• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
As said in the other thread, when you have players grappling each other by accident, you know you nailed the gameplay.

Can't wait.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
VgE3IpU.jpg

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Streets of Rage

And I mean that in the best way

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Not very fond of that graphic style but it's well done.
It's SOR2 through and through though, even ignoring the few good things SOR3 brought to the table (read: running).
It's a remake/remix more than it is a sequel.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Can you still do flying kicks? Watched quite a bit of that video and didn't see any. Which is strange given it was an easy move to knock a couple of enemies down at once.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Ehhh... looks unambitious.
Same enemies, same power ups, same weapon types, same sound effects, largely the same moves...
It's billed as a sequel but appears to be more of a rehash. A shame they've played it so safe and presented something so predictable.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Same enemies, same power ups, same weapon types, same sound effects, largely the same moves...
It's billed as a sequel but appears to be more of a rehash. A shame they've played it so safe and presented something so predictable.

This is a slight concern I have too, with regards to the enemies at least. I think I mentioned in the other thread that I don't particularly want to hear any old SoR music in the game either except for maybe SoR theme, and it's for pretty much this reason. Having old enemies is fine as all the games shared some enemies, but I hope there's plenty of original stuff too as I'm not a fan of things going for 99% nostalgia.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Day one. The grey life (or green in this case) is a cool tweak to the use specials that consume life. You can gain it back if you attack and don't get hit

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
The walking speed in this game is pretty slow.

Anyway, the wall and floor bounce stuff is cool.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Oh man, I wish I could play that game right now.
It's unfinished and it still looks awesome.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Since it's been 25 years since SoR3, this is the best approach.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Watching this again...I desperately need running in this game.

Funny thing is that that is the first thing Axl does in the reveal trailer.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Can't disagree with any of this. I hope they want to invoke nostalgia at first so they start off with the familiar stuff but it opens up to become its own thing later on. I don't want to end up coming away with the feeling that I'd be better off playing SOR:Remake instead of a new SOR when the finished product becomes available after waiting so long for Sega to make a Streets of Rage game.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Looks great. I was concerned with the character design that the game was going to be too bright and cartoony, but looks like with the environment/background it all meshes nicely .

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting similar vibes. If there's something fresh to this game then it's their fault that they're not showing it off properly.

Axel, not Blaze :) He's had some progression.

UVjMXPU.jpg

I think Blaze looks incredible, by the way. Like she actually lifts or something.

Oh I spaced out lol

Yeah can't disagree too much about Axel.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Looks like Streets of Rage? Looks like Final Fight. Watching that video the only thing it did was remind me how bad SoR ripped off Final Fight back in the day. Hopefully Capcom is eyeing this and hopefully it's a success. I'd love to see them bring the OG back to take the throne.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Isn't it a bit slow?
Goddamn, still not feeling the lack of a running animation. That's a regression in gameplay imo.
I just hope they implement some kind of sprint button because the pace is kind of slowish, but everything else is perfect.
The lack of running/rolling evens the playing field and forces the player to learn how to more carefully space themselves between enemies, leading to a more intense game. Gives the game a more deliberate pace. Skate only worked because his running compensated for his low damage. Allowing everyone to run in SoR3 broke the gameplay, honestly.
Mechanically unambitious maybe... but no one should take key framed hand drawn animation this laborious for granted in this day and age. It's impressive how they've managed to retain the feel of SoR with a layer of slick modern french anime on top.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Looks like Streets of Rage? Looks like Final Fight. Watching that video the only thing it did was remind me how bad SoR ripped off Final Fight back in the day. Hopefully Capcom is eyeing this and hopefully it's a success. I'd love to see them bring the OG back to take the throne.
How exactly did SoR rip off Final Fight? Outside of being a 2D brawler, SoR added specials (calling in that police car for the first time), better animation, larger spites, larger moveset for the characters and even air attacks by tossing a partner. It even allowed for two players at the same time where the SNES only allowed for one player (yes, the Sega CD allowed for 2).

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
How exactly did SoR rip off Final Fight? Outside of being a 2D brawler, SoR added specials (calling in that police car for the first time), better animation, larger spites, larger moveset for the characters and even air attacks by tossing a partner. It even allowed for two players at the same time where the SNES only allowed for one player (yes, the Sega CD allowed for 2).

I also don't believe that SoR ripped Final Fight off, but did it really have larger sprites? And better animation? Even if you are comparing console to console and not against arcade Final Fight, from my recollection those particular aspects were better with FF.

socksfelloff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not taking sides but it's worth noting that the original arcade version of Final Fight, which predates the console ports and SoR1, allowed for 2 players.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Not very fond of that graphic style but it's well done.
It's SOR2 through and through though, even ignoring the few good things SOR3 brought to the table (read: running).
It's a remake/remix more than it is a sequel.

Watching that, I kind wish they'd done the sonic mania route and done a new game in the original style but souped up a bit.

Or even better, have an r-type like switch where you can switch between classic and new styles

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It actually looks a lot better than I expected in motion. I'm cautiously optimistic after seeing that.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the game needs a run. Maybe I should be glad I never got into 3 or the fan remake, because otherwise I might feel differently

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I assume most people would go to the arcade version of Final Fight as a reference point , not the (relatively) downported SNES version. Arcade FF looked better than SoR and had co-op.

Also SoR clearly was a Final Fight clone, let's be real. Not saying it wasn't a good game but it was pretty blatant.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Looks much better now, I love these type of games!

Can't unsee that everything is just mirrored when characters turn left/right though, righthanded becomes lefthanded, hair to the right changes to hair to the left, etc etc. Hopefully it's something they plan to change, minor problem but annoying when you notice it.