• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Big oof

RT: 36%

Variety
It's the storytelling that feels most anemic.

Hollywood Reporter
A pronounced departure from tradition that proves dispiritingly generic in both appearance and tone.

Slate
The character designs are wonderfully distinct and colorful, but the world around them-and the way that they move through it-comes across as flat despite being animated in 3D.

Slant Magazine
The problem with Earwig and the Witch has more to do with its confused plotting than its more or less serviceable animation.

Polygon
It's barely more than a short story, and Ghibli's adaptation adds little to the stripped-down narrative.

Collider
But for a studio renowned for the time and attention it gives both the technical and storytelling sides of its production, the finished product is remarkably uneven. Yes, it's great that there's a new Studio Ghibli movie, but that doesn't mean that the new Studio Ghibli movie is great.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Yikes.

Was looking forward to this one but it seems like it might be a rare-misfire from Ghibli.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I feel bad for Goro but I just don't think he is cut out for this stuff, unfortunately.

Heres hoping How Do You Live? turns out well. I get the feeling it will be Ghibli's last big one.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
woof

the designs and 3D looks nice, but it sounds like it's pretty barebones

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
idk I don't think Goro has it in him unfortunately. Like, Poppy Hill was fine and Ronja was cute but with this and Earthsea? Maybe he just needs better screenplays to work with...

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
That the animation and art style are taking a critical backseat to the storytelling is really damning..

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Goro just because your dad is a wonderful director, doesn't make it a family business.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta feel somewhat sorry for Goro, having to fill in the boots of Hayao Miyazaki is a near impossible task to do. Even if you were to make a great film, you'd probably seem lesser than your father unless you create a masterpiece, scratch that, multiple masterpieces.

Shame this one didn't work out.

Oct 25, 2017
It's Goro so I'm not surprised, but it's a shame Miyazaki didn't take on more potential proteges during his heyday, instead tapping into empty reserves within the family with Goro. Meanwhile people like Hosoda were fired.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
was this the second or third DWJ adaptation from ghibli?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's a shame, I actually kinda liked what they shown in the trailer so its disappointing to see such a low rt score. Still gonna watch it but will keep my expectations low.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta feel somewhat sorry for Goro, having to fill in the boots of Hayao Miyazaki is a near impossible task to do. Even if you were to make a great film, you'd probably seem lesser than your father unless you create a masterpiece, scratch that, multiple masterpieces.

Shame this one didn't work out.
That's how I️ feel. Has ghibli had any good movies made by younger directors? Hope they're not on borrowed time

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Goro just ain't it. Kinda feel bad but it's probably best if they look elsewhere creatively.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have particularly high hopes for this one, and if I remember right it's essentially a TV movie so I don't think the studio did either. At this point I think they're waiting for How Do You Live? and then moving on to 100% legacy content going forward - particularly since what younger talent they had left for Studio Ponoc.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Man, Goro just can't get a real win, can he? I'm starting to feel bad for the guy.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Hayao was strongly against Goro making films for Ghibli
D-GHweLWsAIuXKe.png

D-GH1P1XsAAIuAV.png

D-GO3XCXkAABEE1.png

D-GO53nXsAoEjL4.png

He's brutal

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Ghibli feally fucked up relying so heavily on Miyazaki and Takahata when they should have been cultivating new talent. With Kondô dying so young and Yonebayashi leaving, Goro is pretty much all they have in terms of younger talent. It's really not a good situation.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have particularly high hopes for this one, and if I remember right it's essentially a TV movie so I don't think the studio did either. At this point I think they're waiting for How Do You Live? and then moving on to 100% legacy content going forward - particularly since what younger talent they had left for Studio Ponoc.

Speaking of, what have they been doing? Last thing they made was Modest Heroes and that was back in 2018

Jul 4, 2018
Sucks but was pretty expected by most people. Will probably still watch it as some point as I've seen every other Ghibli feature length film at this point.

Rough, but I'm sure I'd still like it more than Only Yesterday.

I get this is a personal dislike but to put this in perspective as it's a review thread Only Yesterday has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Only Yesterday is also a 90 on Metacritic meaning it's the third highest ranked Ghibli film after Spirited Away (96) and Grave of the Fireflies (94)

So pretty much the polar opposite of Earwig and the Witch when it comes to critical reception.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Ghibli feally fucked up relying so heavily on Miyazaki and Takahata when they should have been cultivating new talent. With Kondô dying so young and Yonebayashi leaving, Goro is pretty much all they have in terms of younger talent. It's really not a good situation.
Was watching the Pixar sparkshorts and Pixar popcorn the other day and I suddenly felt frustrated realizing Ghibli just doesnt do anything like this and it's getting to be too late to start it.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
That's really unfortunate. Goro just can't seem to catch a break. :/

Speaking of, what have they been doing? Last thing they made was Modest Heroes and that was back in 2018

I was wondering about that too, and looks like they were making a olympics short.

Modest Heroes had shown some potential, especially for Akihiko Yamashita, who directed Invisible.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I get this is a personal dislike but to put this in perspective as it's a review thread Only Yesterday has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Only Yesterday is also a 90 on Metacritic meaning it's the third highest ranked Ghibli film after Spirited Away (96) and Grave of the Fireflies (94)

So pretty much the polar opposite of Earwig and the Witch when it comes to critical reception.

People have strong responses to Only Yesterday. I liked it fine but my girlfriend hated it so much she was mad at me for taking her to see it for a couple days.

Oct 27, 2017
About where I expected it to land. The awful style and 3D make it a hard barrier of entry to get past and looks like the storytelling struggles as well.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The 3D style looked rough compared to something like Lupin which absolutely nailed it.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly but Hayao wasn't the best father right? Like he invested so much of his life into his craft that he wasn't always there for Goro? Or was it that most of their friction started after Goro was forced into the seat for Earthsea?

Jul 4, 2018
People have strong responses to Only Yesterday. I liked it fine but my girlfriend hated it so much she was mad at me for taking her to see it for a couple days.
I'd say there are quite a few Ghibli films like this, probably Ponyo, Grave of the Fireflies and Porco Rosso for starters.

Also could be from cultural differences as Only Yesterday is a very Japanese drama which is quite unique for an animated movie (or at least was at the time)

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say there are quite a few Ghibli films like this, probably Ponyo, Grave of the Fireflies and Porco Rosso for starters.

Also could be from cultural differences as Only Yesterday is a very Japanese drama which is quite unique for an animated movie (or at least was at the time)

That was the extra funny thing, because while I like anime fine, she was a complete weeaboo when she was younger and was obsessed with various elements of Japanese culture. But I guess farming techniques weren't one of those elements lol

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly but Hayao wasn't the best father right? Like he invested so much of his life into his craft that he wasn't always there for Goro? Or was it that most of their friction started after Goro was forced into the seat for Earthsea?
Pretty evident to me that he's incredibly talented but also kind of an asshole of a dad.

I think it's less that Ghibli allowed it to happen and more that Miyazaki and Takahata just lost any passion they once had for fostering new talent once Kondo died. It very much became a studio just for those two, as Takahata would wind up spending much of his remaining time working on The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and Miyazaki wound up chasing talent away that would eventually make it really big elsewhere, like Hosoda did. Goro always felt like he was caught between a rock and a hard place with how much Suzuki wanted him to carry the flag for the studio, while also having the father that he had, so I have a lot of sympathy for him, even as he may just be the kind of decent talent that really isn't going to turn into the next Miyazaki after all.

I do hope that Ponoc starts working on features again, since their first of hopefully many Modest Heroes anthologies showed that they have some serious talent over there waiting to be unleashed. They may not necessarily get to where Ghibli got to, but I don't think they need to and frankly, it'd be a real shame if they did aspire to be nothing more than Ghibli 2.0.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed it, myself.
The story is entirely faithful to the book (only expanding on it) so blame the anemic story on Wynne Jones, if that's what it is.
It does nothing groundbreaking but it's a great way to spend an hour.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Takahata's work, I consider Only Yesterday to be one of my favorite of all Ghibli movies and his work in tv series like Heidi and Anne is sublime, but the man was probably the main culprit in leading Ghibli into a place that didn't cultivate young talent.

What Suzuki had to say about him just after his death wasn't great to put it mildly. A true shame that because of stuff like this Ghibli is very likely dead as a studio after How Do You Live?

Suzuki characterized Takahata as a person who let work trump everything else even when it "destroyed so many people." Grave of the Fireflies character designer and animation director Yoshifumi Kondō is one such person. Suzuki visited Kondō in Sendai after he had finished work on Whisper of the Heart. They had a two-hour conversation where Kondō told Suzuki that Takahata had "tried to kill him" and that even thinking about Takahata would cause Kondō to tremble.

Kondō fell ill at the age of 47 and died in 1998, after his work on Princess Mononoke. Suzuki, Miyazaki, Takahata, and another animator that Suzuki refers to as "S-san" all attended his cremation. S-san had worked with Takahata and Miyazaki since their time at Toei Animation. During the cremation, Suzuki says that S-san said aloud, "It was Paku-san that killed Kon-chan, wasn't it?" The air in the room froze until Takahata quietly nodded.

According to Suzuki, Miyazaki has claimed that he's the only person to survive Takahata. The studio continued to lose potential artistic successors due to Takahata's work expectations.

Suzuki also described him as someone who never thanked any of the Ghibli staff for their contributions.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will give the movie a shot this weekend, despite the low reviews. It will feel nice to see a new Ghibli movie again. And I'm really hoping Studio Ponoc does have something lined up cause I've enjoyed their work so far

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I love Takahata's work, I consider Only Yesterday to be one of my favorite of all Ghibli movies and his work in tv series like Heidi and Anne is sublime, but the man was probably the main culprit in leading Ghibli into a place that didn't cultivate young talent.

What Suzuki had to say about him just after his death wasn't great to put it mildly. A true shame that because of stuff like this Ghibli is very likely dead as a studio after How Do You Live?

Suzuki characterized Takahata as a person who let work trump everything else even when it "destroyed so many people." Grave of the Fireflies character designer and animation director Yoshifumi Kondō is one such person. Suzuki visited Kondō in Sendai after he had finished work on Whisper of the Heart. They had a two-hour conversation where Kondō told Suzuki that Takahata had "tried to kill him" and that even thinking about Takahata would cause Kondō to tremble.

Kondō fell ill at the age of 47 and died in 1998, after his work on Princess Mononoke. Suzuki, Miyazaki, Takahata, and another animator that Suzuki refers to as "S-san" all attended his cremation. S-san had worked with Takahata and Miyazaki since their time at Toei Animation. During the cremation, Suzuki says that S-san said aloud, "It was Paku-san that killed Kon-chan, wasn't it?" The air in the room froze until Takahata quietly nodded.

According to Suzuki, Miyazaki has claimed that he's the only person to survive Takahata. The studio continued to lose potential artistic successors due to Takahata's work expectations.

Suzuki also described him as someone who never thanked any of the Ghibli staff for their contributions.
I didn't know about all of this, holy shit.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I really love Poppy Hill and enjoy Earthsea. Goro can do it but I cannot imagine the kind of pressure on him