• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish I hadn't tried to region switch. Now WIndows store doesn't work even in my region, and Xbox App doesnt recognise my subscription. Greeaaat.
This seems to be happening to me too. I can still launch stuff I already have downloaded but it won't acknowledge my sub when I try to get something new or go to the account settings. Literally the only time I didn't have tons of trouble with this dogshit app was when I signed up for Ori 2. Every other goddamn time it's been broken one way or another.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
if you're wondering about unlockables, I was given a "complete" save file by the publisher during the process of my review.

You'll unlock one retro character at a time by finishing levels and having your scores tracked; they're each unlocked at various "combined score" totals. You'll get additional bonus points for your lifetime score tally for things like "first time a level was beaten by so-and-so" or "first time you reached D, C, B, A, S rank." If you ragequit a level without completing it, those points don't track.

First three unlocks: SoR1's default roster
Next four unlocks: SoR2's default roster
Next five unlocks: SoR3's roster (Axel, Blaze, Skate, Dr. Zan, Shiva)

Adam is unlocked midway through your first playthrough of the story mode, and it has nothing to do with your score or other performance.

All modes visible in the starting menu unlock once you've beaten Story Mode for your first time.

Dotemu didn't inform me about any other unlockable content at this time. Their PR rep made a joking suggestion about starting an online petition to have Roo added as a playable character some day. Should someone create that petition, I will forward it to their team.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been so good on waiting for sales lately, but I may crack and buy this full price. Just looks so sweet and the type of project I want to support.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice, installing now on PC with the region switch 😁

I've got teh Streets of Rage now!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Pretty sure I'll grab this in a few days when I have the chance
Oh so they just don't have new designs.

I apologise for shitting on the game then.
I mean Max has been spotted with a redesign just not as a playable(yet?)
(Main menu splash so not spoiler)
20200429_203359.jpg

I could definitely see some additional modern playable characters as updates/dlc

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, game wont load on my end. Get the SoR4 splash screen in a window, it loads for a bit then closes. After my Windows store issues earlier I'm not surprised.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Either I'm trash or the game is kinda difficult? Having a hard time avoiding some attacks.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Anyone with the game, is the scanline filter a decent one?? I've been buying some retro games lately and I'm starting to have a preference for the scanlines especially playing SNES classic games on the switch.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
tried to install this on the PC game pass

The Xbox app is the most unpleasent piece of software I have on my PC hands down. after downloading it and uninstalling it multiple times the game refuses to start at all, and unlike steam fails to recognize my Switch pro controller as an gamepad.

i fucking hate xbox

Oct 25, 2017
I logged into my account on the MS store, went to the AU store page and searched for the game. There was a prompt to install the game on that page.

I'm on the AU store page and I can find the page for the game, but I only have the option to buy it. There is a button that says included with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, but when I click it, it just prompts me to sign up. I'm logged into my account and I already have Game Pass Ultimate. What am I doing wrong?

NM. Signed out and back in again and now it works!

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! Thats much less than I'd hoped :( Hmmmm, I was keen to buy but now in two minds....
This is the kind of game that's made for replayability, with a lot of different characters and fighting styles to learn and master. I can't even count the number of times I've run through the three SOR games.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Either I'm trash or the game is kinda difficult? Having a hard time avoiding some attacks.

i am playing on the fourth difficulty, the one above hard and it feels true to 90s arcade style. you have to know the enemy attacks and gotta step out of the way

Oh! Thats much less than I'd hoped :( Hmmmm, I was keen to buy but now in two minds....

i mean..it is an arcade style game, did people think this will end up being a 6 hour romp? this would be boring imo, it is good that they stuck to the gamelength as it was in the 90s.

there is diversity in the stages, unlocks, 5 difficulties, a combo system where it counts your hits and gives points which turn into extra lives, arcade mode as a challenge to master, boss rush mode, a retro filter and so on.

the best arcade games aren´t even 2-3hours to play through and i would assume you can beat this game in a bit over an hour if you know what you are doing.

these games are meant to be played over and over till you beat it on the highest difficulty anyways.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Is there any region of the eShop where this is available?

not yet afaik
Waiting myself for the SA eShop since I've got 1500 gold points to use there

I mean, *much* less you say? 3 hours is already a TON for a full playthrough for this kind of games which are usually in the <1 hour range. If Guard Crash nailed the gameplay (and it seems they did a great job with it) then it'll have plenty replayability,.

Also, better having a distilled experience than a diluted one, imo.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the story mode with Blaze (2h20m on normal difficulty, with 1 continue), and it was decent:

- The characters have a weighty feeling, but you get used to it quickly, and the combo system is fun.
- The story is a bit uninspired, the character's designs are great, as is the overall presentation.
- The ost is better than expected, with highs and lows.
- Is donovan's uppercut the most annoying attack ever? yes
- The visual filters are pretty bad.

Tomorrow i will try online coop with my brother, hopefully.

Last edited:

jordn613

Oct 25, 2017
Is comparing this to a game like Castle Crashers silly? They're both 2D brawlers with coop. But CC had a lot packed into it and if I recall correctly took 5-8 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this is fucking awesome, landing hits and the combat in general feels so good. Not being able to run and roll though is going to take some getting used to.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Just played the first two levels on Game Pass to tide me over until I can grab the Switch version tomorrow. This is a very good videogame.

The second level gave me Hotline Miami vibes. Loved it.