• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Gomez recruited 11 Pokémon experts for his experiment (mean age 29.5 years), along with 11 Pokémon novices who had never played the game, for comparison. While undergoing fMRI, the subjects were shown images of faces, animals, cartoons, bodies, words, cars, corridors, and Pokémon. The Pokémon experts responded more strongly to images of the Pokémon characters than the control group.

When they analyzed the data, Gomez et al. found that, as hypothesized, there was a new region of the brain that formed in the subjects, dedicated to recognizing Pokémon characters, in the same location across the Pokémon-playing subjects. According to Gomez, this supports a theory called "eccentricity bias." It holds that it's the way we look at visual stimuli—specifically, whether we use central or peripheral vision—and how much of our visual field a given object takes up, that determines the location for a dedicated brain region for that stimulus.

A lot more at https://arstechnica.com/science/201...emon-characters-if-you-played-a-lot-as-a-kid/

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
This Pokémon center of the brain better not be stopping me from being more smarterer.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Next time someone asks "How do you remember all this stuff?", I'll just send them this.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can probably name at least 70% of them. That's like around 650 different terms...

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They're expertly designed to where silhouettes are instantly recognizable (ie whose that pokemon intermissions).
I had a theory that almost all of them are recognizable just from their eye designs alone and the people i sent this experiment to got almost all of them right (it was tougher in greyscale without colour)
The way cartoonists often style everything into very simple and distinct shapes and palettes seems to be very effective for differentiation and its part of why its the IP with my favourite creature designs.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Sounds about right
They're expertly designed to where silhouettes are instantly recognizable (ie whose that pokemon intermissions).
I had a theory that almost all of them are recognizable just from their eye designs alone and the people i sent this experiment to got almost all of them right (it was tougher in greyscale without colour)
The way cartoonists often style everything into very simple and distinct shapes and palettes seems to be very effective for differentiation and its part of why its the IP with my favourite creature designs.
What was that link supposed to go to?

EDIT: ah I see it now. The eye pics are so small

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents used to tell me that if I could remember 151 different Pokemon I had no right to fail geography (which I never did, fyi). Now I can explain to them how that was a wrong statement.

Meh not necessarily. It doesn't affect the validity of the study.

The study I quoted literally calls into question the validity of fMRI statistical significance in populations of less than 500-ish people. Too many variances to prove anything, specially with only 22 people. A study this small, means that the next time someone runs it they could get the exact opposite result.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had this when I was a kid for sure, with the original 151.

I can't name them all in order anymore. FeelsBadMan

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I think as a kid I could name all of gen 1-3.

Now I only do Gen 1 outright. Gen 2 and Gen 3 are fuzzy, even tho Gen 3 is my favorite one.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I can name all of them along with all the cities and characters. Not really sure if I'm proud of that.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I like the headline enough that I'm going to ignore the article and just absorb this concept as fact for the rest of my life.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Plenty of space in my brain is dedicated to useless pop culture information: Pokemon, Star Wars background characters, the history of Middle-Earth, Harry Potter spells, and the MCU timeline.

I'm surprised I can do anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Back in the Red/Blue days when I was like 9 I used to hate Pokemon because "learning all 150 Pokemon would turn your brain to mush" and "You will run out of brain space to learn anything else". I wish I could show my 9 year old self this.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If you can memorize the names, abilities, and attributes of 800 make-believe animals you can learn anything.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
16lcxw6.jpg

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Now if only I could reverse engineer this region of mine and use it for productive things.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I have the first 493 (Gens 1 thru 4) down cold in my head. After that it's a crapshoot, lol.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I can't for the life of me figure out what #3 is, but I'm also really tired and I know it'll be so obvious once I'm told.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I gave up on memorizing the names by gen 5. I still avidly play and enjoy the games, but the names come and go a lot more often nowadays.

I can't for the life of me figure out what #3 is, but I'm also really tired and I know it'll be so obvious once I'm told.

Venusaur.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
A Pokémon cartridge was used on Nerd.
Huh, what's happening? It evolved into Pokébrainerd!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So basically when people try to understand how the hell I can memorize all the shit I play and why I fail at being smart at anything else I can just point to them actual science? Shit, that's good enough for me

Oct 26, 2017
This probably also is the reason why I find myself internalizing any new Pokemon related information at an astonishingly fast rate.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
If you can memorize the names, abilities, and attributes of 800 make-believe animals you can learn anything.
Considering you need to know 8000-10000 words to be fluent in most languages it's actually more than doable. I'm currently learning my 4th language and plenty of people can speak many, many more than I do. Our brains can memorize lots of information but most people choose to not learn a lot. Obviously you have to be interested in that topic in the first place.