• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. - While Pokémon's fictional monsters can't really blow fire or electrocute enemies, in the case of Caleb King, they do hold life-changing powers.

The junior at the University of North Georgia transformed his childhood passion into an investment for eventual medical school, purchasing a series of Pokémon cards as a teen and building on his interest founded as a six-year-old

Right now, King said he has made $80,000 selling cards, after spending a mere $4,000 on the originals – most of which he purchased a few years ago.

King credits this year of isolation for the spike in value.

"People kind of want a distraction from everything that's going on, and I think [Pokémon] is one of the ways people can," King said.

What's more remarkable is King has yet to play his highest value card.

He held up a first edition Red Cheeks Pikachu. "I've seen it sell for $20,000," King said.

He laid out 21 Pokémon cards that he estimates will sell for upwards of $50,000, putting him that much closer to achieving his goal of becoming an orthopedic surgeon.

Video: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/st...them&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I feel that few things serve as better evidence that the free market should not dictate who lives or dies than the fact that you can sell some pokemon cards for more than most people make in a year.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno if that's good but if he is following his dream, I hope it helps him in the long run.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The price of Pokeman cards have skyrocketed. There's been a major resurgence in sports card collecting as well.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If medical school fails this kid, they can always have a side hussle sell trading cards. Very impressive, and it's a good investment (medical school)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
If anyone needs some help with theirs...

www.resetera.com

The classic Pokémon TCG market (1999-2003) is really wild right now. Need help with yours? [Finally cooling down... for now] Nintendo - Entertainment

Welcome one and all! (NOTE: We made this topic during the peak of the price surge and things have calmed down an awful lot now. Many prices have corrected back down and it's not quite the fast money it was a year ago. That doesn't mean there isn't still money to be made, though! Just come in...

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could find mine...me and my brother could get some house downpayments out of our binder maybe, lol

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Good for him. Medical training takes loads of dedication and tolerance for delayed gratification, both of which Caleb is demonstrating here. I wish him the best.

PS If you ever read this, bring this story up on interviews! It is the exact kind of thing that makes applicants memorable when it comes time to rank them for acceptance

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I have an un-opened first generation...well the first decks anyways one of those still un-opened wonder if it's worth something as a whole.

I also have one of them Charizard's as an emergency fund lol

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
It's good he got the money but I always feel kinda bad when people have to part ways with their collection to get a better education.

Dec 31, 2017
Has he even gotten into medical school yet? Because 80k will cover about 1-1.5 years only. I wish I was kidding.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Rarity and condition are critical now. Paying to get cards graded is the only way to get top dollar. PSA 10 make big bucks, lesser grades get significantly less.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Has he even gotten into medical school yet? Because 80k will cover about 1-1.5 years only. I wish I was kidding.
Nope, he's wanting to get into med school eventually

Med school tuition is crazy. Some DO schools in the midwest charge ~$80k for 1 year tuition if you're from out-of-state, IIRC.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cool if he intended to sell them for school in the first place, but honestly really sad if it was just a general investment and he had to sell them to make enough.

Guessing the surge in interest in TCG collection is why I keep on seeing lots of people ask for the value of their honestly... very poor ygo cards as if even a single bit of edge wear doesn't knock down the value.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Man, if I could tell myself back in 1996 to start collecting cards since they'll be work a fortune later...

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents threw out all my cards from the late 90's. I had a fucking holographic charizard and the movie exclusive ancient mew

Nov 5, 2017
That's wild. It sucks he needed to sell them to fund medical school but good for him getting one hell of a return on his investment.

My stepson is buying up current Pokémon cards left and right these days. Here's hoping they amount to something 20 years from now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
4000 into 80k? That is hell of a return.

Manmademan laughs everytime I bring up my chromium #1 Ravage 2099

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
cries in medical school tuition
3269.jpg

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Cool story. Will help him be a bit more "unique" when it comes to getting in to school, but if he really didn't want to sell them, he should have just kept them and got a loan. Banks/loan companies LOVE giving loans to future doctors because unfortunately they make enough essentially life-time guaranteed money to always pay their monthly fees, but not usually enough money to just pay the whole thing off quickly because by the time you reach that kind of income you have kids, spouses, mortages, etc... to pay for.

$80k is peanuts unfortunately. It will cover two years for an in-state public medical school (at least in California).

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, that's impressive. It seems like everyone is selling Pokemon cards these days. I wonder if the market is going to be flooded? If you have good cards you better get rid of them before the market bottoms out.