• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda of a boring design, especially compared to Blaze. Maybe she'll be fun to use at least. Also Shiva better be playable at some point.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Makes me wonder if running is character specific like Streets of Rage 2 or would later builds have running for all characters.

The previous video mentioned dashing (dash attack?) can only be performed with a weapon pick up but it's not clear if it's the only time anyone can dash or something that applies to Blaze solely

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's bullshit. They know they're gonna get called out if they keep saying it looks like a Flash game, so they hopped onto the next animation whipping boy.

I only really associate the CalArt's-thing as the ramblings that came out from the mouth of a washed up child groomer/pedophile (something of which John K. tried to do to make himself feel important after the industry had blacklisted him). And even then, most of the students that graduated from that school have a solid traditional arts education, along with some solid draftsmanship skills on top of that.

So I'm really lost with that critique.

Anywho, the game looks great. I was impressed with this teams previous project, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of SoR4.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I only really associate the CalArt's-thing as the ramblings that came out from the mouth of a washed up child groomer/pedophile (something of which John K. tried to do to make himself feel important after the industry had blacklisted him). And even then, most of the students that graduated from that school have a solid traditional arts education, along with some solid draftsmanship skills on top of that.

So I'm really lost with that critique.
Because it's not meant to be an actual critique. Some folks don't like the game's art style and that's perfectly fine. It's just that most of the people who've expressed that have basically been a chorus of "iT lOoKs LiKe A fLaSh GaMe!" since day fucking one and now that that particular line has become a meme, they gotta switch it up, so apparently now it's CalArts's turn, which makes even less goddamn sense.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Cool black girl in a game that's not a walking "Angry and violent" stereotype. I'm glad we're seeing more and more of these! It's a nice shift, and I'll take all the designs that come out of this bandwagon.

I love how much she pulls from Skate and Adam. That's exactly what a family member who looks up to them, should be like. A way to fit old designs into something new and needed.

I understand the "CalArts" silliness; her face and poofy neon hair do look like something you'd see on OK KO or Steven Universe. But I think it stops at that. To pretend it goes any further is to discredit the work these devs are putting into this game.

I don't think her Guitar is out of place. Just like electric whips weren't. Why is it as OFTEN as people claim BEU's are "mindless entertainment", they're ready to roast any variety to designs as if they don't fit the games? On the contrary, I think it's the willingness to make simple changes (like wearing skates, or having a different build) into the bulk of a characters moveset and design direction, that make BEU characters so memorable, and fun to play.

I'm also nowhere near as concerned about characters NOT being in the first release, as I'd have been in the 90s. Let them make their base cast well, first. If that works, we could see everyone ever in the series return, plus more. Hand Drawn 2D takes time to do well, even MORE if you're not taking a bunch of Shortcuts like using 3D parts to fake complex 2D pieces.

Is it me or are those large enemies at 0:15 right out of Rival Turf?
LOL, I'll take this homage! I like the little we see of all the new enemy types. And Final-Movie-Fight-Scene Shiva.
Have to agree. I get mobile phone game vibes whenever I see this kind of this super clean 2d art. I mean, it still looks great, but there's no grittiness left in the game, just ruins the aesthetic for me.

Ehhh, I can only relate in the fact that many modern 3D games make me wonder "Why is this even 3D? 95% of the world doesn't mean anything!" This doesn't even look like the BAD style of moble game art. This is crisp, dying-art-form style hand drawn 2D, the kind that even Disney is doing less of now. There's no / little skeletal tweening, no limb rotation that's seperate from the body model, causing robotic motions between separate parts.

I really don't see how people can be impressed by ASW's GGXRD style, and yet take art that's trying it's best to make real 2D hand-drawn playable, and hate on that instead. Both styles have weaknesses, but both also have inherit strengths.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The coloring on her hair looks pretty freaking bad; I know it's meant to emulate highlights / hair roots but it looks like someone flood-filled it with a basic directional Photoshop gradient and called it a day. :S

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I think that running looking animation is actually her walk animation. That's what it looks like.

Cherry looks cool and fun but I think I would have preferred Adam or Skate. However I am very happy with the design.

However....Mutherfuckin Shiva be back! Make him unlockable! Dude is way to badass to not be unlockable.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or are those large enemies at 0:15 right out of Rival Turf?
Streets of rage 1 came out in 1991
latest

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Shiva looks absolutely incredible... wow.

Cherry seems a bit off to me, almost like she would fit in a new Crazy Taxi better. I think she seems super fun though and I am sure the next character will be cool too, but I really hope we finally get classics like Adam back, he has been snubbed for way too long.

Super hyped for the game.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Cool black girl in a game that's not a walking "Angry and violent" stereotype. I'm glad we're seeing more and more of these! It's a nice shift, and I'll take all the designs that come out of this bandwagon.

I love how much she pulls from Skate and Adam. That's exactly what a family member who looks up to them, should be like. A way to fit old designs into something new and needed.

I understand the "CalArts" silliness; her face and poofy neon hair do look like something you'd see on OK KO or Steven Universe. But I think it stops at that. To pretend it goes any further is to discredit the work these devs are putting into this game.

I don't think her Guitar is out of place. Just like electric whips weren't. Why is it as OFTEN as people claim BEU's are "mindless entertainment", they're ready to roast any variety to designs as if they don't fit the games? On the contrary, I think it's the willingness to make simple changes (like wearing skates, or having a different build) into the bulk of a characters moveset and design direction, that make BEU characters so memorable, and fun to play.

I'm also nowhere near as concerned about characters NOT being in the first release, as I'd have been in the 90s. Let them make their base cast well, first. If that works, we could see everyone ever in the series return, plus more. Hand Drawn 2D takes time to do well, even MORE if you're not taking a bunch of Shortcuts like using 3D parts to fake complex 2D pieces.

LOL, I'll take this homage! I like the little we see of all the new enemy types. And Final-Movie-Fight-Scene Shiva.

Ehhh, I can only relate in the fact that many modern 3D games make me wonder "Why is this even 3D? 95% of the world doesn't mean anything!" This doesn't even look like the BAD style of moble game art. This is crisp, dying-art-form style hand drawn 2D, the kind that even Disney is doing less of now. There's no / little skeletal tweening, no limb rotation that's seperate from the body model, causing robotic motions between separate parts.

I really don't see how people can be impressed by ASW's GGXRD style, and yet take art that's trying it's best to make real 2D hand-drawn playable, and hate on that instead. Both styles have weaknesses, but both also have inherit strengths.

Well said! Hand drawn animations are so rare these days, and the ones on offer here look spectacular.

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Upon rewatching it I think I kinda like most of the new enemy types. Like the grungy pink hair girl and shirtless Asian guy. Kinda luke warm on the big guy in the karate gi, design looks a little to simple. The fat girl biker wearing the biker uniform from SoR2 is really kinda weird. I don't mind a bigger girl enemy type but she looks goofy and off.

Also in what world does one simply run up and do a down air attack against Shiva and not instantly get flashed kicked!
#NotMySoR4 jk

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Cherry has a dope ass character design, and the game looks and sounds fire.

Shiva looks great, too. Can't wait for this.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I've watched this trailer so many times already. However, a minor complaint is that some of these backgrounds look dead/lack life, which was rarely ever the case for SoR2 and 3.Really hope that's because they're still a work in progress. We need more stages like this, heavy with lighting/atmospherics, and ambient movement, all of which can make a huge difference making the action exciting:

Also in some of the stages the characters just blend in with the bg, which is a contrast/tonal range issue and never a problem in the old games. Characters got to pop. This can still be fixed but they have to be aware.

Hey, glad you're still around! Always enjoy reading the thoughts of someone who has an artistic eye and can analyze d design detail in depth. Indeed, true blue old fashioned hand drawn 2D is indeed a dying art, one that people are increasingly unable to recognize for its beauty or appreciate. Even anime, the last bastion of 2D, is increasingly turning to 3D (yuck).

And yes, character variety is what makes or breaks a beat em up, both playable characters and enemies alike. Part of what makes SoR is so mesmerizing, so infinitely replayable is wide enemy variety/ surprises, which the game introduces at a methodical, measure pace to ensure a fresh experience. Most other beat em ups bare it all in the first 2 or 3 levels and then become stale as no new enemies are introduced besides bosses.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't mind the character design but the guitar and the special attacks with it are very cornball and offputting. I will avoid her for this reason. I never played Skate because the skates seemed silly (and he looked like a kid) but this seems to be farther along the cornball scale.
i cant with this. It looks awesome and zoidberg was corny as fuck.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The moveset is so good, she looks like she's going to be a ton of fun to play with.

gawVaey.gif
WebbedShowyHagfish-size_restricted.gif

A2ctWjN.gif
tumblr_oz3g8fwITo1qjztgpo1_400.gif

silRT8e.gif
B9iBCPd.gif

2SIkNCk.gif
uaIexqk.gif

h4Xe9ZF.jpg

The animation team is killing it.

Espers

Banned
May 12, 2018
I noticed some people are saying her design is very simple but I just realized it is an exact throw back to her dad's design from Streets of Rage 1.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the "smack sounds" when punching baddies was more potent like in the old days. It really used to sound like you were breaking bones. Or the pole sound as well. That fucking "FWOOM-KRRRRRR!" LOL!!!

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Cherry Hunter is a fun name. Also would've taken Virgin Killer.

Not sure I'm feeling this game still which really sucks because I want to love a SoR4.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
i cant with this. It looks awesome and zoidberg was corny as fuck.

Yeah but they're not trying to make Dr. Zoidberg a Streets of Rage character. Apples and Oranges. If these guitar attacks/animations were part of a new Scott Pilgrim beat-em-up it would fit perfectly.

It's fine. Not a big deal. I consider SOR2 the pinnacle of the genre so I'll probably never be completely satisfied with anything else but I'll probably be there day one for this unless reviews are abysmal.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
These are some of the worst soundeffects I have ever heard in a brawler and I pretty much played them all.