• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Horror-films.jpg

GIGACalculator.com found Hereditary was the most heart racing horror film, making pulses rise to an average of 115 BPM - a significant jump compared to the average resting heart (60 – 100 BPM).

The volunteers reported that although there aren't too many explicitly terrifying moments in the movie, the pervasively sinister and dark atmosphere of the film proved enough to make hairs stand up throughout!

Saw came in second place. Although released 16 years ago, the first film of the iconic horror franchise raised heart rates to an average 113 BPM.

Participants described the torture scenes in the film as "harrowing" and "disturbing", making them scared of the serial killer Jigsaw even after the movie ended.

The acclaimed Australian film The Babadook, ranks in third place. In fact, those watching the film experienced an average BPM of 110.
www.irishpost.com

Gabriel Byrne modern horror classic Hereditary named scariest film of all time in new scientific study | The Irish Post

A MODERN horror movie classic with a distinctly Irish feel has been named the scariest film of al...

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Babadook isn't scary at all. Neither is Saw.

The Descent, Conjuring 2, and Insidious are all much scarier than these two.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
That seems about right to me. The last thread that claimed to have the scientifically proven 'scariest movie' had a bunch of goobers recommending Lake Mungo. I'm here, drunk and stoned, and wanting to verbally abuse every person that said that movie is the scariest ever. You are liars, and you should be as disappointed in yourselves as your parents are.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Hereditary get good? It was slow and corny and the people I was watching it with stopped the movie within an hour.

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Hereditary is not scary at all. There's no psychological fear.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This list is bullshit. Hereditary, Saw, and US are good movies but they aren't scary. This study is likely deeply flawed, probably in the sample size, films chosen, and the fact that the probably didn't take into account how you handle subsequent horror films after the first few films watched

All of the films shown were selected via a survey of 2,542 "gorehounds" who were asked to name the top 10 scariest horror films of all time.

Really? There are only 3 films on this list made before 2010 and one made before 2000. These people just named some movies off the tops of their heads.

Last edited:

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Uh, I barely watch horror movies and saw Hereditary and sure yeah, it was pretty spooky, but tbh I kind of expected there was worse in the genre. It didn't really seem unbearable to me.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
For a movie not on this list, I highly recommend Session 9. Pure psychological horror. The slow kind that creeps into your soul and makes you think "everything about this feels wrong and sinister but I'm not entirely sure why"

edit - Jacob's Ladder for runner up psychological horror

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
In theory, sense it's Average Heart Rate (I'm assuming, since it says Race), that this really mostly measures the films that made the audience the most tense. While most people enjoy tension caused in a film... it seems like actual jumps/bursts of fear are how people define "scary."

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
The Descent & The Exorcist are the only 2 on this list that belong anywhere near the top of any "Scariest Movies Ever" list.

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno about scariest but it's definitely sustains pure dread for much of its run time. Definitely one of my favorites in recent times along with the batshit insane Midsommar

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like this list a lot better than whatever that nonsense was that put sinister at the top

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
I wouldn't put much stock in this study, especially considering another one conducted in the exact same way came to a different conclusion. Still a nice way to find some good horror films to watch though.

Here's some info on both studies. (Full disclosure, I wrote both articles so feel free to disregard if the self-promotion is a bit off-putting, but I wasn't involved with the studies themselves in any way.)

https://gamerant.com/the-scariest-horror-films-determined-by-science/

https://gamerant.com/more-scariest-horror-movies/

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Hereditary is absolutely a dreadful, suspenseful mess of tension and misery. The second half of the movie is so hard to watch because of how nasty and uncomfortable it is (and some of the imagery legitimately haunted me for days).

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
How A Quiet Place is on that list really baffles me. And Saw at #2? Some good mentions with Insidious and Conjuring 2 but that's about it. The Descent was also damn good in a few parts.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about scariest but it's definitely sustains pure dread for much of its run time. Definitely one of my favorites in recent times along with the batshit insane Midsommar

My partner and I watched Midsommar today and the singular positive thing I can say about it is that it's made me really want to watch Hereditary.

Midsommar was wonderfully effective at making me feel deeply unsettled and terrible, but I reaaaaaally didn't like it. It feels like 3 hours of wildly upsetting imagery for absolutely no reason.

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
I don't know if I consider any horror movies scary anymore.

Creepy, unsettling, psychological type of horror sure.

But just scary... Not really.

For me, I guess I would say Japanese Ring 1 and Silent Hill are high on my "scary" list. Mostly for being creepy and disturbing though.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Heart rate is also not a great measurement of horror movie quality. If it was, then me putting silverware in a blender is the scariest film of all time

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
... Really? Hereditary? Really?

Granted I hated Hereditary for the bait and switch and just how boring it was but really?

The most interesting thing I found about Hereditary was later finding out the girl who played Charlie is the sister to the actress who plays Dorothy on Doom Patrol.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
My partner and I watched Midsommar today and the singular positive thing I can say about it is that it's made me really want to watch Hereditary.

Midsommar was wonderfully effective at making me feel deeply unsettled and terrible, but I reaaaaaally didn't like it. It feels like 3 hours of wildly upsetting imagery for absolutely no reason.

Sounds about right. I watched it alone in a small theater and there were probably like 5 other people in attendance. It was a very surreal and uncomfortable experience for sure. I remember just walking out of the theater in a daze, completely exhausted.

Hereditary is a slow burn as well but it's more deliberate in its plotting. It's definitely packed with very unsettling/upsetting Imagery as well. I'll forever be annoyed that Toni Collete was snubbed for her amazing performance that year.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Hereditary I can hang with, but the scariest part of Saw is Leigh Whannels acting. Still love it though

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I did not find Saw or Babadook particularly scary, especially not Saw. Deciding this by heart rate is really odd.

Hereditary was more disturbing than scary. I still find that movie very unsettling just thinking about it.
It's a well made movie, don't get me wrong, but I will probably never watch it again.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right. I watched it alone in a small theater and there were probably like 5 other people in attendance. It was a very surreal and uncomfortable experience for sure. I remember just walking out of the theater in a daze, completely exhausted.

Hereditary is a slow burn as well but it's more deliberate in its plotting. It's definitely packed with very unsettling/upsetting Imagery as well. I'll forever be annoyed that Toni Collete was snubbed for her amazing performance that year.
The entire cast of Hereditary deserved awards along with direction and writing, but Toni Collete fucking killed it. Seriously the most realistic depiction of grief and misery in practically any movie I've seen. That woman can fucking act

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I think they should be using tense, or disturbing instead. I wouldn't describe any of the top 3 as scary

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that one scene where the movie really takes off is unforgettable, true horror.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should be using tense, or disturbing instead. I wouldn't describe any of the top 3 as scary
This seems to correlate more with tension than outright scariness.
I don't understand this. what would you consider scary? Movies aren't real, so it's not like you can be legitimately afraid of what's happening on screen, but something that evokes an actual feeling of tension and disturbance, something that actually makes you uncomfortable is pretty real. That's horror.

It's why I maintain that Green Room is actually the scariest movie I've ever seen. I've never had an emotional and physical reaction of that level to a movie like that before or since

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
For a movie not on this list, I highly recommend Session 9. Pure psychological horror. The slow kind that creeps into your soul and makes you think "everything about this feels wrong and sinister but I'm not entirely sure why"

edit - Jacob's Ladder for runner up psychological horror
Session 9 is some gooood shit. Slow builds are my worst enemy and that movie had me clawing at the walls.

I'm a weakling who can barely tolerate horror but I couldn't look away.

I miss old school late night IFC, when IFC actually showed weird stuff like Session 9.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this. what would you consider scary? Movies aren't real, so it's not like you can be legitimately afraid of what's happening on screen, but something that evokes an actual feeling of tension and disturbance, something that actually makes you uncomfortable is pretty real. That's horror.

It's why I maintain that Green Room is actually the scariest movie I've ever seen. I've never had an emotional and physical reaction of that level to a movie like that before or since

To me I guess tension is a very consistent level of horror, while when I think 'scary' I think of peaks and valleys, I guess. Jump scares and ghosts showing up in Phasmophobia and shit. Suddenness.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Session 9 is some gooood shit. Slow builds are my worst enemy and that movie had me clawing at the walls.

I'm a weakling who can barely tolerate horror but I couldn't look away.

I miss old school late night IFC, when IFC actually showed weird stuff like Session 9.
If you haven't seen Jacob's Ladder, it's more intense but has a similar kind of slow build to Session 9. You won't regret watching it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Babadook is not scary and barely qualifies as a horror movie, and The Conjuring 2 does not belong anywhere near this list.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
The Babadook is not scary and barely qualifies as a horror movie, and The Conjuring 2 does not belong anywhere near this list.
Listen, I hated the Babadook, but it's absolutely 100% a bonafide grade A USDA grass fed free range horror movie. It falls into psychological and trauma, much like Hereditary. But I thought it was dogshit, unlike Hereditary