• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypcRg6z2S1I

This came out a few weeks ago but didn't appear to get much attention until it was posted on r/speedrun today. So I'm posting it now. Last 10 minutes or so are a nailbiter.

And yes, this is the first time this has ever provably been done without cheats. It literally took 26 years.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Real hardware too apparently.

He was so close to dying in the elevator with the Electras and Zamza

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Watched the last level, and yeah that was incredible. Most intense elevator fight since The Winter Soldier.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. That's history in the making right there.

In order to truly appreciate it this, you'd have to had played sor2 to understand the AI. He had to bait the AI perfectly, or they would engage him with their wake up reversals. If he was just a bit off in spacing and timing, he would suffer huge damage.

That's what makes the elevator sequence so special. He was juggling multiple enemies in the corner with different wake up reversals. I would have folded easily. That right there made me sweat because i know how dirty the AI can be.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
DoTz.gif

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if there was anyone in the world that was going to clear SOR2 on Mania with one life, it'd be Anthopants.
Dude is amazing.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Shiva's flipkicks not hit him even though they're touching them? Are there some sort of invincibility frames at the top of a jump?

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Holy crap, watched the last ten minutes and him being a hit away in the penultimate elevator sequence had me unknowingly clenching my butt. Incredible job by Anthopants. I couldn't even beat SoR2 when I was a kid, can't imagine trying to now on Mania difficulty.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I love runs of games like this, that last section had me tense as hell. That is some serious skill!

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Shiva's flipkicks not hit him even though they're touching them? Are there some sort of invincibility frames at the top of a jump?

I don't understand well enough the mechanics but it has to be something related to that. With the video it's crystal clear he has total knowledge of when each enemy appears, how to get the best of invincibility frames from throws and such.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Man, I've done this in the first game, but there are a bunch of problem spots in the second that have made me feel like this was beyond my reach. Didn't realize nobody had actually documented it being done until now, so that makes me feel a bit better, haha.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
What a fantastic playthrough of a fantastic game. The epitome of "easy to learn, difficult to master."

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
That's crazy. Me and my neighbour used to play SoR2 on mania all the time, we could clear it but whe had to select 9 lives and 9 continues to do so. Mania wasn't even available normally, you had to input a cheat code to select it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Impressive and awesome!!! Ty for sharing!

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WOW...I used to play on Mania with 9 lives cheat with a friend and still would have a challenge getting through without using at least a few Continues.

That's damn impressive.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
How the fuck did I not know you could land on your feet after being thrown? So mad right now.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Holy crap, this was absolutely amazing. What a display of skill! 7-Evelator and the Mr. X fight was nail biting.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Oh my god. That's history in the making right there.

In order to truly appreciate it this, you'd have to had played sor2 to understand the AI. He had to bait the AI perfectly, or they would engage him with their wake up reversals. If he was just a bit off in spacing and timing, he would suffer huge damage.

That's what makes the elevator sequence so special. He was juggling multiple enemies in the corner with different wake up reversals. I would have folded easily. That right there made me sweat because i know how dirty the AI can be.
My thoughts exactly. I'd have definitely cracked during that elevator sequence (To say nothing about how difficult everything before it is)

Oct 26, 2017
I used to play this game repeatedly as a kid and I knew I loved it but it wasn't until I went back to it as an adult that I really appreciated just how sublimely it's put together. It truly is one of the greatest games of the 16-bit era.
I always viewed mania as kind of a joke difficulty but this dude's so far beyond me in terms of skill and knowledge, massive respect.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
i said goddamn! he's cheesing at parts, but that's literally his only chance, and fucking it up could throw everything away...props