• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, listen. These species of insects, some of them are like, 99% male.

At some point it's just the practical approach.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
But but my uncle told me that gay humans are clearly unnatural because homosexuality doesn't occur in other living things

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Gv2n8oul.jpg

"Goddammit, Derek."

dhXooo0l.jpg

"Not again!"

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Billions of insects making the same mistake is not accidental, that's just normal.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If I was a male insect I'd do the same so I don't get eaten by the females

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Someone was having fun with that headline.

I guess insects are more enlightened about sex than we are. They probably kill their mates less often too.

So, what insect do you want to reincarnate as? Me, I want to be a dung beetle. Then I would have a ball to play with.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean look at ants.. those crashing with thousand other can't be without accident y'know

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the idea that bugs may want to participate in Gay sex automatically called a mistake?
I'd say it's more "unintentional" since it's male insects drawn to female pheromones stuck to males that have recently mated. "Want" is probably too strong a word for insect sexual behavior.

I wonder how often there are insects drawn to pheromones from the same sex, though it would probably be selected against (evolutionarily) or more stricly controlled by sexual dimorphism.

Sex Attractant and Aggregation Pheromones of Male Phytophagous Insects said:
Of 1,314 species of insects with confirmed attraction responses to identified pheromones (Mayer and McLaughlin 1990), 1,260 of these pheromones are produced by females. Only 54 of those 1,314 species use male-produced sex attractants. A few species have been found to be equivocal in this regard, with the same attractant pheromone produced by both sexes or with the producing sex not known. Generally, though, when potential mates rendezvous via pheromones, the female signals and the male searches.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
So, it was the insects fault all along, all these storms and earthquakes and other natural disasters.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Not just insects. I study nematode mating and the males spend half the time in a massive worm orgy with each other.

...It's honestly kinda frustrating.

I do have a theory that part of the reason it hasn't been evolutionarily selected against like in other species is because males that trace other males tend to find hermaphrodites more easily. Basically, bi advantage.

Dec 30, 2020
Sure it starts off as an innocent mistake but then you suddenly realize nothing turns you on like mothboys...

Not just insects. I study nematode mating and the males spend half the time in a massive worm orgy with each other.

...It's honestly kinda frustrating.

I do have a theory that part of the reason it hasn't been evolutionarily selected against like in other species is because males that trace other males tend to find hermaphrodites more easily. Basically, bi advantage.

I highly appreciate any field of science where you can look up from a microscope and scowl, "damn, I've detected another orgy!"

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Sure it starts off as an innocent mistake but then you suddenly realize nothing turns you on like mothboys...

I highly appreciate any field of science where you can look up from a microscope and scowl, "damn, I've detected another orgy!"

Tbh it usually ends up being more like the "oh you" meme.

"Oh worms!" [hands on hips, looking at microscope in dismay]

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Is is gay insect sex if one or both of you are on cordyceps? Asking for a friend.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017

There's a species of nematodes that reproduces exclusively by this method, though the females are weirdly into it. Like they help the males find the right spot and everything. I was trying to study it at one point, but they don't really grow very well in a lab environment and you have to catch them wild in Belgium.