• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Dashing
Being able to move in depth while jumping
More and better interaction with backdrops
Branching paths

It's góod, but a little too conservative I think.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
You should look into playing River City Girls or Fight 'n Rage. This game isn't doing anything out of the ordinary for the genre. I'd even say it feels worse to play than those two.

Haven't played Fight n Rage but River City Girls feels a step below Streets of Rage 4. SoR4 feels so much more polished than that game ever did. River City Girls never even felt as fluid as this game when it comes to combos because it was ultra strict with them. The hit boxes on certain enemies and the lengthy time it took them to stand felt worse in that that game too. I'm sure they changed it by now in an update but having punch be the same button as screen swapping was terrible as well. SoR4 feels so much better to play in a variety of ways.

Last edited:

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
If I join an online game and go through the story will I still unlock the other modes or do I have to go through the game solo?

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Got to stage 12 last night, it's about a 2-3 hr game like everyone else said.

Overall it's solid, especially nailed it in the gameplay department. This time it really is like how we all wanted Sonic Mania to be a direct follow up to S3&K except it wasnt a 'return to form' since it's 26 years since SoR3 with nothing between. It's just that form again. It's very safe and I felt that while playing.

Music is no where near 1-3, I expected something along the lines of Hotline Miami and I got some remixes? I think and mostly forgettable tracks beyond that. The worst stage so far was the art gallery: bad music, super static background, mostly enemies that lob annoying poison/fire puddle bombs and a giant haha funny buttplug labeled 'to France' that precedes a duo of the stage 1 boss reused.

Genuinely glad it's getting a good reception though, I'd love to see another one that goes way, way further than this one went. Or just more of this one with more stuff in it, whatever, beggars can't be choosers.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Finally finished on very hard.

Really good game albeit from stage 8 onwards it loses some steam, you can feel that the length of the game is stretching the maximum these kind of games should have.

some levels were supershort too and some scenes were a bit unfair, at least on very hard. was not a fan of the final stage, felt a bit meh to me.

and to the people wanting more options and stuff: it is a continuation of SoR, not a reimagining or evolution. it has some modern touches but the core is very close to the originals.

Ecco45

Mar 19, 2018
Seems harsh how restrictive the life/point system is during solo, feels like I don't really get to breathe at times. Occasionally a problem on Hard, but Hardest feels like you NEED a co-op partner no matter how skillful you are at the game. Not of a fan of this new system for solo play. A Classic mode instead of Arcade mode would probably alleviate this issue. 3 lives and 2 continues regardless of the difficulty mode should be a staple as it was in original games. Hope they can add it in in a possible future patch.

Besides this issue, i'm having fun. The feeling of combat is great and the soundtrack is impressing me more than I though it would with the original composers not having much of hand in it.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having hiccups on the PC Gamepass version? They're little in single player but played 4 players local and they were all over the place.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Playing on Xbox One X and the audio seems to be a little muted. I have a nice 5.1 set up and all other games sound perfect, but this game seems to lack some punch. Even the punch sounds don't sound impactful. Also noticed there are really no video settings like other versions. Anyone else notice this on Xbox? Going to download it on my PC as well to see how it sounds there.

Yeah the audio mix is not very good. It's only 2.1 also, very underwhelming.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Just finished it. I honestly kinda mixed on it. The problems I thought I was gonna have, I had. No mobility options hurt so bad. Axel moves like molasses. There feels like there is zero momentum. Walk slowly and stop, hit like a truck and slowly start back up. The lack of defense options hurts bad. I felt like most of my hits and deaths were not because of mistakes I made but more because I saw an attack coming a mile away and I couldn't do anything about it. No run and no side roll meant I had to eat star skill to avoid damage. I could use a special but then I take chip damage and most likely will lose it when I get hit after the attack ends by the second or third attack flying my way. I remember getting pincer attack'd by a group of suzies and I couldn't do anything to stop it as soon as my special would end I'd get wailed by the jump kick. I tried using Axel's standing jump attack as that used to be a great anti air tool but it gets stuffed hard. Another thing I hated is a lot of enemies have super armor moves that eat right through my attacks. It's so annoying. He ate my first hit better back off he's charging up but I lack the movement to get away. I like the stages and all of the enemy designs and the flow of the game but I'm getting way to frustrated at small things. Maybe it's just Axel. Maybe I'll prefer Adam and Cherry or the retro characters because they seem to have better movement options. But Axel and Blaze are my favorites and it saddens me to think they suck because they lack basic skills. Maybe I'll warm up to the game the more I play it. Like I said I like everything else about it. Well the music isn't all that great outside of maybe two tracks.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game tonight with my son. I played as Cherry and he played as Axel. We had a blast and my son wanted to instantly start up a new game as soon as we finished it.

As a hardcore Streets of Rage fan, I thought they did an excellent job here and it fits right in with the other three titles. I would rank them as:
1. Streets of Rage 2
2. Streets of Rage 1
3. Streets of Rage 4
4. Streets of Rage 3

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Did a playthrough with Adam. And I discovered right at the end lmao that when you dash beside someone you instantly swap sides, so you can do dash across suplexes :D

tumblr_mbpjlsongl1qduuq6o1_500.gif

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Made it to Stage 6. Still really loving it, never played the originals so I don't know how those felt to play. I really dig the OST.
Only thing I'd wish for would be a bit more evasive options. I don't know if that should be something like being able to jump in the back/foreground, a 4 way roll that's on a cooldown or either more I-frames or enemy knockdown after the special-move (not the star one).
I feel like some hits and staggers are simply unavoidable which is not a deal breaker but feels not really that good sometimes.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched some footage earlier today and damn this looks really good! Color me impressed.

Just settling in to play some games before bed. Fire up Game Pass and....Streets of Rage 4???!!!!! *rubs eyes* Whaaaaa?!! Holy shit!!

Downloading now! What a surprise!

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's good but there's alot of cheesy,bullshit enemies that are just unfun and frustrating. The lack of any kind of block is super annoying as well.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Just finished it. I honestly kinda mixed on it. The problems I thought I was gonna have, I had. No mobility options hurt so bad. Axel moves like molasses. There feels like there is zero momentum. Walk slowly and stop, hit like a truck and slowly start back up. The lack of defense options hurts bad. I felt like most of my hits and deaths were not because of mistakes I made but more because I saw an attack coming a mile away and I couldn't do anything about it. No run and no side roll meant I had to eat star skill to avoid damage. I could use a special but then I take chip damage and most likely will lose it when I get hit after the attack ends by the second or third attack flying my way. I remember getting pincer attack'd by a group of suzies and I couldn't do anything to stop it as soon as my special would end I'd get wailed by the jump kick. I tried using Axel's standing jump attack as that used to be a great anti air tool but it gets stuffed hard. Another thing I hated is a lot of enemies have super armor moves that eat right through my attacks. It's so annoying. He ate my first hit better back off he's charging up but I lack the movement to get away. I like the stages and all of the enemy designs and the flow of the game but I'm getting way to frustrated at small things. Maybe it's just Axel. Maybe I'll prefer Adam and Cherry or the retro characters because they seem to have better movement options. But Axel and Blaze are my favorites and it saddens me to think they suck because they lack basic skills. Maybe I'll warm up to the game the more I play it. Like I said I like everything else about it. Well the music isn't all that great outside of maybe two tracks.
It's good but there's alot of cheesy,bullshit enemies that are just unfun and frustrating. The lack of any kind of block is super annoying as well.

Exactly how I feel about it. Even as Cherry I constantly find myself wanting to roll up or down to avoid fucking telegraphed attacks like the flying kicks etc.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I can finally buy the PS4 version. Wanted to play so bad last night but didn't want to get it on switch as I didn't have enough free memory there.

supafamiman

Oct 27, 2017
Can you play with the Gamecube adapter/GC controllers on Switch version? Not really sure if this is a thing or not as I only use GC controllers for Smash and never questioned about GC controller compatibility for other games until now.

Apr 24, 2018
Just beat story mode on normal. This is legit my favorite beatemup. This is exactly how you do a Streets of Rage game. Now i just need to figure out how to unlock everyone.

And the music, i dont get the hate. I think they did a fantastic job. Still nothing will top Streets of Rage 2 in that regard.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Got to stage 12 last night, it's about a 2-3 hr game like everyone else said.

Overall it's solid, especially nailed it in the gameplay department. This time it really is like how we all wanted Sonic Mania to be a direct follow up to S3&K except it wasnt a 'return to form' since it's 26 years since SoR3 with nothing between. It's just that form again. It's very safe and I felt that while playing.

Music is no where near 1-3, I expected something along the lines of Hotline Miami and I got some remixes? I think and mostly forgettable tracks beyond that. The worst stage so far was the art gallery: bad music, super static background, mostly enemies that lob annoying poison/fire puddle bombs and a giant haha funny buttplug labeled 'to France' that precedes a duo of the stage 1 boss reused.

Genuinely glad it's getting a good reception though, I'd love to see another one that goes way, way further than this one went. Or just more of this one with more stuff in it, whatever, beggars can't be choosers.

What? The art gallery music was the best in the entire game.

When that saxophone hits?..... my god

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
So I gotta know...

Are Shiva and Max unlockable as proper characters with new sprites? Or just as retro ones? Because...like...c'mon. They have movesets, man.

EDIT: Also, I can't believe some of ya'll are out here saying Streets of Rage 3 has a better soundtrack than this. THAT'S some nonsense.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
After completing Normal, tried to do Arcade mode (single credit run, 5 lives) with two players, no saving. We did pretty well then started losing lives in stage 6, then died near the end of stage 9. We'll get there. I love how Cherry and Adam play, but for the purposes of Arcade mode, SOR1 characters are my pick. As stated before, they do more damage to make up for their lack of moves.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

Yep. I really love the game right now, but I feel like the combat design kinda lacks one universal defensive mobility option.
It's still the best beat em up u have played in a very long time.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Really difficult to get into this game after playing stuff like Fight N Rage. Part of me just feels like I'm jamming my thumb into the dpad in attempt to move faster. It's really dumb. The audio for attacks being so weak really hurts too. The weapon throwing and catching is top notch though. That is a very fun mechanic. I just wish there were more fun dumb things like that.

Online having such a huge input delay makes it really unplayable.

Bleh

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fantastic game and currently focusing on unlocking all the characters now. A bit easier than expected on normal, but I really dig what they did with the combat while keeping it tight to the SoR core. I still like Fight n' Rage's combat flow much better, but SoR4 is well balanced and visually awesome all around. Excellent job by Guard Crush and the crew. :)

And Estel... ❤❤❤

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of the retro soundtrack: some stages only have 1 song while others have more, and some of them sound like... game gear? master system? Going from megadrive/genesis tracks to those and back is extremely jarring. And the selection is eh.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Fight n Rage but River City Girls feels a step below Streets of Rage 4. SoR4 feels so much more polished than that game ever did. River City Girls never even felt as fluid as this game when it comes to combos because it was ultra strict with them. The hit boxes on certain enemies and the lengthy time it took them to stand felt worse in that that game too. I'm sure they changed it by now in an update but having punch be the same button as screen swapping was terrible as well. SoR4 feels so much better to play in a variety of ways.
In terms of feel River City girls isn't even sniffing this game, I will say definitely jump on Fight N Rage is rock-solid mechanically.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone on Xbox or PS4 completed the game co-op and it give the achievement/trophy for beating the story with X character? Or are they strictly single player only