• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
It's Scotland not America. Whilst I have no doubt that a lower class black kid would have faced a penalty, this is absolutely more a class thing than anything else. He's from a well off middle class family studying dentistry. If he was from an estate on job seekers allowance he's be going to prison for many years.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if theres any justice, he will not be having a good time at a dental school. assuming they keep him in anyway

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
uhhhhhhh.

Maybe there's a specific reason paedophiles can't be dentists. I genuinely can't believe this could happen in the UK.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Love these comments. Yes, I should have added rich as a qualifier (although not really, white men always get away with bullshit), but his race ABSOLUTELY plays a part.
And before anyone says it: The UK absolutely has an issue with bigotry and racism. Just because it isn't the US doesn't mean racial biases don't exist within European communities.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
And before anyone says it: The UK absolutely has an issue with bigotry and racism. Just because it isn't the US doesn't mean racial biases don't exist within European communities.
Haven't you heard, though? Racism is an American thing. Actually, I shouldn't be flippant. I appreciate you saying this, because I'm sick of seeing that sentiment everywhere whenever it's a thread outside of the US.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
"Well... I guess a thirteen year old shouldn't have his life-"

"He's eighteen."

"..."

But yeah, while I think the lifetime registry is a huge problem, this kid should not have gotten away so lightly. At the very least, he should have been placed on it for a few years and been barred from working with kids for life.
Well, just to note, he wasn't 18 when he did the acts, that's how old he is now. The courts are usually lenient on people who weren't adults when they committed their crimes.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I heard about this a few days ago. Glad it got out, sounded pretty shocking when I was told. I guess the mother won't be enjoying her job much longer, I'll just leave it at that.

edit - oh, that got out too.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Who said Scotland didn't have it's own issues with race? I can't say he didn't benefit from being one of the 90 percent of white people in our country but I can absolutley say he benefited from his class.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait are you serious?

This is more classism than anything, most people in Scotland are white. But if this was Tony from the council estate on jobseekers, the judge would be locking him away for as long as possible.

g2TCqGB.png

By middle-class, it'll probably be reasonably well off Tory parents, one above who is named as a teacher, and they'll be pulling out all the stops and proclaiming their high-grade achieving dentistry student needs a "second chance".

After sexually assaulting a 6-8 year old... And he's in dentistry which involves working with children. Absolutely mental.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't you heard, though? Racism is an American thing. Actually, I shouldn't be flippant. I appreciate you saying this, because I'm sick of seeing that sentiment everywhere whenever it's a thread outside of the US.
Right? Things would be a lot easier for black and brown people across the world if the only people guilty of persecuting us were limited to one continent.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Full Ruling said:
At Dumbarton Sheriff Court, Sheriff Gerard Sinclair discharged absolutely Christopher Daniel after he was found guilty of sexual assault.

Circumstances of the offence

The circumstances of the offence were that the family of the complainer was friendly with that of the accused, and would visit each other from time to time. During visits the complainer liked playing with the accused, who had a computer in his room. When they played on the computer she would often sit on the accused's knee. Several times during visits he touched her on her vagina, placing his hand over her vaginal area. His hand was cupped and he would press it against that area. Whenever he did this she had clothes on, either leggings or tights or pants.

The complainer's father described the accused as an intelligent, but quiet boy who seemed very young and immature. In the course of a meeting between the complainer's mother, the accused's parents and the accused, he initially denied, but later admitted, his actions. The complainer's parents agreed not to contact the police at that time understanding that the accused was to obtain professional help, to which he was agreeable. However, subsequently believing that he was backtracking on, and changing the nature of, his admissions they decided to contact the police.

Sheriff's disposal
The Sheriff considered all the relevant factors, including the nature of the offence, the impact on the victim and others affected by the case and the particular circumstances of the accused.

As to the circumstances of the offence, the Sheriff considered that the actions, occurring on more than one occasion could not be classed as spontaneous. However, there had been no attempt to escalate the nature of the offending. In light of the evidence as to the immaturity of the accused, and the nature of the discussion during which he admitted his actions, the Sheriff considered the offence to be the result of an entirely inappropriate curiosity of an emotionally naive teenager rather than for the purpose of sexual gratification. The accused had appeared both noticeably immature and socially awkward, features confirmed by other evidence in the case. It was fortunate that the complainer appeared to have suffered no injury or long lasting effects.

It was clear that the complainer's family held no ill will against the accused's family. They indicated in their evidence that they were not seeking any form of retribution. Their main focus appeared to be a wish to have the accused admit his culpability and address his behaviour. The accused's family were clearly a caring and supportive one who the sheriff considered would, in light of his verdict, wish to provide whatever support was necessary for their son.

The accused was a 17 year old, first offender. He had suffered considerable opprobrium, having been temporarily suspended from his university course. Since the matter had come to light, the accused had suffered seizures and had been diagnosed with epilepsy. During the trial he presented as someone who, with appropriate support and guidance, could become a valuable contributor to society. The Sheriff considered it unlikely that he would ever appear in court as an accused again. Any recorded conviction for this offence would have serious consequences in terms of the accused`s future career. On the authorities, this was also a relevant factor in deciding how to deal with the case. Any sentence would mean that he would probably be unable to continue his university course. The notification requirements of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 would automatically apply to a conviction for this offence unless an absolute discharge was granted.

Considering all of these factors, the Sheriff reached the conclusion that justice could be served in this case by taking the wholly exceptional decision not to pass sentence and to grant an absolute discharge

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking pedophile.
"curiosity" fuck that noise. Fuck the incompetent judge who came to this conclusion.
"About concern for his future carreer" WTF. WHO CARES ? HE'S A FUCKIN PEDO RAPIST.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
If this had been a Glaswegian Pakistani lad, he would of ending up in prison for sure. Which is the correct ruling. Race and/or class do have impacts in the inequality of judgements given by judges. Even in Scotland.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Sheriff Gerard Sinclair concluded that the offence was "the result of an entirely inappropriate curiosity of an emotionally naive teenager rather than for the purpose of sexual gratification".

He molested a 6 yo child

There's absolutely no excuse why this guy is not in jail and on the sex offenders list!!

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, just to note, he wasn't 18 when he did the acts, that's how old he is now. The courts are usually lenient on people who weren't adults when they committed their crimes.

The Age of Legal Capacity (Scotland) Act 1991 (c.50) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom applicable only in Scotland which replaced the pre-existing rule of pupillage and minority with a simpler rule that a person has full legal capacity, with some limitations, at the age of 16[1].

The age of consent is also 16 in Scotland.

In Scotland, the age of consent is 16 for sex whether straight (guy on girl) or gay (guy on guy or girl on girl). If either person is under 16, then the person over 16 is breaking the law.

He was over the age of consent, will have had high school sex education, and was sexually assaulting a minor.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the family can get this challenged because letting someone who's happy to take advantage of children train to work in a field where he could be around vunerable children on a daily basis is all kinds of fucked. I'm quite ignorant on our court system though.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the family can get this challenged because letting someone who's happy to take advantage of children train to work in a field where he could be around vunerable children on a daily basis is all kinds of fucked.

Reading the report above, it doesn't look like the victims family wanted him to be punished - merely admit that he had done it and then get help.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow how infuriating. Coddling a pedophile so he can have access to future victims and hide his crimes better now. Disgusting how they didn't even put him on a probation.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
Obviously the kid is an utter shithead and should feel ashamed but even the judge who gave the reason as "to protect his future career" should feel utterly scummy and ashamed themselves. What is the point in even having a law if its this easy to go round it with no consequences. Horrific.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There HAS to be corruption at place here. I can't pathom how this went down the way it did without there being some motherfucker who filled his pockets.
Hey I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you both.
I think you can keep that bridge, because this happened in Scotland. This is not about institutionalized racism. It's about class, plain and simple.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Surprised he was "just" a dental student and not a star quartetback of a stupid high school football team.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the report above, it doesn't look like the victims family wanted him to be punished - merely admit that he had done it and then get help.

That should at least be court mandated therapy or something. Get the kid some form of help if that's what they were asking for instead of just doing nothing.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Consequences for your actions should be the standard for everyone, not something that doesn't matter to a select few based on certain privileges. Even if the family didn't want him to serve a prison sentence, at the very least there needs to be a lengthy community service sentence where hopefully at the end of it he understands and regrets the harm he caused.

Obivously that is probably naive but this case is unacceptable. I would not want that judge anywhere near anything if that's his outlook on offences.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
HE'S AN ADULT. Fuck this shit. His name is already in the news. Hope he drowns in shame.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
no one in their right mind is going to hire this dude for anything
it's infuriating that this decision was even made by the system though