• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I just need to know if the online co-op is good.

My sister and I bought the Capcom Beat 'em Up Bundle from the most recent sale and the online was TRASH.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Will play as it's on gamepass and I love the originals, but I've watched some reviews and I really don't see how this will be that engaging. The core mechnics look rooted in really dated design...

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
It's so awesome to see the revival of many Sega classics. Sonic Mania, Monster Boy, Shenmue III, Sakura Wars, Streets of Rage 4... what a time to be alive!

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
This is one of the best brawlers ever made. Period. This is the first and only release (aside from something like SOR Remake) that I feel understands what makes games like this work. It's a masterpiece.

...and yeah, stuck in the 90s is a great thing in this case since basically every attempt at a brawler post 1995 fell short. Even solid ones like Scott Pilgrim, which looks amazing, really doesn't play as well as many of the greats. SOR4 does.

Hey what's up Dark1x?

Thanks for the impressions man. Quick question....how would you compare SoR4 to SoR Remake? Seeing as how you've played both, which one is better in your objective opinion?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
...and yeah, stuck in the 90s is a great thing in this case since basically every attempt at a brawler post 1995 fell short. Even solid ones like Scott Pilgrim, which looks amazing, really doesn't play as well as many of the greats. SOR4 does.
I started playing Scott Pilgrim again since I lost my original completed save, and as enjoyable as the game is, it can't be underlined enough how much of a slog the game is until you level up and start getting better moves. Good to hear SoR4 doesn't seem to fall into that.

She is my favourite too. It sucks she sounds like an anime girl instead of a middle aged woman. Just a slightly more mature sounding voice would have been perfect.

Wow, yeah. That ain't great at all. I'll deal, but a more mature sounding voice would've been perfect.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
So happy they nailed this. Bought the Limited Run special edition so now the quandary is to wait for that or double dip.

Bah, who am I kidding? It sounds like they deserve my money anyway.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
I just need to know if the online co-op is good.

My sister and I bought the Capcom Beat 'em Up Bundle from the most recent sale and the online was TRASH.

Online co-op isn't perfect, but it works. Played 5 stages via co-op and most of time it was smooth, but there were occasional bouts of lag. This was on Switch. I was wired and my friend was playing via Wi-Fi.

Also, my review at Nintendo World Report.

And this is a video of me playing online co-op.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best part about Streets of Rage is that you just start the game and play. All the combos are unlocked and nothing needs to be unlocked (aside from secret characters in some games). To see that SOR4 is designed that way makes me glad. I want the same team to do more classic beat em ups. Start with Golden Axe please!

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow Eurogamer gave it an essential and said it's the best in the series. That's damn high praise. Looking even more forward to it now.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I couldn't be more excited for this game, but these reviews have done it. Take my damn money.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Man, I dunno what to do, Im so tempted to grab limited run physical edition for Switch while enjoying it for PC Gamepass

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
As a Streets of Rage super fan, I'm sooooo happy this game is so well-received. I cannot wait to dig into it tomorrow.

Also, I had no idea that CRT filter mode was in the game, which basically makes it look like it fits right next to the original three games by turning the art into a more pixel-art look. I saw it in action in the Kotaku video review and it's awesome.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the best brawlers ever made. Period. This is the first and only release (aside from something like SOR Remake) that I feel understands what makes games like this work. It's a masterpiece.

Have you played Fight'N Rage? It's a different beast (way faster combat) but it's easily my favorite beat'em up game since SOR2. Can't wait to see how SOR4 fares.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Apparently no crossplay between PC Gamepass streets of rage and the Steam version :(

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Glads its reviewing well, for sure gonna peep this on gamepass

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

She is my favourite too. It sucks she sounds like an anime girl instead of a middle aged woman. Just a slightly more mature sounding voice would have been perfect.

Sweet Baby Yoda, this looks great! Streets of Rage 4 was not on my radar, but after this (and GamePass), I'm absolutely in.

I do hope it is X/Pro Enhanced, but I won't lose any sleep if it isn't.

Jul 26, 2018
When I read reviews like "game made foremost for fans of the series" I get instantly discouraged. I just wanted an amazing classic brawler... not something which is dedicated to a niche audience of a niche console of a niche series ... that has too much games to even consider visiting and getting up to date with them.

I hope it still comes on Game Pass (I have not seen them saying anything lately about this) ... but my excitement diminished a lot with the reviews.
This is a really bad take

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
When I read reviews like "game made foremost for fans of the series" I get instantly discouraged. I just wanted an amazing classic brawler... not something which is dedicated to a niche audience of a niche console of a niche series ... that has too much games to even consider visiting and getting up to date with them.

I hope it still comes on Game Pass (I have not seen them saying anything lately about this) ... but my excitement diminished a lot with the reviews.
Yeah Streets of Rage 4 really shouldn't have been made for Streets of Rage fans.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017

It's a beat 'em up. Go play SoR1, 2, and 3 for six hours, and you'll be caught up with the lore or whatever.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
looked on my pc gamepass dont see this up for preload or anything, is it coming to pc gamepass or just console?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

It's still an amazing classic brawler. Sega Genesis /Mega Drives were niche consoles to you?

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm so glad that this is delivering on all fronts. I can't wait to play this.
I haven't played the old games much but I still have extreme respect for the series and I'm so glad its getting this sequel.
What I still can't believe are those visuals. It looks bonkers.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously can't wait to play this. I grew up cleaning the Streets of Rage with the fists of justice and I can't wait to continue that work.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

A niche series? It's the flag bearer for the genre!

And..as SoR is an amazing classic brawler, you'd like this surely.

What a take.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey what's up Dark1x?

Thanks for the impressions man. Quick question....how would you compare SoR4 to SoR Remake? Seeing as how you've played both, which one is better in your objective opinion?
SoR4 is better overall due to the refinement in the combat system. It might be the best brawler design I've played. Tons of depth that I still have to learn.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
SoR4 is better overall due to the refinement in the combat system. It might be the best brawler design I've played. Tons of depth that I still have to learn.
Ooh, since you're here. Have you tried the game across various platforms yet?

I'm really wondering how the Switch version stacks up to the others in terms of resolution, performance, etc. I'm particularly curious as to whether or not the 2D, hand-drawn assets look more compressed on the Switch version.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ooh, since you're here. Have you tried the game across various platforms yet?

I'm really wondering how the Switch version stacks up to the others in terms of resolution, performance, etc. I'm particularly curious as to whether or not the 2D, hand-drawn assets look more compressed on the Switch version.
I JUST got the Switch version but haven't installed yet. Am going to find out soon. Alas, only PS4 and PC before launch.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nope. As usual, not a goddamn one makes any mention of how the Switch version looks or runs compared to the others.
I will probably still get the switch version anyways because beat-em-ups wherever is too enticing, but I wish reviewers or somebody are given Switch review codes to at least inform people if it is different.