• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, i am hoping someone could give me a few tips.

I recently bought an RTX 3080 and a 144Hz monitor to go along with it. It's been mind blowing and it made games that i play semi competitively such as Overwatch a lot better for me, it's almost as if i was training with 50KG shoes for the longest time and that weight was took off and my skill just sky rocketed.

On the other hand, i also have a 65 inch TV in the living room where i also play (I have my PC connected to the bedroom monitor, as well as the TV in the living room) and it's making it really hard to enjoy. I was just trying Borderlands 3 there and it felt like i was playing at 20FPS despite the FPS counter telling me i was at 150+

It's upsetting me a lot because i love spending time in the living room playing in comfort, often with my wifey but now it will feel unbearable. My first thought was to sell the 144Hz monitor and go back to my 60Hz one, but after trying to play Overwatch for a little while at 60Hz i just can't do it anymore.

Has anyone else had this issue ? How did you cope with it ?

I would love nothing but to be able to go between both of them without it affecting me to much.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah high framerate gaming is epic. I have an lg c9 and an lg gl850 ips lcd and lately i play more on the lcd since i can get native rez 1440p and 144hz on a lot of games. 4k120 is harder to reach

also made a thread about it

but a lot of people will tell you youre wrong and theres barely any difference :)

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Welcome to the party. Going back to low refresh rate hurts. You could look into getting a higher refresh rate TV next.

OP
OP
Vaskie

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
We just got our TV a little while ago, we couldn't even begin to start thinking about getting a new TV just because i can't get used to 60Hz again.

I am hoping that there is something i could do to get used to it again. One specific issue i was having with FPS games specifically was that i couldn't concentrate on anything as i was moving, while with 144Hz i can focus my eyes a lot easier.

It's almost like my vision is a lot worse and i can't focus on things if that makes any sense ?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of those who isn't bothered by this. I game on my PC at 144fps and right next to it is a Sony 4K where I'm now playing Animal Crossing at 30fps. Not a "struggle" whatsoever. If maybe I was going from Overwatch on PC to it on Switch directly, OK, maybe, but when is that ever going to be the case?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
One specific issue i was having with FPS games specifically was that i couldn't concentrate on anything as i was moving, while with 144Hz i can focus my eyes a lot easier.
It's almost like my vision is a lot worse and i can't focus on things if that makes any sense ?
Yeah, that's 60Hz for you.
It's the reason why I haven't upgraded my TV from a 2010 model yet, and why I stopped using it for gaming a long time ago. I saw no point in spending more money on 4K, HDR etc when it was still locked to 60Hz.
I only bought that TV back in 2010 because my last (22") CRT monitor died, and I couldn't find a suitable replacement.
I held on that long because I couldn't stand how flat panel TVs handled motion (yes, even Panasonic/Pioneer plasmas).

It's only been since the launch of the 30-series GPUs this year that 4K120 VRR has finally been possible, and I'm probably going to wait for next year's TVs in the hope that they've ironed out most of the current issues with them.
I'd likely have bought one of the smaller CX OLEDs this year if I could have got hold of a PS5 though.

Enabling motion interpolation can help, since most TVs should interpolate to 120 FPS at their smoothest setting; but there's usually too much latency, and camera movements are too erratic, for it to work well with games.
If your TV has a black frame insertion option, that may work; but many implementations are poor, and you didn't specify what TV it is that you have.

camac002

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of those who isn't bothered by this. I game on my PC at 144fps and right next to it is a Sony 4K where I'm now playing Animal Crossing at 30fps. Not a "struggle" whatsoever. If maybe I was going from Overwatch on PC to it on Switch directly, OK, maybe, but when is that ever going to be the case?
Yep same. Reading this thread, it sounds absolutely nightmarish to be sensitive to the framerate to such an extent. Instant toggling from 144 to 60 on my pc, or testing out 120 to 60 on the ps5...yes of course it's less smooth, but I think about it for a couple of seconds then move on. For me, absolutely nothing like going from 60 to 30.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Vaskie I see you said borderlands was hitting 150fps, you should be v-syncing that to 60fps or it will feel stuttery and jerky on any tv that is not using VRR.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have a tcl 6 65" 4K/60hz with my Series X and a 27" 1440p/144hz LG with my 3080 and the Series X feels so sluggish comparing Warzone. I tried to convince my gf we should sell it and get the CX oled but it's not working out for me lol

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Same.

Might be a type of game thing though. I play nearly all shooters on PC. Most action and racing games too.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Gaming at 60 hz feels like shit after playing at 144 hz on my monitor, weird thing is I can play at 30 hz with no problems on my TV, even after playing at 60 hz on the same display.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming at 60 hz feels like shit after playing at 144 hz on my monitor, weird thing is I can play at 30 hz with no problems on my TV, even after playing at 60 hz on the same display.
Your brain has already separated what should be movie-like and game-like motion. So for you 60 hz is stuck in no man's land now.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
play competitive and online shoters games on 144hz
and single player games on your 60hz tv
and better to get LG CX tv if you want better experience in frame rate

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Make sure you use game mode or whatever setting your tv has to reduce lag. The reduction in responsiveness after moving from a high refresh screen is often what causes that sluggish feel.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Controllers are not nearly as responsive as a mouse so low frame rates are more tolerable using those. Could also be motion blur or some such.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Never go back to a 60Hz monitor. I can't even fathom that.

Use v-sync on your TV, it may help it feel more fluid until you can get a higher refresh rate set.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Does your TV have a black frame insertion mode? That will give you the same motion resolution as 120hz in 60hz games and night bridge the gap a little for you if you don't mind the hit to peak brightness.

Won't help with input lag and animation smoothness though.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It's really funny. Yesterday I was trying out the 120fps mode that Halo MCC recently got on Series X, and at first I thought it wasn't working because I could still "see" the frames.

Then I switched to 60fps and it became way more notable.

Conclusion: can't wait for 240Hz to become a thing.