• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
via BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/56643677

Now, physicists say they have found possible signs of a fifth fundamental force of nature.
The findings come from research carried out at a laboratory near Chicago.
The four fundamental forces govern how all the objects and particles in the Universe interact with each other.
For example, gravity makes objects fall to the ground, and heavy objects behave as if they are glued to the floor.

The UK's Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) said the result "provides strong evidence for the existence of an undiscovered sub-atomic particle or new force".
But the results from the Muon g-2 experiment don't add up to a conclusive discovery yet.

The University of Manchester researcher added: "Clearly, this is very exciting because it potentially points to a future with new laws of physics, new particles and a new force which we have not seen to date."

The finding is the latest in a string of promising results from particle physics experiments in the US, Japan, and most recently from the Large Hadron Collider on the Swiss-French border.
Prof Ben Allanach, from Cambridge University, who was not involved with the latest effort, said: "My Spidey sense is tingling and telling me that this is going to be real.

So....is George Lucas right? Is midichlorians real? Are you an angel?

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Is this along the lines of strong force, weak force and so on? Man, there's so much I don't know.

Edit: It's right in the link. D'oh.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Reminds me of a thing I read in a sci-fi/fantasy book where magic was real. And scoffed that people used to think it was fake because while Gravity exerts a low amount of constant force on a molecule and no one doubted that it existed.

Oct 27, 2017
If you have ever had a fiber bar, coffee, and then some chili combined within a 2 hour window then you already know this force of nature.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
it flows through us, binding all living things.
Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny.

Dec 23, 2017
it flows through us, binding all living things.

....haaaa....HA!!

afc443847a24623a836fcae1f4312459.gif

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Prof Allanach has given the possible fifth force various names in his theoretical models. Among them are the "flavour force", the "third family hyperforce" and - most prosaic of all - "B minus L2".
i vote for flavour force in recognition of era's favorite tv personality, guy fieri :)

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There's only two plausible scenarios:

Phoenix-Force-and-Speed-Force.jpg

For real though, this is probably in relation to Dark Energy or othr mechanisms related to universal expansion.

Or it's related to Element Zero, everything we know is wrong, and superluminal speeds without time dilation is possible.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Is it's Dark Matter I'm going to cancel science and go back to my quest of turning lint into diamonds.

xeris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
FermiLab has their press conference and a shorter 8 minute walkthrough up on their YouTube channel.