• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Looks much better now, I love these type of games!

Can't unsee that everything is just mirrored when characters turn left/right though, righthanded becomes lefthanded, hair to the right changes to hair to the left, etc etc. Hopefully it's something they plan to change, minor problem but annoying when you notice it.

The amount of work that would require to change is astronomical, it's not happening

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a lot of SoRR lately in anticipation for this game and this does seem really slow in comparison. The art style and animations are fantastic though and the juggle system looks fun. Still one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
How exactly did SoR rip off Final Fight? Outside of being a 2D brawler, SoR added specials (calling in that police car for the first time), better animation, larger spites, larger moveset for the characters and even air attacks by tossing a partner. It even allowed for two players at the same time where the SNES only allowed for one player (yes, the Sega CD allowed for 2).

It even allowed for two players at the same time? You do realize Final Fight is an arcade game from 1989, don't you? And that version had 2 player co-op. Also weird that you're bringing up "better animation" as if that's a sign of the game not taking from Final Fight. By the way Final Fight was inspired by Double Dragon, it's not a crime.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I also don't believe that SoR ripped Final Fight off, but did it really have larger sprites? And better animation? Even if you are comparing console to console and not against arcade Final Fight, from my recollection those particular aspects were better with FF.

SoR definitely didn't have bigger sprites. Final Fight's sprites for the time were MASSIVE. I didn't own a Genesis growing up, so never played much SoR. You can probably figure out that I'm a big fan of FF though lol.

On topic, this looks like it's shaping up nicely!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Streets of Rage? Looks like Final Fight. Watching that video the only thing it did was remind me how bad SoR ripped off Final Fight back in the day. Hopefully Capcom is eyeing this and hopefully it's a success. I'd love to see them bring the OG back to take the throne.

Final Fight is ass.

It wishes it was ever as good as Streets of Rage.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh... looks unambitious.
Same enemies, same power ups, same weapon types, same sound effects, largely the same moves...
It's billed as a sequel but appears to be more of a rehash. A shame they've played it so safe and presented something so predictable.

I can see why they doing this. Similar approach to The Force Awakens IMO. I have no doubts new content and enemies will be in the final game.

Axel, not Blaze :) He's had some progression.

UVjMXPU.jpg

I think Blaze looks incredible, by the way. Like she actually lifts or something.

Love that Axel upper body progression! He skipped legs day though

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of work that would require to change is astronomical, it's not happening
I know I've done it myself for my crappy game, but it's so worth it when it's done, gives more variations to the characters too. You can cheat a lot when drawing digitally though, mirror with the software and just change the details that needs to change. If you think about it and work with layers from the start you can cheat even more.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Looks absolutely AMAZING! I do agree that it seems to be a bit slow. They really should've added in a run mechanic. Looking forward to the release date and additional characters.

augmental

Oct 30, 2017
There are only 2 playable characters? Wasn't there 3-4 in prior games? Do you think they will have an added option to allow running maybe?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Streets of Rage 2 is way better than Final Fight.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
This looks better than I thought it would based on the trailer. I'm not sharing the concern of old designs being used. It's simply too early to say. This is likely the first stage, in which the developers intend to reacquaint players with SoR. New enemy types and stages may very well be added as the game progresses.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hah, the old FF vs SoR arguments, feels like I'm back in 1995. Thing is SoR2 is the one everyone remembers and is everyone's favorite because it was so amazing for the time. Let's face it, this genre was always very repetitive and boring, but SoR2 managed to keep it very diverse and fun due to the amazing moveset. Simple to execute, easy to learn and extremely satisfying when they came off.

Apr 24, 2018
Looking good. Art doesn't put me off, and I hope to hell that skate is in it.

And streets of rage shits allover final fight. Being a beatemup doesn't make it a rip-off of final fight either people.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the belt animations on Blaze. They did a really nice job on this; looking forward to playing it!

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I hope the developers didnt use SoR2 as the base for this game. You cant release a beat'em up without a run command in 2019.

SoR2 is a good game but I cant put it in a pedestal with the greats of the genre. Captain Commando is superior to any SoR game and was released around the same time than SoR1. If you keep the comparisons to console games, sure, the moment you start putting arcade games in the discussion SoR2 is at disadvantage.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it has the movement of SoR3, or maybe give us a choice? Is Yuzo gonna compose this game? Wouldn't be the same without him.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hah, the old FF vs SoR arguments, feels like I'm back in 1995. Thing is SoR2 is the one everyone remembers and is everyone's favorite because it was so amazing for the time. Let's face it, this genre was always very repetitive and boring, but SoR2 managed to keep it very diverse and fun due to the amazing moveset. Simple to execute, easy to learn and extremely satisfying when they came off.

I think Double Dragon Neon had some great additions that made beat 'em up combat more interesting, like Gleam and Mixtapes.

If a player executes a well-timed crouch or dodge-roll, their character will trigger Gleam time, flashing red and dealing double damage with all attacks for the next few seconds while also instantly regaining a considerable amount of energy to perform special moves.

A Mix Tape is a piece of equipment in Double Dragon Neon. It can be dropped by enemies, found in treasure chests, or purchased from the Shopkeeper. Players can equip two mix tapes: one Stance (which raises their stats and sometimes gives them special abilities) and one Sosetsitsu (which allows them to use energy to perform a special attack).

Finding or purchasing additional copies of the same mix tape will boost its level, increasing its effectiveness. Initially, the level cap for each mix tape is 10, but the Tapesmith can boost it as high as 50.

So far the only thing I'm seeing from SOR4 that's any different from the norm is recoverable grey life after doing a special attack.

Without dash/running and dodge rolls SOR4 actually looks more basic than SOR3.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, visually, I'm impressed, but gameplay wise, it looks backwards from SoR3 and SoR Remake, which is highly disappointing for a supposed sequel.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Streets of Rage? Looks like Final Fight. Watching that video the only thing it did was remind me how bad SoR ripped off Final Fight back in the day. Hopefully Capcom is eyeing this and hopefully it's a success. I'd love to see them bring the OG back to take the throne.
SoR 2 in particular is so far ahead of anything any of the Final Fight games did it's not even funny. The choice of 4 very different characters with a much larger moveset combined with greater enemy and stage variety is why many still regard it as the gold standard for the genre.

Watching the video, it looks like they've really nailed the flow of the gameplay and understand what made SoR2 play so well. I particularly like the nod to Ayano Koshiro's opening stage concept of the car crashing into the wall that never made the final cut.
9GQCiPj.jpghttp:

This gives me confidence that they really respect the source material , I'm genuinely enthused after watching this.

A few things of note.
1. The limited use super attack in the vein of the first game is interesting, it looks like a small area crowd control move as opposed to a smart bomb style attack. You see the star icons under the health bar that indicate how many the player has. Seems the game has this while retaining the special move system from SoR2.

2. Limited regenerating health means you're not relying solely on pickups, and it looks like they don't place one for each player now so this may come in handy.

3. The juggling is interesting and looks like it adds a new dimension to coop gameplay. I particularly liked it when the Blaze player sent the enemy flying and the Axel character smashed them into the ground with the pole, bouncing them up.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Hopefully when you grapple an enemy, forward-attack hits the enemy, and neutral-attack/back-attack throws them

In Final Fight it's the opposite and it drives me nuts

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully when you grapple an enemy, forward-attack hits the enemy, and neutral-attack/back-attack throws them

In Final Fight it's the opposite and it drives me nuts
If it's like SoR2. Forward attack does a combo, neutral does a single higher damage attack, back throws them and jump vaults over them. Just pressing back will let go.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still don't care for the art style or chunky Axel, but it still looks pretty good. I hope the OST is great, at least.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see them incorporate the classic sound effects, makes a huge difference

Not a fan of Axel's redesign at all but the game looks good in motion

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The sequels certainly but the original (arcade) version of Final Fight is better than the original SOR.

And regardless, Final Fight's influence on the beat-em-up genre is nearly as profound as SFII's influence on the fighting genre.

It most assuredly seems shallow when compared to what came after (even Capcom's own efforts eclipsed it) but for the time FF was the shit.