• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Granted she's talking about the woman they hired to play Aunt Jemima, not the character herself

en.m.wikipedia.org

Nancy Green - Wikipedia

But I will assume Nancy Green was treated with the utmost levels of respect by her employers and absolutely accomplished everything she wanted to in America with no struggles ah that classic American dream.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The American Dream: dying a poor, corporate mascot while your image becomes one of the nation's most recognizable brands.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She's a self-proclaimed "truth seeker" and "free thinker" who works for Charlie Kirk's Turning Point USA.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody I work with just yesterday said, why did they have to get rid of Aunt Jemima? Why can't they just leave things how they are? I really wanted to say something but it kind of hurt just leaving that one alone.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I totally don't understand why the fuck there's college/University students who are Trump supporters/Republicans, like WTF...
The organization behind this hitler youth student rally is a joke. A $10M joke funded by conservative billionaires.
With the Phoenix event, which was organized by Turning Point Action, a group chaired by Trump ally Charlie Kirk...
www.thedailybeast.com

Conservative Campus Org Turning Point USA ‘Rife’ With Racism, Possibly Illegal Campaign Activity

“I hate black people. Like f*ck them all,” one ex-staffer wrote in a series of texts.
www.salon.com

How a "diaper protest" imploded a conservative student group

Meet Turning Point USA, an astroturf right-wing student group that became the butt of the joke
www.chronicle.com

Leaked Memo From Conservative Group Cautions Students to Stay Away From Turning Point USA

Young America’s Foundation warned that “the long-term damage TPUSA could inflict on conservative students and the Conservative Movement can no longer be ignored.”
www.motherjones.com

Pro-Trump student group funded by billionaires heroically turns down bailout money

Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk insists, "Big government still sucks."
mediabiasfactcheck.com

Turning Point USA - Bias and Credibility

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no

From the mind that brought us:

Wx0xaJU.png

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Honestly, what the student said was dumb, but the OP title is a made up quote. The student clearly states that Nancy Green was the picture of the American Dream, not Aunt Jemima.

We don't need to falsify quotes to make it look worse than it is. It's bad as-is.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping a speaker brings up Uncle Ruckus and his terribly reverse vitiligo. There is a real American dream!

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Oh dear god... I thought from the title that it was going to be some dumbass racist from the audience interviewed...

Nope! It's one of the student speakers.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Granted she's talking about the woman they hired to play Aunt Jemima, not the character herself

en.m.wikipedia.org

Nancy Green - Wikipedia

But I will assume Nancy Green was treated with the utmost levels of respect by her employers and absolutely accomplished everything she wanted to in America with no struggles ah that classic American dream.
Yeah, she specifically mentions Nancy Green, which means it's not as stupid as it could be.

NPR had a good story about Nancy Green a few days ago.

Nancy Green was able to take the money she made from being the face of Aunt Jemima and put it back into her community, helping found the oldest active Black Baptist church in Chicago. But she's also buried in an unmarked grave. There's a lot more to reckon with if we want to actually celebrate her life and contributions.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
she was a freed slave who was hired to portray a "mammy figure" for the World's Fair, make pancakes and tell happy stories about the old South? The gave her a "lifetime contract" whatever that means, but she was still a domestic worker till the end of her life.

That sounds like an American Dream alright...

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Aunt Jemima (that is her real name, right?) was a real trooper. Forged from the fires of our own fuckery and hatred, she gained her freedom and went on to be distilled down into nothing more than the racist mascot of a fake maple syrup. I tell ya, that's America right there."

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I thought higher education would cause people to not be conservatives.
I never got this line of thinking, even before Trump. There are so many conservative presidents, politicians, writers, thinkers etc. with impressive resumes and education (many of those legitimately acquired).

CIA, FBI, and other conservative fascist organizations are all stacked with elite Ivy League grads and generally smart people. CIA was essentially founded by the Yale elite.

Sure these kids and MAGA types are dumb but yeah let's not assume going to college does anything. Especially if you got college in the south.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never got this line of thinking, even before Trump. There are so many conservative presidents, politicians, writers, thinkers etc. with impressive resumes and education (many of those legitimately acquired).

CIA, FBI, and other conservative fascist organizations are all stacked with elite Ivy League grads and generally smart people. CIA was essentially founded by the Yale elite.

Sure these kids and MAGA types are dumb but yeah let's not assume going to college does anything. Especially if you got college in the south.

That's very depressing to me. I feel like the U.S needs more progressive mindsets in order for our nation to progress than keeping the status quo or even worse, continually regress.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Well college certainly does educate people, even if not always. There is a reason that educated White people, and especially highly educated White people lean majorly Left.

But yeah it's not correct to assume it always does or assume it's just stupid or uneducated people that are Republicans. People weigh things, and ultimately decide their own selfish goals are more important than society at large or even reality.

Looking at fucking Barr and Turtle Man. Neither are stupid, just corrupt as all hell.

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
Totally want someone to ask Trump about this.

Q: What do you have to say about the overreach of liberal cancel culture and the way it has removed important African-American role models, like Aunt Jemima, from the public eye?

A: ...

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
College can't fix stupid. I mean fucking Trump went to college, even.

If you're deadset on just having your parents buy you through to a diploma without learning anything on the way, you indeed won't.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Cultists have a tendency to listen and believe anything that is told to them by one of their own.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The epitome of the argument of "working for exposure."

except, like, even worse somehow.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017

Eh, I'd wager a good number of conservatives' degrees are practically bought.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sadly there's a not insignificant amount of white people in America that believe the highest achievement for a black person is to serve them food.

FOH.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
$20 says she often complains that white people aren't given enough credit for freeing the slaves.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Advocating Doxxing
Hypothetically speaking, can we dox this person? Not that I would but if we hypothetically could out her and limit her future employment how would we go about finding out who she is? Asking for a friend researching racists and hypothetical stuff

$20 says she often complains that white people aren't given enough credit for freeing the slaves.

Not freeing, feeding. Whites we're saving starving Africans, dummy!

Oct 25, 2017
I thought higher education would cause people to not be conservatives.
It depends what you study. It depends whether you're an oppositional shithead who is committed to pushing back against "liberal bias" in academia. College republicans are definitely a type and likely resistant to the liberalizing power of education. I think it's still fair to say that education broadly has a liberalizing effect on people who are not already committed to being pricks. Like, if you go into college without any particular political viewpoint, and you study humanities, you will probably come out more liberal than you started.