• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Via CNN

Earth seems like the perfect hub for life because it's the only planet known so far to host it -- but new research suggests that other planets could have oceans that are even more hospitable, offering life that is more varied than we know it.
Oceanic life on Earth depends on an upward flow, or upwelling, which moves nutrients from the dark depths to sunlit portions where photosynthetic life thrives. More upwelling means more nutrient resupply, which means more biological activity, researchers say.
"We found that higher atmospheric density, slower rotation rates, and the presence of continents all yield higher upwelling rates," Olson said.
"A further implication is that Earth might not be optimally habitable -- and life elsewhere may enjoy a planet that is even more hospitable than our own."
"NASA's search for life in the universe is focused on so-called habitable zone planets, which are worlds that have the potential for liquid water oceans. But not all oceans are equally hospitable -- and some oceans will be better places to live than others due to their global circulation patterns," Olson said. "These are the conditions we need to look for on exoplanets."
Current telescopes can't identify exoplanets to test Olson's theory, but ideally this finding could help in developing future telescopes that could seek out types of exoplanets defined in this research.
More at the link.

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I wish I was born two or three hundred years from now to be able to see just how far science and technology has advanced when it comes to space exploration and travel.

Can't begin to imagine the wonders we've yet to discover.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Let's go fuck up their ecosystems too!
"More habitable" doesn't mean that we humans could necessarily live there easily. They could still have different atmospheric compositions, gravity, or other things that messes up our anatomy and bodily functions over time. That's not even considering what would happen to someone's immune system upon contact with biology that evolved completely separately from Earth... All "more habitable" means is that life, in general, has more favorable conditions to live in than Earth has.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
myQq02J.gif

See you there brother.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
"More habitable" doesn't mean that we humans could necessarily live there easily. They could still have different atmospheric compositions, gravity, or other things that messes up our anatomy and bodily functions over time. That's not even considering what would happen to someone's immune system upon contact with biology that evolved completely separately from Earth... All "more habitable" means is that life, in general, has more favorable conditions to live in than Earth has.
That's a way more serious response than I was expecting.

Edit: Scarlet Spider lol

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Even if there's only life in one in every trillion planets that means there's trillions of planets with life out there (across the entire cast universe). Even in our own galaxy 1 in every million gives you thousands at least of life bearing planets. We can't be the only intelligent species to have blossomed in the entire cosmos. No chance.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sometimes I wish I was born two or three hundred years from now to be able to see just how far science and technology has advanced when it comes to space exploration and travel.

Can't begin to imagine the wonders we've yet to discover.

Me too, constantly, but I imagine everyone with an inquisitive mind thinks that, no matter when they were born. Galileo probably thought that and people 300 or 1000 years from now (assuming we don't self-destruct in the meantime) will probably also think the same. :)

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

I'm still stuck on the second/third volume of that one. I loved Blame!, Abara & Biomega (I am a Tsutomu Nihei stan) but I have yet to fully get into this.
Also, it feels that the BSG analogy still is a better fit in this particular context, so I'll stand by my words. Or, well, image.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I am into it only because it would mean that we will have capability to travel to other planets and that means that statistical our chances of completely fucking up ecosystems of multiple planets should be pretty low. Then again I might be underestimating human desire to fuck up planets

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Imagine if another species interfered with our evolution by immigrating to earth in earliest days. Voluntarily or otherwise, they would be invasive species.

Now, look around at our current predicament in the socio-political sector, rife with corruption and greed with facts of their detrimental effects laid bare without any conclusive rectification movement on a large scale. Humans have a tendency to react rather than pro-act. Anyway, point is, humans need to stay in their fucking lane and sort out the fundamental issues that plague the world before we inevitably repeat the same offences on a different planet with,presumably, its own native lifeforms?

I hope someone exterminates humanity before it exterminates another native species on another world (something that is highly likely between survival at best and greed at worst).

Anyway, these are far out fantasies given we have yet to exploit the resources of our solar system to the fullest to become a Type 1.x civilization.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
I am into it only because it would mean that we will have capability to travel to other planets and that means that statistical our chances of completely fucking up ecosystems of multiple planets should be pretty low. Then again I might be underestimating human desire to fuck up planets
An intergalactic menace is born.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Given the amount of stars and planets out there, of course this is a thing. There can literally be a land of milk and honey out there.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
If we were given the option to get there ASAP out of desperation.... would yall be picky about which wild life we bring along? Do we bring any at all?