• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely my favorite thing I've played all year

Also, as when I first played SoR ask those years ago, "fuck Shiva"

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
He telegraphs his moves pretty heavily. Learn which tell corresponds to which attack.

You can mash out of his throws.

You should jump over the shoulder tackle.

Move vertically to get around his flying kick.

Get a few hits in after each of his attacks. He's got always-on super armor but leaves a long enough window to punish him after everything.

Hmm Okay. I just feel like I am moving way too slowly to get out of his range. So basically dodge until he does his attack and punish him afterwards.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Shit gets real on Stage 4 huh? Massive difficulty spike. The boss in Stage 2 was hard but level 3 was super manageable. Now Stage 4 is kicking my ass again lol.

The game is fantastic. I'm so happy.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It's great but I don't like how it controls/moves because it doesn't do what I want and I'm bad lol

I want to able to dash up and down 😭

I'm 6 stages in and really starting to get to grips with it now. Enjoying it a lot more.

Stage 2 is a harsh difficulty spike though. Easily the most difficult so far imo.
Commissioner best my ass so bad I went back to normal difficulty

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Sat down to give this a try and two hours flew by like nothing. They really managed to make a new SoR that stands up to the classics. The boss fights have all been fantastic so far and I love the way the specials work. Definitely gonna be playing a lot of this.

Only minor complaint is that I don't think the soundtrack is anywhere near as good as SoR1 or 2. It's good, and a couple tracks are excellent, but overall it doesn't have the punch I expected. Maybe I'll warm up to it over time though.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much of a history with streets of rage, but my friend and I are always on the hunt for a good co-op game. Does this fit the bill?(Does it incentivize replayability at all?)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I can join games perfectly well, my friend can't join anyone... we've made sure windows is updated, all the relevant apps for Xbox app on PC are updated.

We can join each other on Sea of Thieves. Something seems to be blocking him specifically from joining any SoR4 game...

Anyone have any ideas?

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I kind of wish retro soundtrack was a dropdown select for either Streets 1, 2 or 3. Wishlist item though. Fantastic game. Plays great on the Switch.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Ye the soundtrack is nowhere as slapping. SoR and SoR2 started straight with two bangers, then had insane tracks all along. This start way more subdued, then has a good one in 3, then the rest are decent but nothing ear-worming to me (i'm up to 6)

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I can't decide to hold out for physical. The genesis box looks great. That's a lot of money for a couple boxes though...

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
On the whole that's true, but in my mind I had one exception, and that exception was the stage complete theme.

Man, yes so much this.
When "stage 01 complete" came up using the same font and graphics the tune instantly started playing in my head and what I heard instead was the biggest cockblocker.

I can't believe they did this.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Wow, the retro soundtrack selection was definitely picked by hardcore fans. Stage 3's retro track is the damn Game Gear rendition of The Last Soul.

Talk about deep cuts.

Agreed about the Stage Clear theme, though.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game a couple times now and unlocked up to all the SoR2 characters. Max feeling like garbage tier in this game :(, Floyd is just a straight up better Max in every single way, and also probably one of the best characters in general. It sucks everyone doesn't have a dash or run.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
The default soundtrack isn't doing anything for me, but the gameplay is great so far. Looking forward to using the retro soundtrack option.
I blame reviewers for this. I can't count how many arcade ports over the years have been slammed over being too short by credit feeding reviewers.
Reading old reviews of home ports of arcade games circa 2000 is maddening.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Level 1 with SN30 Pro+... thumb is killing me. This game needs a Sega dpad. Time to switch in the m30.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that only a handful (I can only remember two?) of bosses have moves with actual invincibility. They have *armor*. They still take damage from the attacks, attacks just don't stun them during the duration of armor.

Callahan

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
I can join games perfectly well, my friend can't join anyone... we've made sure windows is updated, all the relevant apps for Xbox app on PC are updated.

We can join each other on Sea of Thieves. Something seems to be blocking him specifically from joining any SoR4 game...

Anyone have any ideas?

Same issue here, cant figure it out...

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
How is it for solo players?

on hard its almost undoable with no rolls. Getting stuck in an animation like a grab leaves you open to other enemies attacking you at all times. Enemies have grabs that you cannot counter except by using your special move.

No multiple paths sucks

I dunno, Im.not too hot on it.

i wonder if the people who love it have played Streets of Rage Remake

because after a few hours with this, that will remain the definitive "Sonic Mania" Streets of Rage

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Man fuck some of these enemies I really suck, can't figure it out I get anti-air'd, they keep attacking me loooool

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there a practical application to the downward aerial attacks that I'm missing? They seem like a less range/worse version than a normal jump attack so far.
Use them for a deep jump in and combo or grab when you hit the ground. The stun will leave most enemies open for follow-ups. Don't forget to tap attack a few times with the dpad in neutral to slap enemies around before holding toward or back to throw them at their friends.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Just finished it. Mixed feelings about it.

Soundtrack was very hit or miss. Forgetable overall.
Slower, way slower than BK3/SOR3
Reused bosses. Too many for my liking.
Invincibility frames GALORE. They went overboard with it.
The addition of new mechanics (weapon throwing and catching middair, juggling, new combo system) does not, (for me at least) compensate the removal of running, rolling and upgraded blitz attacks.
Advanced Donovans (Z) can fuck right off

Overall I liked it because I have been starving for a propel sequel for 26 years, but I would have made it differently.

Someday perhaps Ill go back to my unreal engine 4 project lol.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Grabs are both telegraphed (Red Flash) and with two exceptions, can be jumped. Those two exceptions can be avoided by walking up/down and moving off plane.

There are counters to pretty much everything, you just don't realize them yet.

Edit: Remembered a second exception, but it's pretty much identical.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
i wonder if the people who love it have played Streets of Rage Remake
Remake is a fantastic mix and match of the first 3 games, with its only wanting aspect being that the AI is a bit on the simple side. The new combinations of old enemies make up for that adequately though.

It's not a sequel, though. SOR4 is its own thing while still running on the same fundamentals and I really like what I'm seeing here.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Wow, the retro soundtrack selection was definitely picked by hardcore fans. Stage 3's retro track is the damn Game Gear rendition of The Last Soul.

Talk about deep cuts.

Agreed about the Stage Clear theme, though.

The retro selection is absolute garbage. How does that song meet up with Stage 3 at all? I dont see it. Im sure thats not something that fans even listen to or know it exists. Ive played all SoR games on megadrive and never heard this gamegear abomination thankfully.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I don't remember SoR2 being this hard. I got destroyed by the boss on Stage 2.

Also, when your character flashes green, what does that mean?

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I know music is subjective and all, but I just don't understand all of the posts around here claiming that the music is anything other than great in this game. Have you HEARD Funky HQ?!

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Grabs are both telegraphed (Red Flash) and with two exceptions, can be jumped. Those two exceptions can be avoided by walking up/down and moving off plane.

There are counters to pretty much everything, you just don't realize them yet.

Edit: Remembered a second exception, but it's pretty much identical.

On hard if you are fighting 3/4 dudes in the prison at the same time and cops try to grab you you dont have any time to react if they are close to yoy. Maybe im just old I dont know haha

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else find that Barbon is the hardest boss?

All the others including Ms Y + Mr Y are pretty easy but this sod has the most annoying adds (biker ladies) and he doesn't telegraph his openings as blatantly as the other bosses.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
The game is dope as hell.

Tempted to just double dip to the Switch so I can use my 8bitdo M30 for a more authentic experience.

Should I do that? Just looking for reasons to be talked out of it. Who knows how long this is on Game Pass!