible for people and start making healthy food cheaper...

But MUH FREEDOM literally got in the way of feeding children healthy choices at school lunches and it benefits big corporations exponentially to keep thing this way, so I'm not hopeful until we get some other fundamental changes in the country (and I'm certainly not perfect when it comes to dietary choices and have supported far too many corporations via fast food over the years, but I'm lucky enough to be able to make a lot of healthier decisions in regards to my diet in the past couple years).

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Lol it's like a snobby Europeans idea of an American diet.
giphy.gif

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only think of American fast food chains and restaurants often serving large portions, and anyone not from the US who visits here will always comment how big our portions are and how gigantic our drinks our. Also that our snacks, like chocolates, are so sugary compared to what they'll normally eat.

I have a mid-size PC tower, a Whataburger large drink is just a hair more than half the size of my PC tower and similar width.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Well, even a European diet is pretty rich compared to an Asian diet. Motherfuckers love their sweets. They put sugar and milk in their tea/coffee ferchrissakes.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017
Patiently waiting for someone to mention how their year teaching English in Asia boosted their brain power.

it won't be on this page of responses, probably. But I am fairly confident it'll happen.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
That explains why most Americans brains have swollen to the size of a triple whopper with cheese.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if the lead supervising artist/developer/programmer of the halo franchise for the last seven years ate western food then you know it good

the good thing about this level of being an extreme polymath is that I can be blamed for everything. Yesterday I came across an old story claiming I didn't know Master Chief was in the game or that players like him. It's never too late to take your medicine. Or too early for a healthful chocolate milkshake.

Jun 10, 2018
Don't mix fat with carbs when you eat people. You're just creating more AGEs in your bloodstream which can and will fuck with your health over the long run.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised someone would be alive on that diet.

Dumb and reductive to call this the western diet.

maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking what they actually ate isn't indicative of the actual diet, it was just used as a simple way to administer a consistent meal for the study that matches nutritionally what a typical Western diet is.

Dec 24, 2017
I drink a lot of coffee, but I'm a little confused. A latte is just a espresso with steamed milk. Are all the other drinks with the syrups and whipped cream, also lattes?