• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

We need a "Study" tag.

• Yes, we do.

Votes: 89 57.8%
  • No. We do not. ("News" is fine)

Votes: 65 42.2%

• Total voters

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
Also a relevant study:

journals.plos.org

Playing Super Mario 64 increases hippocampal grey matter in older adults

Maintaining grey matter within the hippocampus is important for healthy cognition. Playing 3D-platform video games has previously been shown to promote grey matter in the hippocampus in younger adults. In the current study, we tested the impact of 3D-platform video game training (i.e., Super...

Honestly it does make sense, especially as it pertains to titles like Super Mario 64 that demand consistently thoughtful approaches to situations. You cannot really succeed through random or thoughtless play in almost any circumstance. Though this is speculative on my part, I would not be surprised if games like Call of Duty (as played by average users, not pros) would not generate the same results since it's much easier to sort of "zone out" and autopilot a bit while you play.

ah dang grandma just blj'd through the kitchen coffee table

But yeah, I do think that a game that requires reframing your thinking, or a game that presents you with different challenges fairly consistently, would give a similar effect. Portal and Braid would probably do the same for brain activity.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Higher cultural awareness, language learning improves brain activity
leo-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Oct 30, 2017
What if I like to play videogames high?

Is it like that buttered toast/cat meme?

Am I between cognition(s)?

Spooky stuff.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder what the "effective dose" is? Would 1 hour of gaming per month be enough to get these benefits or is more needed?

Or in other words, it's nice to hear there are benefits but I doubt playing for 1000 hours would get you 10x the improvement over 100 hours of gaming.