• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is the PS2 library stronger than DC, Xbox, GC library combined?

• Yes

Votes: 816 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 841 50.8%

• Total voters

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Xbox, Dreamcast and Gamecube have a total of approximately 2,200 games between them and the PS2 has 3,800 titles released worldwide including variants. If I were to hazard a guess I'd say it's somewhere between 2500 and 3000 unique games. PS2 has sold 3 times as many as the other 3 combined! I don't give a shit about sales {or do I?[maybe I do(who knows?)]} but I think PS2 is one of the times that sales really do seem to be reflective of the quality of the hardware/software. So I say yes the PS2 library is stronger than all it's competitors combined despite loving all those consoles Those willing to die on this hill with me show us your war cry rofl while pml
-HRPSF.gif

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Without a doubt, I'd say so. You can add more consoles onto their and the answer is still probably yes for me.

The PS2 is just... that magnificent.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
it has so many weird games that never came back on other platforms aside from all the great games, so PlayStation 2.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Easily.

Gamecube has a relatively small strong library, Xbox is in the same boat, Dreamcast had most of their stuff go to the three of them afterwards.

The PS2 Library handily beats out all 3 combined, especially if you take out anything on them that is also on the PS2

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I kinda think just the GameCube vs PS2 is kinda close. Nintendo first party was firing on all cylinders back then. Nothing comes close to Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, and the other Nintendo heavy hitters.

When you add Xbox and DC it's no contest.

I love a lot of PS2 games though.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still PS2.

It has almost every game aside from first party games and tons of exclusives and hidden gems that can't be found anywhere else.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
There's certainly more variety on PS2 versus the others. Considering that was the gen that started to really ramp up on multiplatform releases and at least some attempts at parity with them, many DC games ended up being ported to PS2 (or even GC in some cases, like Ikaruga), especially, you have to look solely at exclusives and the PS2 blows it all out of the water.

Jesus that gif is nightmare fuel incarnate.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Easily, no contest for me. Shows how much of a monster the ps2 was when all those exclusives combined couldn't hold a candle to what we had on ps2

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I mean...
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
DMC3
Sly/Ratchet/Jak Trilogy
Gran Turismo 3/4
FFX
MGS3
Kingdom Hearts 2
God of War
Yakuza

PS2 had a crazy amount of exclusives back then, add 3rd party with GTA and RE4 and thats it.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I would say without jRPGs I would say the other consoles... But none of the other consoles had a decent jRPG library at all and PS2's was the best lineup ever.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I'll bite and say PS2 library was a very much extension of the PS1 which made its appeal more narrow than the other three combined.

Xbox, GameCube and Dreamcast is a better library.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yes but considering how many of those games were also on Xbox & GCN it kinda feels like a moot point? If we're talking in terms of pure exclusives though (first and third party) then it is leagues ahead IMO.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
630x.jpg

This was fall 2001...alone. All exclusives.
No other company will ever have such a powerful release schedule during a single year's fall.

Again...this doesn't mention all exclusives that came after fall 2001.
GameCube's fall 2001 contained Rogue Leader, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, and Super Smash Bros. Melee. All within a month of launch. It's just as impressive imo when you consider that.

Also, GT 3 released months earlier, in the spring/summer.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Xbox>Dreamcast>GCN>PS2

I'd take any console's standalone library over the PS2's, let alone them combined.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Considering how most of the Dreamcast's games got ported to the other three, it's kind of moot. Xbox had some great games but Halo was considered the reason to own the console. The GameCube was great too with many amazing first-party games, but the sheer volume of fantastic games that the PS2 had eclipsed it.

So yeah, the PS2's library is better than the Dreamcast, Xbox, and GameCube's libraries combined.

Dec 21, 2017
This was a hard decision for me, but I think Xbox/GC/DC wins.

Halo CE
Halo 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Mario Sunshine
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Mario Kart Double Dash
SSBM
Soul Calibur
PSO
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Dead or Alive 3
Deus Ex Invisible War
The best (xbox) version of all 4 Splinter Cell games.

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'd take just the Xbox over the PS2.

But it depends on what type of gamer you are.

As primarily a PC gamer, the Xbox alone had more of the types of games that I enjoy over the PS2.

Not to mention most of the multiplats are superior to the PS2, especially FPS games.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The GameCube is the worst console Nintendo's ever put out, the Xbox had all of like 20 games I'd actually want to play and the Dreamcast is amazing but it just can't make up for the incredible vastness of the PS2. I don't even understand anyone saying the PS2 had a more "narrow" focus. It covered every single genre in greater amounts than any console in history.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Yea and it's not even remotely close despite Metroid Prime being my favorite game of all time.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
The PS2 has a lot of tent pole exclusives + hidden gem exclusives, just by virtue of being easily the biggest seller of that gen and porting being more complicated at the time. It even got former exclusives from other platforms (RE4 being the big one, but also lots of Dreamcast ports).

That said, I feel that was one of Sony's weaker gens as a first party. There were definitely some classics, but I felt in terms of first party output Nintendo easily wins it. And Xbox might not have had a ton of amazing first party games, but at the time I felt Halo 1 and 2 were unmissable. I personally spent a lot of time with my GameCube and Xbox that gen, and I loved my Dreamcast while that lasted too. So combined... I don't think PS2 wins. But it's surprisingly close for a 3 v 1. The PS2's strength came from big time support from companies like Square-Enix, Capcom, Konami and Rockstar.

If someone really wanted to dig into the PS2's catalogue though, you probably wouldn't even miss not being able to play Halo or Wind Waker or whatever. But as an owner of every console that gen, I was only busting mine out occasionally. I would also wait for Xbox versions of staggered releases if I knew they would come later, because they universally looked and ran better.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No, PS2 was a dominate force, but even the GTA trilogy came out on XBOX.

630x.jpg

This was fall 2001...alone. All exclusives.
No other company will ever have such a powerful release schedule during a single year's fall.

Again...this doesn't mention all exclusives that came after fall 2001.
GTA, Silent Hill 2 and MGS2 came out on xbox.