• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bracing myself for the second half slump, but I will say that I love the OP and ending songs.
The second half had flaws, but I didn't find it too bad. And I'm totally game if they ever wanted to make a second season of BNA.
Granted I'm also someone who thinks the second half of Little Witch Academia is better than the first half.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Caught the first couple episodes and not sure this is my thing. It's pretty painful in the writing area though I have to admit it looks great. I do have to laugh at the first episode where wolfman is basically every bad ass anime dude stereotype and visual trope mashed all into a furry body. Everything from the moving so fast no one can see or react to standing as explosions and bullets fly around without giving a shit while his jacket whips in the wind.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
BNA -really- feels like it was scripted out for 24 episodes but could only get 12.

Shiro as a character comes off as incredibly unlikable and one-note. He's explicitly called out as an ass in the text, but I'm not sure that makes it better.

And just a sidenote: it never sounded right when characters said the phrase "Beastmen." It sounds way too formal and there's no abreviation or slang for it anywhere in the show. Also, I'm surprised the word "Beastmen" never gets called out within the text for being sexist. The women in the series awkwardly call themselves "female beastmen."

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just at ep 9 and I have to say that at this point I'm so tired of Michiru stubbornness regarding Nazuna. This is the third time at least Nazuna confronting Michiru about their relationship and that Michiru not willing to get over her feeling. It is really disappointing that there is not much character growth with Michuru.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm just at ep 9 and I have to say that at this point I'm so tired of Michiru stubbornness regarding Nazuna. This is the third time at least Nazuna confronting Michiru about their relationship and that Michiru not willing to get over her feeling. It is really disappointing that there is not much character growth with Michuru.

Good god yes.
I could understand if she was privy to some information that her friend lacked but she just came off as trying to boss her friend around because she didn't like the way her friend was living out her dream.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The show would have been 1000% better if it had gone strong yuri in regards to Michiru and Nazuna's relationship. That needed to be the core of the show, but the way their bond is handled in the show is confusing and really undercooked.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
The show has great promise at first. Good setting for allegory, but at around middle of the show, it fell apart. The allegories were at surface level at best at the first half. During the second half, it was hardly allegory anymore. Things are set up with no or not much following. e.g. Beastmen are usually in human form but Michiru was mostly in beast form because she said she felt more comfortable with it. But it seems there is no follow up with why beastmen were like that. Or Shirou keep mentioning the pride of beastmen when he broke off part of the beastman, mostly horns, but they never talk about how beastmen treasure their body per se.

Ep9 was the first ep I had to stop because of the reason I said above. The plot in ep 10 is ... bad...? I am not sure if the plot or the dialogue is worse. Feels like many characters were taking dumb pills near the end. At the end, I missed the early on mini adventure more than the actual plot.

The good and bad of the show, to me at least, are still rooted in the anime. It is good because they aggressively use pastel colors in anime and the art style was good. It was bad because it is still an anime. It is limited by the 22 minutes ep. The first half is kind of a serialized style like in Veronica Mars...? But sometimes, things are set up pretty rush. The last third is limited by the need of a plot. I kind of wish they would just go smaller with the overarching storyline. Or just ignore the need of a grand finale. At the end, going full blown zombie apocalypse is a bad idea. Not to mention the new added info at the series finale.

I don't like Alan is a pureblood Beastman twist. It is a twist for twist sake. Alan can just be big bad pharma guy trying to make money. Michiru's speech was unearned to me. The final battle... was a choice since there were very few big battle scene throughout the series. I have seen too many superhero movies over the past 10 years that I was tired of the VFX nightmare in those genre. Same with here.

I also don't think it is fair to compare it to Zootopia or Beastar. Those two are set up for allegory with the herbivores vs carnivores difference. This show never talked much about that. It was just human vs beastmen, but humans were rarely involved in their daily life. Yes, it was the Japanese government set up Anima-city, but in the early episodes, most beastmen in the city rarely deal with humans directly.

With all being said, I like it enough. It is definitely not a must see show. There are way more shows out there you can see out there.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The second completely falls apart abs feels rushed

The actual overarching plot is dumb and really feels like it needee more episodes but it still wouldn't improve some narrative choices

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Afew episodes in. The animation and designs are really nice. Atleast really enjoying looking at it. Main character is basically Kamala Khan, which... sure, I can work with that.

Writing is pretty meh so far though. 'Animals as discrimination parable' to teach kids about bigotry is eye-rolly enough as it is though. Like, engage with the topic without this baggage of comparing discriminated groups to animals please.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like the second half as much as the first half. But god, I'm still replaying the ending theme and I finished BNA like last Friday.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally got around to watching this one, i overall enjoyed it a lot more than i was expecting. i thought
the cult stuff was gonna be more overt, come out of nowhere and take over the show but I wouldn't really say it felt like that
. The baseball episode was basically one of the best episodes, I def loved the maniac energy of that a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the anime overall, but I wish it did more with characters and worldbuilding instead of the A plot which wasn't as interesting. There's also basically 0 skeezy stuff so it's safe to watch if someone's looking over your shoulder which is rare.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Some of the fanart on Twitter is really cute and makes me wish this had been a yuri series instead of what we got. T_T

I strongly suspect Michiru is a tomboy because Kazuki Nakashima wanted the lead to be a boy but Yoh Yoshinari insisted on a girl. Makashima isn't exactly great at writing girls/women among other things.

Oct 27, 2017
Wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle: The Anime.

Amazing world, concept, artwork, animation, etc etc etc. Did absolutely nothing with it, and told a really undercooked story that left a lot of themes hanging. It was enjoyable overall tho.

I would definitely tell anyone going into it, not to expect too much.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle: The Anime.

Amazing world, concept, artwork, animation, etc etc etc. Did absolutely nothing with it, and told a really undercooked story that left a lot of themes hanging. It was enjoyable overall tho.

I would definitely tell anyone going into it, not to expect too much.

Studio seems to suffer from this alot...at least my god give them more episodes, 12 is not enough.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this show but yeah it was full of missed opportunities. Great concept and themes that were really underutilized.

Should have been 2 cours.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The best part of the show is the ending

There was a LOT of potential here. I think they coulda done better if they even resisted the urge to go 'epic' and magical at the end and just kept it to a detective story.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I really liked the show, but yeah it was too short.

If still recommend it though. I hope they return to the world and keep working on it one day.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to say this is fitting for every anime written by Kazuki Nakashima, including Gurren Lagann.
Ha. I mean I agree, but as someone who only thought TTGL was "cool" I don't feel like starting that whole fight again. He consistently makes stylish stuff tho.
Studio seems to suffer from this alot...at least my god give them more episodes, 12 is not enough.
I go back and forth on whether that would help this show in particular. Because the way they handled Nirvasyl Syndrome as a plot point was.... not good, even in theory.

It would definitely help with other things, like fleshing out characters and antagonist build up.

Edit:
About Nirvasyl in particular, the show was in a tough spot. I thought it was going to mirror Zootopia beat-for-beat, but it almost feels like it subverts that expectation to trick the audience. But then, you're awkwardly left with the realization that the villain is... completely right =/

Last edited: