• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone answer the following questions?

How many buttons does this game require?

Does it use the right analog stick for anything important?

I want to buy this on PC and play on an arcade with 6 buttons.
It's pretty customizable, you can even switch to legacy controls and adjust them too.
Jaqp43d.png

pYgCm63.png

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
OMG IT'S WORKING! The Australia store trick on pc is letting me download early! Yall been holding out on me with this?!?!? XDLOL

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Omg the main menu music tricks the fuck out of you when you first listen to it... AND THEN THE BASS DROPS. Omg that is when I knew this is a TRUE sor game. It is so smooth and it sounds like a mixture of sor2 levels with the violins and bass.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
if you're wondering about unlockables, I was given a "complete" save file by the publisher during the process of my review.

Fantastic review! Very well articulated and extremely encouraging to read. I've become jaded of AAA game reviews as of late, but I'll check out your site more often :)

OST is up.

Spotify:

Bandcamp:

Oh my goodness, that main theme... It sounds exactly like you'd expect a "modern" SoR to sound. Koshiro is a genius.
Can't wait to check out the rest of it while playing. After reading these impressions, I have high hopes for these new artists, too!

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Been playing this everyday since finishing my review. It is just so easy to pick up and play and get drawn into it. Cherry and Adam are probably my top fighters.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I just can't put into words how happy I am, this is prob going to be the best moment of 2020 for me games wise. The fact this game gets revived after 26 long years and ends up this freaking good. Never could have imagined

what a time to be a streets of rage fan. Now just make sure you all tell your friends so we get a sequel

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell already I see so many improvements to the fighting engine. The back attacks are hella useful now. And the ability to save power attacks means there are going to be so craZy combos. Cherry seems top tier so far. Her speed is incredible and she can bounce on heads like super Mario all day. Speed matters in this game.

Also I like how they made picking up items a different button. Some really good choices design wise so far...

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
They should add a "scanline only" option, the retro pixelated+scanline filter is hideous. would just like scanlines over the modern graphics.

but the screen transition effect is neat.

and Blaze needs another voice, it is not fitting. in the character select she has a different voice than in the game...

BLACK LAC

Nov 5, 2017
I have Gamepass but I want to buy on Steam. If Geforce Now wasn't currently gimped to hell this would be a no brainer, but I guess if Xcloud pulls through I could always double dip for mobile Rage.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing in Xbox while waiting for switch. Using elite controller remapping RT to left paddle and RB to right paddle. Much better

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll ever swap out of guitar girl. I gotta run!
Yea. Coming off of playing SoRR and playing this feels like I never left. Wow wow wow her head bounce tho. I need to get the timing down. But Donovans are hard counters to her it seems. They are ready to punish her almost immediately with uppercuts.

Found a secret area already. Wow the devs did a good job.

May 1, 2018
I'm still not seeing the game on US PSN. Anybody else having this issue? Tried on my PS4, PC, and the app but nowhere to be found.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just can't put into words how happy I am, this is prob going to be the best moment of 2020 for me games wise. The fact this game gets revived after 26 long years and ends up this freaking good. Never could have imagined

what a time to be a streets of rage fan. Now just make sure you all tell your friends so we get a sequel

Streets of Rage 4 is just the latest in this kind of trend for me personally, though I am absolutely overjoyed that STREETS OF RAGE of all things gets a modern revival this good too.

Sonic Mania, FFVIIR, the 2 new Resident Evil remakes and RE7 making it the genre king again, the fact that both of the new Doom games came out this generation and I love them both... Kinda nuts how much of my childhood is coming back in such fine form this generation.

Sep 7, 2018
I wasn't going to bother with this game at first, but now I see that there's a black girl playable in this so I think I'll get it.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I was going to wait for a price drop but I caved and bought in on PS4. Love it. Absolutely love it.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
The new controls are throwing me off a bit. I had to customize the controls a bit. Having back attack with its own dedicated button is way more useful then two buttons or hitting back + attack. i turned that off because you can accidentally hit that. Plus this allows more freedom in combos to turn mid combo and continue.

also, I never thought id see the day where we can use aerial specials and aerial weapon throws lol.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Used the AU store trick to download the game to the X1X and played through the first three levels before quitting for bed. The game looks, sounds, and plays great. I did up the luminosity a couple notches in the game's settings as it looked a little dark at the default. I'll definitely be purchasing this game whenever it leaves Gamepass

Xbox and PC.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my first playthrough on Hard and unlocked arcade. Definitely the best Beat Em Up in decades. Yes, decades, plural. Just a hair over Dragon's Crown as far as getting the feel and encounters right, without the long term RPG baggage, though if Dragon's Crown also had an Arcade mode it would be a much harder choice to make. Double Dragon Neon, as much as I like it, still ends up being just a notch below those two. Besides Double Dragon Neon and Dragon's Crown, it's the only Beat Em Up made by people who seem to have a grasp on what made beat em ups good. Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers got a lot of mainstream love, but I found them to be extremely awful. Shells of a Beat Em Up made by people who just had a fleeting memory of the genre and WAY too long.

Good shit, Guard Crush. I'd like to see them take on other classic genres, even if it requires they develop their own IP.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Nothing on Gamepass so far.

It's up in the Australia store. Login to Microsoft/XBL first on the web and then use this link.

SoR 4 on AU store

Ignore the first button that says buy to own and scroll down. You should be able to install from here. If that doesn't show up, refresh the page and try again. Installing didn't show as an option for me at first so I think I clicked on the button to sign up for gamepass even though I already have it and that seemed to correct the page.