• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
Update: English version/1080p video
Official English version with a few different scenes. Seeing in 1080p definitely improves my impression of the visuals, it's looking good. (there's also a subbed version in the ANN link)

www.animenewsnetwork.com

Ghibli's 1st CG Feature Earwig and the Witch Previews Theme Song in English Video

Kacey Musgraves leads cast, performs “Don't Disturb Me" theme song

Original post:
www.animenewsnetwork.com

Ghibli's 1st CG Feature Earwig and the Witch Previewed in 1st Promo Video

Goro Miyazaki helms anime of novel by Howl's Moving Castle author
NHK posted on Tuesday the first promotional video for Studio Ghibli's first CG feature Earwig and the Witch, Goro Miyazaki's anime adaptation of Diana Wynne Jones' novel of the same name. The two-minute video is streaming on NHK's website.
The 82-minute feature will air on the NHK General channel on Wednesday, December 30 from 7:30 to 8:53 p.m. The Cannes Film Festival chose the feature as part of its Official Selection this year. GKIDS will release the feature in theaters in North America in early 2021.

Link to the video (NHK website)
www6.nhk.or.jp

スタジオジブリ最新作「アーヤと魔女」PV公開! | NHKアニメワールド

\\\\アニトク!スペシャル動画\\スタジオジブリ最新作「アーヤと魔女」PV公開!\\\\\\\\ス.....

Does not look that bad, I was expecting worse. But it's disappointing when you realize this is probably the second to last Ghibli movie.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The art style at times is a spitting image of Naoki Urasawa's art style, I couldn't believe he wasn't attached to the project lol.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not awful (though imo the lighting is too realistic) but it just doesn't hold a candle to their 2D films

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of CG anime, I prefer this over the flat shaded attempts to emulate traditional cell shaded art styles.
This goes far more into a pixar esque feature, which is interesting to see ghibli trying to tackle

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Too bad we can't get this on TV or streaming like they are in Japan, especially considering the state of theaters in the west at the moment.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Doesn't look bad but it feels... off.
I don't want to say lifeless but that's what my brain is making me feel.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
For those who don't know, this is one of two Ghibli films in production. Hayao Miyazaki is working on another hand-drawn feature.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a "Disney Jr." vibe from this. Hoping it's just early and some tweaks will give the animation more depth and vibrancy.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty good! I just feel like it's missing the texture and subtlety of a normal Ghibli film.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I still feel like the most recent Lupin movie has been the most impressive attempt at a CGI film from a Japanese studio. The animation in that trailer is kinda stiff, particularly for a Ghibli movie.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
For a made for TV CG movie, it doesn't look bad but I definitely would have preferred this as a 2D feature. As some have said, it seems Lupin the First is the new gold standard of what CG anime going for that semi-realistic look could/should strive for although that one obviously had a bigger budget than this film.

OP
OP

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
Studio Ghibli halted production when Hayao Miyazaki retired only to return for his new feature and Goro's "Earwig and the Witch". Aside from these two productions we don't know what's in the future for the studio, especially when Miyazaki retires again. Add all that to Isao Takahata passing away and staff moving to form Studio Ponoc. I'll be very glad to be wrong in assuming that these are the last two Ghibli movies.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the CG, but it's definitely missing those little details from their 2D animation.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Lupin is the gold standard for really nailing that 3D 'Anime look', this one looks alittle off?

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
The quality of the CG itself aside, it's bizarre that the animation in a studio Ghibli movie looks soooooo stiff. Is this a completely different team of animators than their usual hand drawn crew?

I would have expected a pixar level of fluidity in the character movements and expressions at least.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't look as bad as I expected but still, gorgeous traditional 2D animation is dealt yet another deathblow.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who only recently game to love the work of Studio Ghibli (they finally put them all on Canadian Netflix) -

I'm not psyched about this at all lol.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
No-Sir-I-Dont-Like-It_o_94050.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Studio Ghibli halted production when Hayao Miyazaki retired only to return for his new feature and Goro's "Earwig and the Witch". Aside from these two productions we don't know what's in the future for the studio, especially when Miyazaki retires again. Add all that to Isao Takahata passing away and staff moving to form Studio Ponoc. I'll be very glad to be wrong in assuming that these are the last two Ghibli movies.

what has Studio Ponoc been up to anyway

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Uh. I mean I'm sure it'll be fun, but the plain shading makes it look like PS2 Rendered cutscenes.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Looks pretty good. I'm liking the new hybrid style we're seeing with Dragon Quest, Lupin and now this. The animation is stiff but the style itself is pretty cool, and since I'm reading it's made for tv I have to imagine the budget is pretty low.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Unimpressed by the animation but the story looks like it will be good. Aya is a cute character and I like that they styled her differently at times. Looking forward to seeing this, but unsurprised to see it's made for TV given the relative lack of quality in the CG. It's a first step for them though so it'll be interesting to see where they go from here with respect to this style.

Earthsea is the only Ghibli I haven't seen since it's universally reviled, lol, but I thought Goro did a nice job with Poppy Hill so I think he's got some talent in him.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really unfinished and has a made for TV kind of look. Is it the shadows? Lack of textures? I cant put my finger on it.

Oct 25, 2017
You know those cheap children youtube videos? Just relaly fucking creepy and weird and wonder wtf is going on with these? Are they brainwashing children?

This reminds me of that.

edit: This

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Why stop making something you are a master to make something that looks exactly like every other damn studio does? I feel dirty for just watching the video. I hope it fails miserably and they come back making their real art.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think the worst thing about the animation is the lip sync, but in general it's not too bad considering it's a relatively low budget film.

It'll be fun I'm sure, but of course Hayao's next film is where my attention is at. It'll be a long time coming, but I can't wait for it.

Why stop making something you are a master to make something that looks exactly like every other damn studio does? I feel dirty for just watching the video. I hope it fails miserably and they come back making their real art.
Hayao Miyazaki is making a new hand drawn feature as we speak.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The animation itself looks pretty good but something just feels off about the characters (outside the creepy tall demon guy who looks fine). They don't look 'plastic' but they don't seem to enough textures to them, maybe? Maybe it's the lighting? It looks like they didn't finish shading them or something.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
I have a kid so I've seen my share of Spirit, Sofia, Elena, Vamprina, Paw Patrol, etc. The animation in all of those is very similar and while this is better, it's not by a ton. It has a very stiff, "lets get this shit done ASAP because kids don't care" kinda feel to it.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It looks very plain.

Has the same sort of basic lighted look as something like Elena/Sophia on Disney Junior. The end result is just...flat.