• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
A former Calgary university student who broke into a professor's home while naked and high on magic mushrooms, beating her badly with a broom handle, has been acquitted with the judge finding that he was intoxicated to the point of automatism.

The judge found Matthew Brown was experiencing delirium and not in control of his actions when he broke into Janet Hamnett's home in January 2018.

With Brown's acquittal on charges of assault with a weapon and break-and-enter, the case is likely the only one in Canada involving a successful defence of extreme intoxication while on magic mushrooms, said prosecutor Matthew Block, who did considerable research ahead of the trial.
Defence lawyer Sean Fagan said this case and his client were unique.

"It stood out in the fact that Matthew Brown is such a kind, non-violent man of integrity and character and for him to be charged with these offences, which were so uncharacteristic for him, he was a pleasure to defend."

Outside the courthouse, Brown reiterated an apology to his victims.

"When I issued that apology during the trial, it came from my heart, and I meant it," said the now 29-year-old man.
"We didn't want him to be severely punished, but we did want accountability," said Lara Unsworth, Hamnett's daughter.

"We wanted a lesson shared with society that it's not OK to get that out of control and to hurt people."

"The person he is and how badly he feels has nothing to do with our disappointment; it's the actions he took and that he's not being held accountable for that, and I think they're two separate things."
In January 2018, he was drinking with some friends in the southwest community of Springbank Hill, near the victim's home.

The friends began taking magic mushrooms. Brown estimated that, over the course of the night, he went back to the sandwich bag of drugs several times, consuming about 2.5 grams.

Brown said he'd done magic mushrooms once before and had a positive experience.

A friend of Brown's, Claire Erickson, testified that Brown didn't seem to be himself that night. Usually the life of the party, he became introverted, quiet and restless. He went to bed twice only to get up and rejoin the group.
Around 3:45 a.m., the group noticed Brown was standing at the front door, naked. Then, he ran out the door.

The friends got bundled up and went looking for Brown, calling 911 as they searched the neighbourhood.

At about 4 a.m., Hamnett — who lived alone — was woken out of a deep sleep to a loud noise followed by a "horrendous explosion," she testified during the trial.

She got out of bed and put on her glasses with the intention of investigating the noise but didn't make it out of the bedroom before a "huge presence" began his attack.
Hamnett was taken to hospital. She had broken bones in one of her hands and both were extremely swollen, cut and bruised.

She was left with a permanent disability in her right hand with stiffness, reduced movement and reduced strength.

Hamnett said getting back to teaching at MRU was an "enormous achievement."

"I will never be the same person that I was before this happened," said Hamnett. "I am changed forever. I am anxious. I fret more. I worry more. It is always with me in some way."
Following a hearing held ahead of the trial, defence lawyer Fagan said his client "did not voluntarily commit these offences" and was allowed to put forward a defence of extreme intoxication to the point of automatism.

During the trial, a doctor who specializes in forensic toxicology said Brown had likely experienced an episode of delirium where he was unaware of his surroundings and may have suffered delusions and hallucinations.

Justice Hollins said she believed the testimony of every witness in the case and that "every material piece of evidence in this case supported a defence of automatism."
The judge could not find Brown had the intent necessary to be convicted of the crimes and said he had "no motive whatsoever to break into [the victims'] homes or to hurt them."

"The facts of this case are very difficult," said Hollins, acknowledging Hamnett and the Varshneys both had "awful" and life-changing experiences.

"It is difficult to tell them the law is not going to hold anyone accountable for that."

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Is this common in Canada and drug-related charges...? You are acquitted of crimes if you're under the influence when you do them? This says this is likely to be the only case related to mushrooms, but has this ever happened with other substances? Why would you establish this precedent? Has it really never happened before?

I'm not sure how I understand how this can be the case.

Last edited:

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lesson Learned. When doing drugs in Canada, go all in so you can escape consequences.

what a crock

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Is this common in Canada and drug-related charges...? You are acquitted of crimes if you're under the influence when you do them? I know it says this is likely to be the only one but... why would you establish this precedent? Has it really never happened before?

Somewhat related:

toronto.citynews.ca

Man Acquitted Of Sleepwalking Murder Running For School Trustee In Durham

Skeletons in the closet are often a concern during political campaigns and the rivals of one candidate vying for a spot on the Durham District School Board won't have to dig to deep to find them. Ken ...

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
That's ridiculous. Take responsibility for being on drugs in the first place.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Hamnett was taken to hospital. She had broken bones in one of her hands and both were extremely swollen, cut and bruised.

She was left with a permanent disability in her right hand with stiffness, reduced movement and reduced strength.
This is grotesque.

If he had been inadvertently drugged it'd be one thing, but he deliberately took those drugs. This verdict is appalling.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Holy shit that sounds like a nightmare.

I had a bad psilocybin trip once and felt "out of my mind" to the point I remember feeling like: "you'd better go in your room and lock the door before this trip takes a turn for the worst and you end up out in the streets doing something you'll regret" and I'm VERY glad I did. It's quite honestly the weirdest feeling/experience I've ever felt in my entire life, bar none. If I ever decided to trip again, I'm making sure I have a trip sitter. I would hate to be in either of these guys' shoes.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Proving motive can be difficult and not all legal systems are the same, I get that, but this really seems like an example of the opposite of accountability.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I get he was probably hallucinating but he should at least be made to pay a fine or something. The victim is now physically disabled thanks to his screw up.

Is this common in Canada and drug-related charges...? You are acquitted of crimes if you're under the influence when you do them? I know it says this is likely to be the only one but... why would you establish this precedent? Has it really never happened before?

Article implies if isn't common.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Not at all sure how I feel about this.

In theory, I guess this is good? If his actions truly had no malicious intent than rehabilitation would be purely about substance abuse and any form of punishment for the assault would just be a case of punishment for punishment's sake. The point of prison and the like is supposed to be rehabilitation after all. I would prefer at least some court mandated rehab and parole and the like.

That being said, I am also deeply uncomfortable with the idea of someone who physically assaulted and permanently injured a person receiving no punishment for that.

Jul 19, 2018

No. 'With Brown's acquittal on charges of assault with a weapon and break-and-enter, the case is likely the only one in Canada involving a successful defence of extreme intoxication while on magic mushrooms'

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Had he taken those some drugs, gotten behind the wheel of a car, and then crashed that car while getting someone hurt, I don't know if this defence would have been accepted to defend a DUI charge.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat related:

toronto.citynews.ca

Skeletons in the closet are often a concern during political campaigns and the rivals of one candidate vying for a spot on the Durham District School Board won't have to dig to deep to find them. Ken ...
And he wasn't sentenced to a psychiatric hospital because he wasn't judged insane.

Instead, in a stunning twist of fate that made headlines around the world, he walked out of the courtroom a free man.
That's nuts.

Parks was put on medication and never had a reoccurrence of his somnambulism.
You don't say...

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
If you take drugs or alcohol willingly, you should be held responsible for all actions taken under the influence for that is the risk, the loss of control.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So, noone is responsible? Really?
I don't understand the difference between this and severely impaired judgment leading to criminal activity due to voluntary alcohol consumption, excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference here?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doing drugs...is a legal defense?

It usually doesn't work but it has been done before even in the US.

Sometimes even for drinking. Usually it would be a case of clear and obvious over service by a bar. Like someone basically fall down/black out drunk still being served more booze.

Sometimes the drunk person who did something illegal gets off because the bar was legally obligated to cut them off and didn't.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
No. 'With Brown's acquittal on charges of assault with a weapon and break-and-enter, the case is likely the only one in Canada involving a successful defence of extreme intoxication while on magic mushrooms'
The context of my question was with substances as a whole, which I apologize for not making more clear. The language there puts the emphasis on mushrooms. I've edited my post for more clarity.

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Christ, I swear the judges in my city take a "boys will be boys" attitude every single time. There's zero accountability here when it comes to violent criminals like this. First the guy who ate another guy's face on a bus now this.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That is crazy, not even no supervised probation ?

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat related:

toronto.citynews.ca

Different, though.
You could argue manslaughter for both, but being under the influence is obviously negligence - sleepwalking isn't

This, though, sounds like a procedural mishap where prosecutors charged him with the wrong crime or something.
Probably caused by the guy being white, rich and a sports hero.

also...
https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/former-mru-hockey-captain-acquitted-of-drug-induced-attack-on-female-professor-in-her-home said:
In a pretrial ruling, another judge determined that a section of the criminal code which prohibited self-induced intoxication as a defence to crimes of violence was unconstitutional.

Outside court, Crown prosecutor Matt Block said an appeal will be considered, especially on the pretrial decision.
This is either getting overturned or going all the way to the supreme court and resulting in some legislatory changes.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get it he broke into some house and beat them after he willing took the mushrooms how isnt ta fault for his own actions that lead to this? What a bunch of bullshit

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
This punishment seems ridiculous, but it sounds like the victim may have been okay with it? At least, judging by the statement from the victim's daughter.

I agree that if you're messed up out of your mind, then you're still responsible for your actions because you're the one who decided to get messed up in the first place.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Dave, just relax, close your buttcheeks. Relax, let me do the talking.

Sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that."

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The state should take full monetary responsibility in compensating the Professor. If the courts are ruling that the defendant was not aware as he committed the crime, and thus the court finds him legally not responsible, than the state better pay the fuck up.

Christ, I swear the judges in my city take a "boys will be boys" attitude every single time. There's zero accountability here when it comes to violent criminals like this. First the guy who ate another guy's face on a bus now this.

The bus guy was put into a mental health facility.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Is this common in Canada and drug-related charges...? You are acquitted of crimes if you're under the influence when you do them? This says this is likely to be the only case related to mushrooms, but has this ever happened with other substances? Why would you establish this precedent? Has it really never happened before?

This is the first I'd heard of it but I'd put this up with PCP if you do ever see another case like this.

2.5G's (just an estimate could have been a lot more) of Shrooms which could potentially be even more then that could seriously fuck you up mentally in that time and just after the fact. Not to mention you're drinking on top of that.

You will hallucinate and if he was naked, sounds like he already had a really bad trip, and nobody tried to stop him. This is what happens when your left to your own devices and tripping balls. Your mind will go flight or fight for hours on end, and basically would require you to be restrained. He most likely expected the one other time doing shrooms he was going to be fine because he "knew" his tolerance.

This is probably the only time you'll ever see someone acquitted for something.

Won't be a get out of jail free card.

Dot-N-Run

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see a situation where this decision wouldn't be brought forth to a higher court, especially considering the self-induced intoxication situation. It will be interesting to check back when everything is settled in who knows how long.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
It's not even like it's just some dumb kid who did this. It's a grown ass man. What a disgusting rule.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder how much mercy the defendant would have gotten if he was black or indigenous.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
Not at all sure how I feel about this.

In theory, I guess this is good? If his actions truly had no malicious intent than rehabilitation would be purely about substance abuse and any form of punishment for the assault would just be a case of punishment for punishment's sake. The point of prison and the like is supposed to be rehabilitation after all. I would prefer at least some court mandated rehab and parole and the like.

That being said, I am also deeply uncomfortable with the idea of someone who physically assaulted and permanently injured a person receiving no punishment for that.

yea I agree with this. A great case where rehabilitation and not punitive incarceration is the answer

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I don't get this ruling at all. If he hit her with his car by accident would he still be getting away with it? No, but breaking and entering followed by a physical beating is somehow not as bad?