• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Now Persona Q2 is released and is considered one of the last big 3DS releases, I'd love to look back on one of the features of 3DS that is often ignored but is something I personally really loved, the StreetPass system.

What is StreetPass?

Walking around with your 3DS while having wireless connectivity on let you tag other people. Next to some built in features of the 3DS, a lot of games supported this feature to. Take a look:

Personally I loved the Atlus games using the feature. For example, SMT IV let you lend out demons to other people you StreetPass'ed and vice versa, getting cool unique demon's that fused with your own demon's getting some pretty crazy results.

Also I had some crazy run ins with people on my daily commute, bumping in the same people over and over again, in time kind of developing a StreetPass relation with people. The function really helped taking my 3DS with me even if I didn't feel like playing, but only to meet people through StreeetPass.

Any crazy, cool or hilarious StreetPass stories you guys wanna share? Also, what are games that utilized the StreetPass feature in a unique way? Love to hear it!

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being in Japan in 2013 and having to check my 3DS every five minutes because you're only limited to 10 people and that's how long it took to pass by 10 3DS owners.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I used to work at a university bookstore and would bring my 3DS every day. The campus attracted a lot of international students and tourists so I would constantly have cool street passes from all sorts of countries. I remember I street passed a Japanese person who was playing Animal Crossing like 8 months before it came out in English and was quite jealous.

Bilollipop

Nov 26, 2017
Canada
The first time I went to Japan was a year into the 3DS's life.
I got 300 people in the course of a week and completed every puzzle available.

Bravely Default made me miss having that many people streetpassing.

Deleted member 49574

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2018
Norway
nah.. Living on the coast of Norway it was terrible experience. actually had to cheat using homepass if i wanted any passes at all

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I walk to work in NYC. It was a lot of fun collecting Streetpasses from countries around the world! Your human brain knows that gaming is everywhere, but filling up that map really puts the vastness of it all into perspective. It's a little insignificant thing that I miss on the Switch.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I never met anybody with street pass.
:(
Oh well... Still love the little console.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My kid was very young and we bought Disneyland passes (right before she was the age we had to pay for her). So many hits at Disneyland.

Too bad it completely killed the battery in standby mode, though I guess there was no way around it.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda miss the era of quirky system features.
It's hard to imagine something like the Everybody Votes channel, the DSi music app, or the WaraWara Plaza on the Switch's sterile OS.

OP
OP
7threst

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I'll never forget the first time I brought it to a convention. I had to clear out StreetPass so often to make way for new Miis. Ugh. Such a great feature.
I loved it! A lot of Mii's made that weird built in RPG game so cool, expecially multiple StreetPasses from the same people, which led them to level up so summoning them for battles together with whoever was on your plaze made battles so much easier!

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Probably the one feature from the 3ds/wii u era that I'll seriously miss
Was amazing, even just having it in my bag at school I'd get 5-6 every day and it was a ton of fun completing the puzzles and playing the minirpg

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Meh. Pretty much never got Street Pass matches. Useless feature for me and a lot of people

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Being in NYC, I had a lot of amazing experiences... especially on the walk to work and the subway. On my commute, I would regularly run into the same people and so you'd send messages back and forth to one another because you started to get familiar with their Mii.

One guy, I just got a WHOLE lot... all the time, and he basically became my go to guy in the mini games... just devastating to use in that RPG that came with Street Pass. We would send messages because we were confused how we were running into each other... then one day, I saw him, he was in my building lobby and he was a neighbor of mine - we recognized each other by our Miis. Really funny and semi creepy, but really funny.

I wish Switch had it... it's the perfect system for it, and I run into a lot of people on planes and trains carrying and playing Switch.

OP
OP
7threst

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Being in NYC, I had a lot of amazing experiences... especially on the walk to work and the subway. On my commute, I would regularly run into the same people and so you'd send messages back and forth to one another because you started to get familiar with their Mii.

One guy, I just got a WHOLE lot... all the time, and he basically became my go to guy in the mini games... just devastating to use in that RPG that came with Street Pass. We would send messages because we were confused how we were running into each other... then one day, I saw him, he was in my building lobby and he was a neighbor of mine - we recognized each other by our Miis. Really funny and semi creepy, but really funny.

I wish Switch had it... it's the perfect system for it, and I run into a lot of people on planes and trains carrying and playing Switch.
Lol that's why I started this thread, because I really miss a feature like this on Switch. StreetPass would be so great on it. I'm afraid Nintendo will never implement a feature or something similar like this on Switch probably :(

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I streetpassed(?) someone a few years ago who was playing DGS and that made me feel sad and sad.

I don't remember too many other moments.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I went to a lot of PAX so I got pretty spoiled by getting a ton of streetpasses in a short amount of time. Many from different countries around the world, and I don't think I quite finished a full map of any country that had more than a handful of regions (I think I'm still missing 2x states from the US).

I'm contemplating bringing my 3DS to Japan in the fall for Streetpass alone, but I'd probably just leave it in the room other than the airport and such... so ehh.

tl;dr it was a great feature, and I do miss it.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Lol that's why I started this thread, because I really miss a feature like this on Switch. StreetPass would be so great on it. I'm afraid Nintendo will never implement a feature or something similar like this on Switch probably :(
If I was trying to complete a puzzle.. I'd make sure to bring it by the line at Nintendo World Store when they had a line - it was the best way to cheat.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Streetpass was a great feature. It's too bad they didn't bring it to switch. When I lived in South Carolina, we started a thing at our local gamestop/best buy shopping center that we dubbed "Streetpass Saturday". Met lots of cool people and played lots of games. It was a good time while it lasted.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I haven't had a DS since a little while after the DSi came out. I used it for a while and then traded it in for credit towards my wife's WiiU.

Picked up a 2DS a few weeks ago so I could finish some of my old DS games I still had and remembered the StreetPass feature. I've been carrying it around with me everywhere since day one and haven't had a single hit. I checked online to see if it was a discontinued feature but it seems like only the public street pass points were turned off.

I should still be able to technically pass by other 2/3DS's and get hits, right?

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

That's very funny. I had a similar experience with a fellow StreetPasser who would show up just about every day when I'd walk through Grand Central on the way home. Eventually we recognized each other by our Miis on the same train home, and for a long while after connecting, we'd share seats on the train and play Animal Crossing together. NYC was a great place for collecting StreetPasses from all over.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Streetpass was fun as heck. I carried my 3DS everywhere back in college. I got so close to getting a pass from someone from every U.S. state...

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only time I got street pass to hit in the entire time I owned a 3DS (besides with my wife) is when we went to the Zelda Symphony back in 2013 or so. It was glorious since it was hundreds of hits in one day, but man... an absolutely worthless feature if you lived outside of a major city in the US.

Nov 3, 2017
StreetPass is honestly a very endearing feature. I really do enjoy seeing that blue notification light after taking my 3DS out. I especially loved visiting people's homes in New leaf after StreetPassing with them.

I never really understood why when someone tries to talk about StreetPass everybody suddenly lives in the middle of nowhere... I'd love to see the feature return in a future console where its flaws were addressed.

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I take my 3DS with me everywhere I go, the only time I'd get StreetPass hits was during the Sony E3 Experience movie theater events. Once a year I'd get 8-10 passes. I'm going to miss that happening this year.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Never really had any since nobody around here ever had their 3DS on them when going around town. I got more hits at a Best Buy, GameStop, or whatever other stores had those stations, but it was a ghost town otherwise.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I used to Streetpass with this girl every day. One day we met in person and it was wonderful. We made love by the lake under the light of the July 4th fireworks. Turns out she was my mother.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Took my 3DS to three Pax conventions. That really helped fill up my US map!

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was once pretty sure I saw Garrett Hunter of Mega64 at a Halloween spooky trail thing but I wasn't sure it was him.

Later on when I got home, I was playing StreetPass Plaza and I had his Mii and his greeting was "I work for Mega64!"

So it totally was him.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Street Pass was legitimately one of my favorite features of the 3ds. Going to E3 with the thing, or any con really, was a treat!

OP
OP
7threst

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I haven't had a DS since a little while after the DSi came out. I used it for a while and then traded it in for credit towards my wife's WiiU.

Picked up a 2DS a few weeks ago so I could finish some of my old DS games I still had and remembered the StreetPass feature. I've been carrying it around with me everywhere since day one and haven't had a single hit. I checked online to see if it was a discontinued feature but it seems like only the public street pass points were turned off.

I should still be able to technically pass by other 2/3DS's and get hits, right?
Yeah, the feature still works but the people carrying their 3DS with them is in steep decline unfortunately. Still, hitting open spaces like malls and train stations as well as conventions and game stores should probably help.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
I work in a theme park in orlando so when i would come in to work every day for like 2 years i would have my 3DS on me while working. I made quite a few friends from across the ocean when they kept crossing me. It was an awesome thing but seems like it would suck in a rural area.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I loved StreetPass! I loved taking my 3DS with me on trips and seeing that green light in the corner of the system. I miss it.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it was cool to see all the streetpass hits you can get when in places like conventions, but isn't this also the reason why the 3ds has awful standy battery life?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I really enjoyed it but there wasn't enough people using it even on my college campus. Id get like 2 or 3 hits when I was there and zero in the town I lived in.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I live in the tristate area and everyday got a street pass from different people. It was a fun feature, even when i worked in different towns, i managed to get several passes in a day.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I still take my 2DS when I'm around the Japanese neighborhood near me because I'll sometimes get one person who I assume is there buying manga or something, but it's rare to get anything anymore. It was a really fun feature.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Find Mii was a legit game of the generation contender for me TBH. Such a unique, addictive experience.

StreetPass was one of the most ingenious features ever put into gaming hardware, if even just for those in highly populated areas.

jankinkraut

Nov 20, 2017
I love Streetpass, especially the little feeling you get when the green light goes on. It would almost feel like a little security blanket when I would carry it with me (I had bad social anxiety a few years ago). I remember going to Japan in 2014 and riding the metro there, I would open my 3DS and try to clear as many new miis as I could before my stop came.

Normally I'd be lucky to get more than one or two a day, and this was when I was working right in the centre of a big Australian city. Was kind of blown away by the density of ownership in Japan, it just seemed so cool to me.

I still take my 2DS when I'm around the Japanese neighborhood near me because I'll sometimes get one person who I assume is there buying manga or something, but it's rare to get anything anymore. It was a really fun feature.

Was going to ask if people are still carrying around their 3DS in Japan. It would be sad if people stopped using it over there.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was awesome and I made a couple of friend through it. Shame that the 3DS here in the Netherlands is as good as dead. I never got the final couple of mini games since the relay system was shut down and never managed to get all the puzzle pieces because of it. I still take my 3DS with me whenever I go into different cities, but it doesn't result in any success anymore :(

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
As a long time Disneyland annual passholder, bringing the DS to the park was always fun since I would fill up on tags while walking around, then clear them out while waiting in line.

If the Switch had this feature, I'd take it with me a lot more often.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I always tagged this one guy on my commute to work everyday during the first year of the 3ds . It feels kinda connected to him. Too bad there's no way for me to actually find out who he is or connect with the dude