• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the PS2 library stronger than DC, Xbox, GC library combined?

• Yes

Votes: 816 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 841 50.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had all of these when they were current and no way would I pick PS2 over the other three combined. PS2 can't beat the combo of better multi-format/Western games + Sega exclusives + Nintendo exclusives. The PS2 is awesome but man, a lot of people really overrate it here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This is the worst way to present the PS2 library.

It was very good, but in the terms of the OP, it's weak when compared to all other consoles combined from that gen. The other systems had more high-quality and unique exclusives that I would care to play, and undeniably better multi-plat versions.

Goldbob

Sep 21, 2020
The GameCube had Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario, Mario Kart and Mario Party.

What more do you really need?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Personally, I think this is an absurd comparison. GCN, Xbox, and Dreamcast all have killer libraries. PS2 can't beat any two together, let alone all three.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's obviously really close, despite everyone arguing there's no contest. Look at the poll results! I don't think the PS2 library beats out the other three combined, but I do think it's close.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. The other three a lot of good exclusive games, and Xbox versions of games are always superior to the PS2.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
The GameCube had Resident Evil 4, Paper Mario, Mario Kart and Mario Party.

What more do you really need?

L63exJJ.png

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
For my taste, PS2 doesn't even come close. No WRPGs. Up against one of Nintendo's best 1P libraries with all timers like Prime/Prime 2 and Melee. For FPS Halo and Halo 2 vs what, SOCOM I guess? I had way more fun with Forza than GT3. And even for JRPGs, where PS2 probably does come out ahead, you'd still have Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Baten Kaitos and Origins, Thousand Year Door... Not nearly the breadth of PS2 but some excellent entries for sure.

I guess I can see PS2 if your only criteria is GTA and MGS or something, but I don't give a shit about either of those franchises.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather have the GC & DC libaries (plus orta) than PS2. Main bright spot in the PS2 catalogue is the Shadow Heart games.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
PS2 easily. Of the other three, Gamecube has the hardest hitters, but in smaller numbers. Dreamcast has a higher percentage of cool shit than the GC or Xbox, but it also has a smaller library overall. Xbox has a couple great games but its biggest strength was having the best versions of multiplatform games. Still, those three combined can't match the depth, inventiveness and number of top notch games the PS2 saw.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Nope.
We had all of those consoles in our household, and about every major game available for them. PS2 library would lose to some of them even individually, so it's ridiculous to even consider the thought that it would beat them combined.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm learning from this thread is that a lot of people are familiar with roughly a 4th of the PS2's actual library, and roughly 80-90% of the Gamecube's.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously really close, despite everyone arguing there's no contest. Look at the poll results! I don't think the PS2 library beats out the other three combined, but I do think it's close.
Poll results are unreliable in the sense that you could just pop in and agree or disagree never actually having experienced the PS2/GC/DC gen, or you just hold a grudge against one of the companies and you vote against it. Instead it would be better to just discuss the library of each platform citing examples and pin pointing weaknesses and strengths.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Of course not. I said if that was your priority, I could see choosing PS2. Or if you only play JRPGs. But if you care about a broad range of genres, it'd be hard for me to see picking it.

I dunno, that's a pretty narrow way to look at the PS2's offerings.

I think the PS2's catalog of 3D platformers is fuggin' unreal compared to the DC, Xbox, and (surprisingly) the GameCube. Same with survival horror, racing, character action, and some unique stuff like Shadow of The Colossus, Twisted Metal: Black, Ico, Mister Mosquito, Gitaroo Man, Katamari, etc.

For platformers, you got several trilogies of stellar platformers on the PS2. I don't know if I can name any on the original Xbox off the top of my head, and I certainly couldn't point back to Sonic Adventure as a genre staple. Subjective, I know, but I think it's fair to say the PS2's 3D platformer offerings best the other consoles combined, unless you're REALLY into Mario Sunshine?

The PlayStation 2 library is as diverse as games get.

Last edited:

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Depends on how you look at it but in 2021 the Dreamcast, Xbox and GC have retained a pretty large portion of their quality exclusives (which is unfortunate for preservation and accessibility but whatever). Meanwhile, I'd venture that most of the PS2 'exclusives' that people talk about have largely been released elsewhere. From the games in that Holiday 2001 image that gets thrown around in every PS2 thread, only Gran Tursimo 3 and AC4 remain tied to the console and it didn't even take that long for that to be the case.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Killer games like ninja garden black? Dead or alive 3 was considered incredible and for horror you have doom 3, racing you got forza, pgr, rallies port challenge. I'm only talking exclusives since multplats(splinter cell might we be considered different games on Xbox) and were way better on Xbox.
I will take Devil May Cry 3 > Ninja Gaiden Black, Tekken 5 > Dead or Alive 3, Gran Turismo > Forza, and there is NOTHING in Doom 3 that's remotely as effective as anything in Silent Hill 3 or Siren (or Haunting Ground or Clock Tower 3 or Fatal Frame 3, etc.).

And maybe I'm not THAT big into the fact that Xbox ran many of the multiplats better when PS2 versions often had more content, exclusive characters, and were mostly optimized extremely well.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
For me, absolutely. So many great franchises and unique titles which I'm still a fan of. I'm still in love with the Ps2, can't say the same about any of the other consoles

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS2 was immense but I will say the DC library for such a short space of time was amazing!!!!! Not sure I would say PS2 library is better than all combined. I certainly didn't feel that way when using all the consoles.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm learning from this thread is that a lot of people are familiar with roughly a 4th of the PS2's actual library, and roughly 80-90% of the Gamecube's.
People tend to see 1st party as the only exclusives or the big 3rd party name exclusives. But the sheer amount of 3rd party exclusives it has is staggering.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really like JRPGs so it's close, but I'd say that all the other systems combined edge out the PS2 by itself for me. It's close though.

Xbox had the KotoR games, plus some Sega stuff like Panzer Dragoon Orta.
Gamecube had the RE games & Metroid Prime was good stuff.
Dreamcast had Grandia 2, Skies of Arcadia, plus some fun arcade games.
Plus miscellaneous good games on all 3 systems.

With that said, I think the PS2 has a stronger batch of JRPGs than possibly any other system to date.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This was a hard decision for me, but I think Xbox/GC/DC wins.

Halo CE
Halo 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Mario Sunshine
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Double Dash
SSBM
Soul Calibur
PSO
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Dead or Alive 3
Deus Ex Invisible War
The best (xbox) version of all 4 Splinter Cell games.

Dynasty Warriors 3
Dynasty Warriors 4
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Dirge of Cirberus
Metal Gear Solid 3
Sly Cooper
Okami
Katamari Damacy
We Love Katamari
Jak and Daxter
Jak 2
Jak 3
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
Ratchet and Clank Up your Arsenal
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War
God of War 2
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
Odin Sphere
.Hack (1-4)
.Hack GU (1-3)
Persona 3/FES
Persona 4
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2
Silent Hill 3

And I'm sure I missed Plenty! and there are games I would list for the others... but the PS2 library was insane.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Really ?
I mean, they 0 contest when you see this list:
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories*
Splinter Cell*
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory*
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow*
Resident Evil 4*
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
Resident Evil: Outbreak
Resident Evil: Outbreak File#2
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
Street Fighter Alpha Collection
Hyper Street Fighter (2 & 3.3)
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
God of War
God of War II
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
ICO
Shadow of the Collosus
Burnout
Burnout 3
Need For Speed Undeground
Ratchet & Clank
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Project Zero (Fatal Frame)
Project Zero 2 (Fatal Frame 2)
Project Zero 3 (Fatal Frame 3)
Jak & Daxter
Jak 2
Jak 3
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Sly Racoon (Cooper)
Sly 2
Sly 3
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter 2
Odin Sphere
Shin Megami Tensei 3
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Yakuza
Yakuza 2
Drakengard
Gitaroo Man
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2
Ape Escape 2
Ape Escape 3
Guilty Gear X Accent Core Plus
Tekken 4
Tekken 5
Tekken Tag Tournament
SoulCalibur 2
SoulCalibur 3
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Okami
God Hands
GrimGrimoire
Killer 7
SSX
SSX3
Xenosaga 1, 2, 3
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts 2
Bully (Canis Canem Edit)
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VIII
Hitman 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Hauting Ground
Dark Cloud
Dark Chronicles (Dark Cloud 2)
Rogue Galaxy
Forbidenn Siren
Forbidenn Siren 2
Samurai Shodown Anthology
Obscure
Obscure 2
Dead or Alive 2*
Rez
Rule of Roses
Valkyrie Profile 2
Space Channel 5
Crazy Taxi
Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5
Tales of Series
Urban Chaos: Riot Response
Black
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider Legend
Time Splitters
Time Splitters 2
Time Splitters 3
Half Life
Klonoa 2
Max Payne*
Max Payne 2*

I'm sure I forgot some title

*Ok, maybe i'm playing "inferior version" of somes games... but.. at least, You can play all this game on PS2.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This thread sure seems like console wars 🤔

Ultimately I think this really depends on your investment in the library. The PS2 had the best library no doubt, but stronger than all those combined, there's no fucking way imo. Too many gems on each system

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
This thread sure seems like console wars 🤔

Ultimately I think this really depends on your investment in the library. The PS2 had the best library no doubt, but stronger than all those combined, there's no fucking way imo. Too many gems on each system

I think it's a hard question to frame or even contextualize.

If you could divorce yourself from the consoles and your own inherent experiences/biases, and just look at a list of "The PS2 Games" labelled "GROUP A" and a list of "Dreamcast + GameCube + Xbox Games" labeled "GROUP B" with only the era-appropriate exclusives... it'd still be a hard hypothetical to wrap your head around.

Think of the Venn diagram here, heh. I mean, there are GREAT games that came out on PS2 + Xbox, and PS2 + GameCube... meaning they were playable on the PS2, but maybe not every other machine. Certainly not the Dreamcast.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Really ?
I mean, they 0 contest when you see this list:
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories*
Splinter Cell*
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory*
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow*
Resident Evil 4*
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
Resident Evil: Outbreak
Resident Evil: Outbreak File#2
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
Street Fighter Alpha Collection
Hyper Street Fighter (2 & 3.3)
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
God of War
God of War II
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
ICO
Shadow of the Collosus
Burnout
Burnout 3
Need For Speed Undeground
Ratchet & Clank
Ratchet & Clank 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Project Zero (Fatal Frame)
Project Zero 2 (Fatal Frame 2)
Project Zero 3 (Fatal Frame 3)
Jak & Daxter
Jak 2
Jak 3
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
Sly Racoon (Cooper)
Sly 2
Sly 3
Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter 2
Odin Sphere
Shin Megami Tensei 3
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Yakuza
Yakuza 2
Drakengard
Gitaroo Man
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders 2
Ape Escape 2
Ape Escape 3
Guilty Gear X Accent Core Plus
Tekken 4
Tekken 5
Tekken Tag Tournament
SoulCalibur 2
SoulCalibur 3
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Okami
God Hands
GrimGrimoire
Killer 7
SSX
SSX3
Xenosaga 1, 2, 3
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts 2
Bully (Canis Canem Edit)
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VIII
Hitman 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Hauting Ground
Dark Cloud
Dark Chronicles (Dark Cloud 2)
Rogue Galaxy
Forbidenn Siren
Forbidenn Siren 2
Samurai Shodown Anthology
Obscure
Obscure 2
Dead or Alive 2*
Rez
Rule of Roses
Valkyrie Profile 2
Space Channel 5
Crazy Taxi
Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms 4
Wild Arms 5
Tales of Series
Urban Chaos: Riot Response
Black
Tomb Raider Anniversary
Tomb Raider Legend
Time Splitters
Time Splitters 2
Time Splitters 3
Half Life
Klonoa 2
Max Payne*
Max Payne 2*

I'm sure I forgot some title

*Ok, maybe i'm playing "inferior version" of somes games... but.. at least, You can play all this game on PS2.
By gawd look at that list...pure insanity.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
the ps2 game library was ridiculously good, I can see it beating 2 of those platforms combined but all 3? that's a tough call, still though the ps2 library is insane

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of what I'm getting out of this discussion is that many people don't seem aware which major releases were multi-plats that generation. Squarealex, not to pick on you, but your list is particular is guilty of that.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
I lived that gen, and I got more enjoyment from the Dreamcast alone than the PS2 and Xbox *combined*.

But it's a matter of personal taste obviously. If I try to see it objectively, I'd say PS2 doesn't beat the other 3 combined, but it might be close.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Not even mentioning that if you like rhythm games ps2 had the entirety of Bemani on it. Samba de Amigo, Cool Cool Toon and Donkey Konga ain't shit lmao

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a hard question to frame or even contextualize.

If you could divorce yourself from the consoles and your own inherent experiences/biases, and just look at a list of "The PS2 Games" and a list of "Dreamcast + GameCube + Xbox Games" with only the era-appropriate exclusives... it'd still be a hard hypothetical to wrap your head around.
Exactly, the poll is useless in the sense that we do not know that if each voter even played on all the mentioned platforms, if they even played the majority of the major titles. Or if in most likely scenario you played on one of them and pop in and vote for your team or against the one you feel like is overrated. It is not like you can verify who is voting with actual experience on those platforms.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Anyone who says yes to this is a fanboy imo. The Sony's incredible lineup on PS2 would not be over all 3 of those combined. Especially considering about 80 % of the ps2's library can be found on GC and Xbox

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, by a long shot. The DC was the strongest of those other three, and it only really had two years of content.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Anyone who says yes to this is a fanboy imo. The Sony's in rebel lineup on PS2 would not be over all 3 of those combined. Else I'll at considering about 80 % of the ps2's library can be found on GC and Xbox

I'm gonna need receipts. I think the inverse might be true, heh.

Devil May Cry 1
Devil May Cry 2
Devil May Cry 3
Silent Hill 3
Twisted Metal Black
Twisted Metal Head-On
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Siren
Siren 2
Frequency
Amplitude
Yakuza 2
SSX 1
Suikoden 3
Suikoden 4
Suikoden 5
Syphon Filter The Omega Strain
Wipeout Fusion
Guitar Hero 1
Front Mission 4
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Ace Combat 4
Ace Combat 5
Smuggler's Run
TimeSplitters 1
Dark Cloud 1
Dark Cloud 2
Hot Shots Golf 3
Hot Shots Golf Fore (lol)
Ape Escape 2
Ape Escape 3
God of War 1
God of War 2
Kingdom Hearts 1
Kingdom Hearts 2
Ghosthunter
Persona 4
Tekken Tag
Tekken 4
Tekken 5
Jak 1
Jak 2
Jak 3
Jak X
Sly 1
Sly 2
Sly 3
Ratchet 1
Ratchet 2
Ratchet 3
SOCOM 1
SOCOM 2
SOCOM 3
SOCOM Combined Assault
War of the Monsters
The Getaway
The Getaway 2
Downhill Domination
2,000 of those party BUZZ games

Etc. It's not worth typing a hundred games out, but you catch my drift I think.

Last edited: