• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
No running isn't great. SoR 3 played significantly better than SoR 2 IMO, and a large part of that was due to the extra speed and fluidity that running added.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Could just be running hasn't been added to this current build? Music is still placeholder and the Guard Crush guy said they're still refining and adding things to the gameplay. He also said the game has only been in development for a year so everything is still early.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Maybe i m mistaking because i always played bare knuckle 3 on my pal megadrive.

And musics were slower than streets of rage 3

The tracks are being played ~16% slow thanks to the speed difference between the NTSC and PAL systems. Some music engines aren't locked to framerate, some are, and BK/SoR3's is.

Annoyingly, when Sega released the PAL version of SoR3, they adjusted the speed of the game but not the speed of the music. If you play it at 60Hz the music is at the correct speed but then the game is too fast.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You'd be surprised how little the lack of running matters in execution. I played the game at PAX East and came away very impressed. It feels spot on, and the actual movesets and hit detection are thoroughly satisfying.

The game looks and plays great in motion. Skepticism is valuable, but reserve judgment on how much A or B matters until you have the context of having played it.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
You'd be surprised how little the lack of running matters in execution. I played the game at PAX East and came away very impressed. It feels spot on, and the actual movesets and hit detection are thoroughly satisfying.

The game looks and plays great in motion. Skepticism is valuable, but reserve judgment on how much A or B matters until you have the context of having played it.
Agree with all of this and I walked away feeling the exact same after playing a closed door demo at PAX West. The game is fantastic and spot on.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Hopefully skates return. Im curious how they would handle him. He'll definitely be a teen/young adult but the question is would be return as a roller/inline skates. I think i could handle him returning with a skateboard lol

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Skepticism is valuable, but reserve judgment on how much A or B matters until you have the context of having played it.
This is always a huge sticking point for me. It's just as important that the character toolset be balanced against the enemy/obstacle design as it is for that toolset to be satisfying by itself. And that goes for almost all types of games, not just beat-em-ups. I can name several games that are mechanically bare-bones compared to their sequels but are generally more satisfying to play.

Character variety is important as well. Skate is a more appealing character in SOR2 than SOR3 imo simply because he's the only character in that game who can run.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I mean if you want me to put down what I think the next Streets of Rage game should sound like, I'd have to say what current trends in underground jazz-derived dance music styles are. So basically something like Knower:

Stuff like this is a pretty good balance between a forward-looking example going in the direction SoR3's soundtrack was moving in the series with a more throwback-y, soul style akin to the previous two games.

Or maybe, just maybe, something a bit more inspired by Vulfpeck:

I think if you went that way you'd still need to bring in at least a little Junkie XL into the mix, frankly. It could be a good starting point toward appeasing those who want specifically a mid-90s dance throwback sound:

Aphex Twin was also mentioned above. Aphex Twin and Squarepusher are also (hi Christa!) excellent directions to take the music, and as someone who thinks more music needs to sound like Miles Davis's On the Corner am quite down to clown with that kind of sound. (Warning that the video has some intense strobing effects). This specific tune is a bit more subdued than what I think a game like SoR4 requires, mind you.

Limit of 4 media in a post

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017
So much hate for SOR3's soundtrack in here! Personally, I LOVED it, very unique and different from normal game music. I also really love SOR2.

100% agree. I love both soundtracks. No game sounds anything like SOR3 which is really cool. Not that uniqueness alone is enough, but it is also legitimately great and brutal music!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I became a SOR3 OST believer recently. The music is different but as good as prior games. SOR2 is still my favorite though. But you can deny SOR 3 have some gems like Poets and...

I just have to thank you for finding this channel. This guy rips the music from the Genesis games, and then he isolates each channel. It sounds like he then remakes the song by slowly bringing in each channel one at a time to really bring out the best of each tune. He even "remixes" the songs sometimes at the end like here(@4:59):

He has a lot of games on there. Really makes you appreciate the composition a bit more.

I'm finding that I like the sor3 songs a bit better when there isn't so much shit going on in the song. When the beat is isolated like on his YouTube channel is anyway.

That's pretty cool tho.

Also dayum @24:28 here(he remixed the Disco stage song from sor3):

That is fucking fire!

Last edited:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just have to thank you for finding this channel. This guy rips the music from the Genesis games, and then he isolates each channel. It sounds like he then remakes the song by slowly bringing in each channel one at a time to really bring out the best of each tune. He even "remixes" the songs sometimes at the end like here(@4:59):

He has a lot of games on there. Really makes you appreciate the composition a bit more.

I'm finding that I like the sor3 songs a bit better when there isn't so much shit going on in the song. When the beat is isolated like on his YouTube channel is anyway.

That's pretty cool tho.

Also dayum @24:28 here(he remixed the Disco stage song from sor3):

That is fucking fire!

Yeah, one of my fav yt channel. Sor remixes are hot

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I was listening to Janelle Monae's I Got the Juice to see if it would be a worthy inclusion as a potential sound direction for a new game considering that like a lot of her music there's a clear line to it from the house music that populated especially SOR1&2's musical vocabulary while still going for a structural and rhythmic texture with the depth of SOR3, and I realized that while it works quite well I probably ignored in my analysis the single most obvious reference point for modern music that would fit in a SOR context:

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to Janelle Monae's I Got the Juice to see if it would be a worthy inclusion as a potential sound direction for a new game considering that like a lot of her music there's a clear line to it from the house music that populated especially SOR1&2's musical vocabulary while still going for a structural and rhythmic texture with the depth of SOR3, and I realized that while it works quite well I probably ignored in my analysis the single most obvious reference point for modern music that would fit in a SOR context:

It could work. The techno base even fits with the darker tone of SOR4 IMO

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The new footage looks really good, even for off-screen. Definitely can't wait.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen this posted here on Era yet, but here's New off screen footage of gameplay.

Oh shit the backgrounds and ground reflections!!!! WOW WOW WOW.

Edit: dayum that wall bounce combo!

Edit2: oh shit the car crashes into people from the foreground lmaoo!

Walk speed does seem a little on the slow side. Especially since there doesn't appear to be a dash/run anymore.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah movement looks on point. Very fluid and hit feedback looks faithful to the series. I'm going to assume that the instructions on the table at least confirm a PS4 release.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
The game does look a tad bit slow for me but I'll adapt. I'd love a turbo mode to be added in eventually tbh.

Other than that, holy shit everything looks incredible. The visuals, the animations, the artstyle and dem juggle/wall bounce combos!

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
As other have said the walking speed looks too slow, but the rest of it....wowzers. Day 1 for sure!
Do we know if Yuzo Koshiro is doing the music yet?

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Like how it looks, but no running and some enemies being able to move faster than you is annoying. I guess running would break the combo system?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
This looks gorgeous - I really hope this does well. Would love to see more characters and moves added over time.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
While it not being pixel art is still of- putting, the animation really makes it look so much better, it's proper retro style animation with all the right touches everywhere.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
The animations and visuals are very impressive. Gameplay wise though, I still can't help but be disappointed that this is primarily just SoR2 again rather than expanding upon what SoR3 and SoR Remake did. Max being a playable character is really going to make or break SoR4 for me, because I can at least spam his slide to mitigate the lack of running.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, did they hint at anyone?
They didn't specifically , but this cover does show what's possible going by the silhouettes:

StreetsOfRage4.jpg

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Have to admit that is looking pretty good, the weight of the characters and moves look on point. I was hoping for a few more bread-n-butter moves/combos as using that same move set for 3 games now would get a bit tiring but hopefully there is a couple more we haven't seen other than the new specials and a couple of new holds.

Billy Lee

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
That looks great! I'm warming to the art style. I hope they improve the sound effects. They sound a bit flat right now and not crunchy like SoR2.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the accumulation of stars affects your forward-forward punch like in SoR3. If so, it would be a super interesting dynamic to debate cashing out for an ultra attack or holding onto them for increasingly better forward-forward attacks. Love the juggles. Everything looks on point - even the walk speed. It's just in wide-screen now.

Last edited: