• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not like we haven't seen statistics that many other countries with a lot of white people tend to have lower mask compliance...

20200711_WOC398.png

_113362160_optimised-yougovcoronahc-nc.png

Uhh, so what the FUCK is up with UK and Australia?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Only person who called our store to ask me- I shit you not- if they had the "FREEDOM AND LIBERTY" to not be harassed by employees for not wearing a mask was a white woman.

Oct 27, 2017
Only person who called our store to ask me- I shit you not- if they had the "FREEDOM AND LIBERTY" to not be harassed by employees for not wearing a mask was a white woman.
This is the kind of entitled bullshit only a white person would have the confidence to pull off
Like if you just mentioned someone calling in and saying that I would 100% of the time imagine a white person

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I told my 93 year old Colombian grandmother and mother that people online are talking about not getting the covid vaccine and they were like "mijo are you fucking kidding me" because my grandmother was an X-ray technician for tuberculosis patients in the epidemic in Colombia before the BCG vaccine was introduced in the 60s. My grandmother used to have to trash her clothes after work. Until the vaccine it was super contagious and common and hopeless. They can't believe idiot White people have the gall and privilege to deny covid vaccines and covid masking because they don't know what it's like to suffer from an epidemic or pandemic until someone they love has been affected by it. And sometimes that doesn't do anything. My fucking mother-in-law is a crazy, anti-masker, anti-vaxxer white lady, and she just got done burying her mother who died of COVID in November. Her opinion hasn't changed at all. She won't wear a mask or vaccinate. AND SHE WORKS AT A NURSING HOME. Again, the sheer privilege to snarl at pandemic protective measures means you have truly been shielded from the horrors of the pandemic. They should shadow an ER for a week and see how they feel about masks and vaccines then!

zer0blivion

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's what happens when you have FREEDOM drilled into your head for your entire life.
You two reminded of this Hunter S. Thompson quote.

"Freedom, Truth, Honour — you could rattle off a hundred such words and behind every one of them would gather a thousand punks, pompous little farts, waving the banner with one hand and reaching under the table with the other."

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, so what the FCK is up with UK and Australia?
In Australia large parts of the country have no cases and no mask requirements, I'm in QLD and there hasn't been a mask requirement in my area at all since this started. I've only worn masks on public transport when I hear cases are getting close and that hasn't been that often either. Thank my lucky stars to have won the covid risk lottery every day.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
White American people
Don't generalize. This article is specifically about americans.
You're kidding yourself if you think this is an America-only issue.

She introduced herself as Karen, right?

Tryphosa

Dec 22, 2020
Well of course because they don't believe in science or decency so the only reason they are wearing the mask at all is because of gain access to the business or work. The exact second they walk off the business doors they whip it off and just walk bitter maskless through the parking lot to their car and usually leave the cart by the car.

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
I live in Australia, we have a large multicultural society, of we were to pick a group that were always the ones to start shit about masks it's the boomer white Australians. In saying that though, when masks were mandated and social distancing / lockdowns were enforced we had over 80% compliance with the rules. It helps when you're entire culture isn't about screaming the word FREEDOM any time you can't do everything you want to do.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
I just walked out of the gas station. Black clerk: mask. 4 white customers milling about: no masks.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, Canadian. Can confirm. And yet the government up here is tripping over themselves to try and blame the longevity of this pandemic on literally everyone else LOOL.

Yeah, let's over police the Black communities, attack East Asians, and write a thousand Op-Eds on Brown people celebrating Divali while White BBQ restaurant owners break quarantine rules and start whole ass marches over their right to serve dine-in food during a fucking pandemic (Non-Canadians I SHIT YOU NOT this happened).

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, Canadian. Can confirm. And yet the government up here is tripping over themselves to try and blame the longevity of this pandemic on literally everyone else LOOL.

Yeah, let's over police the Black communities, attack East Asians, and write a thousand Op-Eds on Brown people celebrating Divali while White BBQ restaurant owners break quarantine rules and start whole ass marches over their right to serve dine-in food during a fucking pandemic (Non-Canadians I SHIT YOU NOT this happened).
www.nbcnewyork.com

Staten Island Bar Owner Who Defied COVID Shutdown Rules Wants Sheriff, Mayor to Resign

The Staten Island bar co-owner who was arrested for repeat COVID infractions late last year and allegedly fractured a sheriff deputy’s legs as he fled one law enforcement encounter in his car, now wants the New York City sheriff to resign. Daniel Presti, whom prosecutors had accused of multiple...

Sounds like Staten Island, one of the hardest hit places in all of New York and probably the most conservative area in the entire NYC metro area that inlcludes parts of several states.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yup, can confirm on my travels on the TTC. It's always the older (over 50) white people as well, which boggles my mind. Their the ones at risk of dying from COVID and they refuse to protect themselves.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
All you have to do is look at the faces of the people showing up to anti-mask/lockdown rallies. Take a look at this one from Tronto from November:

Enw4eutXMAMmbsd.jpg

Now what if I told you that 50% of the population of Toronto are visible minorities.

Calgary:

81467030-20201128JW020-W.jpg

Calgary-COVID-protest-Nov-28-20204.jpg

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, so what the FUCK is up with UK and Australia?

The chart seems to stop in Summer 2020, when cases were very low and much of the hospitality industry etc was still closed.

I don't even think there was a legal requirement to wear a mask in shops then.

Quick search tells me that it was late July when we introduced that and mask wearing became more widespread.

I'd wager that the numbers are much higher now.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
They called and asked ahead of time?! Anytime we have this bullshit, it's always people just walking in and being baffled by the fact that we require masks and that we would impede on their free speech or some other bullshit.

For what it's worth, I work right near the door in a big grocery store and have seen all sorts of people coming through who have issues with us enforcing mask rules. And while I definitely see plenty of people who aren't white coming in without masks, the white ones are ttypically the only ones who make a scene about it. The others either

A) Legit forgot their mask and either go back out to the car to get it or get one from our front desk.
B) Flip our manager/security (whoever stops them) off and leave without any serious fuss.
C) Ignore anyone trying to tell them they need a mask entirely.

Only ever seen the white customers get loud and/or physical about it. And they're definitely the only ones complaining about it violating their rights in some way. Since the pandemic began, I can only think of maybe two or three PoC who have made a scene about masks, and it was never """""My Rights!""""" stuff was the issue. We've had one older black customer who called our manager racist for stopping him to ask him to put a mask on. And we get one couple (again, older, probably late 60's to early 70's) who come in almost every other day once they know our security has left and carry around a clipboard of documents I'm sure they printed off facebook or something that they'll hand to us concerning how they'll sue us if we tell them to put a mask on because it violates HiPAA or some shit like that...

On the other hand, we've had white teenagers literally tell our security and managers that they're going to come back in with a gun next time, which the police here just let them off with a warning for; so ya know... typical america stuff...

We get all sorts of assholes in here, but the vast majority of the loud, mask-related ones are definitely white.