• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is the PS2 library stronger than DC, Xbox, GC library combined?

• Yes

Votes: 816 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 841 50.8%

• Total voters

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The sad thing is how much it fell in comparison in the next generation. I felt like the PS3 had one of the weaker library of the generation & felt really gutted compared to the huge breadth and depth of the PS2 library. In comparison, the 360 had some killer early exclusives and then followed that by starting a golden age of indie gaming that has changed the shape of gaming ever since. The Wii had Nintendo and all sorts of fun oddities thanks to its unique control scheme.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
In the end maybe but first years of ps2 were lukewarm, when compared to Dreamcast,Xbox and Gamecube

I'd say ps2 kicked in only after 2005

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
None of them put their big guns, the games the majority of people would talk about, on DC though. RE4, Tekken, Tomb Raider (besides Last Revelation), Prince of Persia etc. were all absent from the DC. Too lazy to look up release dates, but to be fair the DC might've been dead before any of those released on PS2 anyway.

Prince of Persia was on the DC (although it was a terrible game) and Resident Evil 4 came out in 2005.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it helps the case for the PS2 when people keep unintentionally naming significant games to argue their point that weren't just on the PS2.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
It's a testament that it's even close, but Nintendo first party was so good during Gamecube's generation that I think when combined with the other platforms they edge out PS2. But only barely which is kind of insane.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
None of them put their big guns, the games the majority of people would talk about, on DC though. RE4, Tekken, Tomb Raider (besides Last Revelation), Prince of Persia etc. were all absent from the DC. Too lazy to look up release dates, but to be fair the DC might've been dead before any of those released on PS2 anyway.

...of course RE4 was absent from DC, the DC was dead by then. Capcom's dreamcast support was superb.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Single player games? Maybe.

Multi player games? The GCN and oXbox win easily with just Melee and Halo 1&2.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Let's put it this way, most third party games could be played on the PS2 aside from the odd game here and there. Then you got the exclusives on PS2 that couldn't be played anywhere else (which the PS2 had the most out there). Almost or all genres were present on the PS2 and going to the game store you will find games almost nobody knew of.

In that gen you could just buy a PS2 and you have access to almost everything out there. That's how good the library was back then.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Lol. I wouldn't even put PS2 above Gamecube alone. Then there is the fact Halo is my favorite franchise of all time. I have never hit a poll option quicker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Nice to see it's so close cause the PS2 was indeed a monster. I was expecting maybe 30-70% against the PS2. I really do love all those consoles though. Each has libraries that are very unique and distinct but PS2 has pretty much everything covered.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
The GC isn't even Nintendo's strongest library.

PS2 vs SNES or NES library might be more of a valid comparison, but to go "lol Halo and Melee beat literally one of the largest console software libraries in history by the order of thousands "?

tenor.gif

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Let's put it this way, most third party games could be played on the PS2 aside from the odd game here and there. Then you got the exclusives on PS2 that couldn't be played anywhere else (which the PS2 had the most out there). Almost or all genres were present on the PS2 and going to the game store you will find games almost nobody knew of.

In that gen you could just buy a PS2 and you have access to almost everything out there. That's how good the library was back then.
Experiences like Pikmin, Zelda:WW, Viewtiful Joe, RE4, Halo, KOTOR, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon, JSRF, NG:Black, Power Stone 1&2, Shenmue, Rival Schools, SF:TS, MvC:2, NBA/NFL/NHL 2K

Were all respectable in their own right

Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I only had a GameCube that generation, and it wasn't until many years later that I started diving through the PS2 library. I am still making my way through that library and playing through some fantastic games that I missed out on. I'd have to handily give it to the PS2. The more I think about it, the less of a fair comparison it seems.

Last edited:

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Individually ? Sure. Combined ? Lol no. I'd say even putting two of those would be enough to tip the scales.

Lmao the fact that the poll is 50/50 is insane. PS bias on Era is crazy.

That entire generation was great. Any one of those systems would be considered god tier in another generation , with the amount of quality games they had.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'd take Gamecube + Xbox + DreamCast probably, but PS2 over just Xbox + DreamCast pretty easily if that's any consolation (and PS2 over just Gamecube as well).

The funny thing is, I actually think the PS2 probably has more games worth playing than the three combined. It's just that Gamecube + Xbox + DreamCast has quite a bit more all-time favorites for me. Which is funny because you'd probably expect it to be the other way around, but PS2 support was just that insane.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Definitely not the PS2. I won't waste my time playing any old PS2 game but would gladly play Halo, RE4 or Metroid Prime again without hesitation.

Oct 27, 2017
...of course RE4 was absent from DC, the DC was dead by then. Capcom's dreamcast support was superb.

Can't really remember anything Capcom did on DC besides RE: CV and some fighting games. That said, personally I mostly stopped keeping track of Capcom after the NES and SNES, as they just don't really make much I like or care about and haven't done so for nearly 30 years.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
No contest, everything else. I like the PS2's output but I actually think I prefer every other console's output in that list individually more than the PS2. It's close though.

Nov 8, 2017
RE4 is a PS2 game (=

Yes although the GC version looks and plays better. Ps2 has some extra content. I would always take the GC version though.

There are a lot of multiplat that are clearly better on one platform. Chaos Theory on PS2 and GC is a different game from Xbox, the latter being a much much better version.

Sometimes ps2 had an advantage, like Mgs2 is better there because there's a lot of slowdown on Xbox.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
In the end maybe but first years of ps2 were lukewarm, when compared to Dreamcast,Xbox and Gamecube

I'd say ps2 kicked in only after 2005

Bogus take, heh.

2001 is considered by most folks as the year PS2 went nuclear. I've even argued 2000 was a banger year in terms of the numbers game.

GTA3, Vice City, MGS2, MGS3, Burnout 3, Max Payne, Silent Hill 2, Gran Turismo 3, Jak, Ratchet, Sly, SSX, Tekken Tag, Devil May Cry, Twisted Metal Black, FFX yadda yadda, all hit between 2000-2004.

Last edited:

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
For my taste the Gamecube alone was better than the PS2.

But that's mainly because I love Wind Waker, RE4 (had a PS2 version but it was pretty heavily gimped), Paper Mario TTYD, and Metroid Prime 1 & 2 so damn much. All of them are at least in my top 15 of all time.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, PS2 ain't stronger than all 3 of those consoles combined. Titles like: Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure, Phantasy Star Online, Power Stone, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Morrowind, Halo 1+2, MechAssault, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Resident Evil 1 Remake are some of my most fondly remembered titles of all time. The PS2 had great games, and could arguably be said to have a better library than any individual console from that generation. But combining all the other consoles together and saying they can't compare just seems haughty to me.

There were absolutely fantastic games on those other machines. Hell, the Dreamcast has remained my favorite console to this very day!

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
PS2 was great, but every game that got an Xbox port, had better performance. When San Andreas arrived in Xbox, the characters had fingers! No more oven mitts.

Halo provided a multiplayer experience that was beyond anything available in PS2, and that was LAN. Then Xbox Live revolutionize that industry. I think PS2 had more niche games overall, but for every good niche exclusive game in PS2, you had a 10x better niche game in DC or GC.

Shit, MvC2 ran and look so much better in DC than it ever did on PS2! Jak is good, but then you had Mario Sunshine? MGS2 & Silent Hill 2 came first to PS2, but when it arrived in Xbox it look better and even had more stuff (MGS2 Substance).

PS2 had God of War & ICO/SotC, but I feel those games are either somewhat niche or once and done games you'll finish over a weekend and move on. You had other hidden gems like Dark Cloud 1&2, Xenosaga 1,2&3, etc, but you also had equal gems in the other consoles like Skies of Arcadia, Katen Baitos, Lost Kingdoms, etc. Melee is still such a huge game today and PS2 never got something similar.

I'd definitely say the combined powers of the other three win.