• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Moon is my first Pokemon and at first, I was really enjoying it. Now, after 30 hours of playing, I am bored by it. I just do not relate to the game at all. Am I playing this game wrongly? There's no challenge.

There's no apparent consequence or incentive to catch Pokemon. I still don't understand what Zygarde is even if I have religiously collected every one I have found. I don't understand how to hatch eggs.

I don't understand how to make Pokemon make a baby. My starter is too powerful. I can't even catch wild Pokemon because I KO them in one hit. The story, if there is any, has completely flown past me. I don't know what my motivations are and it still feels like "my first day". 30 hours and I feel like I am still playing a tutorial.

A friend of mine suggested I play ORAS instead. I looked around online on other communities I'm part of and someone said I should just jump straight to Black 2 and White 2 while a third one highly recommends that I get LGPE and forget about everything from before.

I have no way of knowing anymore which Pokemon is for me because when I looked at videos and reviews of Moon, it seemed like something I would enjoy. I was so excited but now, I almost regret my purchase and it sucks. It could be that Pokemon just isn't for me. I either suck at it or don't quite understand how to play it.

Still, I want to give this series a proper chance before I throw in the towel. What would your advice be to me? Should I jump onto a new Pokemon game, if yes, which one? Should I begrudgingly beat Moon, then Sun and quit Pokemon? Should I just go all in on LGPE and start my journey anew from there? Should I wait for the next one instead?

EDIT: HGSS is too expensive for me (almost $400 on Amazon). B2W2 is a sequel to BW from what I gather and I would need all 4 to get the full experience. It's a tough sale. ORAS seems well within my budget as does one copy of LGPE.
Also, ERA has been kind enough to tell me that the incentive of catching Pokemon is just that. I was honestly looking for external motivation like great plot, character development etc. I have also come to the realization that given my options, I should not rely on story for these games.

With that said, here is what I am going to do.

1. I am going to beat Moon and Sun but this time, catch every sucker out there but switch it up a little - turn off EXP share, use weaker teams etc
2. I am willing to give LGPE (one of them for now) a try because apparently the chaining mechanic is rewarding. I will have to decide on Eevee or Pikachu for my first one.
3. Afterwards, maybe I will give ORAS a go.

Thanks for your input, ERA.

EDIT: I am an idiot. ( ._.) I am such an idiot hahahahaha. So I bought both Sun and Moon because I thought they were completely two different games just in the same universe but then there is this post below. My goodness, I feel so foolish. I was secretly hoping that Sun "gets better" LOL. This is so embarrassing.

wait a second i just realized something

did you buy both Sun and Moon?
there is no reason to play both sun and moon, pokemon games come in set of 2 where the 2 games are nearly the same except for the legendary and some pokemon which are exclusive, BUT you can trade with someone else for the pokemon you would be missing.

so yeah dont play both sun and moon. Ultra sun and ultra moon are more like enhanced/better versions of Sun and moon. Black and White have an special case where B2 and W2 are direct sequels but even then you would only play one of them and maybe its sequel if you want more, but not play all 4

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't like pokemon and that's okay, don't even do let's Go, just hit up the phone game for free.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a simiar boat. I played some of Sun but I didn't feel any sort of connection, as if I was just doing repetitive tasks without much meaning or interesting motivations. I played Let's Go more because capturing Pokémon is more fun, the graphics are finally solid and in general it's a pretty wholesome game, but again I feel like I'm just pushing through repetitive motions for tons of hours without much of a challenge or meaning behind it all. I know much of Pokémon is in the endgame and that is where the challenges arrive too, but when reaching it requires a lot of busywork which I could spend playing a lot of better games, I have a hard time pushing forward for long.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I find Moon well packed Pk experience.
I usually enjoy Pk just to catch new Pk and try them in my teams... on Single player it was never challenging as a series, just the last battles will be more challenging, but overall is a pretty easy series.
The story in Moon is quite ok compared to other games of the series, so overall you probably just dont like the concept.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
You played 30 hours, sounds like you enjoyed most of that. I think it's fine to put the game down without beating it or anything like that.

I'd take a long break before jumping into another Pokémon game. They're formulaic and iterative, which means you'll mostly find more of the same.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
You should have played Heart Gold / Soul Silver as your first Pokemon game.
SM/USUM are easily the worst Pokemon games.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, you might just not be a fan of the concept.

After getting really burnt out and not liking ORAS, I decided to pick up Ultra Sun, and I've been loving my time with it, it might be my second favorite after HGSS. Story is pretty great as far as Pokemon is concerned, I think the characters/enemy team is pretty entertaining, and some of the totem pokemon present some difficulty, at least for me.

You can try Let's Go. It is distinctly made for people new to the series. From what I've seen and understand, your starter is quite powerful in that one and the game seems fairly easy, so it won't solve your issue with that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd go with HeartGold/SoulSilver, or Black and White, for your first. I wouldn't recommend any of the 3DS ones as your first, especially if you're an adult. The ugly visuals alone are enough to leave a bad impression.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely try Let's Go, it sounds like it is far more up your alley. For what it's worth, I think Sun/Moon are the worst games in the series.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
I think pokemon is not for you, thats not a problem.

If you think its too easy you can try to restart your game and turn off exp share and change battle style on options to "set" so you dont have a free switch after KOing a digimon. You can also try to make a run using nuzlocke rules by itself or the options before but maybe not. Pokemons that are harder are Black/White and Platinum.

About breeding you need to research about egg groups...or just find a ditto, they are at route 10, to hatch a egg go to the "ranch like" city and at the front of the daycare there are a spot that you can use your ride pokemon and keep doing a 360 with your analog...but dont murder it haha, find a good pace(tl;dr you just need to keep walking in the game, using ride pokemon is faster). If you are too strong well try buying some of the best pokeballs and throw it and hope for the best, save before so you can retry if you waste a lot.

Sun and Moon is really easy to burn out on because the pacing is screwed with too many instances of the game stopping you for a tutorial or a cutscene. I would reccomend trying ORAS or Black and White 2 if your willing to go as far back as the DS era titles.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this is how I feel every time I play a Pokémon game, but only after a couple hours.

I grew up playing Pokémon. I have a lotta nostalgia for the series. Every game I've played in my adult years has felt far too easy and far too boring.

I don't know that there's a solution to your problem other than maybe trying gimmick runs.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I found the only real way to subvert the lack of challenge in Pokemon is to implement personal limitations and 'rules' that don't exist in game to help.

Permanent-death and limiting your captures to one Pokemon per zone is a good start(popular rules from fan created Nuzlocke challenge ruleset. Look it up). But really the idea is to create a connection with your team and concern over every hit and potential KO, including your starter.

There is no threat if you can willfully revive everyone freely or have a rotating army on hand to take on a select few of underpowered foes against trainers. Buuuuut when you are beholden to only a small handful of Pokémon that cannot revive or be easily replaced...then suddenly every considered attack you make and every weakness becomes a liability. And boy do you feel the pain of losing a family member when one faints and you are forced to willfully remove them from your team forever(create a graveyard box at the poke bank).

Try it out, though not sure how well it works in recent games, but in older titles like B/W and Gold/Silver, it was the only way to eke out any thrills.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Don't listen to people saying Pokémon just isn't for you, OP. That might end up being the case, but that's too hard to tell after just playing Sun/Moon, two incredibly boring games. If you're still curious enough to care, pick up one of the DS games, preferably HG/SS. Much more challenge there.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The story, if there is any, has completely flown past me.
Did you actually play far into it?

It's odd you can say that considering one of the major complaints is that there are too many cutscenes shoving the story down your throat :p Are you just hammering the A button to get past dialogue?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It being the only thing you can do isn't a good thing. If the op doesn't like Moon for being too easy with a bad story, and not caring about catching, Let's Go is the obvious opposite game for them.

What ? Did you even played the game ? A lot of people, including myself, were catching way more Pokemon in this game because it is way more rewarding.

Mexen regarding Let's Go, from someone that played both games, here are the comparision with the points you mentionned :

- There is incentive to catch Pokemon. By catching, you earn significant XP and items. By chaining (capturing the same Pokemon in a row), you also increase the odds of Rare Pokemon to appear, among other things that were present in past versions (like Shiny).
- If your starter was powerful in S/M, it would be even worse in LG. Difficulty can be present but as a lot of Pokemon game it is self-inflicted.
- LG is way way more better paced than S/M but also shorter. You won't feel like being in a tutorial for hours, the game lets you play right away.
- Story is very basic in LG. You just follow your own journey to become Pokemon League Champion.
- Content wise, LG is streamlined. No eggs, less Pokemons compared to S/M.

Hope it'll help.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
- There is incentive to catch Pokemon. By catching, you earn significant XP and items. By chaining (capturing the same Pokemon in a row), you also increase the odds of Rare Pokemon to appear, among other things that were present in past versions (like Shiny).
In Pokémon Sun & Moon, you earn significant XP by catching Pokémon. By chain defeating them after they call for help, you also have a chance of rare Pokémon to appear and other things including Shinies

Let's not act like that aspect is new to Let's Go

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
A lack of challenge is common in Pokémon titles. I like to impose some rules of my own to keep bump up the difficulty, but you'll be working on the honour system to adhere to them. What I like to do is retire my highest level Pokémon after each milestone, such as a Gym badge in the older titles, or a Trial in Sun/Moon. I dedicated a page in my PC Box to the retirement retirement home, and I didn't take anyone out until I entered the post-game. It's the way I keep myself from clinging to a set party from beginning to end. I also have a PC Box dedicated to being a graveyard as well, where I deposit any Pokémon that faint. When I played Sun and Moon, I agreed upon around 20 of such rules in the end with a friend, and had the best time with Pokémon we've had in over a decade. Most of these rules won't really make sense unless you're pretty familiar with all the mechanics in the franchise though, so I wouldn't go overboard at first.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, you might just not be a fan of the concept.

After getting really burnt out and not liking ORAS, I decided to pick up Ultra Sun, and I've been loving my time with it, it might be my second favorite after HGSS. Story is pretty great as far as Pokemon is concerned, I think the characters/enemy team is pretty entertaining, and some of the totem pokemon present some difficulty, at least for me.

You can try Let's Go. It is distinctly made for people new to the series. From what I've seen and understand, your starter is quite powerful in that one and the game seems fairly easy, so it won't solve your issue with that.
Ultra sun/moon bumped up the difficulty a little bit, compared to the originals.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
In Pokémon Sun & Moon, you earn significant XP by catching Pokémon. By chain defeating them after they call for help, you also have a chance of rare Pokémon to appear and other things including Shinies

Let's not act like that aspect is new to Let's Go

Significant XP ?

The balance has been completely changed in LG. You XP better by catching than fighting trainers. It was not the case in S/M as far as I recall.

Would you at least agree that the process is more intuitive in Let's Go ? The rewards are more apparent ?

Oct 30, 2017
You got further into Sun/Moon than I did. I bailed once I realised the game was going to keep interrupting me every 30 seconds

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Did you actually play far into it?

It's odd you can say that considering one of the major complaints is that there are too many cutscenes shoving the story down your throat :p Are you just hammering the A button to get past dialogue?

I honestly do not know how long I have until the game ends so I don't know what it means when you ask if I actually played far into it. However, I have played it for just over 30 hours. In most cases, that's a long time. At least, long enough for a story line to be fleshed out. With Moon though, I can honestly say that I have not been engrossed by it to remember it. I also have not skipped any dialogue. I do enjoy my Team Skull encounters though.

EDIT: I checking serebii.net. Don't know what I will find but I think it will have some information that could be useful to me. I am glad you commented, probably would not have found your site otherwise.

What ? Did you even played the game ? A lot of people, including myself, were catching way more Pokemon in this game because it is way more rewarding.

Mexen regarding Let's Go, from someone that played both games, here are the comparision with the points you mentionned :

- If your starter was powerful in S/M, it would be even worse in LG. Difficulty can be present but as a lot of Pokemon game it is self-inflicted.
- LG is way way more better paced than S/M but also shorter. You won't feel like being in a tutorial for hours, the game lets you play right away.
- Story is very basic in LG. You just follow your own journey to become Pokemon League Champion.
- Content wise, LG is streamlined. No eggs, less Pokemons compared to S/M.

Hope it'll help.

Appreciate this, thanks. You know, reading ERA's comments has been very helpful. It seems as though that the very concept of "Catch them all" is what I am misaligned with. I do not want to sound pretentious but maybe if Moon had a strong story, I would have been more invested. Just catching Pokemon to fill a Pokedex feels like a chore in and of itself. Regarding your comment, I can appreciate the chaining aspect of it to get items and rare Pokemon. Perhaps it's something I should begin to do in Moon (I have seen your exchange with Lelouch0612 and it appears that while not as refined as LGPE, chaining still exists in Moon but it's something I have neglected)

Yeah, I'd go with HeartGold/SoulSilver, or Black and White, for your first. I wouldn't recommend any of the 3DS ones as your first, especially if you're an adult. The ugly visuals alone are enough to leave a bad impression.

You should have played Heart Gold / Soul Silver as your first Pokemon game.
SM/USUM are easily the worst Pokemon games.

I am looking at HGSS videos on YouTube and reading old reviews. I like the art style so far.

EDIT: $380 for a DS game is far more money than I would ever, ever spend. Thanks for the recommendation but I will pass on this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
If you like the catching Pokémon aspect and want story then I recommend you to play Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. That game is amazing.
Really?
Digimon is a series I am even more detached from. I watched maybe 10 minutes of one episode when I was a kid and that was it. The only reason I know it was Digital Monsters is because a kid at school sang the opening theme song during play time back in 3rd or 4th grade.

I would be a completely new comer.

Does that matter with this entry? Do I need to stream some seasons of the show first or play previous entries before indulging in this one?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
HGSS is worth how the fuck much now? Brb taking mine out of my shitty DS game bag.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding your edit: that's a ton of pokemon to play, be careful not to get burnt out. All of the games are great, I wouldnt worry about playing what people recomend to you. In fact I would recomend completing moon if you feel like it and seeing how you feel about the series. If your still interested just wait until gen 8 comes out.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Moon is my first Pokemon and at first, I was really enjoying it. Now, after 30 hours of playing, I am bored by it. I just do not relate to the game at all. Am I playing this game wrongly? There's no challenge.

It sounds like you don't understand the basics of what a Pokemon game is. I suggest giving up on Sun and Moon altogether and never going back. Pokemon Let's Go is just the basics with very little story.

There's no apparent consequence or incentive to catch Pokemon.

One of the main goals of the game is to catch Pokemon and fill their Pokedex entries. That's why the Prof gave you the Pokedex.

I still don't understand what Zygarde is even if I have religious collected everyone I have found.

Zygarde is a rare Pokemon. What you are collecting are cells or whatever they call it. After you get a bunch of them, you can make a Zygarde.

I don't understand how to hatch eggs.
You carry them around in your team and after a certain number of steps, it'll hatch.

I don't understand how to make Pokemon make a baby.

You leave 2 similar Pokemon in the daycare together, and after a certain number of steps, the girl outside will have an egg for you. You should look at a Pokemon breeding guide and understand what Pokemon egg groups are. Not every Pokemon can breed with every Pokemon.

My starter is too powerful. I can't even catch wild Pokemon because I KO them in one hit.
Then you should rotate your group and use a lower level Pokemon.

The story, if there is any, has completely flown past me. I don't know what my motivations are and it still feels like "my first day". 30 hours and I feel like I am still playing a tutorial.

I don't understand how you can miss the story when there's a cutscene every ten steps.

If you are looking for some motivation in the story about saving the world or some Final Fantasy thing, you're looking in the wrong game. Pokemon training in this world is basically a sport. You travel around from town to town and beat the best trainer in that town. The Professor wants to catalogue all Pokemon in the Pokedex, so you should catch them all. That's Pokemon.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of struggle to play every pokemon game after the 30 hour mark and rarely end up finishing an entry, but I do really enjoy that 30 hours I spend with each game and that makes it worth picking them up, though I don't grab every generation. It does sound like you may enjoy Let's Go a little more.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
If you like the idea of Pokémon, there's a game out there for you. Unfortunately, it's not always the newer ones. Try Gen 1 or 2 on 3DS virtual console if you want a solid, classic experience at a lower price.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
HG/SS is definitely not $400 regularly, lol. That's just the cost for a sealed/new copy, which frankly there's no point in getting--it typically goes from $40-$60 for a used one. Just from checking ebay there's even some offers that are less than that, but you do need to be wary of counterfeit copies.

Also, you definitely don't need all 4 of B/W and B2/W2 for the "full experience." You can just get any single one and be perfectly fine. There is some extra incentive to play one of each if you're really in it for the story, but it's really not a big deal.

Habiscus Splash

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2018
I love Pokemon and have played every game but Diamond/Pearl/Platinum was the peak for me.

All future entries I didn't put nearly as much time into them.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
B2W2 is a sequel to BW from what I gather and I would need all 4 to get the full experience. It's a tough sale. ORAS seems well within my budget as does one copy of LGPE.

and yet you are fine playing Moon when there is Sun, Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun
lol

its not required at all really

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Alola as your first Pokémon game is a mistake. It's not as bad as Kalos, but I'd peg it as the second worst.

Play Emerald instead. It's super fast and the NPCs don't waste your time.

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like you don't understand the basics of what a Pokemon game is. I suggest giving up on Sun and Moon altogether and never going back. Pokemon Let's Go is just the basics with very little story.

One of the main goals of the game is to catch Pokemon and fill their Pokedex entries. That's why the Prof gave you the Pokedex.

Zygarde is a rare Pokemon. What you are collecting are cells or whatever they call it. After you get a bunch of them, you can make a Zygarde.

You carry them around in your team and after a certain number of steps, it'll hatch.

You leave 2 similar Pokemon in the daycare together, and after a certain number of steps, the girl outside will have an egg for you. You should look at a Pokemon breeding guide and understand what Pokemon egg groups are. Not every Pokemon can breed with every Pokemon.

Then you should rotate your group and use a lower level Pokemon.

I don't understand how you can miss the story when there's a cutscene every ten steps.

If you are looking for some motivation in the story about saving the world or some Final Fantasy thing, you're looking in the wrong game. Pokemon training in this world is basically a sport. You travel around from town to town and beat the best trainer in that town. The Professor wants to catalogue all Pokemon in the Pokedex, so you should catch them all. That's Pokemon.

Thank you for this. I am still willing to give this a try. I made this thread to get input from people familiar with the title. The input I have received has given me some options to change my style a little and see what happens. I think it's important to be open-minded so I am not going to give up on Pokemon completely just yet.
As for the story. When I say I miss it, I mean that I don't find it memorable, that's all.
Thanks again for your post, I will definitely try out your tips.

HG/SS is definitely not $400 regularly, lol. That's just the cost for a sealed/new copy, which frankly there's no point in getting--it typically goes from $40-$60 for a used one. Just from checking ebay there's even some offers that are less than that, but you do need to be wary of counterfeit copies.

Also, you definitely don't need all 4 of B/W and B2/W2 for the "full experience." You can just get any single one and be perfectly fine. There is some extra incentive to play one of each if you're really in it for the story, but it's really not a big deal.

Thanks for the info. I like new stuff LOL but I will consider this haha

and yet you are fine playing Moon when there is Sun, Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun
lol

its not required at all really

Because I was under the impression that USUM are not sequels but maybe I am wrong. I am just getting into the world of Pokemon so I do not know much. Even if USUM are sequels, I already own SM and that's enough for me. I was ignorant of SM having sequels and after having played Moon, I honestly don't find the story engaging enough to actually play a sequel. SM will probably be it for me for that Gen.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Because I was under the impression that USUM are not sequels but maybe I am wrong. I am just getting into the world of Pokemon so I do not know much. Even if USUM are sequels, I already own SM and that's enough for me. I was ignorant of SM having sequels and after having played Moon, I honestly don't find the story engaging enough to actually play a sequel. SM will probably be it for me for that Gen.

which one? Should I begrudgingly beat Moon, then Sun and quit Pokemon?

there is no reason to play both sun and moon, pokemon games come in set of 2 where the 2 games are nearly the same except for the legendary and some pokemon which are exclusive, BUT you can trade with someone else for the pokemon you would be missing.

so yeah dont play both sun and moon. Ultra sun and ultra moon are more like enhanced/better versions of Sun and moon. Black and White have an special case where B2 and W2 are direct sequels but even then you would only play one of them and maybe its sequel if you want more, but not play all 4

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
If you're motivated by story, Platinum or Black may be your cup of tea.

Black deals with a lot of morality. It's the deepest Pokémon has ever gotten.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this. I am still willing to give this a try. I made this thread to get input from people familiar with the title. The input I have received has given me some options to change my style a little and see what happens. I think it's important to be open-minded so I am not going to give up on Pokemon completely just yet.
As for the story. When I say I miss it, I mean that I don't find it memorable, that's all.
Thanks again for your post, I will definitely try out your tips.

They've been shoehorning in terrible stories for a few years now. They're all pretty bad and get in the way of what Pokemon is really about, catching 'em all and being the very best, like no one ever was. They try and make characters like Lillie the main characters instead of letting the game be about your journey as a trainer. That's why I suggest playing Let's Go Pikachu instead of Sun and Moon.

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017

Get out of here!! I am laughing at myself so hard right now. Wow. Yes, I own both Sun and Moon.I feel like such an idiot right now.
So then how do folk decide on one over the other?

They've been shoehorning in terrible stories for a few years now. They're all pretty bad and get in the way of what Pokemon is really about, catching 'em all and being the very best, like no one ever was. They try and make characters like Lillie the main characters instead of letting the game be about your journey as a trainer. That's why I suggest playing Let's Go Pikachu instead of Sun and Moon.

Ah, I see. Also, I am an idiot. This whole time I thought I had to buy Pokemon games in pairs. ( ._.)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Get out of here!! I am laughing at myself so hard right now. Wow. Yes, I own both Sun and Moon.I feel like such an idiot right now.
So then how do folk decide on one over the other?

Usually which box we like more.

Mind you I usually buy both, but that's only because there's one save file per game, and I like to have one game for Pokédex completion and one game for replays.

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Usually which box we like more.

Mind you I usually buy both, but that's only because there's one save file per game, and I like to have one game for Pokédex completion and one game for replays.
Either way, this has been helpful to me. I still feel so dumb LOL.