• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Catching up with the sajam/max/vesper vids, and seeing that James Chen tweet, is just fucking depressing. 4 fucking years. I know Ono is beloved and he's dealing with high up fuckery, but proper online IS THE GAME. You fucking fight people 1v1. That's it. If you can't stress how important that is to management then you need to fucking step down.

It's not a luxury, it is the fucking GAME.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I love this, it exposes what we always suspected and what experienced devs on the subject have been saying, they could fix the netcode with a very small cost and they just don't bother, it also puts the issue at the forefront and causes Capcom to deal with the subject and not pretend that everything is good.
Anything that might cause a change is a plus in my book. I haven't played the game since the first year, netcode was among the many issues i had with the game.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I love this, it exposes what we always suspected and what experienced devs on the subject have been saying, they could fix the netcode with a very small cost and they just don't bother, it also puts the issue at the forefront and causes Capcom to deal with the subject and not pretend that everything is good.
Anything that might cause a change is a plus in my book. I haven't played the game since the first year, netcode was among the many issues i had with the game.

it really doesnt fix anything, it throws a wrench into the entire network

Crossplay is now unplayable
Ranked/casual is now unplayable

it made everything worse.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
it really doesnt fix anything, it throws a wrench into the entire network

Crossplay is now unplayable
Ranked/casual is now unplayable

it made everything worse.

Sure crossplay should probably be disabled now but how is ranked/casual unplayable?
Just play with ps4 other users. It is a much bigger community anyway. You can still play with your friends if you tell them to disable the mod.

The mod proves that the issue is indeed what other devs that commented on the subject suspected and that it is not that hard to fix.

If both players have the patch the results are much much better for the majority of matches, outliers and bad connections will always exist, no code is going to make every match playable.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I've had the bug where the match just comes to a halt and I've also had another where the game feels like it's slowing down. But almost all other matches have been the most fun I've had with this friggin game I've bought so long ago. I wish this was permanent 😭 I would have bought additional characters but I just know it's gonna get axed.

Oct 25, 2017
The mod proves that the issue is indeed what other devs that commented on the subject suspected and that it is not that hard to fix.
That would only be the case if the mod actually fixed the netcode, instead of just making it break differently. I can't believe this "not that hard to fix" narrative is co-existing with the "he's just one guy so please excuse its faults" narrative. If Capcom, or any dev, put out a fix that performs like this one as an official update, people would think it was not good enough. "but expectations should be higher for a dev than a modder!" yes they should, but the objective performance of the fix remains the same, and that's what actually matters.

The fact that this guy banged something out and distributed it without testing does not logically lead to the conclusion that "this was easy to fix." Adding a sprinkling of delay based syncing in a game designed for rollback isn't anyone's ideal solution, is it?

Kashibaba

Oct 25, 2017
That would only be the case if the mod actually fixed the netcode, instead of just making it break differently. I can't believe this "not that hard to fix" narrative is co-existing with the "he's just one guy so please excuse its faults" narrative. If Capcom, or any dev, put out a fix that performs like this one as an official update, people would think it was not good enough. "but expectations should be higher for a dev than a modder!" yes they should, but the objective performance of the fix remains the same, and that's what actually matters.

The fact that this guy banged something out and distributed it without testing does not logically lead to the conclusion that "this was easy to fix." Adding a sprinkling of delay based syncing in a game designed for rollback isn't anyone's ideal solution, is it?
But you don't understand I can play with people from Saudi Arabia and Brazil now and i don't get rollbacks!!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it does. Because he's one guy and it took him 2 days to make PC v PC feel good to play. Capcom could have put out a better fix years ago if they wanted to.
Absolutely Capcom should have done more. I don't know if I have to say that every time I post in this thread, but let's just pretend I have.

Sometimes PC vs. PC doesn't feel good. That's the whole point I'm making. This "fix" certainly changes things, but also introduces new kinds of weirdness. Would people call that a "fix" if it was the result of an official release? The fact that this fix isn't perfect is exactly why people should hold off on proclaiming it was easy or that Capcom could have spent 2 days working on it and we'd all be living in paradise.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Played for two hours today and I like the mod.
It is not ideal, but I was able to play against people from far away and the quality was decent. Before the mod, those games would be unplayable.

I have to donate to the guy. He did more for me than Capcom did in the past few years.
I get happy just thinking about playing the game again.

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
Yeah I played a few hours today with the mod, vs PC only in casual/ranked, and it's the most consistent experience I've ever had with SFV online.

I didn't really notice any obvious teleporting/skipping which I'd usually see some form of within about 1 in 4 matches. It just felt better to me overall.
My opponents consistently rematched so things couldn't have been bad on their end either.
The little lag I did experience was nothing out of the ordinary.

This obviously isn't a 'consumer ready' fix but hopefully it leads to something changing, I don't think I could go back to not using this mod.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely Capcom should have done more. I don't know if I have to say that every time I post in this thread, but let's just pretend I have.

Sometimes PC vs. PC doesn't feel good. That's the whole point I'm making. This "fix" certainly changes things, but also introduces new kinds of weirdness. Would people call that a "fix" if it was the result of an official release? The fact that this fix isn't perfect is exactly why people should hold off on proclaiming it was easy or that Capcom could have spent 2 days working on it and we'd all be living in paradise.

That capcom hasn't done anything in 4 years is the reason this is even happening.

For me, this makes the game playable with friends for the first time ever. I'm not in ranked with it, but I'm not going to blame anything but capcom's incompetence that we are where we are. Capcom should have fixed this years ago. It shouldn't be so simple for a single person to have a widespread impact on the netcode (good or bad).

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Your point is bad.

Vesper said 99% of his marches were perfect after the patch. Sheldon had hundreds of matches that were flawless etc...

Bad net and bad connectivity will ALWAYS happen sometimes. Regardless of netcode. You think you only get perfect matches on Mortal Kombat lol ?

We went from absolute nightmare to 9/10 matches being incredible.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
That capcom hasn't done anything in 4 years is the reason this is even happening.

For me, this makes the game playable with friends for the first time ever. I'm not in ranked with it, but I'm not going to blame anything but capcom's incompetence that we are where we are. Capcom should have fixed this years ago. It shouldn't be so simple for a single person to have a widespread impact on the netcode (good or bad).

Why not in other sectors of networking it literally is what a few people did when others told them it couldn't be done.

your right it shouldn't but we don't live in that reality.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because I play all my fighting games on ps4 but I bought SFV on PC 3 weeks ago because of various reasons.

I'll say that I experienced bad rollbacks on ps4 too before though. But I have fast connection and a ps4pro so I guess that's because the one sided issue still applied to me. Urgh.

The game is just so much more fun when it's consistent and stable.

Like now that Champion Edition added some fantasy to every character, you can actually enjoy what's there when you don't have to deal with invisible cross ups and grab spam you can't react to. T.T

SanwaDenshiMonster

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 11, 2019
My matches have been mostly good so far for the last 2 days.

It's going to be bittersweet when they nuke it during maintenance or something.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Welp I fixed my disconnecting issue it was Battle Net causing problems being opened at the same time as SFV lol. Been playing matches with PC players Canada and Japan so far it has been good. Its really good when its US only. Got those slow down matches a couple of times.

Just had a match with someone from Africa and it was great. This is amazing so far.

Last edited:

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
3h3su0gdru941.png

Csr

Nov 6, 2017

Not sure what you are talking about, vast majority of players are saying that it is much better than what we have now. If capcom applied the patch as is to every ps4 and pc it would still be a big improvement over the current netcode.
The only negative compared to what we have right now is that it can't be applied to everyone.

Meguro

Oct 27, 2017
The "it breaks crossplay!!!" talk is hilarious to me as a PC player. If any of you PS4 folk didn't know, PC players took the brunt of the rollback when playing against y'all before this fix. It's the reason I turned crossplay off in the first place.
On the mod: It works 90% of the time and has resulted in me playing the best matches of SFV online ever. Y'all can keep talking about a few matches where it didn't but it's a huge improvement and Capcom should be raked over the coals for either their greed or incompetence on the matter.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that not all PC players are guaranteed to be using this patch, and some don't want to use it when they go on Ranked/Casual matchmaking because they don't want to make PC players who aren't using it or PS4 players lag. The whole thing is a mess.

PS4 users who just play against each other are in a less chaotic state, but they also have an overall worse online than PC patch vs PC patch.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Not only does this not fix anything, it breaks the game for anybody not using it.

I feel like I can no longer play a game that I purchased twice because somebody decided to "fix" the netcode and a bunch of people downloaded the hack willy nilly. What a shame.

Hopefully the game is updated to detect and block it sooner than later.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only does this not fix anything, it breaks the game for anybody not using it.

I feel like I can no longer play a game that I purchased twice, including a lot of DLC on both platforms, because somebody decided to "fix" the netcode and a bunch of people downloaded the hack willy nilly. What a shame.

We have lots of proof that this does help.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Small sample size but I finally gave in and tried it. Played 3 opponents in Casual and all 3 went pretty well but had some minor issues. First and third match I feel like I felt some SF4 style delay. Second I just noticed some lag but overall all 3 went well.

That doesn't tell me enough though because I was never in that boat where half or most of my matches were truly awful like some have said here. I get plenty of laggy matches as well, but most of the time it's good or playable for me. But I'll keep at it and see how it continues to feel.

I'm still not a fan of rolling it out like this. He's working on a better version of this that doesn't affect others and I wished he had done that in the first place. I'm not in favor of hurting cross play for this. But like I said, it was never that bad for me so that's why I feel that way.

I don't know what Capcom will do but they're very well aware of the situation and I hope whatever they do can benefit everyone.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like I can no longer play a game that I purchased twice because somebody decided to "fix" the netcode and a bunch of people downloaded the hack willy nilly. What a shame.

Not only is there a lot of proof that it works but this just reads like hyperbole. You can "no longer play the game" because there's a chance you run into someone on PC using the modification?

Chances are you'll play someone laggy (which isnt uncommon) and confirmation bias dictates that its those filthy PC modders and not just part of a game that should have been fixed a long time ago.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
BTW I have a question regarding SFV's netplay.

With or without patch, I have a random freeze that ranges from 0.5 second to 3 seconds (if it gets really bad), once per set or once per match if I'm unlucky.

This is extremely frequent and I have not been able to pinpoint what is causing it. Sometimes I have flawless matches with no such thing, no teleport etc...

I wonder what causes the freeze. The funny thing is that it clearly also freezes my opponent.
I don't suddenly lose my health or anything like that and no teleport follows. It seems like the game having to freeze for us to resync.

I monitored my disk, CPU, and GPU and network during play and sure enough none of them dropped when the game did. I also believe it happened to me on ps4 when I played it last month.

No issue on any other game obviously. Does that ever happen to you guys ? Do you have any idea what's the cause ? Or any fix possible ?

Thanks.

Ps : And obviously now that the matches are perfect, this hiccup stands out that's why I'm trying to figure it out :) . Before I just shrugged there was too much to fix.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
With or without patch, I have a random freeze that ranges from 0.5 second to 3 seconds (if it gets really bad), once per set or once per match if I'm unlucky.

Usually freezes like that indicate a loss of connection to the opponent. Since you say it happens at least once per set, the problem is most likely on your side. Are you playing on wifi or wired? It could also be an issue with your router. Are you sharing the router with multiple people or running upload/download intensive stuff through it like streaming or torrenting?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Usually freezes like that indicate a loss of connection to the opponent. Since you say it happens at least once per set, the problem is most likely on your side. Are you playing on wifi or wired? It could also be an issue with your router. Are you sharing the router with multiple people or running upload/download intensive stuff through it like streaming or torrenting?

Wired, optic fiber.

I'm the only one using the connection. More importantly, couple of years back when I tried SFV I had similar issues. (And it was on ps4, now on PC)
Completely different router and ISP. Needless to say I have 0 issue on any other online game.
edit: It's not every set, some opponents don't give me this issue. But it happens often.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I finally tried the patch and, um, wow. I don't think i understood just how good it actually was. It was literally like playing offline against somebody right next to you. Outside of very occasional stuttering (expected of online play), 3 matches of my 2.5 hour session were noticably unstable, every single other match went smooth as butter, and have probably been the single best online FG experience I've ever had.

Regarding the crossplay issue, I noticed I got more PC opponents than usual (like 1/3 as opposed to usually 1/4 or less, maybe less PS4 players with xplay on?), but only 1 of the PS4 players was laggy on my end, and only one didn't give me a runback after our first match (maybe he suffered from the rollback issues), but everybody else rematched like usual, meaning the connection must've at least been tolerable to them.

The amazing online experience I had has only made me hate that SFV only has 2/3 for casual matches with no option to continue indefinitely. I finally was able to enjoy myself completely because lag didn't eat up my inputs or make mixups ambiguous.

TL;DR: This patch is fucking amazing, and based on nearly all of my opponents rematching, I'm pretty sure the crossplay issue is way overblown.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
TL;DR: This patch is fucking amazing, and based on nearly all of my opponents rematching, I'm pretty sure the crossplay issue is way overblown.
It's not. Much like the impressions of those who say their experience is much smoother with the patch is valid, so too is the fact that PC players with the patch playing against platforms without it introduces rollback to them.

If it wasn't, then this mod wouldn't be an issue. You might have encountered more PC players than usual because many PS4 players have filtered their matchmaking to PS4 only. Those who haven't might not care enough.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's not. Much like the impressions of those who say their experience is much smoother with the patch is valid, so too is the fact that PC players with the patch playing against platforms without it introduces rollback to them.

If it wasn't, then this mod wouldn't be an issue. You might have encountered more PC players than usual because many PS4 players have filtered their matchmaking to PS4 only. Those who haven't might not care enough.

Do you ever rematch when you encounter bad rollback against an opponent ?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Altimor said his Fix that syncs both clients even if the second player doesn't have the patch should be ready this week.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I don't understand why there isn't a message in every fighting game that tells the user "btw, a wired connection will provide a much smoother online experience for you and your opponent !" .

A ton of players don't even know how bad the average wifi is.
I think most people don't know the ideal spot for their main router to be in for stronger wifi and easy wired access.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Altimor can get this update pushed out before Capcom attempts to nuke the work that he's already done. My online playgroup uses the patch and we CANNOT go back to how the game was before. I will uninstall this game and just stick with TEKKEN 7.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL
Sorry if someone did this already, but I wanted to correct some folks on some misinformation that I just hate to see spread.

It doesnt fix shit lol.

unknown.png

There is no action game on the planet that will ever work well at 300+ ping. Most shooter players wont tolerate over 100 ping. Great rollback netcode for fighting games can get you to 150 with only minor artifacts, and 200 if you can tolerate some more obvious rollback artifacts, but 300 ping is just out of reach. There is no miracle cure. There is no magic bullet. The fix here is real and absolutely does fix a critical bug in SFV's netcode.

This pretty much takes one-sided rollback and makes it so it's now burdening the crappy connection/setup as opposed to vice versa before. As it should be. If you play on a shit connection you should deal with the consequences, not me.

Fighting games are peer to peer connections. Paying for better internet or having a 'better connection' isn't a real thing here because the only thing that matters is your direct connection with your opponent. You can't magically send him packets faster than they can send you packets. You have zero control over packet loss once the information leaves your home, just like they have zero control over this issue. The only thing you can do here is just avoid using Wifi... but if your opponent is using WiFi, packets will be lost and it will effect you both.

There really is no such thing as being 'the person with the good connection' in these p2p cases outside of the above. Its just a matter of distance(time) and loss. Thats it. Paying for "faster" internet just gives you access to a fatter pipe. You can send and receive more data at once. But these games use very little data per second, and you don't need a fat pipe to play them nicely. And no amount of upgrades will actually make the data travel faster across the world.

Anyway, I tested this patch out and it works super great, and I've read Altimore is doing a pretty smart fix that burdens the patched PC player to clock sync on behalf of both players, which sounds like it should probably work. I played vs UltraDavid from Orlando to LA and while it wasn't quite as good as KI or Skullgirls, it was still quite good and very playable. The connection didn't once frustrate us.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I would be surprised if Capcom patched anything this week beyond tournament mode (which is what the Shadaloo CRI site says). They don't usually work that fast.

I hope that the media attention to this event results in a public and positive response from Capcom. But the safest bet is to expect nothing but the worse response from Capcom.