• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I am just loving Estel's design and I keep replaying the stages where she is the boss. I hope they make a DLC where you can pick her. Probably one of the best female designs I seen in a game released this gen. She is brutal on hard when the Commissioner comes to help.

Dec 23, 2017
Now that I've played the game a good bit, its a good game but not without issues.

I give it maybe a 7/10. It's short but it's sweet.

Don't like the super armor enemies have, which lead to some really cheap situations. You can use a defensive special to dodge it, but I don't think it's worth the trade-off.

Music is alright, not many memorable ones outside of a few.

Some characters are really good, like Cherry, Adam and Floyd. I do feel like Axel and Blaze are lacking.

Lack of Training Mode to practice combos.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
This feels like a glaring omission.
After I beat Shiva in story mode and he revealed he left the Syndicate, I fully expected a message like "Shiva joins your gang!" to appear (like with Adam earlier). When that didn't occur, I got really nervous...

And then the same thing happened after beating Max :(

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Would be fun to see a Yakuza beat em' up in this style as a mini-game in a future entry.
Aside from the simple VR mini game Yakuza 5 uses for all characters (that was just too darn easy for its own good), Kiwami 2 actually does a decent stab at this with the bouncer missions - roped off areas of the two cities that has you running from point A to point B, lots of weapons to pick up and enemies asses to kick. Granted they went a bit overboard with the number of missions (should have cut the easier difficulties and just buffed hard modes AI so that they were more challenging) and you'd have maybe the closest thing to a 3D SoR game yet.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm in love with this game. Beat it tonight with a friend and it was so much fun. Started playing solo after on hard and it's getting a lot more interesting. The combat is just wonderful. Sublime brawler shit.

I've only tried Axel, Cherry, and Adam so far. Funny enough I think I'm liking good ol' Axel the most. I figured once I got the dash from Cherry and Adam I couldn't go back, but Axel's got that damage. And I really like his specials. I wanna learn Adam more though as damn he's stylish as shit.

The online lobby system needs a rework though. If you're not playing with friends it's terrible. Needs to be a way to just auto join matches.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played through Normal with Blaze and I love this game. This is the update to SoR2 I've been waiting for my whole life. The combo system is so good!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know why achievements aren't popping on Xbox or PC and why the options menu looks completely different to the one Dark1x showcased in his wonderful deep dive?
I discussed this in the second vid. Xbox port was done by a different studio (Blitworks) that seemingly didn't include it.

I did get achievements, though, so that's weird.
The fighting is tight in responsive, and it plays great. Admittedly I'd still have preferred the ability to run but the mechanics are obviously well thought out.
It's like SOR2. Some characters have different movement options. Cherry can run (and is so much fun to use) while Adam can step forward and back (kinda like double tapping forward or back in a fighting game). So there are options there.

With Axel, his special + jump is great for closing gaps.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough I think I'm liking good ol' Axel the most. I figured once I got the dash from Cherry and Adam I couldn't go back, but Axel's got that damage. And I really like his specials. I wanna learn Adam more though as damn he's stylish as shit.

Yeah, Axel is working for me the most. If you have room, he can get some great combos out of normal into Grand Uppa' then into Special Offensive.

Outside of that, Adam and Blaze are next up for me to learn, but they are all really good. I'm super impressed with Cherry and Floyd; I thought the latter in particular would be typical wrestler-type dog shit, but he can string together some absolutely evil combos with his Special Offensive and Down Air Attack.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I also wanted to mention that I love that it's possible to switch characters after completing a level. All beat 'em ups should have that option!

AwesomeSauce

Oct 25, 2017
The retro soundtrack music choices are definitely... eccentric.

Stage 1 - Go Straight (SoR2)
Stage 2 - Never Return Alive (SoR2)
Stage 3 - Slow Moon (SoR2)
Stage 4 - Wave 131 (SoR2)
Stage 5 - Little Money Avenue (SoR2 - Previously unused)/Under Logic (SoR2)
Stage 6 - Keep the Groovin' (SoR1 - Game Gear Ver.)
Stage 7 - Fighting in the Streets (SoR1 - Game Gear Ver.)
Stage 8 - In the Bar (SoR2)
Stage 9 - My Little Baby (SoR1 - Game Gear Ver.)
Stage 10 - Alien Power (SoR2)
Stage 11 - Spin on the Bridge (SoR2)
Stage 12 - Expander (SoR2)

Kinda funny that they'd sooner use Game Gear tracks then use SoR3 music, lol. I'll compile the boss themes in a few.

SoR 3 has some 🔥 tracks even if as a whole isn't as consistent as the previous games.

Should of at least included this banger:
youtu.be

Streets Of Rage 3 Soundtrack - Poets i

The fast-paced hardcore techno soundtrack, from High Quality FLAC audio versions. Thanks to Vertiphon.Composed by Motohiro Kawashima

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Played a lot of mania today, a lot easier than I was expecting with that description plus how nightmarish it was in 2. I played as a lot of characters and right now I feel like Floyd and SoR3 Axel are the best. Some other SoR3 character are probably up there to. I see no reason to use the SoR1 or 2 characters since SoR3 characters have the dodge roll and dash. SoR3 Axel is crazy, he has all those tools and his basic combo damage is the highest I've seen yet, while also not being long winded or prone to getting knocked out of it. Floyd just dominates stages with pitfalls, he deletes enemies with ease and his range, especially with weapons, is ridiculous.

I'd say Max is the worst I've used, has basically none of the good tricks from SoR2 available to him while still being slow with a shitty jab. His slide is not as good and his grab damage is not nearly high enough to make up for his faults especially when Floyd does such a better job at it. I wasn't impressed with SoR4 Blaze or Axel either. Adam and Cherry seem good enough. Shiva seemed ok. Most of the SoR2 cast is just pointless with the SoR3 versions existing.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how the "complete single player story with X character" achievements work? I played with Cherry until I unlocked Adam and then switched to him and beat the game.

I didn't get an achievement, but do I just have to play the first few levels with Adam or the whole thing from the start with him?

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
SoR 3 has some 🔥 tracks even if as a whole isn't as consistent as the previous games.

Should of at least included this banger:
youtu.be

Streets Of Rage 3 Soundtrack - Poets i

The fast-paced hardcore techno soundtrack, from High Quality FLAC audio versions. Thanks to Vertiphon.Composed by Motohiro Kawashima
It would've been cool if it was possible to pick any track from SOR1-4 and create your own playlist.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
So I think the gamepass pc version doesn't give the 2nd player achievement or story unlocks. I finished the game with someone and they didn't get SoR4 Adam or any achievements unlocked. He did get a classic character.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathoma nyone not liking this OST. It's modern but definitely still the right style. Shit is fire.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
i find it weird that i cant pick characters i've unlocked when joining a friend's game (ones he hasn't unlocked).

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
played like 8 stages i think, its dope. graphics solid and button responsiveness is great, cool bosses, some groovy tracks and some eh ones. art is hit or miss for me as well as animations, mostly hit tho 8/10 visual. would like to see deeper mechanics (more evolution) if they get a chance to make a part 5.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Has anyone been trying holding button combos after beating Shiva and Max?

Unlocking Shiva in SoR3 was done by holding B + start after beating him, it's possible something like that was added here.

I'd also very much like to hear what happens with the global score thing after the last SoR3 character is unlocked if anyone's got that far.

I'm still entirely convinced that these two are playable.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Axel is working for me the most. If you have room, he can get some great combos out of normal into Grand Uppa' then into Special Offensive.

Outside of that, Adam and Blaze are next up for me to learn, but they are all really good. I'm super impressed with Cherry and Floyd; I thought the latter in particular would be typical wrestler-type dog shit, but he can string together some absolutely evil combos with his Special Offensive and Down Air Attack.

Yeah Axel's combos are super satisfying and effective. I actually just tried Floyd, and had just about the same epiphany as you did. He's fun as shit! And super good. Haven't messed with his down air yet. Do you or anyone else here know how do you his double grab? I've seen it in videos but dunno how to pull it off.

I also really love that his back attack is just a very casual back flick of the wrist. It's just like dude, can you not.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Axel's combos are super satisfying and effective. I actually just tried Floyd, and had just about the same epiphany as you did. He's fun as shit! And super good. Haven't messed with his down air yet. Do you or anyone else here know how do you his double grab? I've seen it in videos but dunno how to pull it off.

I also really love that his back attack is just a very casual back flick of the wrist. It's just like dude, can you not.
He can walk around while holding someone, literally just grab one and walk into another

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Goddamn this game is great.

Playing on Switch — full-sized Switch — in handheld mode is not as great as I feel it could be, though... The buttons-as-dpad on the left Joycon is not so good. I've actually been begrudgingly using the analog stick.

I'm so close ordering a Retro-Bit Sega Genesis or Sega Saturn controller. I'd feel more at home with the Genesis controller since I never personally owned a Saturn but the Saturn does look better ergonomically.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn this game is great.

Playing on Switch — full-sized Switch — in handheld mode is not as great as I feel it could be, though... The buttons-as-dpad on the left Joycon is not so good. I've actually been begrudgingly using the analog stick.

I'm so close ordering a Retro-Bit Sega Genesis or Sega Saturn controller. I'd feel more at home with the Genesis controller since I never personally owned a Saturn but the Saturn does look better ergonomically.
Ironically, this game with my Elite series 2 has converted me/convinced me regarding the weird dome dpad that the Series X is using. I wouldn't want ti for a fighting game I think, but for taps and whatnot like this it feels fan fucking tastic.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I played through Stage 4 with a friend. I tried out both Floyd and Cherie. Floyd is pretty fun I really like how his forward Y can extend your combo his moves feel really weighty. But my lord Cherie is fun. The way you can combo your normal attack string into an air combo or a double head bounce into the Skate Hunter grab feels so incredible. Definitely one of the best feeling beat-em-up characters I've ever played.

Did they rework the retro characters movesets at all? I remember playing the crap out of the old games, but I don't know if I can go back to the more simple combos after playing these characters.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The sale plus the fact that I had $3 dollar worth of Gold Coins from buying Animal Crossing pushed me over the edge.

I was trying to refrain from buying games, but there's too much rage on these streets to pass up for $19.48

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ironically, this game with my Elite series 2 has converted me/convinced me regarding the weird dome dpad that the Series X is using. I wouldn't want ti for a fighting game I think, but for taps and whatnot like this it feels fan fucking tastic.

Oh I did play it on Xbox (thanks Game Pass!) with my Elite 2 controller as well! I find the satellite/dome dpad quite awesome, with the only flaw being that it can kinda come slightly undone with accidental hard presses since it is magnetized. I have also actually had quite a lot of success using it in Mortal Kombat 11, too, and NRS fighting games are the only ones I play with a pad. I think I'm able to keep it quite accurate to my needs because of the edge grooves, they do a good tactile job of notifying which direction I'm pushing via touch.

I still want a more Genesis style controller tho, and I've been eyeballing the Retro-Bit stuff for a few months now... May just order them on the occasion of this game's release.

I have an 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ controller at home that I haven't played the game with at all yet. I wonder how my brain is gonna take playing this game with a SNES-style dpad and face buttons...

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
so after playing some more (at the end of level 3 now), im definitely starting to click with the combat. i also tried all of the characters now and cherry is definitely the most fun. tried the first unlock char and like him a lot too. Still getting used to how i'm supposed to adapt to and beat enemies (sometimes its as simple as just moving down and for some reason my brain was just not prepared for that lol), really enjoying it, and playing it MP is a blast. scratches that tmnt itch i had for sure. would fuckin LOVE to see lizardcube remaster Turtles in time oh my gawd

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Koshiro's tracks are fire but goddamn Olivier Deriviere's tracks are sooooooooo good

Did they rework the retro characters movesets at all? I remember playing the crap out of the old games, but I don't know if I can go back to the more simple combos after playing these characters.
Nope. They're all mostly neat novelties outside of the SoR3 characters, who can actually keep up with the new cast.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
this game is fucking TIGHT holy shit. it's annoying you can't dodge roll or run anymore, though

i really, really like hardest mode's enemy numbers. there's a serious avp vibe to just going nuts
streamable.com

Watch Untitled | Streamable

Watch "Untitled" on Streamable.

blaze has some serious juice in her combo potential - i'm just doing bnb standards while tryin to live but you can definitely go higher. it's scratching the itch of high skill level just meaning you stay on the offensive the majority of the time rather than the lame forced push/pull shit that a lot of modern action games seem to go for

let me play as shiva and estel. also max i GUESS

so far the weakest character seems like axel to me- his combo potential is low and his movement is low. he hits like a freight truck with his fwd+special when comboing into it (like, straight up melts minibosses/bosses) but dragon smash not being as invin and grand upper not having that much invin really hurts him since fwd+special is such a high commitment move.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I don't, I'm afraid. I assume you walk into someone and then walk into someone else?

Yes! I noticed that too. Doesn't even look 😂 His standard jab is similarly casual. Reminded of Hulk punching Thor near the end of Avengers.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
so far the weakest character seems like axel to me- his combo potential is low

giphy.gif

heeeeeey he's ok :)

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Started another playthrough arcade mode with Cherry...she might have good mobility but her attacks are super weak.

But she hits enough times that it doesn't even matter if they are weak. She can wreck bosses. Dash attack into special that either airbornes them or knocks them into a wall and you can juggle to get health back. Move out of the way and punish them when they are open. She has so many options due to her mobility.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Playing this as an old-school arcade, on hardest from the startest and it's great.

I'm only on stage 6 and i have replayed stages many many times, but i the gameplay loop is perfect.