• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
knife runners aren't going to hit anybody with their slowmo run. looks good otherwise. don't want to spoil too much though.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen this posted here on Era yet, but here's New off screen footage of gameplay.

Hell yes, that's looking awesome. Love the art style and animation.

lhjhbB9.gif

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Haven't seen this posted here on Era yet, but here's New off screen footage of gameplay.

Gameplay looks awesome, love the supers and the grafics are beautifull

...but what the fuck is going on with the city? Like they gave Streets of Rage a post apocalyptic setting?
They went a little bit TOO MUCH into the whole "urban decay" thing xD

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The boss character being teased already in the first trailer, gives me hope she's playable somehow. She's rad AF.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Really missing that dash. Unless the person playing never thought to double tap the direction button??

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It looks pretty, but kinda basic. I guess there might be some deeper systems underneath these players don't know about. I definitely could use some kinda running option.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
...but what the fuck is going on with the city? Like they gave Streets of Rage a post apocalyptic setting?
In the very beginning of Bare Knuckle 3, a bomb was set off that killed over 30,000 people.
That's just how it goes with this series.

It looks pretty, but kinda basic. I guess there might be some deeper systems underneath these players don't know about. I definitely could use some kinda running option.
I wouldn't be too worried. Neither player knows how to even land from air throws.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely pretty, but not seeing what makes this SoR4 so far. Lot of reused enemies, attacks, effects, sounds, even stage layouts. The music is a big question mark. And there are hints to new additions to combat, but that video looked slower and more shallow than SoRR. So far I'd rather just boot up Remake again.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Definitely pretty, but not seeing what makes this SoR4 so far. Lot of reused enemies, attacks, effects, sounds, even stage layouts. The music is a big question mark. And there are hints to new additions to combat, but that video looked slower and more shallow than SoRR. So far I'd rather just boot up Remake again.

I'll withhold a real opinion until I see better footage but so far I'm with you on this 100%.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Looks great except that it appears to lack running. That was a really good addition in SoR3, and I'm not in favour of going back to SoR2's walk mechanics.

Oct 27, 2017
I played this at PAX East and was impressed with the juggling mechanics. The backgrounds were the only thing that I thought looked poor so far.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Gameplay wise it's not even close to Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. Unless they've really added the running feature. Game lacks fluidity. Even Fight n' Rage looks more fun than this IMO.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Being a recent Streets of Rage 3 convert (Bare Knuckle 3 to be specific. I used to think SoR3 was the weakest, but having played the Japanese version my opinion has made a 180) I hope this game won't feel too sluggish. The added mechanics in BK3 were great.

I just skimmed that off-screen footage and the level was pretty much the first stage in SoR 2, so in this regard as well I'm hoping SoR4 had enough stage variety to be called a sequel.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i'm an SOR diehard, but i feel like pixels and yuzo koshiro are just as important to the legacy as fluid gameplay. i'm cautiously awaiting this, keeping my hopes in check

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They nailed it damn. All looks so vibrant and SOR-ish. I loved it

Come on now. Beside sound (I think Dotemu mentions those were place holders) There's nothing "reused" here lol. Sequels use same enemies and motives. Are you familiar with fighting games and beat'em up at all?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Footage looks great. Aside from juggles, I do wonder what kind of leaps/additions in terms of mechanics have been made over SoR3/BK3 here. Each game in the series has had some sort of major mechanical addition/revamp, and so far, I'm not really seeing that for 4.

Of course, it's just one off screen gameplay video, so it's entirely possible that there's some mechanics that haven't been revealed or talked about yet. Still looks good as is for now, though they really need to confirm dashing at the very least.

Come on now. Beside sound (I think Dotemu mentions those were place holders) There's nothing "reused" here lol. Sequels use same enemies and motives. Are you familiar with fighting games and beat'em up at all?
I'm fine with it (especially since it seems to be blatant nostalgia bait, and I'll gladly eat that shit up), but some new enemy designs wouldn't hurt. Even the SNES Final Fight sequels (Mostly 3, anyway) managed that.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
The visuals look so fuckin nice, and I love how you can no longer knock enemies offscreen. Waiting for enemies to wander back into range is always a pain in the older games, so I like how they consider things like this

Also I like all the graffiti in the BG. I noticed some that says "RIP Mr X" so I suppose this game will have a new villain

Gameplay looks awesome, love the supers and the grafics are beautifull

There are moments in this stage where there are bright cityscapes in the background, so I don't think the entire game will be apocalyptic, just the first couple of states

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

agreed

why a new game if it is basically a slight graphics update(which is not everyones thing but that is another story) and the core game is exactly the same?

i am not really impressed by the game/whole idea, i think SoR didn´t need a fourth entry, it is made to cash in the money given by retro/older players.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Will people ever get used to the amount of iteration and development it takes to make hand-drawn 2D games? All the improvements and refinement here look solid, and I wonder why people had doubt we'd get here in the first place.

There's a nice amount of refinement to the gameplay shown here. Such as how Blaze rebounds out of her back throw (allowing her to flow into more combo attacks, no doubt), or how hitting an enemy with a pipe on the ground is... a hit, while hitting a floating enemy with the same attack causes a ground bounce. It's great to see Fighting Game-like flashes and animations to denote quick rises, safely landing from throws, and getting buffs and heals from items. Also, while much of the move set might be the same ATM, the execution isn't at all such.

Blaze's Kikoho's wall bounce, the slap at the end of her throw causing ground bounce rather than just a down, Axel's Leaping kick Throw ender opening for juggles, and of course, the Super moves, and "risky" system of using clearing moves, and actually getting the health back if you're careful and fighting well. These things will all nicely shift the flow of the game, to something more "modern", but still within the real of the best BEUs, rather than the hodgepodge that often comes from newer games trying to feature cram for box checklist.

I don't mind the lack of running. At all. Minus Zan and Skate, running always felt like something added to SOR 3 just to jump along with the then-current interest of "faster" games. The screen still scrolled slowly, so it felt more like a visual addition, rather than a true change to game pace. Dash attacks are nice, sure, but SOR basically already had those. I loved how Stoic the mature characters felt, and then how spry and nimble Skate felt. The only way I'd like to see running in the game, is if it actually MEANS something. Such as how Hanzo has a dashing Izuna drop in the SamSho series, or how running in wrestling games opens up entirely new throws + parleys into tossing the enemies into the ropes (who now need a run animation, too.)

Those guys with the hands down their pants sides are new, correct? And then, of course, "Diva" the boss. C'mon, the first stage is obviously a way to prove they can make the SOR you know, before they toss their own spin onto things. Fighting through the old to start meeting the new is a BEU staple. I also like how they've added some new personality to the old guys (such as the Mr. Hearts having proper start-up animations to their rolls, now).

SO many modern BEU's seem to lose the understanding on why the classic are so well revered. They add bloated story, leveling systems that diminish the need for learning skill with your moveset, a bunch of moves that actually serve no purpose other than to claim a wealth of content, and then mess up simple things like making blows work properly between slightly different planes, or how to use special moves and attack cancels to access varied motions, not just multi-jumps and dashes.

However, this game seems to "get" a lot of that. It's not trying to fix what isn't broke. It's trying to fit SOR closer to the juggles and spatial control games like AVP and Battle Circuit gave us. Along with a graphic style and presentation that fewer and fewer companies are able to do justice to. Even Disney has cut back on hand-crafted animation like this.

With this getting such a massively expanded preview at BitSummit, I wonder what else was missed from that show floor? Even having watched much of the live streams from the event, I don't remember SOR4 being mentioned once... :(